• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think all of that series' followers were "cut down" during the great battle of that season, when it was pitched against Hanasaku Iroha.

Hanasaku Iroha was good until it reached the second half. Felt it reached its course and wasn't as interesting.

Superflat

Those are characteristics, but not character. He doesn't have any real motivations of his own that are based around his interactions with Kaori.

I don't think of it as a change, just an inevitable aspect of Japanese writing to artificially create conflict for the sake of conflict because they need to fill episodes.

I think the only thing about Japanese romcoms that saves them is that at least they're not a billion seasons like How I Met Your Mother. lol

It'd be more interesting if he was attracted to another woman and only helping Kaori because he wants to help her, not because he wants to "nice guy" her. :p

Ah, well to me none of the recent story developments felt all that contrived or an attempt to drag things out. I'm feeling the opposite, in fact: the recent episode is far more revealing in a character and plot sense than many of the early episodes, not to mention a brisker pace as well.

As for the "nice guy" characterization, I don't think the show painted his character to be a fedora type who acts nice because he expects a return. I mean, he was willing to befriend her every damn week despite her memory loss for goodness sake lol. He's just a childish doofus sometimes.

/XX/

Hanasaku Iroha was good until it reached the second half. Felt it reached its course and wasn't as interesting.
I think I can hear from here how duckroll is sharpening the sickle one more time! Don't go badmouthing Mr. Ando, please... :-D

mankoto

Isshuukan Friends 11
I understand that Hase
doesn't want to feel guilty if anything happened Kaori and it turned out to be his fault, but this is not okay.

One Week Friends will go down as one of the most noticeable shark jumps in recent memory. At least Golden Time was honest about its drama from the start. It's like Usagi Drop manga levels of shark jumping.

Well no not that bad.

Youkai Watch 8

Still tackling tough societal issues, such as shut-ins and the lack of enough bathrooms in society.

The Jinmenken running gag is about played out at this point; hopefully the show gives it a rest after this.

Nafe

I'm so behind on anime because of the Nintendo Treehouse thing at E3,haha.

Talking about games though and Chaika and its kind of adventurous tone just reminds me of old RPG games like Lufia II. Different things like the way we got little hints about a flying fortress earlier in the show and now its come to the forefront. The bratty kind of psycho prince is voiced by Megumi Ogata as well. That's neat since I don't recall hearing her in a show for a while.

Even when people were more down on the show I liked it. It didn't matter to me even if it was ultimately average because ultimately I found it entertaining. I found the fights were usually pretty well choreographed and animated too. I've actually grown more fond of the show during its airing and am glad there's going to be a second season or it's continue on. :)

Mokoi

Banned
Hmm Anohana came out in 2011. That must be why I never got to watch it. Was too cool for Chinese cartoons during that time.
Jk I had no internet access out in the country.

Gurren Lagann 8 - Later, Buddy
snap1.jpg
Okay a few things...

1)
I saw Kamina's death coming. Not only was it heavily insinuated by posters here but the title of the episode is a dead giveaway. Still very much a *gasp* moment but still something anyone can see coming.

2) Yeah, they went for the dumb love triangle thing. I knew that would be a catalyst for things to come.
Everything in that scene was made so that way later in the episode it would hurt when Kamina bit the dust. Plus the way they talked to each other is anime code for "someone is about to die".

3) Kamina is a dumbass. A brave and badass dumbass but a dumbass nonetheless.

4) I still really don't understand Yoko's affection for Kamina.
Maybe it's just there to make you sad about the end of the episode
but it still feels like it comes from nowhere.

5) Simon is a pansy. Dude seriously?!

6) Pretty, pretty explosives.

7) Simon got shafted the most with this love triangle thing.

8) This was a relatively good episode. Dat imagery and symbolism at the end.

Your opinion suck, and you should feel bad for it.

Well I can't argue against all those points, you make such a compelling argument.

Okay a few things...

1)
I saw Kamina's death coming. Not only was it heavily insinuated by posters here but the title of the episode is a dead giveaway. Still very much a *gasp* moment but still something anyone can see coming.

2) Yeah, they went for the dumb love triangle thing. I knew that would be a catalyst for things to come.
Everything in that scene was made so that way later in the episode it would hurt when Kamina bit the dust. Plus the way they talked to each other is anime code for "someone is about to die".

8) This was a relatively good episode.

You Only Kiss Once.

Also Simon gets better. Way better. Just give him a couple of more episodes, especially on the second half, he's great on that.

Stulaw

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 11

New girl in the Harem, and Ryouta's finally realised that Kuroneko is Kuroneko, only for Valkyria to teleports into the observatory and introduces herself, while earlier she blew a volcano up with antimatter causing a massive eruption, yes, shit is going down.

Superflat

There's really not much to it, they just liked each other in a generic "two-action heroes get together" kinda way.

I would also say that what happened there was not a love triangle, just a couple + a boy who was infatuated with Yoko because she had so much talent. That's how I see it anyway.

Indeed.

Being upset about drama in a teen drama is kind of confusing.

I'm upset the show got shitty and decided to focus away from the diabeetus it had going for it at first. The drama was extremely toned down and then these last couple of episodes it relatively sky rocketed. If you enjoy it that's fine, but it seems like a majority of folks here have a similar opinion so it's not like I'm a rebel. I have better and/or more enjoyable shit to watch.

Hitsugi no Chaika - 10

Much better episode this time around, but pretty unremarkable villains, and we are still forced to deal with Vivi and the glasses girl.

What is with all the one dimensional sadistic villains trying to one-up each other in craziness?

Okay a few things...

1)

Watch to episode 11 right now.

Hitsugi no Chaika - 10

Much better episode this time around, but pretty unremarkable villains, and we are still forced to deal with Vivi and the glasses girl.

What is with all the one dimensional sadistic villains trying to one-up each other in craziness?

Yeah villains are not the series' strong point so far. And the group chasing them are just going to eventually join forces with the leads because they're not complete dicks. Scrapped Princess had better antagonists. But then again there is an entire second half to go, maybe better villains will appear.

Okay a few things...

1)

That part where they combine for the last time will always be one of my favourite moments in all of anime. It had been a long time since I saw a show go from such despair to such awesomeness in a way that made me want to get up and cheer. That animation, that voice acting, those colors, that brave heroes speech, and that music. The music especially. I love that soundtrack. And that Giga Drill Break. That will always be my favourite "final attack" in any anime ever. And that last scene man. Man, I was in a state of absolute SHOCK when that happened. I wasn't aware of the episode's title the first time I saw it. I saw Kamina's death coming in the show (Hell, I was actually spoiled on it), but not that early in the show. But still, the execution of it all. Even the damn robot itself looked like it was crying in that moment with all the rain.

Also, don't you worry Simon will get better.

duckroll

Hitsugi no Chaika - 10

Isn't this the first actual "villain" in the entire series? Not sure who else is a sadist in the show either. We've had a war hero who was simply trying to guard his treasure, a dragoon who misses her master, another Chaika, a soldier driven to paranoia due to war, royalists who turned from rebels to thieves... Don't see much sadism really, just a lot of sad people.

You Only Kiss Once.

Also Simon gets better. Way better. Just give him a couple of more episodes, especially on the second half, he's great on that.

I look forward to that.

You're alright.

Thanks.

There's really not much to it, they just liked each other in a generic "two-action heroes get together" kinda way.

I would also say that what happened there was not a love triangle, just a couple + a boy who was infatuated with Yoko because she had so much talent. That's how I see it anyway.

Well Kamina wasn't really all that into Yoko until like in the middle of this episode. His focus was more about his "blood brother" and making Simon a man (Lol). So it was Simon -> Yoko -> Kamina -> Simon. It's like the definition of a love triangle.

Watch to episode 11 right now.

That's the plan. Hopefully. I need to clean up a bit. But I will right after that.

That part where they combine for the last time will always be one of my favourite moments in all of anime. It had been a long time since I saw a show go from such despair to such awesomeness in a way that made me want to get up and cheer. That animation, that voice acting, those colors, that brave heroes speech, and that music. The music especially. I love that soundtrack. And that Giga Drill Break. That will always be my favourite "final attack" in any anime ever. And that last scene man. Man, I was in a state of absolute SHOCK when that happened. I wasn't aware of the episode's title the first time I saw it. I saw Kamina's death coming in the show (Hell, I was actually spoiled on it), but not that early in the show. But still, the execution of it all. Even the damn robot itself looked like it was crying in that moment with all the rain.

Also, don't you worry Simon will get better.

I hope so.

Also I like the imagery at the end too. Really drove the point home.

It's this the first actual "villain" in the entire series? Not sure who else is a sadist in the show either. We've had a war hero who was simply trying to guard his treasure, a dragoon who misses her master, another Chaika, a soldier driven to paranoia due to war, royalists who turned from rebels to thieves... Don't see much sadism really, just a lot of sad people.

I was talking about anime in general. Not just this one. Should have been more specific.

I really hope this isn't final, but FUNimation appears to re-releasing Baka and Test season two and the OVA collection as a DVD-only S.A.V.E. release. http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?32347-Baka-and-Test-Summon-the-Beasts-Season-2-OVA-Collection-%28S-A-V-E-Edition%29

No re-release for the season one, but that had a regular edition set unlike season two's limited edition BD/DVD set. What I don't understand is the lack of BDs at the moment since the two TV-series and OVA collection were all BD/DVD sets when they first released. Now I wish I had picked up both LE combo sets when they were available.

jbug617

Banned
I really hope this isn't final, but FUNimation appears to re-releasing Baka and Test season two and the OVA collection as a DVD-only S.A.V.E. release. http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?32347-Baka-and-Test-Summon-the-Beasts-Season-2-OVA-Collection-%28S-A-V-E-Edition%29

No re-release for the season one, but that had a regular edition set unlike season two's limited edition BD/DVD set. What I don't understand is the lack of BDs at the moment since the two TV-series and OVA collection were all BD/DVD sets when they first released. Now I wish I had picked up both LE combo sets when they were available.

DVD only is strange. Also the Baka and Test has great disc art

AnoHana 02

An episode all about Nokémon.

Didn't know anybody else around my ago who played Pokémon here so this particular piece of nostalgia doesn't work on me. Poppo seem like a cool guy though. And now that they got the proper ED it's all good.

Superflat

AnoHana 02

An episode all about Nokémon.

Didn't know anybody else around my ago who played Pokémon here so this particular piece of nostalgia doesn't work on me. Poppo seem like a cool guy though. And now that they got the proper ED it's all good.

Awkward Poppo is best Poppo.

I mean Gundam Seed, and I assume other Gundam shows but I may be wrong, show both sides of the war but it doesn't really show this. I guess Yamato also showed a somewhat grey lead villain. Maybe it's a big thing with sci-fi.

Will wait for both seasons and ovas to be released in one set, like sengoku basara got,

DVD only is strange. Also the Baka and Test has great disc art

I am more disappointed than surprised. If anything I hope that the Blu-ray S.A.V.E. release just hasn't appeared, as the September releases have not been finalized, or the Japanese license holder is stopping the Blu-rays because of an upcoming and unannounced BD-box.

FUNimation's release quality has been lacking lately. For example there were the following: (1) Heaven's Lost Property being re-released in the original DVD-sized case with a Blu-ray sized slip-cover, (2) Psycho-Pass' LE artbox being made crooked...and then replaced with an artbox that was too small, and (3) Attack on Titan's LE digibook having shattered cases and discs that were scratched and would skip when played. There could be more, but overall quality control seems to be lacking.

Will wait for both seasons and ovas to be released in one set, like sengoku basara got,

Would be nice, but seeing as this is now a S.A.V.E. title I find it very unlikely. I still need to pick up the series myself.

Clov

FUNimation's release quality has been lacking lately. For example there were the following: (1) Heaven's Lost Property being re-released in the original DVD-sized case with a Blu-ray sized slip-cover, (2) Psycho-Pass' LE artbox being made crooked...and then replaced with an artbox that was too small, and (3) Attack on Titan's LE digibook having shattered cases and discs that were scratched and would skip when played. There could be more, but overall quality control seems to be lacking.

Funimation's packaging/disks are usually the best part of their releases. Maybe trying to cash in on the whole collector's edition releases that NISA and Aniplex have done so well with has caused them to rush things. Disappointing, but thankfully this hasn't effected any of the releases I've gotten from them so far.

You know, even though it's the new rage in western media that villains now need to have a tragic backstory or be relatable/grey, anime genuinely need this more.

The sad thing is, most of the time when an anime does do that, it's often done in a very rushed way in a vain last-minute attempt to get you to feel sympathetic for a character you've grown to hate.

Something like this happened in the recent Fairy Tail chapter and it really pissed me off the way it was done.

Baka & Test is so good. Got both LE versions of both seasons and the OVA's. Where's my season 3 Silver Link?! This is almost as tragic as Spice & Wolf not getting a 3rd season. :(

Superflat

You know, even though it's the new rage in western media that villains now need to have a tragic backstory or be relatable/grey, anime genuinely need this more.

I dunno if it's a 'new' rage really, but there have been more popular (western) shows where the villain is the main character, like Breaking Bad, Fargo, Dexter. Death Note is kiiiinda like that, except Light is an unrelatable douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom