• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I mean Gundam Seed, and I assume other Gundam shows but I may be wrong, show both sides of the war but it doesn't really show this. I guess Yamato also showed a somewhat grey lead villain. Maybe it's a big thing with sci-fi.

You get a lot of grey morality from Char in the original Gundam series

Baka & Test is so good. Got both LE versions of both seasons and the OVA's. Where's my season 3 Silver Link?! This is almost as tragic as Spice & Wolf not getting a 3rd season. :(

It appears the original LN ended last November, so just like with Spice & Wolf (or even Haruhi Suzumiya which is in light novel limbo) a third anime season may not happen as there is nothing to promote besides the manga adaptation.

Teekyu 3 01-03

ku5qICl.jpg

Best skiing episode ever.

The new OP isn't as good as the previous one and not as funnily bad as the first one, and the fanservice is back. There's also hordes of chihuahuas, lightning strikes and pog gangs.

Nafe

AnoHana 02

An episode all about Nokémon.

Didn't know anybody else around my ago who played Pokémon here so this particular piece of nostalgia doesn't work on me. Poppo seem like a cool guy though. And now that they got the proper ED it's all good.

If I recall correctly then this might be my favorite episode,haha.

For me I was interested in and bought a copy of the first Pokémon before many people had heard of it or knew what it was. I did get to play a bit with friends later though when the whole thing just exploded in popularity. That was the only version of the main games I ultimately played though and so this episode felt very nostalgic but at the same time I couldn't relate to things like trying to find a shiny Pokémon, or Nokémon in this case.

Recently though I did get a chance to play through Pokémon Silver for the first time. Again it was very nostalgic but also new. The games multiplayer might have a deep meta game but in the single player adventure levels clearly don't matter and it's all about types and stats.

For example Champion Red's team has the levels:
Pikachu (lvl. 81)
Espeon (lvl. 73)
Blastoise (lvl. 77)
Snorlax (lvl. 75)
Charizard (lvl. 77)
Venusaur (lvl. 77)

and I beat him with my team of:
Kadabra (lvl. 65)
Houndoom (lvl. 48)
Typhlosion (lvl. 48)
Graveller (lvl. 48)
Gyarados (lvl. 33)
- Didn't use it in the battle
Voltorb (lvl. 9) or something,haha. I only used it because it had Flash to get through Mt. Silver.

Clov

It appears the original LN ended last November, so just like with Spice & Wolf (or even Haruhi Suzumiya which is in light novel limbo) a third anime season may not happen as there is nothing to promote besides the manga adaptation.

Didn't the Haruhi novels end a year or so ago?

Kyuur

Present Day.
Present Time!
NUAHAHAHAHA

Serial Experiments Lain 6 - End

Ok.

Some cool ideas and philosophy behind this, story was alright. Pacing was a little slow in some places with the long intense staring, but otherwise fine. The visual direction was fantastic, definitely nothing around like it.

As with most series in this kind of style I enjoyed the process of figuring out what was going on, although it definitely isn't shallow enough to grasp entirely on the first viewing without reading some dissections on the internet. In way it kind of reminded me of FLCL.

It also gave us a great opening, definitely up there with my favorites. The rest of the soundtrack was kind of unmemorable though.

Didn't the Haruhi novels end a year or so ago?

Nagaru Tanigawa hasn't finished writing the next novel to the series, though a short story did come with an artbook last year. There was a 4 year hiatus between the ninth and and tenth/eleventh volumes spanning from 2007 to 2011. Guess readers may have to wait until 2015 or later?

*checks Haruhi hunting site* Hm... Still lots to go...

If I recall correctly then this might be my favorite episode,haha.

For me I was interested in and bought a copy of the first Pokémon before many people had heard of it or knew what it was. I did get to play a bit with friends later though when the whole thing just exploded in popularity. That was the only version of the main games I ultimately played though and so this episode felt very nostalgic but at the same time I couldn't relate to things like trying to find a shiny Pokémon, or Nokémon in this case.

Recently though I did get a chance to play through Pokémon Silver for the first time. Again it was very nostalgic but also new. The games multiplayer might have a deep meta game but in the single player adventure levels clearly don't matter and it's all about types and stats.

Hehe. I think I only ever beat Pokémon Red. Had nobody to trade with or stuff so never did catch 'em all :p

Gurren Lagann 9 - Say Whaaaaaa?!
That new OP. It's pretty good.
Kamina's absence is definitely felt (not only in this OP but this episode)

New characters enter. Yoko makes a weird face to the new girl because she's all over Simon. You can't do that Yoko! You can't be like
"Well Kamina died so time to go to my backup dude"
. That's not how this works!

Come oooooooonnnn Simon! I know you can be cool. Please for the love of God be cool!

From what I understand, they haven't actually released all the video frames into the wild yet, so what's been completed so far might be everything out there at the moment.

Yeah. There's lots of "coming soon". Some that can be hunted are not found yet though. Frames 158, 357, 359-362.

Chronoexe

New characters enter. Yoko makes a weird face to the new girl because she's all over Simon. You can't do that Yoko! You can't be like

Come oooooooonnnn Simon! I know you can be cool. Please for the love of God be cool!

Believe in Simon.

cajunator

Banned

I already weighed in on the subject

Another watchbet, and I now start on:

AnoHana 01

Wow, I like this already, even like the OP. Usually takes a couple of episodes of anything before I do that, not sure about the ED yet though. The main character voiceover stuff reminds me of Toradora a bit.

not Secret Base? Wuuuuuuuut

By the way, is it just me, or does this feel like there's more posts than usual for a Sunday?

Nah. It seems typical to me.

santeesioux

Nagaru Tanigawa hasn't finished writing the next novel to the series, though a short story did come with an artbook last year. There was a 4 year hiatus between the ninth and and tenth/eleventh volumes spanning from 2007 to 2011. Guess readers may have to wait until 2015 or later?

That's some George R. R. Martin type writing.

Date a Live II end

I'm such a sucker for orchestrated versions of OPs that any scene that utilizes them is instantly awesome for me. Love it as final boss music and love it in anime.

As for the show itself, it was a show or something.

Rhapsody

Banned
Baka & Test is so good. Got both LE versions of both seasons and the OVA's. Where's my season 3 Silver Link?! This is almost as tragic as Spice & Wolf not getting a 3rd season. :(

Basically if Brains Base is the studio behind a season (in this case S&W), don't expect them to do the next season :/

I do want another Baka to Test though. LN finished I think?

Oh, like you wouldn't give an odd look at a guy you know well who angrily stormed off and was found in the middle of a nowhere with a girl you've never met before.

And Simon can be cool all right. Keep going, he'll get cool very soon.

Guys quick what should I watch?

*some restrictions do apply*

Did you watch Nanoha? Recommending that because it's a cool little mahou shoujo that has a great second season that shouldn't be missed by any mahou shoujo lovers.

Have you seen Black Jack? You should totally watch Black Jack. It's long (over 60 episodes) and purely episodic, but it's sooooo good.

one week friends 11
The side romance between Saki and Kiryu is really adorable. And they are trying to increase the feels by having Hase
stupidly ignore Kaori because of guilt

That damn pachinko machine that this thing is promoting better be out by the time I go to Japan, I'm gonna wanna play it.

Hmm... Dunno about that, but at least the new Radio Kaikan building should be opened by the time you're going. Feel free to visit that and get some pics.

Oh, like you wouldn't give an odd look at a guy you know well who angrily stormed off and was found in the middle of a nowhere with a girl you've never met before.

And Simon can be cool all right. Keep going, he'll get cool very soon.

I would not. As a matter of fact I would've high fived Simon. Almost did.

Yoko's look was more of a look of jealousy and "Bitch, I marked him first. He's mine even though he was
the back-up option.
"

You treat a guy like he's the back up and eventually he will just find someone who won't treat him like that. Yoko got what she deserved. But at least she isn't being as reckless as Simon.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hen Zemi episode 11
The power of Zettai Ryouiki, the beginning of this episode starts out on a high note.
edit: holyshit this is the best episode by far

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - 6 END
I completely forgot about finishing this during the E3 shuffle, but I finally got around to it today.

So this was a satisfying conclusion. I'm very relieved that they decided to subvert expectations with how certain major players were resolved in favor of a comparatively smaller scale confrontation. It had just the right amount of set up to to really nail the ending to Al and Bernie's arc. And those bittersweet final moments (the recoooording) really showed me how far this brief OVA has come around since those first two tonally mishandled episodes. It just goes to show how good the latter four episodes were that they were able to help bounce the narrative back into shape for me. I do wish it could have given a little more time to flesh out Christina, but with such a short length, I think they made the right choice to focus in on Al and Bernie's friendship as the emotional centerpiece.

Now I feel some motivation to try out more Gundam stuff.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Did you watch Nanoha? Recommending that because it's a cool little mahou shoujo that has a great second season that shouldn't be missed by any mahou shoujo lovers.
Nanoha is Pretty Sammy without humor or human relationships, and I'm only being slightly unfair in saying so.

foxuzamaki

Hen Zemi episode 12
The last few episodes have been on a absolute rol, really killing it with the comedy
total :DTL episode

Nanoha is Pretty Sammy without humor or human relationships, and I'm only being slightly unfair in saying so.

Dude, Nanoha has magical girl Gundam fights.

And the final battle of the second season is like something out of a Super Robot mecha show. Only with magical girls.

I played Getter Robo's "Heats" song over it one time. Soooo gooood.

Gurren Lagann 10

Alright I get it. Enough with depressed
Yoko and Simon

Episode 11 better be a strong episode.

Give Simon a bit of a break. For us it's a bit annoying because we didn't know the character as much, but for Simon you're asking him to change his whole attitude towards life. I think it's episode 11 he turns into a great character. But don't quote me on that.

foxuzamaki

Hen Zemi episode 13(END)
This is actually the first episode I wish was longer, or atleast a 2 parter, for those who dont know, hen Zemi is only 12 mins long.

Syrinx

Nichibros 1

I've yet to encounter a pure comedy anime that I've really liked, so this kinda thing isn't my forte. Enjoyed the skirt scene and the scene at the end with that girl trying to recreate her novel and her having that face when it was going disturbingly well, and how she beat the shit out of Tadakuni for ruining it.

Guy shaved his nipple off. Bro...

Nichibros 1

I've yet to encounter a pure comedy anime that I've really liked, so this kinda thing isn't my forte. Enjoyed the skirt scene and the scene at the end with that girl trying to recreate her novel and her having that face when it was going disturbingly well, and how she beat the shit out of Tadakuni for ruining it.

Guy shaved his nipple off. Bro...

Nichibros is a great show, I think anyone can like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom