• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mokoi

Banned
Hitsugi no Chaika - 6-9

The show becomes pretty boring when the focus shifts from the main group. I find the pursuer's group quite irksome actually.

The lack of action is a killer too.

I also get really bored when they focus on the pursuer's group. They're just not interesting. Still watching to see more of red chaika char development. If they even do show her more.

Jarmel

Banned
DAL 10-
iHDllbNidoomk.jpg

i9d0QNI77f4yH.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Dark Tohka was actually interesting, thus she couldn't stay around. That orchestral piece near the end was actually pretty good and there were some good sakuga cuts.
Anyway I felt this whole season was a huge step down compared to the first season mainly because it takes itself way too seriously and as always in shows of these types, the drama doesn't really work. The first season had a really good comedic element, something I felt this season lacked. I also felt the villains weren't as obnoxious in the 1st season.

Syrinx

Non Non Biyori 7

Episode mostly dedicated to Renge, so it's one of the best so far. Her interactions with Candy Store were good.

Pretty sure rabbits aren't that smart.

Acid08

Banned
Gundam Seed- End

The first half of this show is some boring bullshit, straight up. Bad characters, bad battles, and bad pacing are the biggest culprits. There are a couple good moments but it's just filled to the brim with melodramatic crap. The second half cuts out a lot the junk, though not all of it, and gets down to business. It's still not some amazing thing but it was actually fun to watch. Though in a lot of ways the damage was already done, character wise, from the first half.

They try so fucking hard to make you care about Kira and Flay's relationship but it just never happened. I dislike those characters and didn't give a shit about their feelings for one another. Thought the transitions of Lacus, from sucrose overload idol to revolutionary mastermind, and Kira, from the biggest baby ever to space Jesus warrior monk, were kinda abrupt and not believable.

In the second half the drama transitioned from being all relationship snooze fests to battlefield brawls and it was much better for it. All of the episodes during the last battle were great, very intense with some great one on one battles. It was more of what I wanted from a Gundam show. I don't mind relationship stuff if it's well done but most of it was junk here. So when they moved away from the show being centered around that it got much better.

Le Creuset was a lame villain, the most development they give him is when it's revealed he's a clone of Mu's dad but then it's not really addressed again. Then he just becomes crazy kill everybody guy. The better villains were the Earth Forces and ZAFT as evil entities.

Lacus is weird to me. They push her hard to be super important but how much screen time does she actually have? When am I supposed to develop any attachment to her character? I feel like she was barely there and half the time she is she's just singing the same fucking song over and over. Then all her lines are just generic "but peace guys really come on now fighting leads to more fighting this is so deep." Or she's silently staring at screens/Kira while making concerned faces. Can't say I cared for her at all.

The Justice and Freedom were cool ass mobile suits, their fights were always really good. In fact a lot of the fights in the second half were very cool.
Had to laugh when Cagalli gets her Gundam and it's most pink. Gundamz 4 Girlz™

Character rankings:

Like- Mu, Athrun, Cagalli, Murrue

Neutral- most of the side characters like Tolle, Sai, Erica, Miriallia, Tiger, Natarle etc.

Dislike- Kira, Lacus, Flay, Le Creuset. But special shoutout to Kira and Flay for being particularly unbearable.

I won't be watching Destiny anytime soon. Kinda done with these characters for now.

The only thing that I really don't like in SEED right now are Flay, and Kira's crying.

Everything else is okay, some stuff leading on pretty good. I like the scenario where Flay is practically manipulating Kira into thinking that she loves him when in reality she only wants him to die horribly in his Gundam.

Mu la Flaga is awesome as well. You gotta love the manly bro soldier type.

Jarmel

Banned
Mekakucity Actors-10

I was about to praise the soundtrack in this episode until the dubstep kicked in... *sigh* Still the opening piece was really good. I also liked the art style in some of the scenes.

In a show like this, for me at least, having the backstory explained is just as important for progress as continuing the "present day" scenes.

While true, the backstory felt kind of stretched out a lot for the most part making the present day scenes feel pretty insignificant except as a reminder of what show you are watching. It needs some better pacing.

Hattori

Banned
Jojo 1
That was so laughably bad in best way possible, I love it xD Dio is an amazing antagonist, his VA matches him perfectly.

Jojo 2
Ok, I don't hate you anymore Jojo but you're still not as good as Dio.
I was not expecting a supernatural angle like vampires (?) but it's got my interest.
I'm really diggin' the OP and ED theme.

I'm surprised that I like it, the character designs will take some time getting used to though.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in anime threads yet but can anyone explain why some anime have parts that are clearly darkened for no reason? In some openings (like Witch Craft Works and Attack on Titan). I assume people notice it since it's kinda displeasing to the eyes.

Adventure Time: "Food Chain"

Even in a short guest episode about animals and plants eating each other for a Cartoon Network show, Yuasa can't resist shoving in a romance.

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Great film, highly recommended. The spoiler from the trailer doesn't even end up being that big in the scope of the film. Toothless is still the best and only moe character I care about. My biggest issue is that (huge movie spoilers)
they got over Stoic's death really quickly
. But yeah if you were thinking of watching it, give it a watch. Seems like both of the sequel films that released this weekend (this and 22 Jump Street) were just as good if not better than the original.

Now that I'm back, time for late night Onii-sama.

Conan-san

My pull list for the season;

Shu' in teir
Sword Art Online 2
Nothing is more funny than the internet being stupid about something and I get a good show, it's two great times in one package.

Space Dandy 2
It's more Space Dandy. I could only want it harder if it shot shurikens and lightning, had tits and was on fire.

Sailor Moon Crystal
Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck
Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck Please Don't Suck

Fate/Kaleid 2
A surprisingly well put together show from a few seasons back (Silver Link is Shaft with it's toys taken away and given a focus after all) so I'm in.

Aldnoah.Zero
Gen the Butcher's idea of a real Robot Show. Yeah, Let's do this.

Backup Plan Tier
Persona 4 Golden: The Animation
Say what you will about the whys and hows of this one. It's more of my favourite SMT game being animated and, besides it going completely off the rails, I know what to expect of it. Which is a lot more than I can say for the likes of Sailor Moon right now.

Terror of Resonance
I really don't know about this. Apparently there's a Stand like element to the series but in the end this could end up like a not funny, not poignant Black Lions and that would be terrible (and the first legitimate black mark on Watanabe which he needs like a hole in the head).

Francesca
Urgh, I really wish Japan would take the hint and let flash animation just animate properly (it's not like they haven't seen that, apparently MLP is doing Bushiroad some sort of bank) cause this looks like a good idea for a show (Zombies fight Zombies, hilarity ensues) that's gonna be kneecapped by an animation budget that's barely on the 4's.

FOAD Tier
Free 2: Trash Harder
It's bad enough stupid bullshit like this taps out KyoAni (who themselves are a tired horse long since destined for the glue factory) and I wouldn't mind if it did anything to improve this sort of nonsense but it doesn't. Replacing girls eating cake with guys doing similar does bugger and all and, whilst I know it will probably pull Amazing Spiderman numbers, I sort of wish it the luck of ASM2.

Momo Kyun Sword
"momotaro done with modern sensibilities" is about right. Sigh.

Glasslip is next season? Yessssssss! Give it to me PA Works.

Also Silver Link should go back and make more Baka & Test. That was the best and needs some proper conclusion of any sort.

Mokoi

Banned
Hmm based on that list i sorted out what to watch.

Watching

• Tokyo Ghoul
  • Barakamon
  • Terror in Tokyo

Maybe

• P4-Golden
  • Aldonah.Zero
  • Tokyo ESP

Thoraxes

After a strong TV airing, I bought some Western animu today because it was a good price and I can lend it to friends to be truly dicked. The faux damage on the front and raised title on the side are pretty nice too.

Rust-chan is definitely the cutest.

2014-06-1500.51.33sbsej.jpg

Mekakucity Actors 10

vKgkhu3l.jpg

Continues to be the best show this season. Continues to have amazing covers of the original Kagerou Daze songs.

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin 10

Sugita gets ruined and then ruins someone day again.

Kamigami no Asobi 11

Sorry no talking to the teacher this time so snooze.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC V 09

Blah blah, feelings just get on with the duel. Also token girl sidekick is going to lose terrible next episode and she deserves it.

After a strong TV airing, I bought some Western animu today because it was a good price and I can lend it to friends to be truly dicked. The faux damage on the front and raised title on the side are pretty nice too.

Rust-chan is definitely the cutest.

[IG]http://abload.de/img/2014-06-1500.51.33sbsej.jpg[/IMG]

I guess if they have no means of owning HBO Go this could be useful. But I have yet to own an HBO show because of this... besides flight of the conchords.

Thoraxes

I guess if they have no means of owning HBO Go this could be useful. But I have yet to own an HBO show because of this... besides flight of the conchords.

The quality is really outstanding, especially compared to streaming. It was shot on 35mm, and this release is spread across 3 BD-50 discs. Needless to say, holy crap does it look sexy on my TV. I don't watch a ton of HBO shows, but I will always check them out at recommendations of friends. When we watched the season finale together a few months back, I knew I had to buy it, and I ended up getting it for $25 which is great value. IMO, the fidelity alone (provided you have a TV to get the most out of it) makes the release worth owning alone, which is one of my reasons for buying it even though i've seen the show already.

I don't think most of my friends take part in a ton of subscription services though, either. Mostly just Netflix seems popular among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom