• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

looks kinda bad

imPCV8l65PIEI.jpg

I'm really enjoying Baby Steps. I've played sports my entire life so I'm naturally drawn to the sub-genre of anime of which there are plenty this year! I thought Haikyuu!! would be the one to beat, but I think I'm enjoying Baby Steps even more. His repetitive, obsessively analytical approach to tennis is super fascinating.
Untitled_34344.png

Yowapeda had great promise,
but it's too drawn out and the emphasis on, "friends, friends, I want to ride with my friends!" is killing me.
While Onoda's actions are admirable, I'm just not a fan of his character.

Baby Steps also has one of the best openings I've heard in awhile. It's crawled deep inside my brain and I can't remove it. I'm OK with that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xLFYRy2C0Y

Midonin

That design isn't even the girliest thing I've seen.

That award goes to Sugar Sugar Rune.

Sailor Moon 09-10

The clock episode was fun, with everyone's screwed up Circadian rhythms. Buses seem to be a thing in today's episodes, for some reason. Having more heroines than Usagi around is doing some good things for the dynamics of the show. Though Ami's supercomputer seems almost quaint. An iPod can do everything that can and more, and it doesn't require a tiny manual keyboard. The glasses are still pretty sweet. Rei's debut was all but identical to how it was in PGSM, so that's consistent. Never saw her grandpa, though. He seems kinda like Happosai, from what I know of Happosai. Rei's transform and everything about her is awesome. In any other show, fire would be the power of the lead hero, but in magical girl series, fire is usually secondary (Akane, Rin) while the heroine is something like love. Things are starting to pick up.

Setre

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 1-13 Blu-Ray

Wanted to watch something I hadn’t seen in a while so I bought the blu-ray collection of the Tenchi OVAs. I’m not sure why it doesn’t include all of OVAs but I never saw past these particular episodes anyway so it’s all good. I enjoyed watching these again and was surprised I actually remembered bits and pieces from episodes since I usually have a shitty memory. Tenchi was actually my first harem series before I even knew what harem was and while I haven’t seen many other harem shows I still consider Tenchi the best.

Ryoko is still best girl followed by Washu

Youkai Watch 14

7e6vntal.jpg

Fun episode of not being too flash vs staying in the shadows. I enjoy the reaction faces too.

Puchimas!! 57

Puchimas at the office.

Yowamushi Pedal 35

The oni has awaken.

Pocket Monsters XY 30

Corni is a lot more likable than what I remember from the game.

Isshuukan Friends 10

No surprise the drama is dragging this down but the beta couple is still the best.

Acid08

Banned
Finished up Gundam Build Fighters, what a super fun show. Huge celebration of the franchise and I appreciated how tonally similar it was to G(tha best) at times. And their marketing gimmick worked, I have Gundam models sitting in my Amazon cart >_>

fertygo

Love Live! S2 - 10

The time skip is pretty neat, its good idea to avoid the overdone feeling of the climax (which already is seeing the last ep) and setting the low-key tone that just the best for the show, building everything up for that last scene, they picking such a great and fitting catchphrase too.

This one still the best though.

phaze

Durarara !! 10-12

Miria ! <3

r1b4otj4msrh.jpg

Of all the twists at the end of this arc ...

Truly, true love conquers anything.
Even getting your head smashed in by your prospective lover

The whole Dollars organization and their "leader" is a bit far fetched but okay. If I was in Celty's place I would rip
Shinra
apart but apparently celtic fairies how much bigger tolerance for lying scumbags.

Very fun denouement to this set of episodes. Izaya is massive troll.

Went to watch Code Geass on youtube, and the only videos of the show have a huge border around the left side and the bottom of the video, and the top of the video is cut off. The videos have a bunch of positive comments, and no one has commented on the bizarre borders or the cut off video. What gives? If it's illegal to put Code Geass up on youtube then fine, just don't put them up, I don't want them put up if it's illegal, but why put them up in such a weird way? And why does no one comment on the bizarre way they were put up? Is it some sort of weird advertising by the company who made the show? What the hell?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jojo the only worthwhile entry on that list.

Lacus is eternal.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Where can I buy that Hunter x Hunter 50meters of hair Gon online? Japanese websites that I can't understand make me nervous.

Narag

Went to watch Code Geass on youtube, and the only videos of the show have a huge border around the left side and the bottom of the video, and the top of the video is cut off. The videos have a bunch of positive comments, and no one has commented on the bizarre borders or the cut off video. What gives? If it's illegal to put Code Geass up on youtube then fine, just don't put them up, I don't want them put up if it's illegal, but why put them up in such a weird way? And why does no one comment on the bizarre way they were put up? Is it some sort of weird advertising by the company who made the show? What the hell?

It's to avoid being autoflagged by youtube as copyrighted content.

It's to avoid being autoflagged by youtube as copyrighted content.

I see, thanks. I don't know how people can watch the show like that at all though. You can't even see the whole screen as it was meant to be seen. Well, whatever. Wish they'd put it up on Crunchyroll or Hulu or something. I guess it's too old to bother putting up on those services.

sonicmj1

Busy times lately, but backlog season rolls on.

Spice and Wolf 9

Given the way they built tension in the last episode, this one was surprisingly uneventful. A good occasion to meet a new character, get to a new place, and see Holo tease Lawrence in new ways.

That dog is totally a god like Holo

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 6 - END

iIlDQC3dSrYNQ.jpg

Ah, the future as imagined by people before the internet. I haven't used a phone book in ages.

There were a few kind of odd things about the pacing (like
it was weird how the nuke gets removed as a threat completely off-screen
), but this was a great conclusion to everything that built in the last three episodes. For a Japanese story about a kid learning about the horrors of war, this was actually good at knowing when to let up on the melodrama, and just give the characters room to react to what was happening. Al and Bernie's arcs are both handled really well.

It's kind of amazing that this whole story was made within the confines of the Gundam universe. Even moreso than 08th MS Team, it avoids a lot of the cliches that I feel are associated with the series, dialing in on a very small tale of relatively ordinary people. Because of that, it can explore war and soldiers in ways that can't really be done in a story about special pilots with the latest giant robots who have to fight for the sake of the world. And with the somewhat excusable exception of the Arctic Base battle at the start, it never succumbs to the temptation to put spectacle above the gritty, painful reality they're trying to sell. Those battles remain intense, but there's always an awareness of the humans inside the suits, on both sides.

iwNmnjOD51Rgx.jpg

Not only is this a really clever way to juxtapose Al's emotional state and the mundane everyday, but
there's also a spelling error

I wish Al's friends were handled better, though. I know they wanted to present people who loved war's fantasy without understanding it, but even by that standard they seem impossibly out of touch all the time, and the things they do with Al made the first two episodes dissonant. But once the story focuses more on Bernie, the ideas at work start to come alive.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Does anyone know how/why it rains in space colonies?

cajunator

Banned
Nintendo better reveal a lot about the new Zelda game today

Usagi's face while they're sitting at the table gets to me.

nightmare fuel

It's the only reason she can be considered a good character. Imagine is she didn't have the grumpy side, oh dear oh dear oh dear.

But she doessssss

Jojo the only worthwhile entry on that list.

Lacus is eternal.

I dont understand why Lacus is so well liked. Is it the Gundam effect? I dont know much about Lacus.

You people need to stop reminding me that this exists! My will is only so strong :c

cajunator

Banned
Its too good, the hair looks amazing. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

that lock of hair over her face too for maximum hnng. Its such a pretty figurine. wouldnt it liven up your room? What else would you do with that money that would bring so much happiness?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom