• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Isshuukan Friends 11

The only bad thing about this show is all the goddamn negativity about it in this thread, which is starting to really irritate me.

The show itself is still good. The drama makes it less full of fuzzy happiness than in the early episodes, but it doesn't feel badly executed or dragged out. Characters are actually talking through their issues and moving forward. I was a little surprised at how this episode managed to make me feel like
Kujou isn't such a bad guy after all - he was actually really helpful and reasonable in the end, and after hearing his side of the story it's easier to understand why he's so reluctant to accept Hase.
Hase's
insecurity at the end of this episode leading to him starting to distance himself from Kaori
is a little facepalm-worthy, but certainly in character for him, and I'm sure he'll get over that too (the only real question is who'll be the one to talk him out of it =p)

...Also that whole scene with Saki hiding under the desk was adorable in the extreme and she's still the best part of this show, nay, this whole season.

Nafe

I never played Lufia. :(

You're dead to me.
;p

I've never played the Lufia series because they're so rare, but I've always wanted to

Never heard of it but now I have :)

I'm seeing some talk that one or more of them might be coming to the virtual console. Hopefully then people will get a chance to play them.

Don't be impatient, you made a big op, people gotta read that first.

Never played lufia either, btw.

Haha, yeah, I've been a member almost two years and this is the first time I created a topic. Hopefully it at least gets people interested in playing the game anyway.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love Live! S2 11

Aaaaaaargh the FEELS. Feels everywhere. There is no escaping them.
mSRJrRd.gif

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc V Episode 9

Good review of XYZ summon, the rank lvl distinction felt minor
though ended up being the key to victory, loved that strategy, really mindblowing

Person making the duels is having a blast with the action theme, timing attacks just right to make duelists fail to access a card right in their fingertips.

Superflat

Isshuukan Friends 11

The only bad thing about this show is all the goddamn negativity about it in this thread, which is starting to really irritate me.

The show itself is still good. The drama makes it less full of fuzzy happiness than in the early episodes, but it doesn't feel badly executed or dragged out. Characters are actually talking through their issues and moving forward. I was a little surprised at how this episode managed to make me feel like
Kujou isn't such a bad guy after all - he was actually really helpful and reasonable in the end, and after hearing his side of the story it's easier to understand why he's so reluctant to accept Hase.
Hase's
insecurity at the end of this episode leading to him starting to distance himself from Kaori
is a little facepalm-worthy, but certainly in character for him, and I'm sure he'll get over that too (the only real question is who'll be the one to talk him out of it =p)

...Also that whole scene with Saki hiding under the desk was adorable in the extreme and she's still the best part of this show, nay, this whole season.

It is some of the stranger things to read in this thread. The instant negativity when it got more serious, I mean.

Drama is bad if it doesn't feel earned; if the story has characters doing something uncharacteristic for the sake of conflict, betraying the development and just not staying true to what's been shown. So I guess why people are down is because it's simply a shift in focus away from slice-of-life.

The characters and tone of this show are still consistent and rock solid -- the only thing that is different with how the material is handled is the abandonment of the self-contained nature of each episode since there is more of a direct continuity, making the finale a bit predictable.

A lot of the negativity also seems to be "I hate Hase because he is who he is". There's nothing dishonest, out of place, or strange about how Hase is written and portrayed as a character, and I don't think there's a strong argument out there for this show being badly and inconsistently written.

And even with character conflicts, the show doesn't change its tone and keeps its light-hearted touch throughout.

fertygo

I played Lufia II, but stopped after first dungeon, I should get back on that..

=======

Btw regarding to that firehawk's post, pretty sure Ping also had that kind of monologue in a game "which drive that he use" etc.. But sure they ignore it fast, as much I like its approach, I wish they kinda emphasize that technical bit more to just provide enough reason to how the winner outdoing the opponent and not just "we actually super hax at this yo"

Captain Earth 11

You'd think Hana and Akari would know that by now everyone with oddly colored hair is a Designer's Child. I kind of hope she doesn't get her memories back just to make it interesting.
And oh look, there's a green haired guy in the preview. I wonder...

So much info dumping in this episode. I guess I'm starting to understand. But nearly halfway through this, and it still seems like nothing is really happening or there's been little developments.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isshuukan Friends 11

Hase's

The problem with how Hase reacts is that he did the same thing 6 or so episodes ago when other people started joining his private little world. Characters shouldn't be static or regress, unless there's a justifiable reason for them to do so.

The classic example is having a character who is sober fall off the wagon and break their sobriety because of some traumatic event in their lives.

It is some of the stranger things to read in this thread. The instant negativity when it got more serious, I mean.

Drama is bad if it doesn't feel earned; if the story has characters doing something uncharacteristic for the sake of conflict, betraying the development and just not staying true to what's been shown. So I guess why people are down is because it's simply a shift in focus away from slice-of-life.

The characters and tone of this show are still consistent and rock solid -- the only thing that is different with how the material is handled is the abandonment of the self-contained nature of each episode since there is more of a direct continuity, making the finale a bit predictable.

A lot of the negativity also seems to be "I hate Hase because he is who he is". There's nothing dishonest, out of place, or strange about how Hase is written and portrayed as a character, and I don't think there's a strong argument out there for this show being badly and inconsistently written.

And even with character conflicts, the show doesn't change its tone and keeps its light-hearted touch throughout.
Even if we forget the fact that Hase is the "Nice Guy" in the derogatory sense of the term, his whole character depends on Kaori for any definition. He is literally nothing without her, because when we see him he's either with her or pining for her while trying to be her friend.

I just think it's strange that I long for the early days when the very concept of Kaori's amnesia was the only wrinkle I had with the show. That seems quaint now.

I played Lufia II, but stopped after first dungeon, I should get back on that..

=======

Btw regarding to that firehawk's post, pretty sure Ping also had that kind of monologue in a game "which drive that he use" etc.. But sure they ignore it fast, as much I like its approach, I wish they kinda emphasize that technical bit more to just provide enough reason to how the winner outdoing the opponent and not just "we actually super hax at this yo"
Oh yeah, like I said, they still explain things. They just don't do it to the detriment of the pacing of the match. If the sport is supposed to be the "star" of the show, then just let the people play. It's like when TV commentators know to shut up and let the crowd carry a broadcast because nothing they can say is as interesting or emotional as hearing a crowd cheer for their team.
If you're talking about Peco's win... him being just faster than Kazama makes more sense than any of the random hacks that they constantly need to explain in any other sports show. lol

fertygo

I just think it's strange that I long for the early days when the very concept of Kaori's amnesia was the only wrinkle I had with the show. That seems quaint now.

Oh yeah, like I said, they still explain things. They just don't do it to the detriment of the pacing of the match. If the sport is supposed to be the "star" of the show, then just let the people play. It's like when TV commentators know to shut up and let the crowd carry a broadcast because nothing they can say is as interesting or emotional as hearing a crowd cheer for their team.
If you're talking about Peco's win... him being just faster than Kazama makes more sense than any of the random hacks that they constantly need to explain in any other sports show. lol
I don't believe that hold true in basketball :D

Sure, but if you can writing the contestant having metaphor/flashback describing their ideal in the middle of the match (Its the same thing if you ask me) I can't see any reason you can't drop 1-2 line for the reason why the match changed.

Kansoku

The problem with how Hase reacts is that he did the same thing 6 or so episodes ago when other people started joining his private little world. Characters shouldn't be static or regress, unless there's a justifiable reason for them to do so.

I think you're wrong. A friend of mine jokes that we are exactly like Hase and Kiryuu (me being Kiryuu and he being Hase). He likes this girl, and he's constantly overthinking, sometimes he decides to distance himself, as he feels it might not work out, and sometimes he gives he best. Just like Hase.
It's not something out of character, it's not a regression. Doubt just speaks louder fro him, and any time it kicks in, he steps back, and start overthinking and doing his shit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think you're wrong. A friend of mine jokes that we are exactly like Hase and Kiryuu (me being Kiryuu and he being Hase). He likes this girl, and he's constantly overthinking, sometimes he decides to distance himself, as he feels it might not work out, and sometimes he gives he best. Just like Hase.
It's not something out of character, it's not a regression. Doubt just speaks louder fro him, and any time it kicks in, he steps back, and start overthinking and doing his shit.
I accepted it when he started being a dick because his friend suddenly became friends with her, but this feels very much like a repeat of that arc. It'd be something else if they did something unexpected with the ending, like Hase hooking up with the green girl, but I can't imagine they'd have some kind of last minute surprise.

I don't believe that hold true in basketball :D

Sure, but if you can writing the contestant having metaphor/flashback describing their ideal in the middle of the match (Its the same thing if you ask me) I can't see any reason you can't drop 1-2 line for the reason why the match changed.
I mean, you had the audience provide the commentary that a commentator would have. We are basically told that Peco can't play the technical game and should just rely on his instincts. Heck, Kong is basically a colour commentator, since he is literally the ex-athlete in the booth talking about how the players on the court might feel. But it doesn't feel like it's interrupting the match for the sake of exposition.

Lain

La Corda d'Oro Blue Sky 1-11

I marathoned this today and found it to be bad on many levels. Character interactions, motivations, flow of the events, just to name a few. Yet I'm curious to see how it'll end. I'm anticipating the end to be just as bad as everything up to it.

Articalys

Baby Steps ep.11

Even though he really did fight through the whole match, that was a hilarious fluke for the final point.

I think I'm just going to sit back here with cnet and enjoy the show instead of trying to overanalyze why I shouldn't like it.
Though I will agree that the CG... things in the background are a bit of a problem.

La Corda d'Oro Blue Sky 1-11

I marathoned this today and found it to be bad on many levels. Character interactions, motivations, flow of the events, just to name a few. Yet I'm curious to see how it'll end. I'm anticipating the end to be just as bad as everything up to it.

But kyoya! Well thats really only reason I stuck with it, my character type and I wanted to see where he would go in this.

fertygo

I mean, you had the audience provide the commentary that a commentator would have. We are basically told that Peco can't play the technical game and should just rely on his instincts. Heck, Kong is basically a colour commentator, since he is literally the ex-athlete in the booth talking about how the players on the court might feel. But it doesn't feel like it's interrupting the match for the sake of exposition.

I'm gonna rewatch the eps again, but iirc some of Kong's line are pretty poetic, no one commentating ping pong game like that :D

Rhapsody

Banned
People never playing Lufia 2. :/ You guys.
Hopefully it gets on VC after hearing about Lufia 3 being on 3DS's eshop later.

Gonna marathon the week of anime I missed and then some. Finals are done
then summer classes after

Another watchbet, and I now start on:

AnoHana 01

Wow, I like this already, even like the OP. Usually takes a couple of episodes of anything before I do that, not sure about the ED yet though. The main character voiceover stuff reminds me of Toradora a bit.

MORE CHAIKAS MORE PROBLEMS 10

I was kind of hoping for a solo Akari episode there in the first half, just to see how it'd be like. At least Frederica was there.
And then she just "died" which was hilarious
Pretty good set up for the season finale. And it looks like
another Chaika will be entering the race, wooo
I'll agree with others saying that Gillette's group of pursuers aren't very interesting.

Quasar

Baby Steps ep.11

Even though he really did fight through the whole match, that was a hilarious fluke for the final point.

I think I'm just going to sit back here with cnet and enjoy the show instead of trying to overanalyze why I shouldn't like it.
Though I will agree that the CG... things in the background are a bit of a problem.

I continue to like this, a first for me with a normal sport related anime. Though I feared they would drag the match out for a third episode for a bit.

One week friends 11 - Well that was a downer episode. I'm normally sympathetic to Hase, but I want to smack him a bit today.

Gurren Lagann 7
Kamina is going to get Simon and himself killed if he keeps being a dumbass. Also I seriously don't understand Yoko's affection for Kamina. But whatever. I laughed at everyone going "Wow it's so huge!" "It's magnificent!" "I am going to blush." "I don't know if we can take something that big!" "Sugoi!!!".

I just laughed so hard at that part.

AnoHana 01

Wow, I like this already, even like the OP. Usually takes a couple of episodes of anything before I do that, not sure about the ED yet though. The main character voiceover stuff reminds me of Toradora a bit.

Awwww. This is a good one. I really liked the end. Still love the OP to death.

Superflat

Even if we forget the fact that Hase is the "Nice Guy" in the derogatory sense of the term, his whole character depends on Kaori for any definition. He is literally nothing without her, because when we see him he's either with her or pining for her while trying to be her friend.

I would argue strongly against the "Hase is literally nothing without her", because his character and actions are not shown to be exclusive to Kaori; you just need to look at Kiryu to know that. His optimism, naive sensibility, and childish tantrums are built into his core. His character is very easy to imagine in any situation.

It's perfectly reasonable to stop watching because of it; I just don't think there's even a mildly objective reason that explains why it was a bad change. There was a direct split at the midway point where a branch of viewers changed their minds about the show when it started putting more focus and foreshadowing on Kaori. It's a shift in structure, but like I said before, it's not a shift in its core message or themes that have been dealt out since the beginning.

I accepted it when he started being a dick because his friend suddenly became friends with her, but this feels very much like a repeat of that arc. It'd be something else if they did something unexpected with the ending, like Hase hooking up with the green girl, but I can't imagine they'd have some kind of last minute surprise.

Thing is, the motivations behind both these seemingly similar actions (which I would say aren't all that similar to begin with) are completely different. Hase already went through his "selfish friend" arc with the first example you stated. His error this time is a product of love; it's done out of his (incredibly misguided) attempt to protect Kaori. He has since grown to realize his feelings are more than friendship halfway into the series, which color his actions in a different (and I would say more understandable) light.

If they made an unexpected ending like the example you made, that would be a prime example of dishonest writing; the kind that exists to subvert expectation for the sake of it. It wouldn't say anything about the characters or the narrative that's been building up throughout the episodes.

AnoHana 01

I thought Anohana was great! Not perfect (some rushed themes with sappy stage-play writing) but I really loved the atmosphere and tone.

THE ED IS SO FUCKING GOOD SECRET BASE FOREVER. Never really considered it, but I think this show might actually have one of my favorite OP/ED combos of all time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

AnoHana 01

Ending song makes me tear up a bit all the time.

Gurren Lagann 7

Kamina is going to get Simon and himself killed if he keeps being a dumbass. Also I seriously don't understand Yoko's affection for Kamina. But whatever. I laughed at everyone going "Wow it's so huge!" "It's magnificent!" "I am going to blush." "I don't know if we can take something that big!" "Sugoi!!!".

I just laughed so hard at that part.

I didn't get Yoko and Kamina's relationship at first too.

Only just now did I realize what the Dai-Gunzan resembled. The characters in the show said the joke flat-out to my face and I still didn't see it. I've been seeing that thing for almost a year and I didn't notice it until now. What is wrong with me?!?

But anyway, ohhh man. Brace yourself, one of my favourite damn moments in the entire series is in the next episode.

From what I hear it's the show that's the almighty king of drama and sadness. The kind of show that you need to squish two comedies into your viewing schedule in order to get through it.

I'll concede that Anohana and Toradorable come close to having this title. However, this title will always belong to Clannad After Story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would argue strongly against the "Hase is literally nothing without her", because his character and actions are not shown to be exclusive to Kaori; you just need to look at Kiryu to know that. His optimism, naive sensibility, and childish tantrums are built into his core. His character is very easy to imagine in any situation.
Those are characteristics, but not character. He doesn't have any real motivations of his own that are based around his interactions with Kaori.

It's perfectly reasonable to stop watching because of it; I just don't think there's even a mildly objective reason that explains why it was a bad change. There was a direct split at the midway point where a branch of viewers changed their minds about the show when it started putting more focus and foreshadowing on Kaori. It's a shift in structure, but like I said before, it's not a shift in its core message or themes that have been dealt out since the beginning.

Thing is, the motivations behind both these seemingly similar actions (which I would say aren't all that similar to begin with) are completely different. Hase already went through his "selfish friend" arc with the first example you stated. His error this time is a product of love; it's done out of his (incredibly misguided) attempt to protect Kaori. He has since grown to realize his feelings are more than friendship halfway into the series, which color his actions in a different (and I would say more understandable) light.
I don't think of it as a change, just an inevitable aspect of Japanese writing to artificially create conflict for the sake of conflict because they need to fill episodes.

I think the only thing about Japanese romcoms that saves them is that at least they're not a billion seasons like How I Met Your Mother. lol

If they made an unexpected ending like the example you made, that would be a prime example of dishonest writing; the kind that exists to subvert expectation for the sake of it. It wouldn't say anything about the characters or the narrative that's been building up throughout the episodes.
It'd be more interesting if he was attracted to another woman and only helping Kaori because he wants to help her, not because he wants to "nice guy" her. :p

From what I hear it's the show that's the almighty king of drama and sadness. The kind of show that you need to squish two comedies into your viewing schedule in order to get through it.
The movie is much better than the TV series because it minimizes the Okada-ness of the original.

AnoHana 01

Glad you're liking it so far! I'll start Kanon later tonight. :)

Teekyu 2 10-12

And the baseball game was won using ringers and an attack helicopter. Good. More aliens and food too.

It's more of the same just with less fanservice. So it gets the same score as the first season from me, 3/5 tennis balls:
NWtBypa.png
NWtBypa.png
NWtBypa.png
MUwWRxp.png
MUwWRxp.png

Articalys

One Week Friends ep. 9, 10, 11

I'll admit that I'd read ahead a little in the manga and knew what was going to happen in 9 and the first part of 10, but definitely didn't expect what came next.

One last episode, so let's see how they conclude it.

Superflat

Wait did people really like the ED that much? I get more emotional with the OP then the ED (Anohana spoilers in later half of the video). Although both are very good.

I knew the ED song Secret Base from before and always loved it, but I was really pleasantly surprised when I heard it used as Anohana's ED.

I prefer the original instrumentals and voices, but this song's been covered a billion times and is pretty much a widely beloved song because of its nostalgic/melancholy qualities. AAaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

People in this thread don't like anohana from what i understand.

I really liked Nagi no Asukara. If people didn't like Anohana, they must have REALLY hated Nagi lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom