• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Dragonar Academy 10

This episode definitely gives off some vibes of Zero no Tsukaima's final season. The show's ability to have most of its dialogue be explaining things about the world instead of expanding on the characters bugs me a bit, but there's enough small character moments in between, and compared to Mahouka it's fine. I'm also starting to feel bad for Anya. She has nowhere else to go and is stuck working for these lunatics.

I-I think I want to watch that Overman King Gainer show now. But it was directed by Tomino, who apparently has a bad reputation here.

But that hilarious opening though. I can't get it out of my head. Is Overman King Gainer one of Tomino's good shows?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not talking about this specific show, but did people actually do this?
Dropping show is another thing of course, but roaming while watching TV show/movie isn't my thing.. I just pause it, even for stuff that I dislike or make me bored.. I feel obligated to watch every sec of it, but like I said.. dropping/bailing out is another thing.

I know I did it.

Clov

Tomino's definitely directed some bad stuff, but it's not like everything he's done is bad. I really liked Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack.

On the other hand, he made Victory Gundam and Garzey's Wing. I guess that really tips it in one direction.

Haven't seen the show you're talking about though, so I can't comment.

sonicmj1

One Week Friends 8-9

8 had some really pretty lighting. I like how it subverted a lot of expectations about beach episodes. But romcom pacing is a drag.

That's why 9 was really nice. Even without considering how it finished, the developments between Shogo and Saki were the first real change to the character dynamics in that group since Saki was first introduced. But I was surprised by how much the finish got to me.
I was actually pretty mad at Kujo, even though he couldn't have known that his spite had given Fujimiya magical brain damage. With all the progress that had happened, it was easy to forget just how fragile things were.

That said, while those last minutes worked well, I really don't want the show to dwell too much on Fujimiya's past trauma, because that could strain my credulity pretty easily.

Log Horizon 20

The self sacrifice and death of Rundel Hause, his revival and transformation from a People of the Land to an Adventurer
, the feels...

Mekaku City Actors 09

Cleary,SHAFT do not fit with the future of anime
Someone please go SHAFT's office and shot Shinbo,thank you

(you will know what i'm say after watched first 2 mins of this episode)

duckroll

New Aldnoah Zero key visuals: http://www.aldnoahzero.com/

The first one reminds me a lot of a Patlabor setting. Hopefully the show captures at least some of that, where the mechs are also machines which have to be maintained by people. The second one has really natural and interesting expressions. Not something you usually see in an anime group pose of this sort.

Vs_006-1.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
New Aldnoah Zero key visuals: http://www.aldnoahzero.com/

The first one reminds me a lot of a Patlabor setting. Hopefully the show captures at least some of that, where the mechs are also machines which have to be maintained by people. The second one has really natural and interesting expressions. Not something you usually see in an anime group pose of this sort.

I really like the character designs. Hope the mech scenes use a mixture of 2D and CGI.

CorvoSol

Although Captain Earth is sort of letting me down, I'm kind of finding new hope for Aldonoah. Sure it's CG Mecha, but maybe the writing will be okay?

Please?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Daimidaler 10 just went and changed up the whole fucking show again. lol

Seriously, this show has ended up being a much better VVV. Such dumb fun.

Wow, finals were pretty annoying this semester, but now I can watch anime again(
like I even stopped watching in the first place, I think the semester got harder because of this...and games...Mario Kart 8, Love Live...
).

Touch 1

I didn't realize there was going to be an undressing sequence in this classic baseball anime. Made for an awkward moment with my mother.

Touch 1-8
I've been in a bit of an anime rut lately, so naturally the thing to do is tackle a 100+ episode series. But I think I've made a good choice with this one. Having already watched Cross Game, much of this is very familiar. The characterization so far has been excellent making what is a really simple premise a really engaging watch. The art and it's really expressive faces help there too. There's barely been any sports in it, but I imagine that will change.

And maybe it's my Cross Game born paranoia, but Kazuya has a huge death flag sitting on his head.

Touch 25-26
I was expecting
Kazuya's death
, but wow, this was really well done. The direction, and the writing here were excellent and
it's one best death sequences I've seen in something animated. It's rare to get moments like this in anime that feel so real and human. Or maybe it just connected with me more because I've had a similar experience to that scene where they are sitting in the hospital and they captured the tone and mood of it so well.

This is great, while I'm away some people starting Touch, what do you guys think about the music? I really like Kazuya and Tatsuya themes and Ohayou no asa, I always imagined someone running with a keyboard following kacchan playing it. lol
Basileus777 :
Adachi couldn't fool you or hide that death flag( Wakaba was so cute in that first episode just to die...T___T), but episode 25-26 are really great in the respect you pointed, the scene in the hospital is really amazing.
The first movie is a compilation movie of the first year of Touch. Contain plot differences, added scenes and an alternate ending. Nothing really special in my opinion, I'm not a fan of compilation movies, I would always recommend to watch the series first and if you want to watch the movie, do it afterward. Then you have the second and third movie where they do what they want with the second and third years of the story. But the fourth and the last movie are sequels to the final of the manga( The manga has one more arc than the anime.) I would recommend you watch them after you end the anime. :3

Good, good now I need Admiral Wolfdawg to keep his promise and watch it too.

Nothing can top 80s waifus!
...Hmmm, 80s waifus...and I'm back.

Although Captain Earth is sort of letting me down, I'm kind of finding new hope for Aldonoah. Sure it's CG Mecha, but maybe the writing will be okay?

Please?

Well it's Gen Urobuchi as the creator for this one, so I think that's a safe bet. Dude also did Madoka and Fate Zero.

Clov

Well it's Gen Urobuchi as the creator for this one, so I think that's a safe bet. Dude also did Madoka and Fate Zero.

He also did Psycho-Pass. I didn't think it was that bad, but it had some pretty dumb moments.

The director is the same as FateZero though, so it could turn out pretty good. I'm looking forward to it.

Weekly sales for May 26 - June 1:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1499

New and ending series:

- Infinite Stratos S2 finished up seven volumes with a 16,263 average, about a 50% drop from S1 -- and that's even with the first volume's abnormally higher sales.

Needed to be lower.

Such a terrible season

- Non Non Biyori ends a six-volume run with a commendable 8,291 average, making it one of the best-selling non-K-On cute-girls-doing-cute-things series ever. And we already know it's getting a S2 so that's certainly not all for today.

Deserves every one of those sales.

- White Album 2 ends with a 3,103 BD-only average across six volumes

Wish it was higher so a S2 would be more likely.

Strike the Blood v5 sells 4469/999, total 5,468. This show is still really, really consistent. Doens’t even have a wk2 yet and this vol is already only 11.7& behind v1. It’ll end up barely 5-6% behind after 5 vols.

Unlike WA2, I really wouldn't be surprised if this got a S2.

This is great, while I'm away some people starting Touch, what do you guys think about the music? I really like Kazuya and Tatsuya themes and Ohayou no asa, I always imagined someone running with a keyboard following kacchan playing it. lol
Basileus777 :
Adachi couldn't fool you or hide that death flag( Wakaba was so cute in that first episode just to die...T___T), but episode 25-26 are really great in the respect you pointed, the scene in the hospital is really amazing.
The first movie is a compilation movie of the first year of Touch. Contain plot differences, added scenes and an alternate ending. Nothing really special in my opinion, I'm not a fan of compilation movies, I would always recommend to watch the series first and if you want to watch the movie, do it afterward. Then you have the second and third movie where they do what they want with the second and third years of the story. But the fourth and the last movie are sequels to the final of the manga( The manga has one more arc than the anime.) I would recommend you watch them after you end the anime. :3

Good, good now I need Admiral Wolfdawg to keep his promise and watch it too.
It sounds like the movies are worth a watch, though I still have 60 episodes left in the TV series, so I should be busy for a while. And yes, the background music in this has stood out. I actually meant to post about it, but I forgot.

...Hmmm, 80s waifus...and I'm back.
I'll take Sachiko.

Narag

Edge of Tomorrow

About what could be expected from a Hollywood adaptation, was surprised it was more humorous and less fatalistic like the book and trailer were!

Clov

Don't forget he also directed Ga-Rei-Zero. lol

I thought Ga-Rei Zero was pretty fun. Nothing amazing, but a decent action series. That's how I remember it, anyway.

He also directed Wandering Son (which I absolutely loved), so for me the good outweighs the bad. This project's a toss-up though, so we'll have to see.

duckroll

Ei Aoki is a fantastic director. Aldnoah Zero is a big project by Aniplex with major talent on board, so at the very least it'll be competent but by the books.

NeonZ

Midonin

Mekaku City Actors 09

Snake? Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE.
And got that out of my system. That music video segment at the start was a little weird, with the obviously CGI characters not blending with the more traditional 2D animation that the rest of the episode contained. Once it finished and the story began in earnest, I can see why Ayano was so beloved. Anyone who encourages people via Sentai/Rider motifs is a friend of mine. The story being told through the epilogues also has some in-world context at this point. And of course, everything is Shafty as possible. Of all the Saturday shows, this has given me the most to think about.

TheRancor

I thought Ga-Rei Zero was pretty fun. Nothing amazing, but a decent action series. That's how I remember it, anyway.

He also directed Wandering Son (which I absolutely loved), so for me the good outweighs the bad. This project's a toss-up though, so we'll have to see.

Ga-rei Zero are very good, especially compared to the material source.. Its comparable to Code Breaker's anime that adored in here IMO.
I wasn't necessarily commenting about its quality but sure, I was fine with it.

Midonin

Mahouka 10

If it wasn't for that hot springs scene (which had them wearing things in the bath anyway), I wouldn't have had a lot to say. Something about magic in cars, magic in a room. Much like last time, I wonder when the title of the arc is going to come into play and they get to the metaphorical fireworks factory. Buildup is good. All the best stories need it. But as of so far, this show seems to be nothing but buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom