• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Mushishi S2 - Episode 8

Not a huge fan of this episode. The story felt a bit off, but maybe it's also because I personally dislike the side of humanity the story showcases. In terms of feeling off, I'll say that the behavior of the characters here seem a bit too predictable, but perhaps the point is that sometimes people are predictable and disappointing. Still felt a bit forced though, so I didn't really feel satisfied by the time it ended. With the variety of stories the series tells though, it's expected that not every single one will leave me happy though.

---

Mushishi S2 - Episode 9

This on the other hand is probably one of the better ones yet. There's a nice sense of mystery early on, which creates interest in the nature of the mushi featured in the story, but it also puts Ginko in a situation where he isn't particularly wanted. He's only here because of the generosity of his hosts, and no one is asking for him to actually solve any ailment. Yet he notices something unusual and wants to give his opinion on it. In the end though, the way the story concluded once again shows that Mushishi elevates itself above other series of this sort, and shows that every situation of humans and mushi coming into contact can have different outcomes and sometimes there isn't really a "problem" that needs to be solved at all. This one leaves me with the feeling I like best - a sense of warm satisfaction mixed with mystical awe.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mushishi S2 - Episode 8

Not a huge fan of this episode. The story felt a bit off, but maybe it's also because I personally dislike the side of humanity the story showcases. In terms of feeling off, I'll say that the behavior of the characters here seem a bit too predictable, but perhaps the point is that sometimes people are predictable and disappointing. Still felt a bit forced though, so I didn't really feel satisfied by the time it ended. With the variety of stories the series tells though, it's expected that not every single one will leave me happy though.

---

Mushishi S2 - Episode 9

This on the other hand is probably one of the better ones yet. There's a nice sense of mystery early on, which creates interest in the nature of the mushi featured in the story, but it also puts Ginko in a situation where he isn't particularly wanted. He's only here because of the generosity of his hosts, and no one is asking for him to actually solve any ailment. Yet he notices something unusual and wants to give his opinion on it. In the end though, the way the story concluded once again shows that Mushishi elevates itself above other series of this sort, and shows that every situation of humans and mushi coming into contact can have different outcomes and sometimes there isn't really a "problem" that needs to be solved at all. This one leaves me with the feeling I like best - a sense of warm satisfaction mixed with mystical awe.

Oh good, I am not the onyl one who hated episode 8.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 11

I'm trying to remember if the death was color in the OVAs or not, but this was good shit either way

jman2050

Hockey sucks, Kings suck, Rangers suck even more, I'm gonna watch some Milky Holmes to console myself.

(I am a messed up person)

duckroll

Oh good, I am not the onyl one who hated episode 8.

Was the episode well received? I've been behind on it, so I haven't really read other impressions. Something about it just felt very artificially constructed compared to the other stories so far. More on the nose, not much nuance, etc. It was also pretty hard to relate to the central character in the story since i didn't really feel like I knew what he was feeling or thinking at various points of the episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Was the episode well received? I've been behind on it, so I haven't really read other impressions. Something about it just felt very artificially constructed compared to the other stories so far. More on the nose, not much nuance, etc. It was also pretty hard to relate to the central character in the story since i didn't really feel like I knew what he was feeling or thinking at various points of the episode.

Honestly, I am unsure, mainly because Mushishi viewership here jumped off the cliff.

Acid08

Banned
Gundam Seed 35

I find Lacus becoming some revolutionary mastermind out of nowhere a bit weird. Also Flay is totally going to get brainwashed into doing something stupid, isn't she?

Mu piloting the Strike is rad though. No doubt he'll die at some point though :(

How To Train Your Dragon 2
This was an exceptionally well-made sequel that enriches the characters and the world surrounding them, while upping the stakes and the breathtaking scale of the action scenes. It even manages to surpass its predecessor in its handling of heavier subject matter and themes with a level of grace and maturity unseen in a lot of western animation. It's quite a feat that the film flies through its rather lean script briskly and effectively, with the only straggling hair being the big bad who could've use a bit more development. I would've easily watched another 20-30 minutes too!

And that John Powell score, oh baby.

Narag

How To Train Your Dragon 2
This was an exceptionally well-made sequel that enriches the characters and the world surrounding them, while upping the stakes and the breathtaking scale of the action scenes. It even manages to surpass its predecessor in its handling of heavier subject matter and themes with a level of grace and maturity unseen in a lot of western animation. It's quite a feat that the film flies through its rather lean script briskly and effectively, with the only straggling hair being the big bad who could've use a bit more development. I would've easily watched another 20-30 minutes too!

And that John Powell score, oh baby.

Was I right and the trailer spoiler "concerns" a little unfounded?

Soriku

For most tense, watch Kaiji

I already saw it. I was on my phone at the time and didn't feel like listing shows I watched, but exclude:

Kaiji
Fate/Zero
Death Note
Steins;Gate
Kuroko's Basketball
One Outs
One Piece
Ippo
Mirai Nikki
Attack on Titan
Evangelion
Psycho Pass
Madoka

And there are a lot more I've seen, but I bet most of those would pop up.

Mokoi

Banned
Honestly, I am unsure, mainly because Mushishi viewership here jumped off the cliff.

I'm just waiting for all the episodes to air then I'll marathon them.

Ping Pong The Animation 7

Really loving this show. I don't really like anime that main focus is on a game, but damm this is good. Peco making a solid comeback. Coach is really a great character I love when he says "Good, very Good". Can't wait to see how this series ends.

Soriku

Did you get around to watching From the New World yet? I'd say that qualifies for a high tension show.

I got up to episode 3 a little while ago and got kinda bored. I heard it gets better by 4 though so I think I'll revisit it, I've just been lazy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The link to most bad episodes of Mushi-shi: that guy with the monocle.

Also, even though I didn't like episode eight it didn't really jump out because six and seven before it were also pretty weak, aimless, and at times too thematically similar.

Jex

I don't follow director info in anime so I don't think I could even name 3 at all :p

Explanation: It was Kunihiko Ikuhara, overall director of most of the franchise as well as Utena, Penguindrum etc. You'll notice his work on the show because he's not some scrub tier director.

Jex

Mushishi S2 - Episode 8

I mean, I kind of agree, I still thought it was fine but definitely a low-point in the season. Still, did you SEE that animation? Wow!

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 11

The introduction of Sayaka's friend was fun and also as Book Girl's new 'friend'. Another show where a new female character does everything the male spent all series trying to do in one episode.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume S2 01

More squid girl invading as she faces her natural enemy, jellyfishes.

cnet128

Banned

I liked it more for the god-tier visuals and resulting atmosphere than for the actual things that happened, though I didn't mind the episode's story either. Sometimes people are just kinda assholes.

(impression post link)

duckroll

The best animation in Mushishi S2 is still the climax of the second episode. I don't think it has been remotely matched so far.

Jex

The best animation in Mushishi S2 is still the climax of the second episode. I don't think it has been remotely matched so far.

Maybe all episodes could look that good if we just accepted the possibility of one Mushi-Shi episode every 7 weeks!

duckroll

So regarding Mushishi...

http://www.mushishi-anime.com/news/#30641

Sadly, because of the earlier production delay which caused a break in the schedule, they won't be able to air any more episodes in the first half of the season after episode 10. Next week will be the last one for now. I think they might air the final two episodes of the season (it's a two parter) later on in the summer as a special though.

So regarding Mushishi...

Sadly, because of the earlier production delay which caused a break in the schedule, they won't be able to air any more episodes in the first half of the season after episode 10. Next week will be the last one for now. I think they might air the final two episodes of the season (it's a two parter) later on in the summer as a special though.

Got to wonder how this will affect the episodes being uploaded to Crunchyroll, Daisuki, Hulu, etc.

Jex

So regarding Mushishi...

Welp, looks like I spoke to soon!

Jarmel

Banned
Attack on Lolis-10

This fucking show has without a doubt the worst writing and direction that I've seen this year. That's saying something considering we had DAL and KLK airing in just the first half. Let's talk about this first aspect:
i4NNei8pE1fGt.jpg

ibtQlkM1mf7Fbx.jpg

ibkif1oeH0x6XW.jpg

Like what the fuck is it with every child in this series confessing her (oh of course they are all female) love to the main character? Like none of the relationships could be sisterly love or anything like that but it's all, "I want to marry big bro". Now I might give this the benefit of the doubt and say that it's an obvious case of children mixing up affection for love or some other nonsense, the problem is that every single kid in the show seemingly says this other than that hostile loli at the opening arc. It's blatant pandering to lolicons.

Now see, I might be willing to swallow that dog shit if it wasn't for the other bullshit elements in the show. Now of course all these loli hijinks and whatnot take place in the three day window before the town is overrun and everybody seemingly dies. Instead of the show even trying to keep a semblance of an atmosphere, it spends most of this time setting up the loli class. The light tone completely contradicts the events surrounding it, like am I supposed to be worried that everybody is going to get eaten alive? At least Shingeki didn't flip flop on what type of show it was presenting. Shingeki might have been boring as fuck at times, but at least there weren't any scenes of Mikasa singing Kumbaya.
Oh we then get the bullshit grimdark stuff at the end. Urobuchi would be proud. It's blatant emotional manipulation in the worst and obvious manner. I literally started laughing because of how stupid this whole scenario is. So these people hate the only thing protecting thing from getting eaten alive and
start to actively kill the children
. Like what the fuck. I could understand if the issue was more nuanced in that the Lost Children were an active part of their society and being highly disruptive instead of the isolated element that they are. Actually no, I still can't. I mean the people in Shingeki bitched and moaned about the Scouting Legion but they didn't fuck try to
murder those people in their sleep
. What then pisses me off is how accepting the remaining children are to the essential genocide of their friends. Like Rentaro tells Enju to fall in line and she still does with very little hesitation on her part.
We also get the spiel about what the MC is fighting for. Kisara's answer is so fucking bad, that I started laughing in my house.
Like what type of robot says this shit? She then tries to justify it in the most laughable manner possible.
You mean like the other times you saved the city but not a single soul cared? It's not like this is the first or second time but hey maybe things will be different this time? Have I ever told you the definition of insanity? Of course the MC swallows it because he's the MC.
Oh and I haven't even gotten around to the flat direction such as when Kisara threw those papers in the fire.

BluWacky

If you want TV shows which are "Western", maybe you should stick with Western TV shows.

I wonder if Japanese anime fans watch Western TV and complain that it's not "Eastern" enough. In these sorts of arguments, of course, "Western" doesn't really mean entirely beholden to Western narrative and cinematography, but seems to be "no fanservice in any of its many forms".

And it's not as if the presence or absence of young girls are the determiner of quality.

We almost return to the endless "what turns a young girl into a loli" debate. I still remain surprised (not directed at you hosanna, this is a general point) at how "loli" just seems to mean "little girl" to many in anime fandom; is it out of touch for me to think it's an inherently sexualised term?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom