• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Durarara !! 23

pdvd_591vns0n.jpg

And redemption it is
. Shit will go down and hopefully a certain someone will get his shit wrecked.

Chariot

Time for my daily dose of Idol.

The iDOLM@STER 06

It may be my imagination, but Iori gets better every episode. Her smile is very cute, when it's sincere. Still don't like the twins, but they get generally so small screentime that I'm ok with them. The custums were indeed very cute and the song very well sounding. Miki was interesting too, such a soft ambition. Producer was super stupid this episode, I get that he was ambitious, but there were basic stuff that went wrong.
Iori pretty much redeemed, Miki still in my favorites.

The iDOLM@STER 07

Iori is rich, huh (finally redeemed). She started this episode a bit annoying again, but she got better very fast. She and poor Yaoi make a nice team for storys. Her family is nice, too. Song was kinda random, but sure, why not. Hibiki shined too, she would be a great big sister.
I really liked this episode, all three girls and Yayois family were interesting and funny. The little drama wasn't anything special, but it worked even further develop the three.

The iDOLM@STER 08

Well, this is it. I am in despair. Should I ship Miki x Makoto or Yukiho x Makoto?
The over-the-top bodyguards where pretty funny, especially in contrast to the every calm Azusa. Her Ara Ara is killing me with hnnng. Her walking through the city and helping people left and right was maybe a bit too much, but at some point it got so silly, that it was fun. I swear, a bit more and she would've cured cancer.
Makoto full of energy, fighting to save one of ther Waifus was pretty fun, too. (but how did she manage to mistake the real bride with Azusa, even from behing, her hairs are totally different). Better action with her then some actual action anime. The short cuts to the fights reminded me of that one Person of Interest episode with Fusco and the model.
Mister Oil Baron and the super random solution were fun, too. Great enjoyment, can't believe that all that stuff happened in one episode.

Episodes 7 and 8 were my favorite episodes so far and now I am really happy to watch this show. It's really fun.

Favorites now still Miki, Hibiki, Makoto and Yayoi. Iori is on the edge to it, as well as Azusa, her Ara Ara got me. Well, I think I like Iori now, but my Kugumiya trauma is still haunting me. The rest is still Honoka-tier.

Alright, after about 27 episodes I feel like Gundam Seed finally got good. On 33 now and the past few have been great. Before that though? Pretty boring. The drama was terrible and the fights were mostly lame.

SEED really was pretty fucking slow at the beginning. From where you are though it's rollercoaster to the end.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 11:

Yes, this has certainly been the best battle on the season, helped by adding some actual pathos instead of the generic Dio wills it motivation. I will also note that I think we can probably blame Jojo here for starting the wretched explain everything that is going on with a move or attack sequence that I despise so much.

/XX/

Secretly, of course, I hope that at the same time Mappa get funding to animate Pluto...
A man can dream.
A promise is a promise, and Mr. Maruyama promised to do it before he dies. There is still a lot of time left...

maybe I shouln't wrote this post. Half of anime gaf probably think that I am disgusting while the other halfs still laughs because I can't get beyond the panda.
Not at all, for my part! I actually share your opinion there. ;-)

Good but I wasn't feeling it as much as I did last week. Peco's
turn around
felt too much like "Shonen Heart" bullshit for me to buy into it :/
It's not really an issue of effort, so I didn't get a
"shonen heart" vibe.
Peco's love of the sport is what propels him, but that's never been all he operated on. Motivation and where it comes from was a huge factor inside of the episode. Peco is the one player who has it all in the show: drive, talent, aptitude, athleticism, and a love for what he does.

I thought the episode did a great job of conveying Peco's power through the vibrancy of his movements, where speed seems to stretch his entire body and he's capable of jumping around all over the screen in quick spurts to this really energetic music.
Pretty much! It doesn't feel forced to me because
I didn't think the focus was exactly on Peco's motivation to surpass the limits thanks to just the love for the sport (or also said as not exactly made to fulfil in that spot Peco's progress for this arc), but how the episode brought a conclusion to what the show has been long establishing about Kazama's character, who operated through motions forced by himself out of the pressure and dependency of everyone around him, never feeling (except during those forgotten memories of his father) the liberation that is the enjoyment that can produce a sport playing it with people that love it the way Peco does. Peco was the mirror to look in of this episode and, in fact, the way Kazama always progressed on just GUTS and effort to demonstrate he could be useful to everyone reminded me more of that "Shonen Heart bullshit" mentioned than how Peco approaches the joy of playing naturally after having lost for a time that initial spark... this wasn't a Hero VS. Monster battle, and instead a lesson to make him truly fly too!

Yup, that was fantastic and even my knowledge of the manga didn’t take anything away from this experience. I saw some people claiming that this was predictable, not to me though. Never expected Peco, who was trashed in the beginning, to become Ping Pong’s main drive and also to come this far. What a wonderful guy, love him.
I've seen enough of that "been predictable" argument to reach a point when I want to say; "do any of those who say something like that not ever enjoy re-watching things?"

The voyage is what gives everything its level of interest, how it is presented... like in a puzzle where you normally know what image you are going to end with once finished, but the way the pieces start to fit on each other while the clear picture you wanted commences to take form makes it a satisfying experience. The accomplishment on portraying the idea is key, above how cliché that idea could have been until now, because
the whole events on the story have been just a backdrop for Peco & Smile, and the renewal of their old bond, to be fulfilled again on a upcoming true match.

Sailor Moon 07

Haha. Poor Umino :p

Everybody wants to be famous and sing Moonlight Densetsu. And the monster in this episode does some 'The Exorcist' stuff.

Just me or is the brightness in the episode too high?

Jex

So I finally have some downtime today before I start the Destiny beta. I went to the autograph sessions for AnimeNEXT and wanted to report on some small tidbits I heard there. I didn't go to the panels as I live in NYC and just going to the autograph sessions in NJ was 3 hours one-way (totaling 6 hours and obliterating my Sunday) so fuck that, once is more than enough. Anyway while I was waiting in line, I talked to a guy who went to the KLK panel and he brought up some stuff said in the KLK panel:

Thanks for this. A lot of their discussions re: possible story paths confirm my earlier suspicion that a lot the story they put on screen is littered with discarded threads of different stories that don't all quite hang together early on. The seams really show.

Alright! I am back from E3. Now I can get caught up with the............ 30....... pages.... I missed. Wow.

Well let's start. :D
---------------------------------

Clannad 16

Roachdad is the best and he should be in more scenes.

In all seriousness, I actually felt this was an okay episode. Last episode's melodrama was disposed of, and the punchline to the numerous misunderstanding jokes was acceptable. Mostly, though, the episode wasn't some Hallmark level "Okazaki doing extremely moving nice thing for another girl in his harem." Most of the episode was about teamwork and bringing the kids together to win at a basketball team, giving the group some much needed development to make me more sympathetic toward their cause. That last shot was some ridiculous noise, but it was still a more light-hearted, easy on the stomach episode and I appreciated it much more. In fact, I dare say that Clannad is much better like this, when it is easy going and letting its message shine through, than when it is pouring copious amounts of emotional moments atop a somewhat dense premise to begin with.

Shoot, in this episode we even had character development and background information for Okazaki, without needing it slammed in our faces.

This was a pretty damn decent episode, and I am totally okay with more episodes like this.

No Corvo!!! What happend? Why was Corvo banned?

Anyways, it's good to see the part of the show that takes it's turn for the better is the episode where you really started to enjoy it. From this point forward it gets pretty good. ;)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 11

More contradictory censoring. Looks like it's mostly gone away these past few episodes.

I forgot how much of a dick J. Gei- I MEAN CENTERFOLD was.
I also like how Kakyoin kind of foreshadows a future Stand in a later part, but probably not because Araki forgot he said that
And Hol Horse is still great.

cajunator

Banned
Alright! I am back from E3. Now I can get caught up with the............ 30....... pages.... I missed. Wow.

Well let's start. :D
---------------------------------

Anyways, it's good to see the part of the show that takes it's turn for the better is the episode where you really started to enjoy it. From this point forward it gets pretty good. ;)

Corvy got caught up in some Final Fantasy bullshit. He will return in couple weeks.

https://twitter.com/date_a_info/status/477495897144578049
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eUCwxq1nPc

Date A Live movie's on the way. Guess that makes up for the ten-episode season, huh?
I am ara ara'ing so hard right now. That image from the video looks like Tohka's sword, which isn't much of a hint for what it'll be about. Wonder if it'll be an original story like the PS3 games.

Yaaaaaay *bounce a live
caaaajun. Does it say region A only on the back?

Jex

Sailor Moon 06

Some interesting art in this episode.

Nice how Sailor Moon used the monsters own power against it to beat it.

And lots of funny Luna reaction faces too:

Mike, I'll give you three guesses who directed this episode, and no looking it up!

If you like Stand Alone Complex you should pick this up (assuming the quality isn't crummy).

If you like this complex cyber police thriller you should buy this slow paced fantasy adventure!

That's a weird comment to make. Of course someone can like both series, but in the same way people could easily like one and not the other.

The setting, genre and character focus are different in the two series!

IIRC, Corvo returns on the 28th of June.

Dude got caught up on the bad end of some Final Fantasy stuff, as stated before.

He posts some mini impressions on his Twitter, but he kind of stopped Clannad for a bit. I'm pretty sure I saw him post episode 17 impressions there though.

Articalys

Remember Yen Press's emphatic declaration at Sakura-Con that the light novel market in America was perfectly viable? If you haven't seen the news over in MangaGAF, they're doubling down hard:

http://www.yenpress.com/2014/06/new-license-announcements-2/

Added to their lineup are the Kagerou Daze novels, plus Sword Art Online Progressive, Kawahara's chance to redeem the early parts of the SAO story. Oh, and they've already got the license for his upcoming Absolute Solitude series as well.

Ga-rei Zero are very good, especially compared to the material source.. Its comparable to Code Breaker's anime that adored in here IMO.

Gai Rei Zero was freakin heartbreaking. That ending was tough to watch because you knew how it was going to go down. Life handed those characters a pretty shity fate.

Corvy got caught up in some Final Fantasy bullshit. He will return in couple weeks.

IIRC, Corvo returns on the 28th of June.

Dude got caught up on the bad end of some Final Fantasy stuff, as stated before.

He posts some mini impressions on his Twitter, but he kind of stopped Clannad for a bit. I'm pretty sure I saw him post episode 17 impressions there though.

Ah I see. Wonder what FF BS there was going on here. Good thing I was at E3. The excitement and positivity for games there is completely different from..... well the internet in general. Anyways back to anime!

Okay, I will wait for his return. May give me time to catch up on G Gundam so that way I have watched as many G Gundam episodes as he has Clannad episodes.

sonicmj1

I've seen enough of that "been predictable" argument to reach a point when I want to say; "do any of those who say something like that not ever enjoy re-watching things?"

The voyage is what gives everything its level of interest, how it is presented... like in a puzzle where you normally know what image you are going to end with once finished, but the way the pieces start to fit on each other while the clear picture you wanted commences to take form makes it a satisfying experience. The accomplishment on portraying the idea is key, above how cliché that idea could have been until now, because
the whole events on the story have been just a backdrop for Peco & Smile, and the renewal of their old bond, to be fulfilled again on a upcoming true match.

I may have said that the arc of these last few episodes has been "predictable", but it's not meant as a negative criticism. It's in a good way. It's not a random story: Ping Pong has always been about what it means to compete, about why people play sports and what they get from it. The games have always been a means to an end more than the end in themselves. Everything has been building to the events of this episode, and the episode to follow it. And it's satisfying to watch all those pieces fall into place, because the direction and writing is so strong that those moments feel meaningful even if you expect them.

If things went differently, that'd be surprising, but it would be at the expense of the messages the story is trying to convey about the growth of these characters. And even if we know how events need to play out, we need to see the how and why to understand their importance. If we didn't, we could just watch all our anime on Wikipedia and save ourselves a lot of time.

Jex

If you like this complex cyber police thriller you should buy this slow paced fantasy adventure!

That's a weird comment to make. Of course someone can like both series, but in the same way people could easily like one and not the other.

That seems like an odd comment. Are people not fans of Spielberg, Scorsese, Soderberg, Kubrick, Ridley Scott and so forth. Are all their works the same? Aren't people often fans of artists which makes them interested in any work they produce? People are excited for whatever Trigger puts out next just the same as they were excited for whatever Gainax used to put out, regardless of the content.

If you're a fan of one you're more likely to be a fan of the another because it's by exactly the same director/writer, from the same studio, with the same art director, chief animation director and featuring many of the same script writers and storyboarders and episode directors, key animators, painters etc etc etc. If you're a fan of the work that one team does led by a particular director there's a good chance you'll be a fan of their other work.

Mature

That seems like an odd comment. Are people not fans of Spielberg, Scorsese, Soderberg, Kubrick, Ridley Scott and so forth. Are all their works the same? Aren't people often fans of artists which makes them interested in any work they produce? People are excited for whatever Trigger puts out next just the same as they were excited for whatever Gainax used to put out, regardless of the content.

If you're a fan of one you're more likely to be a fan of the another because it's by exactly the same director/writer, from the same studio, with the same art director, chief animation director and featuring many of the same script writers and storyboarders and episode directors, key animators, painters etc etc etc. If you're a fan of the work that one team does led by a particular director there's a good chance you'll be a fan of their other work.
Not only that, but with Kenji Kamiyama specifically, his slow, deliberate pace is immediately recognizable. If you're used to and enjoy a work like Stand Alone Complex which is rife with political and social exposition, then the connection, and recommendation, to Moribito is an obvious one.

Time for my daily dose of Idol.

The iDOLM@STER 06

It may be my imagination, but Iori gets better every episode. Her smile is very cute, when it's sincere. Still don't like the twins, but they get generally so small screentime that I'm ok with them. The custums were indeed very cute and the song very well sounding. Miki was interesting too, such a soft ambition. Producer was super stupid this episode, I get that he was ambitious, but there were basic stuff that went wrong.
Iori pretty much redeemed, Miki still in my favorites.

The iDOLM@STER 07

Iori is rich, huh (finally redeemed). She started this episode a bit annoying again, but she got better very fast. She and poor Yaoi make a nice team for storys. Her family is nice, too. Song was kinda random, but sure, why not. Hibiki shined too, she would be a great big sister.
I really liked this episode, all three girls and Yayois family were interesting and funny. The little drama wasn't anything special, but it worked even further develop the three.

The iDOLM@STER 08

Well, this is it. I am in despair. Should I ship Miki x Makoto or Yukiho x Makoto?
The over-the-top bodyguards where pretty funny, especially in contrast to the every calm Azusa. Her Ara Ara is killing me with hnnng. Her walking through the city and helping people left and right was maybe a bit too much, but at some point it got so silly, that it was fun. I swear, a bit more and she would've cured cancer.
Makoto full of energy, fighting to save one of ther Waifus was pretty fun, too. (but how did she manage to mistake the real bride with Azusa, even from behing, her hairs are totally different). Better action with her then some actual action anime. The short cuts to the fights reminded me of that one Person of Interest episode with Fusco and the model.
Mister Oil Baron and the super random solution were fun, too. Great enjoyment, can't believe that all that stuff happened in one episode.

Episodes 7 and 8 were my favorite episodes so far and now I am really happy to watch this show. It's really fun.

Favorites now still Miki, Hibiki, Makoto and Yayoi. Iori is on the edge to it, as well as Azusa, her Ara Ara got me. Well, I think I like Iori now, but my Kugumiya trauma is still haunting me. The rest is still Honoka-tier.

Honoka tier huh? Haha, I'll make a bet and say by the end of all 24 episodes you will have atleast 10/12 idols off that tier.

Yeah, both are from Production IG and even from the same date, more or less.
But there are some limits. It depends of the case. When the author is an individual, like an author book or a mangaka, I think it's more normal to do recommendations by author, as the work is fully theirs. Another example, music bands. Not an individual! But with music bands, the number of authors is smaller so there is more coherent and authorial output and well, usually music bands usually move themselves in the same genre (jazz, progressive metal, rock & soul, rap, pop) that's why you usually can check a group past albums if you liked one of them. Chances are very high that you will like one if you liked other.
Imo, it is a bit more weird with a production group than in the end it's a company, and companies sometimes will produce something original, or are hired to make an adaptation, whatever.
Following your example, yeah, I also wouldn't recommend to buy a movie blindly because someone liked another movie altogether from the same director. You liked Schindler's List? You should totally buy Jaws and War of the Worlds!

Nor I would recommend to buy Moribito if you liked Ghost int he Shell, and I've seen both. Hell, if I had to make a blind guess, I would say the chances of liking it if you liked Gits are "less than average chances", no "more than average chances".

Chariot

phaze

Durarara !! 24-25

A good ending to this weaker set of episodes. Was expecting Celtsy's head issue to finally reemerge but alas it was not to be. Izaya got off easy, a single punch is too light a fate for him. At least Kida got a happy closure.

I'm puzzled about the decision to include a few characters in the opening. Shizuo's boss and brother + the traffic cop were named in the OP but they barely featured.

Looking back, I think the mini Saika arc was my favorite. Really good, creepy atmosphere and some surprising twists and reveals. All in all very good show even despite losing some steam at the end. Think I would rate it a bit above Baccano. The bigger episode count really lets all those characters breathe.

So, the twins stay annoying, eh :(
But good to hear, I sincerely hope that you're right.

Personally all the idols for me is off a "Honoka-tier" because Honoka is one of the worst characters I came across that served as the main protagonist role of a show, but then again everyone is not me.

But yeah I can say iM@S gets better from really soon when it starts to focus on group-centric arcs.

Remember Yen Press's emphatic declaration at Sakura-Con that the light novel market in America was perfectly viable? If you haven't seen the news over in MangaGAF, they're doubling down hard:

http://www.yenpress.com/2014/06/new-license-announcements-2/

Added to their lineup are the Kagerou Daze novels, plus Sword Art Online Progressive, Kawahara's chance to redeem the early parts of the SAO story. Oh, and they've already got the license for his upcoming Absolute Solitude series as well.

Will definitely have to pick up the Kagerou Daze LN. Still hoping for Yen Press/Yen On to license NisiOisiN's Monogatari series.

Date A Live 2 10
Disappointed this is the final episode for a while. Especially since it revolves around Tohka. Quite possibly the worst DAL girl

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - 12

OH TACOS.

Much like during someone else's adventure,
the supernatural power that the Nazis try to control backfires horribly on them.

ONII-SAMA the Animation 10

There are too many characters in this. But at least Erika was in a maid outfit.

And of course the hotly anticipated hot springs scene, were everyone just wears bath robes.
BOO THIS SHOW.
BOO I SAY.

So the show decides to go Shaft and show a lot of interesting shots, and then talk about how Miyuki emits yuri particles. And then she goes on to tell the MOST BALD FACED LIE OF ALL TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom