• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

This isn't really related to the current anime season but I've been trying to
legally
obtain Urasawa's Monster digitally but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is my only real option for getting it to buy boxsets and whatnot?

fertygo

legally
obtain Urasawa's Monster digitally but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is my only real option for getting it to buy boxsets and whatnot?

I think so.

cajunator

Banned
legally

Unfortunately you can really only legally purchase the first half of the show and theres no digital version.

There is no returning from this.

Youll be ok. Just let it consume you. It will all be over soon ^^

Midonin

If Her Flag Breaks 10

One of the first things I check when getting into an anime where a famous VA is the singer is "Do they have a role in the series?". Most of the time it's yes, but not always. Aoi Yuki's first single (World Conquest) didn't have her in there at all, and Riddle doesn't have any Maaya Uchida in it. Yuki had a bonus track for the OP single be a song for her character, so she was going to show up eventually. Two episodes before the end.

The beauty contest was fun. Everyone played to their running gags in perfect sync, and the eternally unflaggable Nanami managed to break a screen with her tsundere power. So, a fun time was had by all. Even small things like that monologue by Seitokoji at the start of the episode were great. The show's juggling a lot of characters, but doing a pretty good job of it.

Narag

The Skull Man - 1-2

I'm not enjoying this so much, the visual looked uninteresting.. but I think the problem is I'm not expecting this kind of detective drama from this and expecting something that more action packed, on other occasion probably I could enjoy it more.

I'd give it until episode 3 myself. Felt the same way before I got hooked then.

Narag

Bp1qpepCUAALgH6.jpg:large

duckroll

Soul Eater Not - Episode 10

VX4dTzD.jpg

It's been TEN episodes, do we really still have to ask?!

This show has pretty poor production issues most of the time. This episode was mostly a dramatic set up for what looks to be the big climax for the show. Pity it doesn't really feel that engaging nor does it look great. Nothing to really get "hyped" about, but at least it sort of promises that the final episodes might have action. Hopefully decent action at least. This show really doesn't work well as a dramatic or action packed series though. It's hard to care about all that when the strength of the show is the heavy yuri aspect as well as how the comedy elements have potential to be funny. Mostly a wasted opportunity, but I'll be watching to the end anyway. :(

--

Chaika - Episode 10

Now this on the other hand is a great example of how even without the best production values, something can still be engaging and entertaining. Similar to SE Not, this episode is basically the setup for the big climax of this season. It puts all the elements in place, teases the action set pieces which we'll be expecting in the final two episodes, and sets the stage for a large scale end. It helps that I actually like the characters in this show, and I care about the narrative being presented. It's obviously not the most original thing, but it feels well executed and a lot of fun. :)

fertygo

Gunbuster - 06 (rewatch)

This episode won't ever be topped.. the scale of ambition man, its just incredible.. you can tell there's bunch of talented person behind this that brimming with passion to execute this sophisticated story, this is why I'll always put above Gunbuster above Diebuster and TTGL, the science consequences concept like time differential that Gunbuster had adding several layer of Pathos in the story and make it not just simply story about giant robot wrecking shit across galaxy saving humanity, on top of that its told in such a easy way to understand, for such a story that involving such a complicated element its a frigging achievement for the writing to not felt convoluted at all.

Also the use of black and white, the music.. oh wow, the production team brainstorming for this eps probably involving a lot of yelling, choking each other, gazing at hot ramen.. and ended up with hugfest, that's what in my head.
Okay, that sell me.

cajunator

Banned
Soul Eater Not - Episode 10

This show has pretty poor production issues most of the time. This episode was mostly a dramatic set up for what looks to be the big climax for the show. Pity it doesn't really feel that engaging nor does it look great. Nothing to really get "hyped" about, but at least it sort of promises that the final episodes might have action. Hopefully decent action at least. This show really doesn't work well as a dramatic or action packed series though. It's hard to care about all that when the strength of the show is the heavy yuri aspect as well as how the comedy elements have potential to be funny. Mostly a wasted opportunity, but I'll be watching to the end anyway. :(

--

Chaika - Episode 10

Now this on the other hand is a great example of how even without the best production values, something can still be engaging and entertaining. Similar to SE Not, this episode is basically the setup for the big climax of this season. It puts all the elements in place, teases the action set pieces which we'll be expecting in the final two episodes, and sets the stage for a large scale end. It helps that I actually like the characters in this show, and I care about the narrative being presented. It's obviously not the most original thing, but it feels well executed and a lot of fun. :)

Your hype finally worked out Ducky

legally

No longer available digitally for streaming/purchase for a few months now. Going to have to import the five Japanese R2 DVD boxsets, or the five Australian R4 DVD boxsets from Siren Visual. Quite disappointed with how VIZ handled the series, even though they are re-releasing the manga.

Unfortunately you can really only legally purchase the first half of the show and theres no digital version.

Only the first 15 of 74 episodes were physically released by VIZ, so not even half.

Huh weird, this is the first kinda negative stuff I've heard about it. I like it so far. Just got introduced to pink haired space idol. Some of the faces look hella fucked up though. Some real good dead fish eyes.

Well the Seed is the most popular Gundam series in Japan since the original so a lot of people also liked it. It just doesn't have the best reputation amongst the hardcore base of Gundam. I guess they hate the melodramatic nature of it.

cajunator

Banned
No longer available digitally for streaming/purchase for a few months now. Going to have to import the five Japanese R2 DVD boxsets, or the five Australian R4 DVD boxsets from Siren Visual. Quite disappointed with how VIZ handled the series, even though they are re-releasing the manga.

Only the first 15 of 74 episodes were physically released by VIZ, so not even half.

shit youre right. It was three discs. Viz sucks. I forgot how few it actually was.

Syrinx

The Hurricanes won't ever be relevant again, not for years to come unless they gut the organization imo.

2015-16 seems to be the fork in the road with contracts for Eric Staal and Cam Ward, as well as others like Jay Harrison, so hopefully Ron Francis has some plan for what to do then. They could always go down the "tank for McDavid" route and hope they hit the jackpot I suppose.

No Game No Life - 10

Shit is getting real in
VR Akihabara (or Tokyo?).
The introduction of this new setting is bound to get some laughs in the next two episodes, can't wait.

Episode 3 is where the action moments kick in and the tokusatsu side of the narrative makes itself evident - though I like the detective drama myself and would have been happy to see it continue along those lines.

cnet128

Banned
Hitsugi no Chaika 10

Flying fortresses and captive maidens and daring infiltrations and
treacherous hooded strangers
and
mind-control magic complete with glowing red eyes
... This is all far too much fun to be allowed. Such adventure. Very yes.

Why don't I have the next episode right here now.

I stopped paying attention to him after Chapter 10 or something of Negima. What has he done since?
Lol the first 14 chapter of negima were a trap to fool his editors ... after he slowly turn it into a full magic shonen battle over the course of each arc . Negima has 2 magical battle tournaments arc and 4 training arcs and a whole "other world arc" just like many others shonens !!
You cannot judge negima if you've stopped so ealy , the whole package is quite different than what you'd expect.

No Game No Life 10

I think Sora should've taken up on that offer to turn him into a girl. Especially if Chiwa Saito ended up voicing him/her. Add that to a very yuri-tastic master/slave/lover/friend relationship and
the stage of the VR game being moved to the holy land Akihabara
and I can declare this intermediary episode a winner in many senses of the word.
No , it's a one way trip. As much as i wouldn't mind A ultra powerfull yuri gamer duo , it would limits their possibilities in the long run.
I OBJECT!
Guess Negima is on hold again? xD
Negima is over, now we are in "UQ holder" ( same universe , 60 years later ) it's a battle shonen featuring immortal people".
Isn't SEED supposed to be good though?

Like I heard crap about Destiny but I hear a lot of good things about SEED season 1.

I'm 16 episodes into SEED as I say this, does it really all go downhill?
No Seed is enjoyable from start to finish. Destiny is "meh" , goes "ok" for a couple of eps , and then goes downhill untill you reach the earth core.
No Game no Life 10
Even though I read the light novels and knew this was coming, I still managed to laugh my ass off at multiple parts this episode
(actually, if they continue adapting the way they have been, I may actually die of laughter next episode)
. The next two episodes are going to be a real treat to watch. Still, I can't believe there is only two episodes of this left. It better get a second season by next year at the latest.
Second season is needed , badly if only to see more of the cast.

Do you need your face or brain rearranged? What is your major malfunction?

Negima remains my favorite to this day.

Negima is one of my favorites too !
matt-smith.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
They're cute girls who turn into tentacled creatures and cover themselves in goo.

It would be a crime not to tap that kind of potential.
Covered in goo? They ARE goo. The whole game is a battle between different masses of goo with spawned entities acting as agents for their slime. When they get splattered they lose definition as entities and become regular slime.

All that said, it's also showing how the premise doesn't have to be sexual.

cajunator

Banned
I meant soul eater not. Shouldve specified.

Ah. yeah that one requires some major Bones love.

Nichijou anime guide book gotten today:

Jelly!

Covered in goo? They ARE goo. The whole game is a battle between different masses of goo with spawned entities acting as agents for their slime. When they get splattered they lose definition as entities and become regular slime.

All that said, it's also showing how the premise doesn't have to be sexual.

theyre just cuties. Im gonna draw fanart of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom