• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Tsuritama] - 3

Thankfully this show has lost none of it's unique, and somewhat stupid, charm. After watching AO and Fujiko it's nice to see an episode of a show where things actually build up in a logical fashion over the course of the episode until we reach a climax.

This week, the show actually delves into a rather more serious topic:
Yuki's grandmother has to go to hospital because of her unnamed anime disease. As she wasn't actively coughing up blood yet I can only assume it's not fatal.
This is all framed, of course, by fishing related antics. Why? Because metaphor, that's why.

It was nice to see Yuki get annoyed at Haru for a perfectly valid reason, it seems like he's the only one to really be bothered by how weird and aggravating Haru can be, especially in delicate matters.

Thankfully the show looks great and I am still treated to really nice sequences of animation out of nowhere, such as the lure-practice sequence:

Tsuritama3.jpg

That's probably the most extreme take on fishing that any anime has ever had, or will ever have in the future. I mean, god damn lens flare? Amazing.

The plot is, well, er, nothing really seems to be happening. There's quite a bit of wacky stuff going on in the background but the main focus is all about Yuki. I guess we'll understand more later - or not.

Oh, and I haven't commented on the Macross reference in the OP which I find hilarious for some reason:

Tsuritama1.jpg

Glorious.

Firemind

Summer Wars

I'm kind of torn on this one. Having recently watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, another film directed by Mamoru Hosoda, the quality consistency in Summer Wars is all over the place. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was generally very good throughout the film, I don't recall any truly weak spots in the film that bring it down. Summers War on the other hand, ranges from fucking excellent to pretty cheesy. For the former, you've got this great dynamic between Kenji, Natsuki and her family. Though the level-headed-head-honcho-of-the-family archetype is nothing new, I think the grandma was one of the best portrayals of it yet and
I was genuinely choked up when she passed away
. But when things start happening in Oz, the movie takes nose dive. I know one of the messages of the film is about the dangers of technology and centralized systems but ehhh, the fate of world rests
in a game of Koi-Koi
? Then you've got the other presumptions this movie makes about technology that makes it feel in line with a Hollywood cyber-crime-thriller. Though a good portion of the Oz stuff brings down the integrity of the movie down a bit, I feel it doesn't hinder the overall message and themes of the film; the result of a very efficient script. Summers War is a good film and certainly one I would want in my collection but if I had to choose between the two Hosoda films, I'd have to give a slight edge to The Girl Leapt Through Time. Summer Wars gets a 3 out of 4.

Hanafuda is epic yo!

Like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, it demands suspension of disbelief from the viewers. From the opening minutes, it's hard to believe that everything is controlled through Oz, which can be cracked by a single root password. Later on,
they use a military-grade satellite link, a super computer and a boat full of generators to play a game. It is certainly impressive. At least the ending isn't bittersweet.

Jex

Summer Wars

I'm kind of torn on this one. Having recently watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, another film directed by Mamoru Hosoda, the quality consistency in Summer Wars is all over the place. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was generally very good throughout the film, I don't recall any truly weak spots in the film that bring it down. Summers War on the other hand, ranges from fucking excellent to pretty cheesy. For the former, you've got this great dynamic between Kenji, Natsuki and her family. Though the level-headed-head-honcho-of-the-family archetype is nothing new, I think the grandma was one of the best portrayals of it yet and
I was genuinely choked up when she passed away
. But when things start happening in Oz, the movie takes nose dive. I know one of the messages of the film is about the dangers of technology and centralized systems but ehhh, the fate of world rests
in a game of Koi-Koi
? Then you've got the other presumptions this movie makes about technology that makes it feel in line with a Hollywood cyber-crime-thriller. Though a good portion of the Oz stuff brings down the integrity of the movie down a bit, I feel it doesn't hinder the overall message and themes of the film; the result of a very efficient script. Summers War is a good film and certainly one I would want in my collection but if I had to choose between the two Hosoda films, I'd have to give a slight edge to The Girl Leapt Through Time. Summer Wars gets a 3 out of 4.
I can't really that I ever want to put Summer Wars in my collection. Where as TGWLTT succeeds because it's a very tight story focused on a small group of character I feel that SW fails because there's too many characters I don't care about involved in a messy story that doesn't hold together.

It's not even, really, about suspension of disbelief (although that is certainly tested by the portrayal of technology in the film).

I probably wouldn't even bother recommending it to people when there are other exciting Hosoda works to check out.

[Tsuritama] - 3

Thankfully this show has lost none of it's unique, and somewhat stupid, charm. After watching AO and Fujiko it's nice to see an episode of a show where things actually build up in a logical fashion over the course of the episode until we reach a climax.

This week, the show actually delves into a rather more serious topic:
Yuki's grandmother has to go to hospital because of her unnamed anime disease. As she wasn't actively coughing up blood yet I can only assume it's not fatal.
This is all framed, of course, by fishing related antics. Why? Because metaphor, that's why.

I really hope it isnt a fatal diseases, it would greatly change the entire tone of the show, which doesnt seem to imply it is that serious to begin with?

cajunator

Banned
I can't really that I ever want to put Summer Wars in my collection. Where as TGWLTT succeeds because it's a very tight story focused on a small group of character I feel that SW fails because there's too many characters I don't care about involved in a messy story that doesn't hold together. It's even, really, about suspension of disbelief (although that is certainly tested by the portrayal of technology in the film).

I probably wouldn't even bother recommending it to people when there are other exciting Hosoda works to check out.

Summer Wars exists so it was bought.

But really it was a fun movie and I like shows about MMO's even thougH I hate to actually play them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nakama~

Although I will concede that the last 2 minutes of Bebop are better than the last 2 minutes of Sailor Moon season one, since
Sailor Moon's post ending bit takes all the meaning out of the ending, really.
But Cowboy does not have anything like Stars though!

Poor Kise, he looked devastated when he accidently hit Kurokocchi
I was hoping he would try to kiss it all better.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I need to start the next arc of Utena, and Sailor Moon R, somehow my backlog gets bigger when I finish a show, something is wrong here. :(

But Cowboy does not have anything like Stars though!

I was hoping he would try to kiss it all better.

I was strictly comparing the first season of Sailor Moon, since I haven't seen the others yet!

Jex

I suppose I might actually recommend Summer Wars to others purely because a number of people have mentioned that they enjoyed it, but not because I actually care for it. Kind of like how I'd recommend that people check out Haurhi even though I am not a big fan of that either.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I suppose I might actually recommend Summer Wars to others purely because a number of people have mentioned that they enjoyed it, but not because I actually care for it. Kind of like how I'd recommend that people check out Haurhi even though I am not a big fan of that either.

But Haruhi is an actively bad show. Though I suppose that doesn't change how you recommend shows. :p

I'm team G3A3. She is for me a childhood friend, my first military service rifle.

Yeah. Some /a/non pointed out that maybe it also represented the bolt carrier, as is a pretty characteristic and uniquely shaped piece on any AR-15 variant, and it corresponds with what the author depicts in the girls as the 'head' of the weapon's body.

If I leave here the 'UNTZ!' version I'm going to get banned for posting epilepsy-inducing .GIFs, right?

You would die a good death!

But thehe orange slice thing is pretty deep. M16 is the right chracter for all people with a faible for deep characters + a little PTSD-moe.

the vietnam flashback was gorgeous!

Ultimadrago

Well, the closer you are to Chibiusa, the better Sailor Moon gets!

I can only speak for one of the beat 'em up games.

If she is an equivalent of that in the show, Chibiusa's freaking great*!

*Knows that you shouldn't judge anime characters solely on video games.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I always feel so left out when you guys are talking about Sailor Moon. It's been more than 15 years since the last time I watched it. I can barely remember names.

survivor

Banned
I always feel so left out when you guys are talking about Sailor Moon. It's been more than 15 years since the last time I watched it. I can barely remember names.

I remember nothing about the show outside of that I only watched it as a kid cause it came on before Power Rangers.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Brazil, I was in that exact same situation of not having watched it in over a decade, which is why I started to rewatch it. I heartily recommend you do the same, it's a really good show.
Apart from the last 2 minutes of the first season.

But a lot of people love Angel Beats. Would you recommend that?

Accel World 04
sCaIq.gif

Wow. I'm surprised that the show actually went that direction. Or at the very least I definitely never saw that to ever happen. Sure, we still get crazy school restrooms, a protag that's still pretty terrible but at least it looks like we're getting more fights.

Jex

But a lot of people love Angel Beats. Would you recommend that?

It really depends on the person asking, but I doubt it. Haruhi is a very well made show that I don't have much affection for, where as Angel Beats is a piece of crap in every possible sense.

kuroko's balls 4
wish this show has more framerates. The cg net is hilarious.

The BL aura is stifling.

And only in anime would you try to go for a buzzer beater alley oop ;P

Accel World 04
sCaIq.gif

Wow. I'm surprised that the show actually went that direction. Or at the very least I definitely never saw that to ever happen. Sure, we still get crazy school restrooms, a protag that's still pretty terrible but at least it looks like we're getting more fights.

ibnAgCGkEOWsk0.gif

getting told by fatboy was delicious.

cajunator

Banned

Recommend it because Summer Wars is a good movie.

I need to start the next arc of Utena, and Sailor Moon R, somehow my backlog gets bigger when I finish a show, something is wrong here. :(

I was strictly comparing the first season of Sailor Moon, since I haven't seen the others yet!

I know what you mean. To add to it I buy older series off ebay a lot so that just makes it worse! the backlog will NEVER end.

However, once (if) I ever get my 7/7 schedule back, I will have entire weeks off work and I can seriously work through my collection.
Anime is serious fucking business.

Brazil

Brazil, I was in that exact same situation of not having watched it in over a decade, which is why I started to rewatch it. I heartily recommend you do the same, it's a really good show.
Apart from the last 2 minutes of the first season.

I'll eventually get back to it, but my backlog's already so huge, hahaha.

I need to rewatch that, Ranma 1/2, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, and maybe Mon Colle Knights just for kicks.

Firemind

I can't really that I ever want to put Summer Wars in my collection. Where as TGWLTT succeeds because it's a very tight story focused on a small group of character I feel that SW fails because there's too many characters I don't care about involved in a messy story that doesn't hold together.

It's not even, really, about suspension of disbelief (although that is certainly tested by the portrayal of technology in the film).

You wound me.

Maybe I was brought up in a big family which led that every character in Summer Wars resonated with me. It's not common that you see such a big cast at the same place interacting with each other during the majority of the movie. The build-up then turns into heartwarming sentiments until finally the credits roll, after which you feel completely satisfied. Whereas I felt the plot twist in Time Girl didn't really jive with the rest of the film. There had to be a conflict, a message, naturally, but surely it could have been conveyed more succulently.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gah!
I'm going to need to make a separate "Envelope-based backlog" at this rate!

Sailor Moon is one of those things that I'll get to watching when I get to watching.
Like a backlog, but less "written down" and stuff.

D'aaaaaaaaw

Have you watched HeartCatch yet? If not, there's another good one to throw on the pile, though I am thinking of making my own list of which episodes to watch so you can skip all the boring filler ones Toei puts in to stretch it out to take up a whole year.

survivor

Banned

I need to rewatch that, Ranma 1/2, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, and maybe Mon Colle Knights just for kicks.

The final fight was really disappointing. The power levels got so high it became a joke.

Ultimadrago

Have you watched HeartCatch yet? If not, there's another good one to throw on the pile, though I am thinking of making my own list of which episodes to watch so you can skip all the boring filler ones Toei puts in to stretch it out to take up a whole year.

Nah.
I'm willing to watch eventually Sailor Moon (Hell, it's a classic), but have no desire to watch any HeartCatch.

Edit: If you can pick out certain episodes, perhaps a couple, but no promises on that one.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well at least you watched it. I only ever caught bits and pieces of it since I didn't have the right channel and only one friend of mine was interested in the show (saying that he was really really into it, even recorded the music on to MDs).

cajunator

Banned

I working my way through it as well (see how much envelope keeps pushing me to keep watching it)

I really want more free time ;_;

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Nah.
I'm willing to watch eventually Sailor Moon (Hell, it's a classic), but have no desire to watch any HeartCatch.

Edit: If you can pick out certain episodes, perhaps a couple, but no promises on that one.

That's too bad, HeartCatch is one of the best magical girl shows in recent times, though it really doesn't compare to Sailor Moon. Perhaps you should give the HeartCatch movie a try and see if you like it?

Well at least you watched it. I only ever caught bits and pieces of it since I didn't have the right channel and only one friend of mine was interested in the show (saying that he was really really into it, even recorded the music on to MDs).

It's never to late to start!

Firemind

Mon Colle Knights is awesome.

Fifteen years ago.

When you watch it now, it elicits every trope in the monster of the week business.

Still hilarious, mind you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I kind of get the feeling that Mon Colle Knights really, really doesn't hold up for viewing as an adult, but then again I'm only familiar with the 4kids version.

Brazil

I gave up on 8 when I got to a part that I had to grind for hours

I never finished VIII either. V is still my favorite.

I kind of get the feeling that Mon Colle Knights really, really doesn't hold up for viewing as an adult, but then again I'm only familiar with the 4kids version.

I have the same suspicion, but it might be worth rewatching it just for the nostalgia factor. At least a couple of episodes.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I never finished VIII either. V is still my favorite.

I have the same suspicion, but it might be worth rewatching it just for the nostalgia factor. At least a couple of episodes.

Just so long as you watch Sailor Moon first, since it does hold up. :)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fate/Zero 17:

That was like, a Resident Evil-esque blood spill there. This was basically "The Corruption of Kotomine Kirei" as far as episodes go. I'm actually enjoying this series more now that I've watched all of F/SN and am playing the VN, because now I can see what all of the allusions are. I'm the exact opposite of everyone here in that regard, I suppose; it's like I'm enjoying it more now BECAUSE I've been thoroughly spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom