• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Fate/Zero 17:

That was like, a Resident Evil-esque blood spill there. This was basically "The Corruption of Kotomine Kirei" as far as episodes go. I'm actually enjoying this series more now that I've watched all of F/SN and am playing the VN, because now I can see what all of the allusions are. I'm the exact opposite of everyone here in that regard, I suppose; it's like I'm enjoying it more now BECAUSE I've been thoroughly spoiled.

More importantly, that's the best Miku avatar you've had.

Joule

Finally, a voice of reason! What have you been watching lately, Joule?
Just picking at the season whenever.

I'm not familiar with this Aroduc guy - I guess he's some sort of long-time celebrity in the Internet anime blogosphere or something - but if he genuinely hates pretty much all anime and all people in the anime industry yet continues to watch and comment about it at length, well, that's just sad.
I don't think he's a celebrity but I wouldn't know about anime blogosphere at large. I'm a little familiar with him from another forum and he is pretty consistent with himself. He can certainly give that impression to people though he does enjoy shows every so often (and sometimes it's a show I find good as well). I think he's an alright guy to be honest, just that his criticisms are a little too harsh I feel.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I guess that AnimeGAF is where people go when they're really opinionated but don't see the point in maintaining a blog.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Even if the Panty and Stocking dub isn't terrible I don't think anything can save a DVD only release. It's hard to imagine there's really a concern about reverse importation when the show was aired nearly two years ago.

Narag

Angel Beats 8

Not a fan of the revisiting elements in the show like they do such as Operation: Tornado or this ep where they traced their path to the Guild again. I think some of the backgrounds were the same too which gave it a cheap feeling. Resolution to the clone issue seems like it was going to take advantage of how much of a blank slate Angel was as well.

Not to mention a host of people talking about Gintama on a weekly basis while it was airing. Or the discussion of Saint Seiya Omega we've had this season. Or a wealth of other examples. Between ignoring that and his absurd, disparaging comment about "real shows", it's safe to say we have a committed troll on our hands.

It's Firemind. I can't tell whether he's an extremely dedicated troll, or if he really does believe all of this stuff.

Risette

A Good Citizen
He's never liked a noitamina show before or anything involving romance for that matter. The only romance show I recall he didn't actively dislike was Kimikiss for some reason. At least not until the end where it kind of fell apart. Oh, and Toradora too I suppose. Same reason.

He wrote about good shows such as GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class and liked it. He also wrote about good shows like Mawaru Penguindrum and didn't like it. You don't have to agree with it, and that's what makes discourse interesting, as opposed to indulging yourself with like-minded individuals for the purpose of self-gratification and validation that, yes, you're watching a good show and other people are liking it too.

Nothing against you guys, but if my only source of information regarding the new season were to come from this thread, everything would be swell, anime is saved, Shinbo is a genius. Also, the thread moves way too fast for me to keep up.
I think the problem is that blogger guy is a moron. I mean I think Mawaru Penguindrum is crap and Shinbo has been a hack since after the 90s but I'm not a moron. Maybe he should fix that.

I've read a few of his blogposts since I saw this and he has absolutely nothing of value to say. Distressing.

Jarmel

Banned
Well nice that Funimation got the home media rights to Eureka Seven AO and simulcast.

No surprise there. I'll be surprised they're not going to push for the distribution rights of OG E7 from the cold dead hands of Bandai. Releasing the original series on BD would be a great way to drum up interest.

F/Z 17

Welp that's that.
That delicious irony. Oh man, it was all over the place in this episode.

Soma

Fate/Zero 17:
I'm the exact opposite of everyone here in that regard, I suppose; it's like I'm enjoying it more now BECAUSE I've been thoroughly spoiled.
I kind of feel the same way actually.

Even though I (vaguely) know how it ends, it's given me a better appreciate for both F/Z and F/SN somehow. All the parallels and foreshadowing between the series have been really interesting and I like how F/Z doesn't just treat those things as simple fanservice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Firemind

Is troll the new buzzword or something?

At any rate, I get the hint that I'm not welcome, so I'll just mosey along. Sorry to have bothered you with my trolling!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Bakemonogatari 1-5

bZxMr.jpg

Senjougahara-tore has taken me over completely.

jman2050

Aroduc's posts about the ending of Toradora were pretty amusing, as they perfectly illustrate his uncanny ability to totally miss the point.

Is troll the new buzzword or something?

At any rate, I get the hint that I'm not welcome, so I'll just mosey along. Sorry to have bothered you with my trolling!

You can't come in, call out a bunch of people you don't know for no good reason, and then act like the victim when said people respond in kind.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mars of Destruction

That's it? That's the supposed worst anime ever?

...that was actually kind of funny. Certainly better than Precure Max Heart.

zeroshiki

Summer Wars

I'm kind of torn on this one. Having recently watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, another film directed by Mamoru Hosoda, the quality consistency in Summer Wars is all over the place. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was generally very good throughout the film, I don't recall any truly weak spots in the film that bring it down. Summers War on the other hand, ranges from fucking excellent to pretty cheesy. For the former, you've got this great dynamic between Kenji, Natsuki and her family. Though the level-headed-head-honcho-of-the-family archetype is nothing new, I think the grandma was one of the best portrayals of it yet and
I was genuinely choked up when she passed away
. But when things start happening in Oz, the movie takes nose dive. I know one of the messages of the film is about the dangers of technology and centralized systems but ehhh, the fate of world rests
in a game of Koi-Koi
? Then you've got the other presumptions this movie makes about technology that makes it feel in line with a Hollywood cyber-crime-thriller. Though a good portion of the Oz stuff brings down the integrity of the movie down a bit, I feel it doesn't hinder the overall message and themes of the film; the result of a very efficient script. Summers War is a good film and certainly one I would want in my collection but if I had to choose between the two Hosoda films, I'd have to give a slight edge to The Girl Leapt Through Time. Summer Wars gets a 3 out of 4.

I would have enjoyed Summer Wars 100% more if they dropped the internet stuff but kept the human dynamics of the story.

Firemind

You can't come in, call out a bunch of people you don't know for no good reason, and then act like the victim when said people respond in kind.

I called who what now? If you're referring to the post where I called you guys easy-going, I'm sorry, okay! I'm sorry I implied you guys enjoy anime!

Narag

Angel Beats 9

Organ donor cards in the train tunnel was a bit heavy handed. I think it embodies everything I dislike about that portion of the show. Exposition dump at the end was a bit much too. Maybe I haven't noticed until now but I think Angel's eyes are layered over her hair . wtf

Makoto

I would have enjoyed Summer Wars 100% more if they dropped the internet stuff but kept the human dynamics of the story.
I kept thinking about this as well during and after I finished the movie. The non-Oz stuff seemed so strong that dropping it all together may have been beneficial to the movie. I can't say for sure though. Like Firemind though, Natsuki and her family really resonated with me and I had a more enjoyable time watching them than Lovemachine.

zeroshiki

I kept thinking about this as well during and after I finished the movie. The non-Oz stuff seemed so strong that dropping it all together may have been beneficial to the movie. I can't say for sure though. Like Firemind though, Natsuki and her family really resonated with me and I had a more enjoyable time watching them than Lovemachine.

I didnt have a big family but I liked it all the same. I think the Oz stuff was the main hook for the story though, so it might not have gotten created and/or approved without it. Which makes me sad. See guys, this is why Hosoda turned to furries :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Astro Fighter Sunred

An enjoyable comedy about the daily life of a rag tag group of super villains who despite wishing for world domination are very nice bunch. As someone who was always more of a fan of the villains its nice when a show focuses on them. Also the ED is far more educational than Shining Hearts. Move aside girls, your bread song has nothing on this chicken casserole ditty.

Dropping it and replacing it with what though? Where would the conflict come from?

Uchip

Banned
poor Hosoda getting accused of some kind of bizarre shoehorning for what is most likely an innocent choice of character

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon 28

PxLHF.jpg

Any episode about
Mamoru's and Princess's past is a good episode.

Another
of the youma, this one's an artist.

Sadly, she never learned to draw anything but rocks.

It's interesting that as Mamoru gets more likeable, Tuxedo Mask is becoming more of an asshole.

And of course, there's the music box that will undoubtedly play some role later. Music boxes always do.

Narag

That artist Youma might've been my favorite. Shame they didn't explore that ability further.
Music box scene angered up the blood too.

Joule

Astro Fighter Sunred
An enjoyable comedy about the daily life of a rag tag group of super villains who despite wishing for world domination are very nice bunch. As someone who was always more of a fan of the villains its nice when a show focuses on them. Also the ED is far more educational than Shining Hearts. Move aside girls, your bread song has nothing on this chicken casserole ditty.

Vamp is so moe too! Sunred himself was pretty entertaining as well along with the other 'heroes'. One touch I liked about the OP is Red's increasingly depreciated bike. I should get around to the second season sometime.

Kuroko no Basket 04
FJbFd.gif

I guess actually paying attention to the episode for once made it actually interesting. I am liking all the shonen antics that is going on, rolled my eyes a little suddenly having the opening play during a chunk of the match and all that BL hanging in the air. Also about time to introduce the other members of the team.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yami 11

7BX0L.jpg

Yami's gotta yami

Another pointless sidestory, this time focusing on what it means to be alive, as performed by the pvc-voiced crew of a spaceship that...uh... does stuff, I guess. And shoots tentacles at people for one scene, and then never does again. Because yami. And then the drunken fox goddess stole lilith's hat. How mean. Also, that frog-princess-maid and ogre do not make a good couple. What the fuck, Deen. Eve finally appears!

So basically, this was Yami as usual. But also Yami-er than ever.

At this point, your avatar is basically canon
Naruto is so hard to watch these days :S

Well with Kishimoto removing the focus on others characters and the animators having a Naruto Sasuke OP titled Lovers and numerous Naruto Sasuke EDs...

Panty & Stocking dub trailer

Sounded like Haru's va from FLCL? Otherwise, guess Ill get it since I did like FLCL and Gurren Lagann and it says its from their studio and the music at least sounds interesting. Another near blind anime purchase.

Area no Kishi 17
tumblr_m37ne6MJlD1qbxqfpo1_500.png

So many heart thumps. I think the episode was handled well.
Mine is so into her heart theory and worst Leonardo Silva believes it too? If she would tone it down maybe but I just dont like how its affecting Kakeru and confusing him
. The flashback Leonardo Silva was pretty nice, kind of wanted it to last more than this episode as that soccer scene was cool.
Suguru needed to be around longer, he's great in these flashbacks and rather cooler than Kakeru

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabitito 11:

FMRpu.jpg

GARGANTUA-SAMA KAKKOIIIIIIIIII~

This is the last show that I would expect to realistically depict what happens to the human body in the vacuum of space, but Yami continues to exceed itself in every way possible. Nothing adds that final bit of poignancy to an already-tragic death scene like a moe girl puking in her own space helmet. My lack of disgust is really all I need to prove that Mysterious Girlfriend X is already doing really horrible things to me.

I'm trying to parse the rest of the events of the episode into something logical, but it still doesn't work. I gained a new respect for frogs, and I walk away from this episode with the very sincere hope that there is no ogre sex in the next.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Panty & Stocking dub trailer

Sounded like Haru's va from FLCL? Otherwise, guess Ill get it since I did like FLCL and Gurren Lagann and it says its from their studio and the music at least sounds interesting. Another near blind anime purchase.
Wow, the voices for Panty and Stocking are way worse than I could've imagined. So lifeless.

BluWacky

Watched a few things today:

Korra no Densetsu 4

Hmmm.

Hmmmmmmm.

I could do without the convenient saves. It's an interesting, multi-faceted story they're telling here, but
do they really have to have Amon let Korra go so many times?

Sankarea 3

I think I'm done with this show, unfortunately. While visually it remains interesting to watch, my understanding is that the comedy side is emphasised from here on out and those are already the weakest scenes of the show for me. When Wanko got "stuck" in the pipe not only was she drawn to have ample room to move around but it was purely a fanservice moment, and relied on the usual "woman shouts at man not to do amusing thing" schtick.

Saint Seiya Omega 4

I have no problem with beam spam if it's interesting beam spam, and although we have the usual elemental stuff here there was enough variety in execution here from Ryuho that I'm not too worried, and Ryuho seems like a nice if bland character anyway.

My enthusiasm was slightly dampened by the word "tournament", but I suppose we haven't met all the Saints from the OP yet (have we?) so maybe we can get through their introductions before we get to the boring stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom