• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
rip tomat
died trying to kill animegaf
yumekuimerry28.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/n...ncement/.75572

Hmm. What are the chances we'll be blessed with a third season of Tamayura. That would have me up on a table dancing. Or at least eating some awesome fruit based dessert in celebration.
It has to happen! They need their own graduation arc! lol

---

Atelier suddenly turned into Kaze Tachinu:
dx97ndFl.jpg

I'm still enjoying this as an adventure series... really tempted to break out the game. lol

---

Flag Time 11
DbXK7PZl.jpg

Wideface flags!

I won't talk too much about this episode, because it's not "out" and it's weird... but suddenly they turned it into
The Matrix
. lol

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
God I am so behind on stuff.

Acchi Kocchi 4

Too goddamn adorable. TOO GODDAMN ADORABLE. It really looks amazing, the character designs, the faces (oh my god the faces THE FACES), the animation, the art direction. It just looks so good. Io's such a baller.

Also the ED has this in it:

43tbDpG.gif

everytime...my...heart...help me...

Attack on Titan 4

It's pretty by the book shonen origin story now.

Goddamn I love you Sasha.

SASHA BEST GIRL GODDAMN

OH BOY TITAN TIME!

Mushishi Zoku Shou 8

Yeah just keep whistling bro. Ignore Ginko. So this is like Gremlins but with birds and whistling?

Doctor bro! Long time no see!

I take that back, it's like Gremlins meets the Pied Piper.

Captain Earth 10

Why are they all in flight suits now anyways? Daichi is the only who needs it, maybe Teppei.

I know all these Designer Children get
their real memories back
but the way they're setting up
their pasts, with all their struggles and desires
, they sure as hell better find a way for those to come back and play a role.

KISS HER DAMMIT ARRGH okay, I meant Daichi, you don't have to kiss her, Team Rocket.

Nebula Engine?
OHHHHHHHH BABY

Oh, who do we have here?
Another Pitz and Hana duo? Hmmmm.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Love Live S2 11
Derivative and pathetic in its attempts to be emotionally manipulative. It doesn't really help when the show seems to get completely caught up in its self-searching ponderous bullshit. Even for Love Live this episode had terrible art, which made all of the awkward and unwarranted crying all that much more unbearable and humorous. For all the posturing done about how Muse will never be the same if it was missing any members, it's hard to ignore the fact that the cast feels lacking in individual distinction. In the attempts to bring up some of the characters forgotten last season like Rin and Hanayo this second season turned its back pretty heavily on Kotori and Umi.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Love Live S2 11
Derivative and pathetic in its attempts to be emotionally manipulative. It doesn't really help when the show seems to get completely caught up in its self-searching ponderous bullshit. Even for Love Live this episode had terrible art, which made all of the awkward and unwarranted crying all that much more unbearable and humorous. For all the posturing done about how Muse will never be the same if it was missing any members, it's hard to ignore the fact that the cast feels lacking in individual distinction. In the attempts to bring up some of the characters forgotten last season like Rin and Hanayo this second season turned its back pretty heavily on Kotori and Umi.
I can understand feeling that it was manipulative and derivative, but it's not that bad. lol

Theonik

Guys quick what should I watch?

*some restrictions do apply*
There is something you can do!

Now I feel some motivation to try out more Gundam stuff.
Sadly the Gundam series doesn't really get anything this good elsewhere. The good things to watch however are 08th MS, G Gundam, Gundam Build Fighters, and Turn A Gundam. Which are all largely tonally different from 0080 of course but all feature different kinds of 'cool' to feast on.

G Gundam is kind of Super Robot.

All the eyecatches in TTGL were drawn by Imaishi as an FYI.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 11

Right, after the viewing of this episode I can safely say whomever though having the first 8 or so episode be about Sailor Moon as a single should be flogged, those episodes sucked this is where the legend really begins. Seriously, like everything has improved 100 percent with the arrival of Rei and Ami and this show is not actually good and watchable and entertaining. This episode highlights one the most famous/infamous dynamics of the Inner Scouts; the great Rei and Usagi rivalry. Indeed the rivalry is fierce, maybe a little too fierce upon reflection. Mind you I think the dynamic works well, though its consistences can get a little tiring at times. Anyway, my point is Rei and Usagi in a different show would be full on rivals, like some point Rei would have a heel turn just because she is that much of a rival. Thankfully this isn't Naruto and so that line is never crossed. The main plot is nothing special, another Jadeite dartboard special, though with some subtle tweaks in the fact that he is actually targeting the scouts. Anyway, this episode gets high recommendation with the caveat of warning that the rivalry may not be your brand of tea.

Pooya

Talking of SAOII, when does one post an anime OT? A week before the first episode?

For new series usually after first episode is out but this isn't a new series obviously, so dunno.

Anyway, if you're in need of a title I suggest "two years worth of anticipation!"

Now for my watchbet with Mike. I haven't posted many anime impressions so I'm a bit of a newbie at this but here it goes.

Kanon 01

Knowing nothing about this anime other than Uguu~, I'm going in completely blind. Yuuichi waits for two hours in the freezing snow for his cousin to come pick him up. You'd think he would go find somewhere to wait inside with a window looking out to where they are supposed to meet. His cousin is a bit of an airhead and says that he'll be living in this city forever, kinda creepy. While out shopping we meet Uguu girl and the Uguu just doesn't stop. Yuuichi seems like an okay enough guy as he pays for her food after just meeting her while making some sarcastic comments about her right to her face. I like him already.

I may need to make an Uguu counter for each episode...

EDIT: I went back to rewatch her introduction, 17x Uguu~ first episode.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For new series usually after first episode is out but this isn't a new series obviously, so dunno.

Anyway, if you're in need of a title I suggest "two years worth of anticipation!"

Already planned to use that title. It can't be bettered. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I'm massively LTTP on this, but Vice did a documentary thing with the guy who took pictures of otaku girl rooms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIeB8caPjoA

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/02/...l-habitats-of-female-japanese-otaku-【photos】/

It's where that crazy Persona 4 room is from, but I can't find the picture anymore. Here's the only one I could find:
2IleMf2l.jpg

Also, I guess this is the room of the new girl from SAO2. :p
W5i1Eljl.jpg

This is a girl who is in love with moe girls and puts posters of them everywhere so that, well, she explains it:
bOYPUJLl.png

Like all the Vice Japan docs, they don't really judge and more just show a particular odd subculture. But making a living taking pictures of nerd girls in their nerd rooms? Why not. lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A cheaper solution to that last girls problem is a mirror. Of course this does have the slight draw back that it could lead to narcissism.

Also I think that second picture sports the same Dell computer I'm currently using in the office. Also she needs to take that plastic off!

One Week Friends - 11

Drama is coming full circle, wondering how it will all be wrapped up in the next. I do have to say though, the
Shogo/Saki romance is cute.

Now I do wonder what's with all the negativity that has surfaced on this show during the past few episodes/weeks. Is it because the amnesia factor of the show? Mind you the amnesia factor is signified in its very title, to expect it not to be prevalent is ignorance at best, hell this show has done an excellent job in keeping said amnesia factor in check as it was for the most part a minor background factor for the majority of the episodes and not rely on it for the entire character develpment process.

Personally I find that people are still pissed off the fail amnesia story that was Golden Time, which is understandable. But damn don't get pissed off at another show just because a previous one made you sour.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I always read High school DxD as High school DnD and think its a show about a dungeons and dragons club. I can't comment further on this as I have never played DnD.

holysan

Love Live S2 #11

OCamVOI.png

I was prepared for this and it still got me. Oh god Nico, at least for once please, pretend to be dumb and fail you exams. I don’t want this show without you.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 12

So we hit the penultimate episode of the Jadeite Arc and indeed one thing I really liked about this episode was the the monster of the week, Tetiz, was actually important to the overarching story.
Instead of being one of Jadeite's useless minions, Tetiz, is a direct servant of Queen Beryl who actually has her own ambitions namely claim Jadeite as a lover and her downfall is the facilitator to the final confrontation that will transpire next week.
Anyway, outside of that, this episode was just odd mainly because Sailor Moon really never did with a couple of exceptions know what to do with romantic entanglements. Also, this is one of those shows that wants me to believe that somebody like Rei would have a hard time getting a date. Indeed if this were a more modern series Ami and Rei probably would have had a romantic type date. That is more a critique on the magical girl status then anything else. Anyway, once again high recommendation to watch this one.

Jintor

I always read High school DxD as High school DnD and think its a show about a dungeons and dragons club. I can't comment further on this as I have never played DnD.

I made the same mistake for a while

An anime about a bunch of kids playing DnD would be pretty cool.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can't really joke about these rooms since mine is very similar. I mean I have a door, a window, some drawers and even a bed. A lot in common.

Defuser

And here I always thought hardcore otaku fujyoshis are butt ugly girls.

edit:

Damn that girl has almost nothing but anime girls posters/figurines. :sdburton

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Love Live S2 #11

http://i.imgur.com/OCamVOI.png

I was prepared for this and it still got me. Oh god Nico, at least for once please, pretend to be dumb and fail you exams. I don’t want this show without you.
I see that you subtly edited the subtitle. :p

And here I always thought hardcore otaku fujyoshis are butt ugly girls.

edit:

Damn that girl has almost nothing but anime girls posters. :sdburton?
She likes moe girls. lol

Now for my watchbet with Mike. I haven't posted many anime impressions so I'm a bit of a newbie at this but here it goes.

Kanon 01

I may need to make an Uguu counter for each episode...

EDIT: I went back to rewatch her introduction, 17x Uguu~ first episode.

Yay!

Watch out so you don't hurt yourself counting :p

ibahXT0nUQeOPp.gif

fertygo

Love Live S2 - 11

Dem feels etc, but not really like always I can never take this show attempt at meloodrama, despite I actually love the build-up and more subtle aspect like Yukiho and Arisa part about want to joining muse its just as good as Honoka's chattering with A-rise member on last eps, the drama goals and conclusion also great.. but man all of these crying lol.

Its still massive improvement over S1 though, its still manufactured as hell but at least they did a lot better at constructing it.

jgminto

The End of Evangelion

So I'm pretty sure I understood most of that...kinda. It certainly put the last two episodes of the show into a better context. The only scenes I didn't really "get" were the
live action scenes of cinemas and other various EVA related and non-EVA related things.
Was that supposed to mean something? Because the only meaning I could think of was to pad out the second half of the movie. This movie also made me feel pretty uncomfortable. I'm certainly no stranger to violence and gore and I can watch something like Blood-C and just laugh my ass off, but scenes of
the soldiers gunning down NERV employees and Unit-02 being torn apart
really got to me. Perhaps it's the reality of the world and characters, they have a weight to them that most shows and film don't. Much like the TV show, the characters don't act how you'd want or expect them to. Shinji
doesn't man up and become the shonen hero, he continues to cripple from the fear and pain around him and it costs him dearly
and Gendo
doesn't grow to bond with his son as he fights. He continues to use him and everyone else to move towards his selfish goal of reuniting with his wife, not caring about anyone he destroys on that path,
I could go on for the majority of the cast. It's character flaws like this that birth interesting narratives. The visual and audio design were obviously top notch, some truly amazing shots and musical arrangement.
The scenes of the massive Rei/Lilith
were all stunning and I suppose if someone came to this movie for action they wouldn't be disappointed by the Unit-02 scenes, they were wonderfully animated. It's a shame that they decided to go with CG for the Rebuild films. CG can still be artistic of course but much like the replacement of practical props and effects with CG in film, it can't really be appreciated on a technical level. Though I guess that's far from the only problem with the Rebuild movies either. Still interested in checking them out.

Saint Seiya (1986) 16

Considering I know who Athena is and that there are more than 1 Gold Cloths (yay hindsight!), this exposition isn't exactly accurate. You can tell Toei phoned it in. Also... why does the Pope look so demonic?

Bodacious Space Pirates 09-13

The Serenity plotline was kind of interesting, but I'm more interested in what's coming next, since I think Marika is going recruiting for her crew next. Why she doesn't just ask her friends in the yacht club, I've no idea.

Fairy Tale 02-10

FAIRY, WHERE ARE YOU GOING?

This probably has one of the most catchy OPs I've heard in a while. I'm enjoying the show a-plenty, but as it stands Lucy is probably the least useful mage in the guild (that I've seen).

Usagi Drop 07-11

This show was a treat. Very pleasant and soothing and I'm happy they ended on that note. (
And yes, I know what happens in the manga.
)

Watamote 04-05

And finally picking this show back up... It's as awkward as ever.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I can understand feeling that it was manipulative and derivative, but it's not that bad. lol
I'm failing to see the part of it that's even remotely okay. This episode was completely lacking in anything humorous, and the melodrama is just blunt, painful, and over the top as the show continues to dull its characters into bland and ambitionless idols who lack distinct personalities.

I mean does this emotional climax even make sense? Are these girls graduating to the moon or do they hit some sort of idol expiration date the moment that last school bell rings? Muse is just a music group that could easily continue to operate outside of the umbrella of their high school.

/XX/

Goal tomorrow is to get all caught up. Still crazy how good this is compared to everything else. So neat to see why the earlier butterlfy imagery was used as well.
Since we're so often spoon-fed symbolism in anime, it was almost weird to have that cool revelation made later to be enjoyed in retrospect. I dug that.
Yeah, very appropriate and nice to veil it until a later episode for the spectator to make the connection because it goes very well in line with the faint longing Butterfly Joe feels, and without the excessive amount of bitter resentment we maybe are accustomed to see at times in other works using that character archetype. It wasn't brought as a shocker in the same way (in a parallelism) how he transitioned peacefully into his teacher/manager life.

And to keep talking of PING PONG THE ANIMATION; blauereiter shows us the special feature about the series that monthly Japanese magazine Switch dedicated to it on the April issue:

Halcyon Realms – Animation.Film.Photography and Art Book Reviews » » Ping Pong The Animation – Switch Magazine Special Book Review
http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/animation/ping-pong-the-animation-switch-magazine-special-book-review/

Hmm, those watercolour image-boards would make for beautiful scans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom