• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

And here I thought that after mentioning Hanasaku Iroha earlier someone would have brought up that 'Pohana' image by now. Seems like some traditions are now long gone... :-(

Sailor Moon 11

5b6vBJ9.jpg

Usagi and Rei sure argue a lot.

Haha, it's not that, it's the whole OMG NANOHA HAS SPACESHIPS AND SHIT.

It wasn't just the fact that there were spaceships involved.

It was the whole scenario of it all that I liked. The show goes from Nanoha fighting Fate one-on-one to suddenly introducing these time-space travellers which were essentially a human magical military.

Nanoha may have only been the second magical girl anime that I watched all the way through, but I just enjoyed the whole sci-fi elements of it. I didn't expect that seeing it for the first time and I really enjoyed it.

And I didn't enjoy the second season from that alone. I enjoyed it because it had a really interesting conflict. The conflict of the first season? I could see where that was going. The conflict of the second season? I had no idea where it was all going to end up. And with everything set up in the first season on top of that, I was genuinely invested in what was going to happen. It's not the greatest show I've ever seen, but it was certainly fun.

Though like I said, Nanoha was only the second magical girl show that I watched, so maybe this Pretty Sammy thing did it better, I don't know.

Also, everybody compares Nanoha to Gundam.

fertygo

I'm failing to see the part of it that's even remotely okay. This episode was completely lacking in anything humorous, and the melodrama is just blunt, painful, and over the top as the show continues to dull its characters into bland and ambitionless idols who lack distinct personalities.

I mean does this emotional climax even make sense? Are these girls graduating to the moon or do they hit some sort of idol expiration date the moment that last school bell rings? Muse is just a music group that could easily continue to operate outside of the umbrella of their high school

Dude, its like asking why the hell people crying in school/college graduation? we still meet again!

The drama is dumb but come on.

Chariot

Love Live! S2 11

Arisa is so cute in her enthusiasm.
But after recently watching iDOLM@STER the drama in Love Live becomes even weirder. It's just so... trivial, stuff that can easily be solved and people still make a far too big deal about. I also don't like if everyone in a scene are crying. It just feels weird.
And whats with all this Muse Franchise (BDs with special featues!?) the girls know nothing about. They seriously need some kind of manager.

But at least we have now the next best thing to twirly moustache Nozomi.

j7COJRrIGJemw.png

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
God I am so behind on stuff.

Acchi Kocchi 4

Too goddamn adorable. TOO GODDAMN ADORABLE. It really looks amazing, the character designs, the faces (oh my god the faces THE FACES), the animation, the art direction. It just looks so good. Io's such a baller.

Also the ED has this in it:

43tbDpG.gif

everytime...my...heart...help me...

She is simply hnnnnngtastic. I feel the same way dude. :)

Joe Molotov

Ultimate Girls 04

Uhhhhh......

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

So, they go to a cosplay cafe and then fight a giant rapey doctor. I'd post some screenshots, but I'm not sure if I could find any that would be allowed.

Majin Bone had the issue where these people from different cultures come into Japan and they already know for the most part how shit works culturally and don't show any culture from their country. Why even make them from different nations?

cajunator

Banned
Guys quick what should I watch?

*some restrictions do apply*

I agree with Nanoha if you can hanndle the occasional lolistuff.
Or maybe you can watch Simoun.

Gendo Ikari isn't that bad...

1987.jpg

What a great father. Gives his son everything. His only caveat is his genes somehow created the biggest coward in the world.

The first episode has this as the ED song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NTehMeCXCw

Ah yes I recall that and also not being overly fond of it.

Miyukichi Art Online
Sword Art Legs
Miyukichi Legs Miyukichi

FUCK ME.

We will brave this new challenge together for Miyukichi and short blue hairs sake.

Well that's what it felt like. The one-on-one fights, the weapons, the giant laser beams, etc.

Nanoha has a
a freakin' spaceship with a commander.
. Just like some Gundam shows. (or any other sci-fi on that matter)

And even more on the Super Robot point... *somewhat NSFW*

It is. Something indeed awesome happens in it. =D

Nanoha definitely feels more mecha at times the way it does things and stuff transforms. Its a really interesting dynamic. At this point the show is so dearly priced Im afraid to play my own discs.

back again, hows anime going?

im sad that i've like dropped like half the shows i commited this season :/

its pretty much just hxh, baseball, tennis, rabbit cafe, mangaka assistant, nanana, no game no loli.

what are the must watches i've missed?

does 1 week friend get any better? They keep on adding more cast and i got bored.

Youre still watching some good ones but I recommend chaika also. It has been a lot of fun.

is chaika a good anime or just a cute moe moe with shit story.

The story isnt shit at all. It has plenty of cuties too. Its a fun adventure fantasy similar to Scrapped Princess.

That's a pretty big accusation. I remember loving and nurturing this community. I tried my best, sorry if that wasn't good enough.

Welcome back Tomat! You can escape forever :)

It has to happen! They need their own graduation arc! lol

---

Atelier suddenly turned into Kaze Tachinu:
dx97ndFl.jpg

I'm still enjoying this as an adventure series... really tempted to break out the game. lol

---

Flag Time 11
DbXK7PZl.jpg

Wideface flags!

I won't talk too much about this episode, because it's not "out" and it's weird... but suddenly they turned it into
The Matrix
. lol

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

God I am so behind on stuff.

Acchi Kocchi 4

Too goddamn adorable. TOO GODDAMN ADORABLE. It really looks amazing, the character designs, the faces (oh my god the faces THE FACES), the animation, the art direction. It just looks so good. Io's such a baller.

Also the ED has this in it:

43tbDpG.gif

everytime...my...heart...help me...

Oh, who do we have here?
Another Pitz and Hana duo? Hmmmm.

Tsumiki will devour your heart with diabetes and give your cavities cavities. This show is one of my valued possessions.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 11

Right, after the viewing of this episode I can safely say whomever though having the first 8 or so episode be about Sailor Moon as a single should be flogged, those episodes sucked this is where the legend really begins. Seriously, like everything has improved 100 percent with the arrival of Rei and Ami and this show is not actually good and watchable and entertaining. This episode highlights one the most famous/infamous dynamics of the Inner Scouts; the great Rei and Usagi rivalry. Indeed the rivalry is fierce, maybe a little too fierce upon reflection. Mind you I think the dynamic works well, though its consistences can get a little tiring at times. Anyway, my point is Rei and Usagi in a different show would be full on rivals, like some point Rei would have a heel turn just because she is that much of a rival. Thankfully this isn't Naruto and so that line is never crossed. The main plot is nothing special, another Jadeite dartboard special, though with some subtle tweaks in the fact that he is actually targeting the scouts. Anyway, this episode gets high recommendation with the caveat of warning that the rivalry may not be your brand of tea.

The dynamic improved tenfold when others joined in. the first Usagi only episodes were insufferable.

I guess I'm massively LTTP on this, but Vice did a documentary thing with the guy who took pictures of otaku girl rooms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIeB8caPjoA

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/02/...l-habitats-of-female-japanese-otaku-【photos】/

It's where that crazy Persona 4 room is from, but I can't find the picture anymore. Here's the only one I could find:
2IleMf2l.jpg

Also, I guess this is the room of the new girl from SAO2. :p
W5i1Eljl.jpg

This is a girl who is in love with moe girls and puts posters of them everywhere so that, well, she explains it:
bOYPUJLl.png

Like all the Vice Japan docs, they don't really judge and more just show a particular odd subculture. But making a living taking pictures of nerd girls in their nerd rooms? Why not. lol

These rooms look so comfy. Similar to mine but more cramped maybe.

Aw yiss, hopefully Gochiusa gets an Ume-sensei endcard too.

FUCK YES.

Oh god Zachy I wouldnt survive that

Saint Seiya (1986) 16

Considering I know who Athena is and that there are more than 1 Gold Cloths (yay hindsight!), this exposition isn't exactly accurate. You can tell Toei phoned it in. Also... why does the Pope look so demonic?

Bodacious Space Pirates 09-13

The Serenity plotline was kind of interesting, but I'm more interested in what's coming next, since I think Marika is going recruiting for her crew next. Why she doesn't just ask her friends in the yacht club, I've no idea.

Fairy Tale 02-10

FAIRY, WHERE ARE YOU GOING?

This probably has one of the most catchy OPs I've heard in a while. I'm enjoying the show a-plenty, but as it stands Lucy is probably the least useful mage in the guild (that I've seen).

Usagi Drop 07-11

This show was a treat. Very pleasant and soothing and I'm happy they ended on that note. (
And yes, I know what happens in the manga.
)

Watamote 04-05

And finally picking this show back up... It's as awkward as ever.

Watching a fine variety here. Very good indeed!

Majin Bone had the issue where these people from different cultures come into Japan and they already know for the most part how shit works culturally and don't show any culture from their country. Why even make them from different nations?

What do you mean, its told us lots about Australia? Luke is Australian and showed that Australians dig up clams on the beach as their pastime. And that most Australians believe that Ayres rock is an ufo landing ground.
tumblr_n79pd7cdgx1qbxqfpo1_500.png

What do you mean, its told us lots about Australia? Luke is Australian and showed that Australians dig up clams on the beach as their pastime. And that most Australians believe that Ayres rock is an ufo landing ground.
tumblr_n79pd7cdgx1qbxqfpo1_500.png
I mean that all of a sudden they know how to address each other and how to act and talk in Japan and what the candy is and what it's good with and spoke Japanese perfectly. Like the Brazilian guy should be the one with the biggest cultural clash and the only reason we know he's Brazilian is because he's always dancing and does capoeira. Saying "in my country we collect sea shells down by the sea shore" does not make up for the fact these characters are supposed to be foreign. Heck they already know to add the kun and the san when talking and don't forget.

I mean I'm not asking for a Texan character who rides a horse and ears barbq and comes to Japan to look for oil. But would that be too much to ask for?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dude, its like asking why the hell people crying in school/college graduation? we still meet again!

The drama is dumb but come on.
Culturally, there's probably a significant difference between graduating from a high school in Tokyo and (in all likelihood) moving on to college within the same city compared to how things work in America, where people can easily be pulled hundreds of miles away to find the appropriate school.

Also, they're not even actually graduating yet. This episode was more about what would happen to Muse as a group than the third years leaving. Love Live is missing an emotional peak or focal point so there's just this uncomfortable crying for five+ minutes without an explicit prompt. It's gross and creepy.

Clov

ЯAW

Banned
Are there any directors similar to Mamoru Oshii? I have been on Patlabor kick lately and I just realised how much I like his work. It got me wondering if anyone is directing movies like Oshii used to.

Syrinx

I was obviously expecting stupid with Strike Witches. I wasn't really expecting it to be so boring though, and I definitely wasn't expecting to nearly roll my eyes out of my head as a girl tells an adult commander not to apologize, for it was herself that was selfish, not the woman who was lying to a young girl and giving her false hope that her father may still be alive in order to recruit her into her military unit. And then watch her cry at her father's grave while still not wearing pants, leaving me wondering what emotion this show was trying to elicit from me.

Chariot

I was obviously expecting stupid with Strike Witches. I wasn't really expecting it to be so boring though, and I definitely wasn't expecting to nearly roll my eyes out of my head as a girl tells an adult commander not to apologize, for it was herself that was selfish, not the woman who was lying to a young girl and giving her false hope that her father may still be alive in order to recruit her into her military unit. And then watch her cry at her father's grave while still not wearing pants, leaving me wondering what emotion this show was trying to elicit from me.
Don't be bothered by the pants. It seems like it isn't allowed for woman to wear pants in this world. And I think they're actually wearing pants that looks like underpants and are just in commando under them. Also there will be more "dramatic" moments where the camera rather looks at butts than anything else.
But the fun is certainly in the interactions of the witches. And if you can make it to the second season: it literally kills the plot of the first season and then proceds with the mindless fun.

Clov

ЯAW;116813816 said:
Are there any directors similar to Mamoru Oshii? I have been on Patlabor kick lately and I just realised how much I like his work. It got me wondering if anyone is directing movies like Oshii used to.

I don't think there's anyone in the anime industry similar to him. If you want something Oshii-esque, you can watch Jin-Roh. Oshii wrote it, but he didn't direct it.

Of course I'd also recommend watching any of his work that you haven't seen yet. It might not be a popular choice, but personally I love Angel's Egg the best out of his films. The atmosphere and the imagery are incredible.

fertygo

Culturally, there's probably a significant difference between graduating from a high school in Tokyo and (in all likelihood) moving on to college within the same city compared to how things work in America, where people can easily be pulled hundreds of miles away to find the appropriate school.

Also, they're not even actually graduating yet. This episode was more about what would happen to Muse as a group than the third years leaving. Love Live is missing an emotional peak or focal point so there's just this uncomfortable crying for five+ minutes without an explicit prompt. It's gross and creepy.

Even the girl admitting they overthinking it too much, there's nothing weird about feeling emotional about dispart with your friend/group even if the deadline isn't there yet, heck knowing there's some sort of deadline just make it more justified for feeling emotional over it. Let just say they failed to make noteworthy scene of it and not confused to why buncha teenager crying their playtime is over.

ЯAW

Banned
I don't think there's anyone in the anime industry similar to him. If you want something Oshii-esque, you can watch Jin-Roh. Oshii wrote it, but he didn't direct it.

Of course I'd also recommend watching any of his work that you haven't seen yet. It might not be a popular choice, but personally I love Angel's Egg the best out of his films. The atmosphere and the imagery are incredible.
Seen all of Oshii's work and Jin-Roh. It really does seems like Oshii is one of a kind director when it comes to anime.

sonicmj1

No Game No Life 1-2

I was kind of curious about this so I gave it a shot.

The setup in episode 1 is thoroughly, thoroughly ridiculous. When our godlike leads at the start beat 1200 players (some of whom are cheating) in an action-MMO while double-boxing at 30% of max level, it's immediately clear that they're not people. Which is usually a turn-off for me.

But what makes this a lot more fun than something like Mahouka is how the show revels in its absurdity, which comes across more clearly in the second episode. There's no pretense that anything happening here is serious, or that our leads are more than cartoons who happen to be incredibly well-suited to this almost comically specific world and its rules. Its willingness to get silly and over-the-top, particularly with its humor, makes it a lot easier for me to sit back, turn my brain off, and enjoy the ride. The whole aftermath of that initial handicap RPS bet had so much potential to turn really uncomfortable, but it was self-deprecating enough that I couldn't feel bad about it. Even the hyper-saturated color palette is over-the-top in a way that works without being garish.

I'd like to watch more next time I'm in the mood for something dumb.

Theonik

This disappears for 90% of the rest of the show.
Also the ARE pants.

/XX/

Kiripony>Pohana
Hey, Jarmel, I wanted to say to you thanks for giving us that information (that I missed in a previous post) about your visit to AnimeNEXT (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116275262&postcount=3709).

Did you have the opportunity of seeing that new Inferno Cop key visual Mr. Wakabayashi unveiled at their TRIGGER Inc., presentation for the event? Even if in the end it didn't confirm anything about a second season, people said it was a really cool illustration!

wait, there is a story in Strike Witches?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The End of Evangelion

So I'm pretty sure I understood most of that...kinda. It certainly put the last two episodes of the show into a better context. The only scenes I didn't really "get" were the
live action scenes of cinemas and other various EVA related and non-EVA related things.
Was that supposed to mean something? Because the only meaning I could think of was to pad out the second half of the movie. This movie also made me feel pretty uncomfortable. I'm certainly no stranger to violence and gore and I can watch something like Blood-C and just laugh my ass off, but scenes of
the soldiers gunning down NERV employees and Unit-02 being torn apart
really got to me. Perhaps it's the reality of the world and characters, they have a weight to them that most shows and film don't. Much like the TV show, the characters don't act how you'd want or expect them to. Shinji
doesn't man up and become the shonen hero, he continues to cripple from the fear and pain around him and it costs him dearly
and Gendo
doesn't grow to bond with his son as he fights. He continues to use him and everyone else to move towards his selfish goal of reuniting with his wife, not caring about anyone he destroys on that path,
I could go on for the majority of the cast. It's character flaws like this that birth interesting narratives. The visual and audio design were obviously top notch, some truly amazing shots and musical arrangement.
The scenes of the massive Rei/Lilith
were all stunning and I suppose if someone came to this movie for action they wouldn't be disappointed by the Unit-02 scenes, they were wonderfully animated. It's a shame that they decided to go with CG for the Rebuild films. CG can still be artistic of course but much like the replacement of practical props and effects with CG in film, it can't really be appreciated on a technical level. Though I guess that's far from the only problem with the Rebuild movies either. Still interested in checking them out.
The best part of this movie is still the big middle finger at the beginning of the movie.

I'm failing to see the part of it that's even remotely okay. This episode was completely lacking in anything humorous, and the melodrama is just blunt, painful, and over the top as the show continues to dull its characters into bland and ambitionless idols who lack distinct personalities.

I mean does this emotional climax even make sense? Are these girls graduating to the moon or do they hit some sort of idol expiration date the moment that last school bell rings? Muse is just a music group that could easily continue to operate outside of the umbrella of their high school.
I mean, the premise of the show, however silly, is that these groups are only for high school girls. So by that virtue, the group has to end. I assume this is an evil world where idols are consumed when they're young, since there are always new high school girls to fill the void left by the old!

One Week Friends

The manga is published by Square Enix, what?
They're a multimedia company!

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

5KTg6KV.png

This is an euphemism for sex and NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.

Some comments of someone who read the manga and just watched the anime later :

Overall is a very decent adaption, knowing they had to modify stuff and cut a fair bait. It looks very nice on occasions, the direction is somewhat competent, and in the most important scenes it raised to meet the demands to a better level. The comedy parts are well done, I laughed even knowing several of the jokes before hand. The music in most of the series is subtle and it won't overtake the scene, but there are a few moments where it's the other way around and a haunting piece of flute, violin or piano really under-streak the moment perfectly.
Of course, as the anime started without the manga finished, it isn't the same once it it reaches the half point. At first it seems to follow the plot in a more summarized way but near the end there are more important changes.
I also liked the first episode, different to the manga, smartly showing first how it's all seen from a more normal point of view, from Okonogi view (the one she can't see Yuuko), and then it repeats the same watching from Teichii pov and we can say "ohh! that's what happened!". The manga was much more straightforward.
Some more comments:

-Yuuko not seeing Teichii as he was the ghost when he learns the truth about her past was an interesting novel twist different to the manga.
-A nice new scene was both of them communicating through the notebook, and it's used with great effect at the end. In fact the end where she "goes to Heaven" and they have to deal with it is really emotional, the high point of the series, better than in the manga.
It has the same end as the manga and she comes back again, but in a way it's even "worse" or at least more tone jarring because they got a really well done sad end until that moment.
-How she comes back it's a bit more elaborated in the manga, I liked Teichii creating a elaborate 7th mystery, the one that was missing, to somehow get her back, while being desperate in his grieving.
-The direction makes the sacrifice scene more intense, as Teichi not only watches it but lives it through her (and the spectator with him)

But the setup of the flashback and sacrifice has been messed up:
-Sister sacrifice knowing what she has done in the manga > little kid who just named her because it heard her voice
In fact all the grandmother subplot was better done in the manga, it rounded off very well the mystery of what it really happened with some hard drama and how she lived all her life regretting it.
-The detail of the father and their family being part of the old priests and lords of the area helped focus the sacrifice in the two sisters.
-All the episodic stories before in the manga served to build the notion of fear in the human mind, how toxic, contagious can be, how the fear of the unknown can be powerful, how irrational can people be with it, etc. It all served as an explanation of Yuuko's flashback, of how people were capable of doing something as horrible as sacrificing her. In the anime it just happens.

cajunator

Banned

I missed that. glad yall brought it back!

Ultimate Girls 04

Uhhhhh......

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

So, they go to a cosplay cafe and then fight a giant rapey doctor. I'd post some screenshots, but I'm not sure if I could find any that would be allowed.

Ask envelope, he has allll the screenshots.

awww :( *hugs Zachy

*heart restarts from last night* ...yeah...the whole cast is great...but Tsumiki is something else...

She gnaws at my heart like she does on Io's head. *goes back into cardiac arrest*

H-hnnnnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

It gets better! Narag will vouch.

Its Cajun approved!

No Game No Life 1-2

I was kind of curious about this so I gave it a shot.

The setup in episode 1 is thoroughly, thoroughly ridiculous. When our godlike leads at the start beat 1200 players (some of whom are cheating) in an action-MMO while double-boxing at 30% of max level, it's immediately clear that they're not people. Which is usually a turn-off for me.

But what makes this a lot more fun than something like Mahouka is how the show revels in its absurdity, which comes across more clearly in the second episode. There's no pretense that anything happening here is serious, or that our leads are more than cartoons who happen to be incredibly well-suited to this almost comically specific world and its rules. Its willingness to get silly and over-the-top, particularly with its humor, makes it a lot easier for me to sit back, turn my brain off, and enjoy the ride. The whole aftermath of that initial handicap RPS bet had so much potential to turn really uncomfortable, but it was self-deprecating enough that I couldn't feel bad about it. Even the hyper-saturated color palette is over-the-top in a way that works without being garish.

I'd like to watch more next time I'm in the mood for something dumb.

Just wait until the
chess
game

Now for my watchbet with Mike. I haven't posted many anime impressions so I'm a bit of a newbie at this but here it goes.

Kanon 01

Knowing nothing about this anime other than Uguu~, I'm going in completely blind. Yuuichi waits for two hours in the freezing snow for his cousin to come pick him up. You'd think he would go find somewhere to wait inside with a window looking out to where they are supposed to meet. His cousin is a bit of an airhead and says that he'll be living in this city forever, kinda creepy. While out shopping we meet Uguu girl and the Uguu just doesn't stop. Yuuichi seems like an okay enough guy as he pays for her food after just meeting her while making some sarcastic comments about her right to her face. I like him already.

I may need to make an Uguu counter for each episode...

EDIT: I went back to rewatch her introduction, 17x Uguu~ first episode.

You should keep a running Uguu counter for the whole show. I'd be interested what it turns out to be ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom