• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magical girl anime.

cXQucIf.jpg

Well that's what it felt like. The one-on-one fights, the weapons, the giant laser beams, etc.

Nanoha has a
a freakin' spaceship with a commander.
. Just like some Gundam shows. (or any other sci-fi on that matter)

And even more on the Super Robot point... *somewhat NSFW*

Gurren Lagann 10

Alright I get it. Enough with depressed
Yoko and Simon

Episode 11 better be a strong episode.

It is. Something indeed awesome happens in it. =D

Mokoi

Banned
Ping Pong 9

The comic style shots in the beginning of the match between Smile, and Sanada made me feel sick. I don't know why motion sickness maybe? Kong still remains my favorite character in the show, I like how the Kiao players are supposed to be hardcore, but really show their true feelings.
Smile has become flat, but seeing him as a kid makes me think he will smile if Peco wins.
can't wait to see that. Digging the pompadour Sakuma is rocking. This show has my vote for AOTS.

Love Live S2 11

Nahh Nahh I didn't feel anything. Only Grave of Fireflies can move my heart.

i6cZ8oq9qq1Gd.gif

Edit: Dem feels joke aside I dislike the attempts at drama the show tries to bring on. The only time I liked it was Nozomi's episode because it didn't feel absurdly dumb unlike Honoka's bullshit. For me the show shines best when they are practicing or doing silly things. For example the Halloween episode. Basically I can sum the story of this episode with the wise words of Maki.

Jex

Here's another pet peeve. In your standard sports shows, the bystanders basically repeat basic information to "you" because the author thinks that "you" are too dumb to understand what is going on in the game:
yEo01h2l.jpg

In Ping Pong there's some of that as well, because it's easy shorthand, but they also use it to reveal something about the characters:
R4qYafjl.jpg

You learn as much about Kong here as you do about Kazama. It all leads to the whole "people can fly" climax that makes the outcome of the match so satisfying..
That's kind of a basic shounen technique as well. One hand it seems to infantilize the audience and on the other it helps pad out time. Gotta hit those episode minute counts!

Gurren Lagann 11 - Simon is Bigger, Better and More Badass
YYYYEEEEEEESSSSSS! I literally stood up and applauded towards the end of the episode. Fantastic! A couple of things...

1)
"That's what Kamina would do!"
Kamina was a dumbass and you are too for doing what Kamina would do. It was so obviously a trap it was painful. Although they saved all the girls so I guess I can forgive that. Love what Ron says when they find the town is all girls. Lol.

2) While I get that they were trying to give Simon tough love (which, shocker,
didn't work
) some of their responses were just cold when talking about Simon. Like when asking why
Lagann was in the trash heap the group responds with "it belongs in the trash, that's where worthless things go and without Simon it's worthless" even going as far as saying "Simon is dead weight and don't coddle him"
. Some of this even said by
Yoko
. I liked Yoko a lot before episode 8 but now she's starting to bug me.

3) Amazing animation towards the end there. Simon has FINALLY grown into his own independent person. Congrats!

This show is officially awesome!

YYYYEEEEEEESSSSSS! I literally stood up and applauded towards the end of the episode. Fantastic! A couple of things...

1)
Kamina was a dumbass and you are too for doing what Kamina would do. It was so obviously a trap it was painful. Although they saved all the girls so I guess I can forgive that. Love what Ron says when they find the town is all girls. Lol.

didn't work
) some of their responses were just cold when talking about Simon. Like when asking why
Lagann was in the trash heap the group responds with "it belongs in the trash, that's where worthless things go and without Simon it's worthless" even going as far as saying "Simon is dead weight and don't coddle him"
Yoko

3) Amazing animation towards the end there. Simon has FINALLY grown into his own independent person. Congrats!

Yeah the hate and tough love was a bit too much. But personally I never truly stopped disliking yoko. I mean I didn't hate her I just never liked her.

Articalys

Thanks to that self-mini-marathon of One Week Friends earlier, I'm finally caught up with all my shows for the season, just in time for the last couple weeks.
Best:
Captain Earth
Haikyuu

Great:
Gochiusa
Love Live

Pretty Good:
Baby Steps
Ping Pong
One Week Friends
Nanana

Good:
Chaika
Jojo
NGNL

Variable:
Mushishi

SHAFT:
Mekaku City Actors

Pocket Monsters X/Y 31

DO0ni7ol.jpg

She'll never give up.

Puchimas!! 61

I guess commercials really do work.

Ace of Diamond 36

Enter Sanada, the greatest baseball player ever if he lives up to his namesake

Isshukan Friends 11

The beta couple is so adorable.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume 2 02-04

That was pretty darn well good English.

1)

didn't work
Yoko

If you're worried about Yoko now, don't worry she gets an episode where she REALLY shines.

Also, congratulations! You've made it past the tough parts! Are you ready? Because from this point onwards the show cranks it up to 11!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's kind of a basic shounen technique as well. One hand it seems to infantilize the audience and on the other it helps pad out time. Gotta hit those episode minute counts!
Not only that, but then you have a billion episodes as well. If Ping Pong was was a normal show, it'd be 50 episodes and each tournament would be 20 episodes long. lol

Isshukan Friends 11

The beta couple is so adorable.
If only the show was about them. They're basically the more reasonable version of the main couple. :p

back again, hows anime going?

im sad that i've like dropped like half the shows i commited this season :/

its pretty much just hxh, baseball, tennis, rabbit cafe, mangaka assistant, nanana, no game no loli.

what are the must watches i've missed?

does 1 week friend get any better? They keep on adding more cast and i got bored.

ckohler

1)

didn't work
Yoko

It is awesome. One of the best of all time.

Just curious, are you watching the sub or dub? I found the dub to be very entertaining.

Gurren Lagann 12 - The Beach Episode
gurrenlagann-ep12_1221602454.jpg

This episode was hilarious in its first half. Good to see the show go back to a little bit of light comedy and "fun". Loved how Yoko would
lose to everything Nia did
. Nice to see Yoko return to her old self. No one really
sulked or was still mourning over Kamina's death. Which I am happy about. We had those episodes, we were all broken up about it but it's good to see the cast has, for the most part, moved on
. Second half was nice too as it showed how far Simon has come from the first episode.

Really solid episode.

Also those mid cards (NSFW)

Rhapsody

Banned
One Week Friends 11

One more episode left. I liked it when the series wasn't too focused on drama, but we all knew the last few episodes would be like this. I don't mind it, but I did enjoy it when it was all happy. Good Saki scenes lately though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's a pretty big accusation. I remember loving and nurturing this community. I tried my best, sorry if that wasn't good enough.
He lives!

Muuuuuuse
dGhoLDjl.jpg

Not much to say other than I wonder if that's a real QR code. lol

Well, also that K-ON did it better! ;)
Well, to be fair, I think Love Live handled their graduation arc pretty well. It's just one of those things that feels so standard now is all. Dem feels, etc. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wow, I thought Tomat was permabanned like a year ago. I guess he just gravitated to other communities.

Articalys

K-On also had four fewer characters, about twelve more episodes, and a much less compressed time frame, so it's hardly a fair comparison.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Wow, I thought Tomat was permabanned like a year ago. I guess he just gravitated to other communities.

Not really, I tried to tone down my shitposting and couldn't find anything I was interested in watching for a while. I never actually play any other games long enough to stick to a single community. AnimeGAF was really the only place I posted consistently.

I liked to pretend I played DOTA2 in the DOTA2 thread though.

Hattori

Banned
Jojo Phantom Blood Arc
Well it's finally over.
Jonathan actually redeemed himself in my eyes, it's too bad he had too die though. A new Jojo?!? Hopefully this one has a better personality than the last.

Jojo Phantom Blood Arc
Well it's finally over.
Jonathan actually redeemed himself in my eyes, it's too bad he had too die though. A new Jojo?!? Hopefully this one has a better personality than the last.

He does. Every JoJo is better then Jonathan
except Giorno
and all the parts are better then Phantom Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom