• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

2 Episodes from Nice and Breezy! Also I see Lynne put all that effort for you to NTR with Perrine.

I think there's something about Perrine's design that makes her stand out more compared to others. If I were told she was the staff's favorite, I wouldn't be surprised given the attention her cuts get compared to others. :lol

Chariot

Shit, I have to stop to watch, I am getting sucked back into the abyss of watching anime the whole day.

The iDOLM@STER 09

Twin centered episode, my greatest nightmare. While the parallels between the movie and reality were kind of fun, I just can't feel the twins. Didn't like the episode much. Somehow I even knew the culprit at the very beginning and the culprits that led the culprit to her actions as the whole thing began. These characters are so straighforward, there wasn't another solution for this show.

The iDOLM@STER 10

Oh no! No, no, no, NO! Not a sport festival, I thought my sport uniform fetish was sealed away for good, but...!
Evil Jelly Idol Rivals are jelly.
It was nice to see having somewhat of an opponnent to beat and a crying friend to support. Everyone getting serious about the contest was nice to see. As well as Iori being rich. She and Makoto were the stars of this episode.
Yayoi gets a special mention, because she is so adorable, whatever she does. She is the kind of girl, where I have to think "man, if I ever have a daughter, it would be nice, if she would be like Yayoi".

The iDOLM@STER 11

Very nice episode. Somebody said that the anime really started at episode 4, but episode 11 feels like the true beginning, when they all are done just doing random entertainment and wroking activeley at their first work. Not that I didn't enjoy the other episodes, but it's interesting to watch them archieve something bigger.
Sadly, the second part of the episode was about two characters I don't really like that much. But looking forward to next episode, to explore a bit of Miki.

The iDOLM@STER 12

Those costums are awful. They look like easy girls now. It was nice seeing Miki actually being concerned with the power of Ryuuguu Komachi. Despite being seemingly the laziest of the bunch she is actually the most ambitious.
I also have to say how much I like the montages of this show. They're always very nice to see. Also despite me liking Miki, one girl alone isn't worth that much. The interaction are the greatest and of that the episode had too few.

My favorites haven't changed all. Well, ok. Iori is finally redeemed iny my eyes. iDOLM@STER saved a thousand kittens by curing me (at least for now) off my Kugumiya PDST.

So, I guess, I am neglecting all my duties again, until i finished all of Im@s. Bloody fucking anime and bloody fucking Idols.

Jex

But there are some limits. It depends of the case.
This is all getting a little bit muddy in terms of the connection between the creator and the finished work.

The initial comment I made is that if you liked Y you'll probably like X.

Your initial counter argument was that X and Y are very different shows in terms of genre, setting etc and so there's no reason to assume that a person who likes Y would naturally like X.

I responded my explaining my original point, namely that you'll probably like this one work (X) because it's was made by the same people as another work (Y) which you have already enjoyed. The assumption here being that part of the reason you liked Y is because of the people who put it together, irrespective of the actual genre of the piece.

Moreover, to focus solely on bare content e.g. genre and setting misses the fact that we can like art because of the people who make it irrespective of what final shape the art takes, and I provided some examples of directors that people will follow to see what they do next even without knowing what form their work will take.
When the author is an individual, like an author book or a mangaka, I think it's more normal to do recommendations by author, as the work is fully theirs. Another example, music bands. Not an individual! But with music bands, the number of authors is smaller so there is more coherent and authorial output and well, usually music bands usually move themselves in the same genre (jazz, progressive metal, rock & soul, rap, pop) that's why you usually can check a group past albums if you liked one of them. Chances are very high that you will like one if you liked other.

Imo, it is a bit more weird with a production group than in the end it's a company, and companies sometimes will produce something original, or are hired to make an adaptation, whatever.
Obviously the closest you can get to a creator is with something that comes solely from them e.g. a piece of writing (ignoring the existence of editors), a painting, whatever. Once you bring in any work that requires a team (whether it be large or small) to produce you've obviously diluting the connection between the 'original' creator and creation. There's also the question of whether the people working on this team project are just blindly implementing the will of the 'creator' or are they contributing their own ideas and thoughts to the project? It surely depends on a case by case basis.

Even with large teams of people making e.g. a movie or TV show you can still feel the hand of the creators e.g. a David Simon TV series or a Miyazaki movie. They breath life into the entire work even though their ideas are transmitted and changed by many people.

So, to look at it as the case of these two anime shows it's pretty clear that the same overall director directed both shows and his style is inherent both to the look of the show, the writing, the methodical and slow pace, as well as the writing in general. The traits that make one show good bleed into the other. The actual setting etc is irrelevant to what makes those shows good. And they are good because of the people who make them, which is why I'd recommend people check out works from the same creator.

Let's look at it from another angle. If I'm just just talking out of my ass and what's important isn't the creators (which I've already established are much the same between the two works) but instead the genre, setting and characters lets compare some works with the similar genre's, setting and characters.
If you like this complex cyber police thriller you should buy this slow paced fantasy adventure!

That's a weird comment to make. Of course someone can like both series, but in the same way people could easily like one and not the other.

The setting, genre and character focus are different in the two series!
To use your words, lets compare a few "complex cyber police thrillers". Heck, lets make it easy and just look at one franchise: Ghost in the Shell.

This is a pretty big franchise now with works like the Ghost in the Shell movie, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex the TV series and Ghost in the Shell: Arise the OVA series. Do you imagine that all these works are really similar just because they share the same genre and setting and characters? And that therefore being fans of one would lead to being fans of the others? Well you'd be wrong because in fact all these works are very different with plenty of people who like one despising the others. What's the difference between all these works? The creators.
Following your example, yeah, I also wouldn't recommend to buy a movie blindly because someone liked another movie altogether from the same director. You liked Schindler's List? You should totally buy Jaws and War of the Worlds!
Maybe you should, they're all pretty good movies. And are you actually suggesting people don't operate like this in reality? That they don't follow directors they like? In fact, it's not even that complicated (as marketing has shown us), people will just go and watch whatever movie their favourite actor/actress is in, a factor which has very little to do with the final work! But it would be odd to expect people to act differently.

Nor I would recommend to buy Moribito if you liked Ghost int he Shell, and I've seen both. Hell, if I had to make a blind guess, I would say the chances of liking it if you liked Gits are "less than average chances", no "more than average chances".
Leaving aside hypotheticals, doesn't it make more sense to operate with some guiding principle e.g. do I like the people who are making the show? Have I seen their work before? Was it good?

The alternative you propose of genre, setting and character is surely more unusual. Should people watch every high school romance because they liked one once? Surely the reason why they like one was because of the creators who worked on it, not because it was a high school romance.

Surely the reason they liked Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is because it's a great anime produced by talented people, not because it's a complex cyber police thriller. I'd rather tell people who liked Stand Alone Complex to watch Moribito then watch Psycho Pass because it's in the same genre.

Mokoi

Banned
Gochuumon 10

Chiya & Cocoa are great together. It seems Chino really misses her onee-chan, and tippy has become a F.O.E. The novelist remains the best character in my book. Rize won't fall for such cute tactics from her troops. Great episode overall it delivered on the squeee.

Ping Pong 2-3

So glad I avoided spoilers and waited for episodes to build up. Coach trying to break smile out of his shell was funny, and it seems like he kind of succeeded. Except that smile still is holding back. Kazama really has it rough spending a lot of time in the bathroom throwing up moms spaghetti. Really enjoying this show a lot. Going to end up marathoning it until episode 10.

Mekaku City Actors 09 first 3 minutes

Q2jxxsp.png

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin 10
Ikusaba makes for such a great villian and that ending. Man I certainly wasn't expecting that to happen.
MC is probably gonna break his promise in the next episode.

Nobunaga The Fool: Episode 22: The Devil

Mitsu's emotion was all sad and then everyone else reflecting over things.
but if were really having some Mitsu v Nobu showdown to distract things and lead to some bad end...Ill want my time back, he's supposed to be savior king, not destroyer king

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 9:

Okay, so what happened here?
Did the milk tide parasite just fuck off and die, I am assuming yes, but they are not very clear about it. Also, if you have to use a mushi to magically crow crops year round, maybe that is a sign you should move to more fertile ground that can sustain normal farming patterns.

Strike Witches 5

Shouldn't be surprised that the beach stuff had the best animation so far. Also realized who Shirley was. fff
You clearly weren't paying attention to my many Shirley related tweets.
2 Episodes from Nice and Breezy! Also I see Lynne put all that effort for you to NTR with Perrine.
Lynne is good, but Perrine is too goddess to be ignored.
I think there's something about Perrine's design that makes her stand out more compared to others. If I were told she was the staff's favorite, I wouldn't be surprised given the attention her cuts get compared to others. :lol
Narag my nakamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Teekyu 10-12

A nice summary of the show :p

Bath house and festival episodes. That's almost normal, but then there's lots of random stuff happening in the last episode.

This was certainly a rapid-fire show. They crammed as much stuff in here as they could. The OP/ED is so bad it's funny, and I'm not exactly sure if it the show itself is like that or actually good. It's so short that everybody should have time to check it out at least.

There are worse things you can do to kill 2x12 minutes, and it feels like it's funny, so 3/5 tennis balls:
NWtBypa.png
NWtBypa.png
NWtBypa.png
MUwWRxp.png
MUwWRxp.png

/XX/

That one is fine, the middle one I just noticed isn't. DAMMIT.
It's a Full Metal Jacket parody.
I feel your pain though. People need to make more available!
True. It has been a franchise strangely neglected by the usual scanners if we take into account the big ratio of self-published releases it generates on every event. But, well... at least and since the last time we mentioned this matter we could witness a couple of additional translations made for some of Mozu's (もず) old, non-omnibus works (not from the latest and more complete compilation released, I mean).

I may have said that the arc of these last few episodes has been "predictable", but it's not meant as a negative criticism. It's in a good way. It's not a random story: Ping Pong has always been about what it means to compete, about why people play sports and what they get from it. The games have always been a means to an end more than the end in themselves. Everything has been building to the events of this episode, and the episode to follow it. And it's satisfying to watch all those pieces fall into place, because the direction and writing is so strong that those moments feel meaningful even if you expect them.

If things went differently, that'd be surprising, but it would be at the expense of the messages the story is trying to convey about the growth of these characters. And even if we know how events need to play out, we need to see the how and why to understand their importance. If we didn't, we could just watch all our anime on Wikipedia and save ourselves a lot of time.
Exactly!

And just to make it clear, the "predictable" part wasn't aimed at you specifically... I was talking generally about a mix of some comments made at varied corners of the Internet I could read. Sorry if I gave you that impression! :)

Mekaku City Actors 09 the rest

Getting past that hilariously awful CG intro, I thought this episode was pretty decent. The black and white sections were really pretty looking.

Urusei Yatsura - 29
An episode about background animation! Well, not really, but it had a lot of it out of nowhere. I wonder if people like Jariten as much as I do? Too cute. Ataru and him make a surprisingly good duo.

Ataru and Jariten are amazing. I think I have already said when I was watching the earlier episodes that my brother loved him, even if he didn't watch UY, he would always stop to watch if he saw Jariten on it.
So it's not just you. :)

Link Man

Banned
Wagnaria!!2 7

In which Inami falls in love with Yamada's brother, and Takanashi grapples with jealousy.

WHY DOES SHE HAVE A HUGE DOLL OF THE MANAGER?!

COSPLAY!?!?! (Glad to have these post-credit scenes back!)

Black Bullet 10
Anime of the Year!!!

Things got heavy at the end there. I didn't expect that to happen until it was too late. ( ;_;)
Like most episodes there was a lot here. I honestly didn't expect to like the anime this much when I started but I really just love this show.

I also love how Rentaro's loli harem grew
, if only for a few minutes. ;_;

Oreca Battle 10

Epic battle and pretty moving with the classical duel type music playing. DraColle and Oreca have great battle systems that make me wish to actually play the games.
evolution in this one too, with Bahn even

holysan

DAL II #10

Every conflict involving Touka can be resolved with a kissu, oh gawd, I couldn’t help but laugh, even if it was similar to 1st season’s finale. It also redeemed the last 3 episodes for me, which I didn’t like that much, because I prefer the lighthearted, fanservicey dating stuff to the more serious plot. Nevertheless, my guilty pleasure this season.

Yowamushi Pedal 35

That got frustrating a bit but perfectly timed before it became truly aggravating
how could he have that type of experience on a race in which the edges are completely barricaded, he even acknowledged it too, so that didnt make much sense.

Imaizumi in the ed after their date was hilarious. I hope he and Naruko go on one.

Link Man

Banned
Wagnaria!!2 8

ibx9pn2v3FBrfQ.gif

#dead

Listening to a recording obsessively. I'm reminded of Watamote.

Is...is Soma trolling the audience now?

A masterful troll.

Hero Bank 10

Fun hot springs episode with some firey hot battling and sentimental memories on the line.
all the switching of suits made it one of the most versatile experiences in the herobank world

Articalys

Aniplex posted a preview of Tensai's character song "Tantei-ism 99%" from the second Nanana's Buried Treasure BD volume. Since I know there's a lot of Tenasi (and Kana Asumi) fans around these parts, I went ahead and grabbed it for everyone:

http://a.pomf.se/qdstci.mp3

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Aniplex posted a preview of Tensai's character song "Tantei-ism 99%" from the second Nanana's Buried Treasure BD volume. Since I know there's a lot of Tenasi (and Kana Asumi) fans around these parts, I went ahead and grabbed it for everyone:

http://a.pomf.se/qdstci.mp3
I hope the power of this song is the only way they can defeat the grim dark villain during the series finale.

cnet128

Banned
Akuma no Riddle 11

A suitably twisted conundrum to serve as the climax of this series, I think.

Bad Tokaku! Stop that! ò_ó

Sailor Moon 9

Another solid episode mostly thanks to the added inclusion of Ami. This is an episode I pretty much 100% remember from my child hood due to those funky backgrounds in the clock dimension. Nothing special but entertaining.

Gradivus

I ended up buying Monster on DVD last night (first 15 episodes), because I haven't had anything decent to watch on TV recently.

I haven't read the manga before, but there's 74 episodes covering the 18 volumes in the series.
That said, is it worth getting the whole series?
I'm mainly worried that it's just gonna end up with a lot of filler.

Nafe

Watching the toku show Kamen Raider Gaim and the character Professor Ryouma reminds me of Ikuhara with his hair and kind of just general looks.

j9BO0Ij88njAz.jpg

Ryouma Sengoku

jnEGLIvw6SLau.jpg

Kunihiko Ikuhara

I didn't notice at first since it didn't really have many lines and it was just some made up language but when the red one of those overlord guys started talking in Japanese I noticed that it was Tomokazu Sugita doing the voice. Naturally it just automatically gets more cool points for that then,haha.

Narag

You clearly weren't paying attention to my many Shirley related tweets.

I was aware on some level but when I became fully aware...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t44EAsLwGWA#t=7s

Narag my nakamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Just calling it as I see it this far! I've encountered this sort of thing mostly in books where some author gives some secondary character more time than is due simply to being enamored with him or her. :lol

Majin Bone Episode 11

Bone crushing is nothing new in this but the fight this episode was best yet. Liked how visually pleasing and intense it was after just fun time bowling, good balance of character interactions and comedy. Gilbert could lighten up, but he stilled bowled lol.

Im guessing this is ending soon since the Cocoon is collapsing and the Primordial Bone is selfishly taking action putting the whole world to chaos (didnt expect that so soon)

I ended up buying Monster on DVD last night (first 15 episodes), because I haven't had anything decent to watch on TV recently.

I haven't read the manga before, but there's 74 episodes covering the 18 volumes in the series.
That said, is it worth getting the whole series?
I'm mainly worried that it's just gonna end up with a lot of filler.

I thought it was worth it to complete the series. Never picked up the VIZ release since they decided to drop the physical release after the first boxset. Hoping someone license rescues Monster otherwise I will have to import the Japanese or Australian DVDs and get a region-free DVD player. I may be mistaken, but isn't Monster similar to Mushi-shi in the fact that the anime adaptations pretty much match the manga frames 1:1 as much as possible?

As for the manga, VIZ did decide to re-release that in a 2-1 omnibus starting next month.

cnet128

Banned
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 11

Oh god, I found myself identifying with Ricchan far too much in this episode >.> Being social, how does it work?!

First half of the episode was nice too, with a fun new character and some...interesting new perspectives on Sayaka. This show always hits all the right notes.

Sailor Moon 10

Rei's introduction episode, a bit lewder then I remember. Rei was my favorite as a kid if only because red is my favorite color and fire is my favorite element :X

Kind of shocked to see someone other then Sailor Moon beat a boss, I get the feeling this is the exception and not the rule.

Gradivus

I thought it was worth it to complete the series. Never picked up the VIZ release since they decided to drop the physical release after the first boxset. Hoping someone license rescues Monster otherwise I will have to import the Japanese or Australian DVDs and get a region-free DVD player. I may be mistaken, but isn't Monster similar to Mushi-shi in the fact that the anime adaptations pretty much match the manga frames 1:1 as much as possible?

As for the manga, VIZ did decide to re-release that in a 2-1 omnibus starting next month.

Well 74 episodes should keep me busy for a while. Truth is, I just wanted to watch something a bit different from the Shounen Jump titles.
If it's 1:1 as much as possible, that's great news!

Ok amazon i asked for FATE ZERO blu-ray and i get :
High school dxd blu-ray ?

Where is my fate zero blu ray amazon ?

Damn all this PLOT and animation in HD with perfect detail is ...well
All, i can say is "OPPAI" .

But seriously amazon ... my fate/zero blu-ray ? where is it ?

cnet128

Banned
Date A Live II 10 END

Shidou gets all the spirit girls. He doesn't care if they're yuri fanatics who hate men, or have been turned to the dark side as the culmination of an evil organisation's schemes. His swag renders such details meaningless. They simply swoon and fall at his feet.

...Often they flatten half the city in the meantime, but hey, the city is used to that by now. Small price to pay for harem building. =p

Butyeah, a nice climax all around. It makes me sad that this series was only 10 episodes, both because I'm sorry to see it end and because they could probably have done a significantly better adaptation of this material with a couple more episodes' breathing room. And for that I say fuck you Kadokawa. But at the end of the day, this season was lots of fun, perhaps even more so than the first, so I guess I can't complain too much. And hey, we are getting a movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom