• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source for the movie being successful, of course. Or at least the movie's box office numbers. I mean, Nadesico wasn't a franchise tied to a single person. It's really hard to believe that it'd just end if the movie were successful, especially considering how open the movie's ending seemed to be.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood-Stage/8993/95.html

1998 -> 機動戦艦ナデシコ

(It was screened as a double feature together with one of the Slayers movie)

Jex

Daimidaler 10 just went and changed up the whole fucking show again. lol

Seriously, this show has ended up being a much better VVV. Such dumb fun.

Why do you have to cut me so deep, firehawk12? You didn't watch the masterfully insane Samurai Champloo yet you watch this trash. What gives?

Overman King Gainer - 1

0w74HIo.gif

I swear that's the cockpit guys. I SWEAR.

Yo this show is WEIRD.

Mecha design is weird.

Dancing in the episode was weird.

Pacing was weird.

cajunator

Banned
Brynhildr will have a new OP in the new episode tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/gokukoku_anime/status/475293232784359424

Song name:Fear, and loathing in Las Vegas

Wait what

Lol thats so awesome.

New Aldnoah Zero key visuals: http://www.aldnoahzero.com/

The first one reminds me a lot of a Patlabor setting. Hopefully the show captures at least some of that, where the mechs are also machines which have to be maintained by people. The second one has really natural and interesting expressions. Not something you usually see in an anime group pose of this sort.

Girl with the mop is best girl. Calling it now.

Wow, finals were pretty annoying this semester, but now I can watch anime again(
like I even stopped watching in the first place, I think the semester got harder because of this...and games...Mario Kart 8, Love Live...
).

This is great, while I'm away some people starting Touch, what do you guys think about the music? I really like Kazuya and Tatsuya themes and Ohayou no asa, I always imagined someone running with a keyboard following kacchan playing it. lol
Basileus777 :
Adachi couldn't fool you or hide that death flag( Wakaba was so cute in that first episode just to die...T___T), but episode 25-26 are really great in the respect you pointed, the scene in the hospital is really amazing.
The first movie is a compilation movie of the first year of Touch. Contain plot differences, added scenes and an alternate ending. Nothing really special in my opinion, I'm not a fan of compilation movies, I would always recommend to watch the series first and if you want to watch the movie, do it afterward. Then you have the second and third movie where they do what they want with the second and third years of the story. But the fourth and the last movie are sequels to the final of the manga( The manga has one more arc than the anime.) I would recommend you watch them after you end the anime. :3

Good, good now I need Admiral Wolfdawg to keep his promise and watch it too.

...Hmmm, 80s waifus...and I'm back.

I dont see Lum or Shampoo. This wont do!

Date A Live II: 08

OK, I'm officially on the Kurumi bandwagon now.

Better late than never. Welcome aboard the best girl train!

Needed to be lower.

Such a terrible season

Deserves every one of those sales.

Wish it was higher so a S2 would be more likely.

Unlike WA2, I really wouldn't be surprised if this got a S2.

It was terrible but you know it was the mofuwa episode that moved those discs. I honestly dont remember much else. Its incredible how forgettable it was.

Pokemon XY 29

Mother of god.

Inkay|Pikachu is nightmare inducing.

James|Ash actually pulls it off very well. That sick burn just makes everything better.

Jessie|Serena is one part no and the other part strangely arousing.

Meowth|Bonnie with the Dedenne puppet is lol material.

cajunator

Banned
Pokemon XY 29

Mother of god.

Inkay|Pikachu is nightmare inducing.

James|Ash actually pulls it off very well. That sick burn just makes everything better.

Jessie|Serena is one part no and the other part strangely arousing.

Meowth|Bonnie with the Dedenne puppet is lol material.

What in the hell is going on there?

Jex

Tomino's definitely directed some bad stuff, but it's not like everything he's done is bad. I really liked Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack.

On the other hand, he made Victory Gundam and Garzey's Wing. I guess that really tips it in one direction.

Haven't seen the show you're talking about though, so I can't comment.

Even when I 'like' a Tomino show it's still poorly directed/editied/written. That's just the kind of creator he is.

Pooya

A/Z is something I will watch to the end even if it's terrible, the curse of staff lists :\
I don't think it will be bad though, I'm just wary of Gen's sci-fi writing, he should stick to fantasy. Hope it's not filled with sucky dialog.

co1onel

Mekaku Episode 9
Can someone explain to me how in one episode it can go from this
to this
The opening was a disaster. Not just the CG animation, but the video felt lacking compared to the original. The rest of the episode seemed to make up for it though. Things are starting to come together story wise.

I can see how the end of Rebellion works thematically with the character arcs in Madoka.
While the series is about Madoka and her choice, by moving the movie to Homura's perspective, it makes sense that her obsession might drive her to undo Madoka's choice to achieve what she wants.
What bothered me was how the ending intersected with the other themes of the series, namely how everything has a cost, and how magic can't make your problems go away for free.

It makes sense that Homura would want Madoka back. But she made her wish, and she can't get more than she can win by her own hands. But suddenly at the end, love becomes the sort of magical power that can literally rewrite the laws of the universe at will just to make Homura's goals a reality. Not to trivialize what Homura went through to escape her soul gem, but is that really all it takes? Madoka's sacrifice took her entire existence, and the death of hundreds of alternate universes. Homura gets to be omnipotent just by loving Madoka really, really hard?
I don't like that shift in direction, and I don't like what it represents.

I don't believe love being the essential power
for Homura to rewrite the universe
is necessarily true. My personal viewpoint of it is that love served as a strong motivation, not as a powerhouse. To explain, in the original series Madoka
made a wish to turn herself as a universal law, or Madokami, which states she will be there in anyplace and anytime to personally burden the despair/curses of magical girls so they can pass away happily (AKA joining Madokami in her "heaven").
In Rebellion, Homura is able to
rewrite/pervert this universal law because of an fundamental flaw being built up throughout the movie: what happens if a magical girl didn't want to be saved? Thus, the physical grasping of Madokami's wrists by Homura prevented the cleansing of Homura's soul gem. The universal law was in flux because Madoka, from her original wish, did not account for a magical girl not wanting to be saved.

What happens afterwards goes heavy into the realm of theory, but I'll nonetheless give my personal take on it.
Homura's rewriting of universal law was both a result of exposing fundamental flaws (as listed above) and her emotions (love in this case) being able to corrupt her soul gem to a degree that she could change/influence it, thus becoming close to omnipotent (as is seen in Kyubey's and/or the soul gem's power to give magical girls extraordinary powers such as influencing time itself). When Homura stopped Madokami from cleansing her soul gem, Madokami was essentially split apart with Homura stealing Madoka's self and the 'kami' part going elsewhere about its business. This is backed up by Homura's explanation to Sayaka at the end that she "only stole a 'part' of Madokami", which was of course Madoka herself. Since she stole a 'part' this begs the question of where did the 'kami'/universal law part go, which I stated that it went about to do its own thing according to its fundamentals IE saving other magical girls.

So essentially, love served as a motivation but the essential reason why Homura was able to do what she did is through the
exploitation of fundamental flaws which Madoka failed to take into account originally
which in way fits naturally serving as a double-whammy against Madoka in that magic always comes at a price. The consequence shown in Rebellion is just the price
becoming too great even for Madoka.

Jex

Look at all the SHAFT up in here. Also a page of discussion about Madoka? What would Mandoric say about all this?

Even if there is another Madoka movie or season, I bet they'll still find some way to mess everything up no matter how happy it gets.

Hell, I can see it going like this:

Homura and Madoka are finally able to find a resolution together. Everyone is happy. They are both able to live normal lives. Free from Witches, Wraiths, and the Incubators. Those things were all erased from existence. When Madoka and Homura walk down the school hallway together, Madoka will turn to Homura to thank her for everything she's done and for being so reasonable in the end. There are tears in both of their eyes. They get closer and closer together as they both lean in for a passionate kiss as they can finally be happy and together forever.

And then Madoka will take off the mask she was wearing the whole time only to reveal someone far more horrifying underneath and will say:

"MWAHAHAHA YOU EXPECTED MADOKA TO BE YOUR FIRST KISS BUT IT WAS ME DIO!"

URRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

...I deeply apologize for that. But seeing as I am just getting into the show, I felt like I needed to make the joke at least once, lol.

Articalys

Here's the two new announcements from Aniplex US:
http://aniplexusa.com/oreimo/

oreimo2_asset.jpg

Oreimo S2 DVD boxset, August 5. $80.

Bonus Contents
■Textless Openings
■Textless Endings of ALL 16 episodes
■Preview Videos by SD Characters
■Special Short Movies by SD Characters
■"Gal-ge" ( Style Short Movies)
■Web Version Previews

Bonus Materials & Special Package
■16 Pin-up Postcards of "Ending Cards" of ALL 16 Episodes
■44-page Deluxe Booklet of Character Designs & Art Gallery, and Creator Messages!!
■From Chiba to the World Poster (Featuring Kirino and Kuroneko)

SPECIAL PACKAGE
■Deluxe Box with TOTALLY New and Exclusive Illustration by Hiroyuki Oda (Character Design)
■Reversible DVD Case Wraps
http://aniplexusa.com/monogatarisecondseason/

zoom2.jpg

Kabukimonogatari BD set, August 26. $50.

Bonus Contents
■"“Omnibus 2” Video (approx 25min)
■Textless Opening and Ending
■PV & CM Collections

Bonus Materials & Special Package
■Deluxe Booklet
■Pinup Postcard Set
■Package Illustrated by AKIO WATANABE (character design)

Captain Earth 10

OH LOOK A GIRL WITH BLUE HAIR INTRODUCED AT THE BEGINNING OF THE EPISODE, I WONDER IF SHE IS A DESIGNERS CHILD.
This time however, the magic awakening kissu came from the blue guy so it wasn't a yuri magic awakening kissu. I've been had.

This show probably has the most laid out on the floor for you pairings I've ever seen. Daichi -> Hana and Akarai -> Teppei. It's almost set in stone already, unless they're just baiting and switching as hard as they can.

So, the preview said there's only two more members of Team Rocket to assemble so I'm assuming it'll start to get real after that. I hope. And this -

wSqjrvT.jpg

Also, Teppei's mech is awesome.

Nafe

I'm not sure who all here listens to the Bravo Whiskey podcast that firehawk is a part of but in one of the episodes Crazy Canuck mentioned something like the sites archiving had reached its limit and older episodes would basically be deleted to make room for newer ones.

I'm not sure if firehawk has mentioned it here,(or if he even knows?),but the previous episodes have actually been put up on archive.org and so you can still go back and give them a listen if you haven't. You can find them here if you're interested: https://archive.org/details/BravoWhiskey

Basically firehawk's hate for Sword Art Online and love for Gravity have been preserved in audio format for at least a little while longer,haha.

Lol thats so awesome.

Girl with the mop is best girl. Calling it now.

I dont see Lum or Shampoo. This wont do!

Better late than never. Welcome aboard the best girl train!

It was terrible but you know it was the mofuwa episode that moved those discs. I honestly dont remember much else. Its incredible how forgettable it was.

Sorry cajun but Ryuunosuke>Lum.
To tell the truth Ryuunosuke>Benten>Sakura-sensei>Lum.
But here some bakeneko Lum for ya.

Only with the Infinite Power of Webm™:
http://a.pomf.se/jujdju.webm

That episode was awesome, I was going to recommend Katanagatari to Corvo when he ended the Monogatari Series, because the only cure to NisiOisiN is more NisiOisiN.

cajunator

Banned

Oreimo 2 can get fucked.
I will purchase Kabuki.

Sorry cajun but Ryuunosuke>Lum.

To tell the truth Ryuunosuke>Benten>Sakura-sensei>Lum.
But here some bakeneko Lum for ya.

That episode was awesome, I was going to recommend Katanagatari to Corvo when he ended the Monogatari Series, because the only cure to NisiOisiN is more NisiOisiN.

squeeeee Lum is the besttttttttttttt

cnet128

Banned
So I finally finished Unlimited Blade Works. Got the True End, got the Good End (not necessarily in that order), went back and selected every single possible choice and got all the Bad Ends (I'm not obsessive or anything I swear). That was pretty good stuff, though I dread to think how many hours it stole from my life.

I'm half tempted to just say I'm done with the game, because anything and everything is inevitably going to be a downgrade after delicious Rin route, but I guess I have to see what all the fuss is about Heaven's Feel =p Worst girl route, here I come! (At least it apparently contains plenty of Illya…)

I hope fate stay night focuses on the grimdark and not on the cute harem crap. Since its ufotable and they're making it to be a sequel to fate zero I have high hopes.

Clov

Haha, DVD only for OreImo 2. Guess the first Blu-Ray set did pretty bad.

Nice to see the Monogatari Second Season Blu-Rays continuing to release. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be able to get Koimonogatari by the end of the year.

Conan-san

Even if there is another Madoka movie or season, I bet they'll still find some way to mess everything up no matter how happy it gets.

Hell, I can see it going like this:

Homura and Madoka are finally able to find a resolution together. Everyone is happy. They are both able to live normal lives. Free from Witches, Wraiths, and the Incubators. Those things were all erased from existence. When Madoka and Homura walk down the school hallway together, Madoka will turn to Homura to thank her for everything she's done and for being so reasonable in the end. There are tears in both of their eyes. They get closer and closer together as they both lean in for a passionate kiss as they can finally be happy and together forever.

And then Madoka will take off the mask she was wearing the whole time only to reveal someone far more horrifying underneath and will say:

"MWAHAHAHA YOU EXPECTED MADOKA TO BE YOUR FIRST KISS BUT IT WAS ME DIO!"

URRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

...I deeply apologize for that. But seeing as I am just getting into the show, I felt like I needed to make the joke at least once, lol.

That would just be amazing to see.

Team Rocket
Hilarity ensues.
Pretty much Pokemon's bread and butter for the last 17 years.

Rhapsody

Banned
So I finally finished Unlimited Blade Works. Got the True End, got the Good End (not necessarily in that order), went back and selected every single possible choice and got all the Bad Ends (I'm not obsessive or anything I swear). That was pretty good stuff, though I dread to think how many hours it stole from my life.

I'm half tempted to just say I'm done with the game, because anything and everything is inevitably going to be a downgrade after delicious Rin route, but I guess I have to see what all the fuss is about Heaven's Feel =p Worst girl route, here I come! (At least it apparently contains plenty of Illya…)

Yup, worst girl route. HF is pretty cool for how different it is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom