• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Now for my watchbet with Mike. I haven't posted many anime impressions so I'm a bit of a newbie at this but here it goes.

Kanon 01

Knowing nothing about this anime other than Uguu~, I'm going in completely blind. Yuuichi waits for two hours in the freezing snow for his cousin to come pick him up. You'd think he would go find somewhere to wait inside with a window looking out to where they are supposed to meet. His cousin is a bit of an airhead and says that he'll be living in this city forever, kinda creepy. While out shopping we meet Uguu girl and the Uguu just doesn't stop. Yuuichi seems like an okay enough guy as he pays for her food after just meeting her while making some sarcastic comments about her right to her face. I like him already.

I may need to make an Uguu counter for each episode...

EDIT: I went back to rewatch her introduction, 17x Uguu~ first episode.

Yuuichi's a pretty cool dude. He
helps girls he kinda remembers
and doesn't afraid of anything.

Actually, for all the shit KEY shows get, I do really love their likable but snarky male protagonists. Tomoya, Yuuichi, and Yukito are all like that, I feel.

You should keep a running Uguu counter for the whole show. I'd be interested what it turns out to be ;).

I think it actually slows down towards the end, but it's a lot.

sonicmj1

Just wait until the
chess
game

Since there's no reason to make that post unless I'm supposed to read the spoiler tag, and since I'm not far enough into the series to be engaged in an actual plot spoiler discussion, I have no idea why the tag is there.

cajunator

Banned
Since there's no reason to make that post unless I'm supposed to read the spoiler tag, and since I'm not far enough into the series to be engaged in an actual plot spoiler discussion, I have no idea why the tag is there.

semantics. Im just gonna say it gets way better really soon.

Theonik

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood 03-09
So after the Father's Day discussion last night I thought I should watch more of this.
It's still weaker than the original for this stretch of episodes but still pretty good. The production quality keeps it together. Some spectacular cuts including what I thought was a short Shinya Ohira cut on episode 5 which I didn't expect.
Knowing the previous show also helps as I'm familiar with some things and also the impact of rushing this content is somewhat dampened though it still feels iffy.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood 10
It's raining.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood 11-13
Yeah this is still feeling too fast and that even kinda applies in the last episode a tad but it seems it's settling now. Also some mood whiplash with the comic relief on otherwise very tense places. That's intentional though.

Taruranto

Never did understand Pohana image. What was the point of it or why was it created in the first place?

chldJgb.gif

Love Live S2 Ep11

I'm feeling a bit of melancholy as Love Live reaches it's end. I'm going to the miss the love live crew. Nico tries to be strong but breaks down like the rest. I blame Hanayo, she always starts it.

Gx57Otu.gif

Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara 11
The idol girl was cute but,
This turning into the Matrix is too damn weird. It just doesn't feel right

I guess I'm massively LTTP on this, but Vice did a documentary thing with the guy who took pictures of otaku girl rooms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIeB8caPjoA

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/02/...l-habitats-of-female-japanese-otaku-【photos】/

It's where that crazy Persona 4 room is from, but I can't find the picture anymore. Here's the only one I could find:
2IleMf2l.jpg

Also, I guess this is the room of the new girl from SAO2. :p
W5i1Eljl.jpg

This is a girl who is in love with moe girls and puts posters of them everywhere so that, well, she explains it:
bOYPUJLl.png

Like all the Vice Japan docs, they don't really judge and more just show a particular odd subculture. But making a living taking pictures of nerd girls in their nerd rooms? Why not. lol

Even girl otakus have mostly yuri stuff in their rooms. Kinda weird. Would have expected some DTL posters and figures.

You should keep a running Uguu counter for the whole show. I'd be interested what it turns out to be ;).

The Uguu CD I got has 86 at least.

Oh, and:
http://uguu.dx.am

Yuuichi's a pretty cool dude. He
helps girls he kinda remembers
and doesn't afraid of anything.

Actually, for all the shit KEY shows get, I do really love their likable but snarky male protagonists. Tomoya, Yuuichi, and Yukito are all like that, I feel.

Yuuichi was the funniest I thought. Yukito wasn't that good, but I guess that's because he got the least amount of screen time...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yuuichi was the funniest I thought. Yukito wasn't that good, but I guess that's because he got the least amount of screen time...

Yukito
/Ryuya (his ancient Japan ancestor)
wasn't bad, but he definitely has all the same traits, snarky and cynical but kindhearted and wellmeaning. One of Air's issues I feel is that
it wants Misuzu to be the main protagonist but inadvertently kinda sets Yukito up as they cut his time short.

Tomoya has to be my favorite though. Master prankster. Loki would be proud.

Yukito
wasn't bad, but he definitely has all the same traits, snarky and cynical but kindhearted and wellmeaning. One of Air's issues I feel is that
it wants Misuzu to be the main protagonist but inadvertently kinda sets Yukito up as they cut his time short.

I actually like
Ryuya
more than Yukito. Especially after watching Air in the Summer.

I like Yuuichi the most, but I guess that shouldn't be a huge surprise :p

Yukito

Tomoya is my favorite too. He is one of the best characters in Clannad. Master prankster and has a heart of gold. :,)

jbug617

Banned
This is a box quote.

"Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero definetely made me feel uncomfortable"

I don't think that's suppose to be a positive quote

jman2050

Yukito

Tomoya is a pretty cool dude
even though he picked the wrong girl

Mokoi

Banned
Ping Pong 8

Kong might be my favorite part of this show. Love that growth he's experienced as he's elevated his teammates.

He is my favorite character from the show. It was really nice seeing him change from having a cold attitude against his teammates to helping them get better.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I actually like
Ryuya
more than Yukito. Especially after watching Air in the Summer.

I like Yuuichi the most, but I guess that shouldn't be a huge surprise :p

I do too, actually, though having a hobo for a primary character was a nice change of pace.

Tomoya is a pretty cool dude
even though he picked the wrong girl

Here we go again
He chose correctly and you know it
;)

you know, like simpsons s2-8. you can just boot up a random gintama eps and have a good time whenever.

such a good show.

forgot crunchyroll had it all.

Was playing the prison case in AAI2, and randomly wanted to watch the prison break eps of gintama.

still so good.

This is a box quote.

"Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero definetely made me feel uncomfortable"

I don't think that's suppose to be a positive quote

How is it uncomfortable, its just plain disappointing. In that season, Champion was a bit uncomfortable, having to watch that aggressive kiss scene was just, its like those scenes in Strike the Blood.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ping Pong 8

Kong might be my favorite part of this show. Love that growth he's experienced as he's elevated his teammates.
Kong has more character in his 10 minutes of screen time than pretty much all sports shounen protagonists put together. lol

Even girl otakus have mostly yuri stuff in their rooms. Kinda weird. Would have expected some DTL posters and figures.
There are a lot of different rooms in the book, for what that's worth. That one girl really likes moe girls though. lol

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

http://i.imgur.com/5KTg6KV.png

This is an euphemism for sex and NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE.

Some comments of someone who read the manga and just watched the anime later :
You know, I went back and read the last few chapters of the manga. It was interesting how it turned out in the end, although I think I'm okay with the somewhat open ending.

im surprised i haven't dropped mahouka yet.

Theres just something fascinating about how the show is structured and how the 'characters' are portrayed.

It's like it was written by a robot that analyzed all anime/vn/ln tropes and characters and story structures, and spit out its own thing.

Everything just feels weirdly off. I wouldn't be surprised if this was some Matrix twist where half the characters are npcs.

cajunator

Banned

Theres just something fascinating about how the show is structured and how the 'characters' are portrayed.

It's like it was written by a robot that analyzed all anime/vn/ln tropes and characters and story structures, and spit out its own thing.

Everything just feels weirdly off. I wouldn't be surprised if this was some Matrix twist where half the characters are npcs.

Ill probably watch it after NGNL and black Bullet

TUSR

Banned

Ill probably watch it after NGNL and black Bullet

Its kind of in a slump right now, but overall its a decent show.

Honestly it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

I mean, it does have periods of stupidity and the like but from where it is right now it's far better than SAO was on episode 11 and I doubt it'll go so far down in quality like that did

But mainly I'm just following it for Onii-sama antics

yeah onii-sama is pretty hilarious with how broke ass he is, and at least they give some bullshit explanations.

I just wish there wasn't such a large supporting cast of people who the fuck gives a shit about.

like the random bathhouse scene from a few weeks ago, i had no clue who anyone was.

i guess the biggest surprise of the season is how much of a shounen fighter Nanana is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom