• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Ah yeah every Mc is kind of equally dense, and I don't know how dense Ichika is because I didn't watch stratos. It looked like shiiittt!
Well, its dumb as hell and the plot is even worse, but I have to say, it does have Charu and Laura.
jQs0laaE8xR0z.png

It's actually a remix of both OPs and all in glorious 2D animation! But glad you liked it and Kuroi is just a salty old guy.
Edit: I was actually hoping Chihaya would receive a boost, but can't win them all I suppose. Personally love Chihaya due to her singing voice and her character arc just compliments it.

And it looks like you alrady finished the first season of Puchimas! by the time I replied, go and and watch the second season!
I'm already on it. The second season is even better with all the new crazy abilities.
It's not like I dislike Chihaya, but she seems like a person, with whom I only do business.

Date a Live Episode 3 (Engdub)

Origami reconfirmed for worst Date a Live, that was annoying
and then not even apologizing or nothing, surely she could have anticipated that he was just way too close?!

BqIM5mlCUAIOzPO.png

That one girl with the Tonamachi radar was funny, i hope Shido isnt going to be cheating all seasons, he popping up right when Shido needed him best with two tickets even. More please.
I don't think I've ever looked forward to impressions more than DTL doing DAL.

cajunator

Banned
Just a heads up for Strike Witches fans, both S1 and S2 DVD/Blurays are on sale at Amazon for under $15 each. It's the SAVE edition but the cover is reversible and the original covers are the reverse side.

Hmmm. That kinda sucks. I have some artboxes so its not an issue.

Rinko is more important than the betterment of the world. Also get hype for GBF 2!
mzXnHxD.png

I love her <3

If we ever get that translation of the Mai Ball! graphical novel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDfXLjr2iz4) I mentioned before, I'm pretty sure that could make you a believer on "The Beautiful Game"! :)

Possibly, at least in anime form. Taisho Baseball girls made me enjoy baseball for a short duration.

The ratio of moe girl avatars to everything else in this page is incredible.

Its amazing isnt it?

I don't think I've ever looked forward to impressions more than DTL doing DAL.

at least he knows how not best girl Origami is.

mankoto

Star Driver 02-06
This series has been really good so far. I stopped here as a drop off point so I could pick up something else that would be a good enough distraction so I won't watch this all at once.

Yowamushi Pedal 01-07
Decided to pick this up with along side Star Driver for reasons already said. Barring a few volumes of The Prince of Tennis I've read a long time ago, my relationship with sports anime/manga is nonexistent so i picked this up to add some variety. And I'm quite surprised, this is honestly a lot more fun watching than I thought it would be. Luckily this is a longer series so I won't have to feel guilty for watching more episodes at once.

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii 10
Well this went in a direction I didn't expect. Had me on edge the whole time.

cnet128

Banned
Gokukoku no Brynhildr 11

I kind of wish nobody had mentioned that the anime skipped over an arc, because now it's really kind of bugging me that I'm missing out on something >.>

Can't really complain that much, though, since the events that are being covered are still hugely entertaining. The new harem member is just as...unique...in attitude as the rest of them, with her amicable yet decidedly self-interested ways, and the sudden
"save one girl by sacrificing all the rest"
ultimatum made for a pretty touching little bit of drama, even if the outcome was fairly obvious. I also wasn't expecting
Kuroneko's identity to finally get revealed so suddenly

...And of course, the latest enemy witch is an utter beast. How they're going to get out of this one I have no idea. Also intrigued by what the deal is with her as a character, since her relationship with the creepy plainface scientist dude seems...a little unnatural.

Mokoi

Banned
Star Driver 02-06
This series has been really good so far. I stopped here as a drop off point so I could pick up something else that would be a good enough distraction so I won't watch this all at once.

This show was a lot of fun. Fights were over the top which was great. Glad I kept with it those necks really put me off at first.

Nobunaga The Fool Episode 23: The World (reversed)

The final stage is set with everyone finally saying their final lines. Powerful episode where drama was concerned.
I thought there would be no more deaths on their side but the writer seemed to want to just shock us all. The Himiko one due to how she was stopped initially by Monkey and then Nobu feeling regret over what she ended up going through, moving to end up sacrificing herself for her bethrothed took things to a level unexpected. The tears shed by Nobu and Hide's screams even...

Judgement needs to arrive for King Arthur.

Well, its dumb as hell and the plot is even worse, but I have to say, it does have Charu and Laura.

I'm already on it. The second season is even better with all the new crazy abilities.
It's not like I dislike Chihaya, but she seems like a person, with whom I only do business.

Yeah yeah I didn't mean it like that, but I do agree Chihaya is a serious and sometimes cold character, I personally found appeal in her when her character arc was then shown (and her singing voice...).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just went through the last two episodes of One Week Friends and boy did this get terrible so fast. The explanation of her amnesia, the new guy, and Hase being so fedora. I can't believe that the boring Kawaisou might end up being the better romcom this season.

I just went through the last two episodes of One Week Friends and boy did this get terrible so fast. The explanation of her amnesia, the new guy, and Hase being so fedora. I can't believe that the boring Kawaisou might end up being the better romcom this season.

Mayumi makes Kawaisou the best romcom of the last few years.

sasuke_91

Yowamushi Pedal 01-07
Decided to pick this up with along side Star Driver for reasons already said. Barring a few volumes of The Prince of Tennis I've read a long time ago, my relationship with sports anime/manga is nonexistent so i picked this up to add some variety. And I'm quite surprised, this is honestly a lot more fun watching than I thought it would be. Luckily this is a longer series so I won't have to feel guilty for watching more episodes at once.
Yowamushi Pedal is pretty cool. The cgi bike-scenes annoy me a bit, but Onoda is a really cool character.

My favourite characters are Andy and Frank^^

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The second to last episode of Kawaisou still had the main character freaking out over touching the main girl's back. It's honestly not even worth calling these shows "romcoms" when there isn't even a hint of romance inside of them. I don't think database sites even list "romance" as one of One Week Friend's genres.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The second to last episode of Kawaisou still had the main character freaking out over touching the main girl's back. It's honestly not even worth calling these shows "romcoms" when there isn't even a hint of romance inside of them. I don't think database sites even list "romance" as one of One Week Friend's genres.
Hey, it's anime... what can ya do? It's just too bad that the guys are so terrible. lol

Mmmhh what does it mean? boring? shy?
She does that same old shy voice over and over again and people go "hnng".

cajunator

Banned

I still say Ai yori Aoshi is one of the sweetest romance animes even if they tried to ruin the dynamic with the harem stuff.

I think it started sucking since the beach episode and it really reinforced it in these episodes (lol at Hase being a Fedora lord). Or maybe it never was that good and once a few episodes went by, the moe factor got old and we saw the naked emperor as it was.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey, I like her, but she's basically a one trick pony at this point. lol

I think it started sucking since the beach episode and it really reinforced it in these episodes (lol at Hase being a Fedora lord). Or maybe it never was that good and once a few episodes went by, the moe factor got old and we saw the naked emperor as it was.
I thought it was pleasant when it was just the two/four of them. The drama wasn't completely ridiculous. But it's the same thing that happened with Pet Girl, where the characters are mired in drama that causes the characters to reset and go through the same character arcs. At least this show doesn't have two cours to fill, I suppose.

Jex

Gundam SEED - 22

Ah yes, it's the scene where the hotshot female pilot of the heroes and the noble pilot of the enemy forces find themselves stranded on an island and confront each other.

It would be years later before a certain other mecha anime did the exact same thing.

You're talking as if SEED invented it!

cnet128

Banned
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara 11

IDOL TIME ENSUES. Nanami x Serikyan is a highly acceptable yuri pairing.

And then the show's weird drama decides to suddenly go into overdrive out of the blue. Ohhhhhh dear. It's another one of those
main character disappears from (almost) everyone's memories
storylines. I think being Nanami may have just become suffering.

Joe Molotov

What about the great romance that going on in Mahouka?

I thought it was pleasant when it was just the two/four of them. The drama wasn't completely ridiculous. But it's the same thing that happened with Pet Girl, where the characters are mired in drama that causes the characters to reset and go through the same character arcs. At least this show doesn't have two cours to fill, I suppose.

I agree the show was pleasant at first.
But you comment how at least it doesn't fill two cours. I will say even more.
If that initial pleasantness was the only virtue of the series, it would have been better to cut it back even more, to six episodes as a sweet point, eight maximum. Do we really need more episodes of Hase going to the roof of school, presenting himself to her again and eating lunch together, and saying goodbye while they blush profusely?
It's wise to know when to not stay and retreat. And in this case, it's wise to know that more is not better. With less I would have called it a "short but sweet story". Equivalent at one volume romance manga. Now not so much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Knights of Sidonia 10
Ever wondered what it would look like if a character was beat up and comically full of bruises in CG?
9AwbGz6l.jpg

Yeah...
Also, I wish I could like this show more than I do. It's just so shounen/harem.

---
Sportsballs
IwhCmdbl.jpg

AgWbhaXl.jpg

So these are from the latest Baby Steps, but I'm not picking on that show in particular. It's a problem in Knight in the Area, Haikyuu, Kurobasket, Chihayafuru, and so on.
I can see the appeal of the obsessive "in the athlete's head" thing in manga form, because you can read through a scene of sports exposition quickly. But when you're forced to basically sit through the characters explaining strategy to "you", it gets really tiresome.

You compare that to Ping Pong:
rDfqbqOl.jpg

The characters talk to themselves about the paddles the other guy is using, but it's not explained to death for the sake of wanting to explain something to a reader. These guys know what it means to use one side of the paddle or the other, and there's no need to go on and on about how certain sized pips are used for a particular swing.

Here's another pet peeve. In your standard sports shows, the bystanders basically repeat basic information to "you" because the author thinks that "you" are too dumb to understand what is going on in the game:
yEo01h2l.jpg

In Ping Pong there's some of that as well, because it's easy shorthand, but they also use it to reveal something about the characters:
R4qYafjl.jpg

You learn as much about Kong here as you do about Kazama. It all leads to the whole "people can fly" climax that makes the outcome of the match so satisfying.

I wish sports shows could do better, since they are so popular and we get a couple every season. But Chihayafuru sort of proved to me that even a female protagonist isn't enough to make your standard sports show interesting... so I don't know what else they can do.

I understand that a shounen sports show can't be like Ping Pong, because you have to fill so much dead air and because your characters have to be stock, tropey characters with singular personalities and very little character growth. But I feel like if they just toned down the sports wankery parts of the shows, they'd at least be tolerable without a fast forward button.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I agree the show was pleasant at first.
But you comment how at least it doesn't fill two cours. I will say even more.
If that initial pleasantness was the only virtue of the series, it would have been better to cut it back even more, to six episodes as a sweet point, eight maximum. Do we really need more episodes of Hase going to the roof of school, presenting himself to her again and eating lunch together, and saying goodbye while they blush profusely?
It's wise to know when to not stay and retreat. And in this case, it's wise to know that more is not better. With less I would have called it a "short but sweet story". Equivalent at one volume romance manga. Now not so much.
I've been thinking that the Kadokawa move of doing only 10 episodes per season is the death of anime. But now I'm not so sure any more. There's no reason a season needs to be 12-13 episodes. Noitamina has already proven that. And if you do 10 episode seasons, you could probably fit a fifth season into the year.

Now I&#8217;m hesitant to catch up with One Week Friends (currently at ep.7) because of you guys :(
It's painful bro. :(

What about the great romance that going on in Mahouka?
I haven't seen it, but since Wixoss apparently went full incest, you can't even joke about that any more. lol

The only winning movie - not to watch anime!
Then I get to complain about how American romcoms are all heterosexual and feature white people. :(

She probably gets typecasted more then anyone else, they just want her to do that one voice.
Oh sure. Like all anime actors, really. But her voice alone is not enough to make a boring character interesting. At least in TWGOK, that Book Girl had motivations and showed some character growth. In Kawaisou, she literally just blushes every week.

Ping Pong is as much a sports anime as True Detective is a police series.
Both are examples of how you can work within a genre and still produce something interesting.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Everything about the Baby Steps dissection of tennis makes it seem like it comes from a person with almost no understanding of the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom