• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

To Heart 2 04-06

nezKBqm.png

wH6TO2N.png

The power of foreshadowing.

Very little Tamaki in these episodes. Once again, I continue to see the parallels intentionally being drawn between the girls of the series. The Occult/Mystery Clubs are similar in function, but Sasamori is much more active Serika, up to and including blackmail. And the weird foreigner girl isn't American, but alien. And then there's Yuma. Hitomi Nabatame certainly gave her all for this performance, for someone who refuses to lose. The stories intertwined in a way that feels natural. This is a show that spent a while outside the school before it ever got to the opening ceremony. It's taking its time. Now that most of the girls from the OP - except for the twins - are gathered, I'm looking forward to what more and varied interactions come about because of this.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Clearly, the lesson I learned from Ojamajo Doremi applies from this point on. Previews are full of shit, which actually applies to the next episode too.
I remember one Doremi preview that deliberately misconstrued a single shot to be a massive deal but then it was a total non-issue in the actual ep and very much an afterthought.

I remember one Doremi preview that deliberately misconstrued a single shot to be a massive deal but then it was a total non-issue in the actual ep and very much an afterthought.

I also remember the beginning preview where they were complaining about how Father's Day gets little rep. Granted, we already knew it was full of shit before we even started, but still.

Mononoke

Banned
*squees like a happy bouncing penguin

It really was amazing. It's been a long time since I've seen a film that felt like such a complete experience front to back. I mean, I've seen great films. But usually I can find things to nitpick (such as scenes not working, or story beats/pacing not always feeling right). But this movie front to back was so beautiful. Everything from the structure to the overall story and its themes. The ending moved me to tears, it was stunning.

I just watched Tokyo Godfathers and I liked that film a lot too. I was slightly disappointed, because I thought there was a lot set up for some really strong/emotional scenes. All the pieces were there, and I really expected the film to hit me hard (especially when it came to the moments that led these people to become homeless). But it never quite reached that. Which is fine, the movie wasn't trying to be melodramatic, it was funny and touching. And I did enjoy it for what it was going for.

I'm really glad I went back and checked out his other work. My introduction to Kon was Paprika. While I enjoyed it, I didn't love it entirely (mostly the script). I'm going to watch Perfect Blue next.

EDIT: Millennium Actress soundtrack is sooo good. :D

Clov

Even the Media Blasters panel at AnimeNEXT got cancelled. That company sure has a rough time of things.

That's so incredibly sad. I wonder when this company is finally going to collapse.

That reminds me, I need to pick up that Squid Girl Blu-Ray they put out at some point. I probably should have gotten it while it was still in print. Oh well!

cnet128

Banned
Captain Earth 10

I wish one of these days the team would get to one of the Designer Children before the bad guys do. It would be interesting to see how things played out if they could explain the situation to one of them pre-awakening and see how they would handle it.

Then again, that's neither here nor there with regard to this particular episode, since our Designer Child of the week seemed like the most "natural" awakening we've had yet. There was barely any shift in personality, and even before her awakening she didn't seem particularly attached to humanity, and seemed to be aware on some level that she was meant for something different.

Oh, and Teppei finally getting in on the action again was nice. He still seems much more awesome in combat than Daichi has ever been ~.~

Quasar

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 10

The biggest mystery of this show is why I'm still watching it when it's been consistently dull for ten episodes now.

Well for me its just starting to get interesting as its stuff hadn't read and we see some students finally question oniisama and his reason for being there.

Quasar

Seikoku no Dragonar 10

At any rate, this episode contained higher-than-usual quantities of Eco being adorable, so I guess I'm satisfied. The handholding scene was extremely delicious.

I was pretty bummed about it all. No Rebecca and too much Eco.

Quasar

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii 9 - Continues to be just lovely, even if I've already read the part of the manga the show covers. Makes sense that the season would round out with this arc.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diamond no Ace Episode 35:

As much as I enjoy this show I am getting just a tad sick and tired of the pacing being shot to shit via everybody and their mother over-analyzing every damn pitch and swing.

jbug617

Banned
Apparently Funimation announced that they got the rights to DBZ: Battle of the Gods and they are doing a Hellsing: Ultimate Collection. Still waiting on twitter for their confirmation

Articalys

My bad, forgot the noitaminA show since it was also an abnormally early pickup.

Maybe this is a sign that this season we won't have to wait until the day before each show airs to know if it's being simulcast or not!

Ecchi Tsuu - 05~10
fPWpSoM.jpg

How could someone trust this guy?
Even if he was more normal I would still want a second opinion if it's my health on the line, but God must have wanted to see it, maybe next year if Senkawa gets a official club...wait, what? Right now...Senkawa Baseball Fan Club is fucked alright!
I really like Hiro and Hikari conversations, she doesn't pull any punches.
Why japanese old mans have to be so creepy, it's already two outs with Koga.

NeonZ

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood-Stage/8993/95.html

1998 -> 機動戦艦ナデシコ

(It was screened as a double feature together with one of the Slayers movie)

Thanks. So, 500 million yens? Doesn't seem like a big number though. And it was also the end of the full length Slayers movies... I guess it didn't "bomb", but it doesn't sound like it was "highly successful" either. Looking at those number it even did worse than the X/Slayers double feature.

cajunator

Banned
It really was amazing. It's been a long time since I've seen a film that felt like such a complete experience front to back. I mean, I've seen great films. But usually I can find things to nitpick (such as scenes not working, or story beats/pacing not always feeling right). But this movie front to back was so beautiful. Everything from the structure to the overall story and its themes. The ending moved me to tears, it was stunning.

I just watched Tokyo Godfathers and I liked that film a lot too. I was slightly disappointed, because I thought there was a lot set up for some really strong/emotional scenes. All the pieces were there, and I really expected the film to hit me hard (especially when it came to the moments that led these people to become homeless). But it never quite reached that. Which is fine, the movie wasn't trying to be melodramatic, it was funny and touching. And I did enjoy it for what it was going for.

I'm really glad I went back and checked out his other work. My introduction to Kon was Paprika. While I enjoyed it, I didn't love it entirely (mostly the script). I'm going to watch Perfect Blue next.

EDIT: Millennium Actress soundtrack is sooo good. :D

Its Kon's absolute masterpiece. The most perfect expression of his ideas and directing style and a perfect blend of fantasy and reality so seamlessly blended you arent quite sure whats real or not. It gives me an incredible feeling while watching it, as though Im watching one of the very greatest dxpressions in film of any medium. It is a very special captivating movie.
I seriously could gush about it for a whole night.
i love it soooooooooooooo much.

Midonin

Kawaisou 10

Yay, minor characters! Hayashi learning to accept that her weird, ghost-chasing self may actually have someone who shares her hobbies and is perfect for her is kinda cute. In a way, this show is giving me some minor vibes to, of all things, Bob's Burgers. It's a celebration of weirdness, and people being accept of others' oddities, because we're all in this together. The return of Chinatsu was also welcome. Books, weirdoes, dirty jokes, this show has everything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why do you have to cut me so deep, firehawk12? You didn't watch the masterfully insane Samurai Champloo yet you watch this trash. What gives?
Old anime etc.
And hey, I appreciate that this show knows what it is and also just goes for it without any pretensions. Rare for what amounts to a show built around sex jokes. lol

Nafe

Happiness Charge Precure 19

Nafe being a MASSIVE dick to madp. What gives? ;)

HappinessCharge Precure 19

And Nafe pulls one of the biggest dick moves I've ever seen done by a Cure, and I've thrown Berry and ACE (CotW) under the bus for doing dick things.

I mean, first was all "MADPRINCESS IS A SHIT, STOP HANGING WITH HER!" because of opening a present meant for someone else,
to straight up ignoring the fact that madp exists.And then going: YO! HITO, KIRBYUUYUU (ignores madp's existence. I'm not fucking joking), JOIN ME FOR IT IS I, CURE FORTUNE! SHE REVEALED HERSELF IN ORDER TO STEAL THEM FROM MADP

I mean jesus christ, I was ready to say Happy Nafe is a miracle of the universe, and chances are, will be true when the dust settles, but right now... jesus christ. Also doesn't help how Nafe has a similar attack to madp. The only difference is that hers actually does shit. Talk about throwing madp under a bus

These are just kind of weird to read,haha.

I'm a couple of weeks, maybe one?, behind on HapCha, so I'll find out the story later.

Crocodile

As someone who watched and enjoyed Madoka, I need to watch Rebellion at some point so that I can have an opinion on it :p

New Aldnoah Zero key visuals: http://www.aldnoahzero.com/

The first one reminds me a lot of a Patlabor setting. Hopefully the show captures at least some of that, where the mechs are also machines which have to be maintained by people. The second one has really natural and interesting expressions. Not something you usually see in an anime group pose of this sort.

Main characters, females even, that look like they are over the age of 20?

93e76043_tumblr_mcb2suvtqd1qagc1ao1_500.gif

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Captain Earth 10

I wish one of these days the team would get to one of the Designer Children before the bad guys do. It would be interesting to see how things played out if they could explain the situation to one of them pre-awakening and see how they would handle it.

Then again, that's neither here nor there with regard to this particular episode, since our Designer Child of the week seemed like the most "natural" awakening we've had yet. There was barely any shift in personality, and even before her awakening she didn't seem particularly attached to humanity, and seemed to be aware on some level that she was meant for something different.

Oh, and Teppei finally getting in on the action again was nice. He still seems much more awesome in combat than Daichi has ever been ~.~

They ran into them first twice. They just didn't make out with them. Poker guy was just a normal dude and Teppei decided to be not bad, so far.

Branduil

New Aldnoah Zero key visuals: http://www.aldnoahzero.com/

The first one reminds me a lot of a Patlabor setting. Hopefully the show captures at least some of that, where the mechs are also machines which have to be maintained by people. The second one has really natural and interesting expressions. Not something you usually see in an anime group pose of this sort.

The director, studio, and art are all promising. But it's still hard to believe in another gundam-like show.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 7

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ZEEEPPPPIIILLLLLLLLLE! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

And immediatley after that they show Dio turning a mother into a zombie who then eats her son. Effing Dio.

All right, only eight episodes in but (apparently) it's final showdown time next episode! GOOOOOOO

Soma

Started watching Chaika today. I dunno I guess I was just itching for a nice action-fantasy series. Couple episodes in and yeah it's actually pretty decent. It's got a nice adventurous spirit and the few action scenes shown have been competently done. Despite the dumb speech pattern, Chaika herself is growing on me too.

So I guess that's now a total of four shows I'm into this season alongside Ping Pong, JoJo, and Mushishi.

Soma

Chaika Ep. 4

Pfffffffft.

Of course the not-sister is actually in love with her not-brother.

And of course
the dragoon turns into a little girl thus adding to Toru's harem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom