• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh? There was a recent discussion about One Piece.

Not to mention a host of people talking about Gintama on a weekly basis while it was airing. Or the discussion of Saint Seiya Omega we've had this season. Or a wealth of other examples. Between ignoring that and his absurd, disparaging comment about "real shows", it's safe to say we have a committed troll on our hands.

Well nice that Funimation got the home media rights to Eureka Seven AO and simulcast.

North American anime distributor Funimation announced at its Anime Central panel on Saturday that it has acquired the home media rights to the EUREKA SEVEN AO (Astral Ocean) television anime series and the King of Thorn film. Funimation has also acquired the simulcast rights to EUREKA SEVEN AO, and the series will begin streaming on Funimation's website this Thursday.

Not to mention a host of people talking about Gintama on a weekly basis while it was airing. Or the discussion of Saint Seiya Omega we've had this season. Or a wealth of other examples. Between ignoring that and his absurd, disparaging comment about "real shows", it's safe to say we have a committed troll on our hands.
I assumed that he just meant the big three shounen shows. There are plenty of currently airing shounen shows that get mentioned in this thread.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Bodacious Space Pirates 17:

jack-nicholson-yes.gif

Firemind

Why so serious?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tsuritama 03:

It's like if Pain went fishing.

2DtYd.gif

I mean this in the best way possible. I welcome the presence of fishing sakuga in my anime.

I'm still kind of conflicted on the art style. Sometimes it looks fantastic and cheerful and vibrant, and other times it looks like photographs run through a photoshop filter. Fortunately, I'm usually too busy enjoying the show to really care.

I'm glad to see that there's some semblance of a plot now, even if the
alien conspiracy
threatens to derail the slice-of-life. I'd say that I have faith that it won't take over the show, but there's no way that we don't move in a darker direction now that it's confirmed that
grandma is dying
. FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I'll just absorb as much cheerfulness as I can from the show before that happens, I suppose.

Hahaha, I watched the episode.

IT HAS FULL ON
YURI
. SUBTEXT indeed. So amazing. :p

Who else?! lol

Okay, I'm back for one episode.

moretsu pirates 17
that thumping beats.

That yuri.

That troll plot twist.

That dad does remind me of Sankarea pops for some reason.

Anyhow, anyone else really dig the end of eps title card?

Ultimadrago

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage 6 (Ep.18)

So a chainsaw lady chases you to a roof. You're cornered. What doe she do....monologues with the device that helps her talk.

She somehow loses her talky thing and then throws a temper tantrum, therefore not killing you. lolwut

Anyways, Chinese Dragon Lady gets a taste of Revy/Eda action and is incapacitated. The "action" music for this arc is still the same terrible "bomp bomp b-b-b-b-bomp-bomp."

LAWk3.jpg

Love on the battlefield.

Now this scene is funny. The Chinese lady runs into the Wizard after they are both defeated by Lagoon. He asks her if his flashy entrance (which left his open to be shot) looked good. She replies that he looked like an idiot while coughing up blood. He in turn says she should wear a bulletproof next time.

A viewer takes from this just how "every day" the job of killing and robbing really is in Roanpur. This exchange is not unlike two business employees talking around a water fountain. There is no panicking, no screaming, just "Man, that sucks. So...what are you having for dinner."

It's an inconsequential scene at face value, but is much more informative than just a typical side scene of antagonists going, "Awww man!"

The scenes on the escape boat include Dutch's "Wild Bull" and Revy returning to her acrobatic dual-wielding style (my favorite kinda Revy) briefly. In terms of editing, nothing interesting emerges, just cinematography doing its job for the immediate situation. Showing off the different conflicts emerging on and inside the ship.

Anyways, more bullets, a good scene that even further details the ins and outs of Roanpur and some Revy/Eda teamwork. All in all, I'd say it was solid, but could have used polishing on the music and some creativity with the cinematography that could have amplified the intensity of the action.

gpdzt.jpg

Eda's eyes, they're beauts...

Jex

So, after a disappointing episode of Sankarea I suppose it's only fitting that we have a disappointing episode of Fujiko.

[Fujiko IV: The Quest for Plot]

I believe I mentioned last week that I wasn't entirely certain what the 'point' was to that episode. I feel much the same way about this weeks episode, except more so. None of it really meshes together in a satisfying or interesting manner. It's truly all over the place. Let's take a look at what this episode was trying to do.

As with the previous set of episodes, the central thrust of this episode was, apparently, to introduce us to Zenigata. The problem with this is, Zenigata is a guy who really wants to catch Lupin and that's about it. They add some wrinkles to his character, I suppose:
he is willing to allow Fujiko to free if she works for him and sleeps with him, apparently he's got no problem exploiting people for his own gains. He's also surprisingly happy to shoot Lupin too. These are some rather significant changes from his earlier, obsessive but comical role as the guy trying to catch Lupin. Here, he admits that he's actually trying to kill him.
This might be interesting, I suppose, if the episode really bothered to flesh any of this out. However, this introduction to Zenigata stuff is all layered on top of some Opera-hyjinx story, which dilutes any chance they have to flesh out either Zenigata or the Opera story. There's not really enough room to do both and so each side of the episode suffers.

In the Jigen episode the plot was directly tied into Jigen's character, here they might as well be completely separate. Nothing that happens during the Opera plot is given any time to develop properly, instead it's a series of pointless twists and turns involving characters we don't care about doing things that we can't explain because we haven't really been introduced to them. There was lots of things happening this episode but none of them mattered in the slightest. None of the elements came together to make a story.

Oh, I guess Fujiko was in this episode as well, but who cares about her?

trejo

I guess one episode of non-bodacious boring pirates can't hurt...

Eureka7 AO 3

Apart from the visible hit the production values took what irritated me the most about this is that it felt like 12 minutes worth of content stretched to fill an entire episode.

Acchi Kocchi 04
EV1Rb.png

Simultaneous nosebleeds.
Very fun episode of kick the can and a radio chat. Got a little bored of the non action going on near the end expect that extreme pen twirling.

Joule

You think he’s trolling for hits by stirring up controversy? If he wanted to get hits, he’d blog all the Kyoani, Gainax, Shaft, A-1 and Brains Base shows and trash them, or be a conformist like the gents at Random Curiosity, but he doesn’t. He writes a first episode impression, which he does for all shows, then leaves it at that if it isn’t his thing. Sure, his writing style is bombastic and snide, but it’s just that. A style. One that I personally don’t find offensive, as his critical views are mostly valid, if cynical, and above all, actually tell me something, even if I happen to strongly disagree. He has a write-up explaining why it’s important. He uploads an image dump because he watches shows raw, so that readers get a preview before it’s subbed. As for the error, he’s only human. He even states this in the comment header. By the way, the blog existed before 2007. He also translates doujin games in his spare time.
Aroduc fishing for hits? That gives me a funny mental image of him. I haven't read much of his blog lately but that's not something I'd think he'd care about at all.

Ultimadrago

Those aren’t real shows.

It would seem so.

Jex

Speaking of disappointing:

[Eureka 7 AO]

Apparently, island folks aren't just foolish, they're wilfully ignorant but that's okay, we shouldn't hate them because they love their island. That's the weirdest defence of racism I've heard recently.

People certainly did a lot of walking and talking and standing and talking and playing music and talking during the course of this weeks episode. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem but I haven't been a fan of the script from the first episode and it hasn't really improved by now. There was a lot of strange, awkward speeches in this episode which didn't sound like the kinds of things that human beings actually say.

I don't even know what this show is going to be about yet, but I hope we find out soon because without some kind of goal or thrust I feel like the shows just spinning it's wheels.

Aroduc fishing for hits? That gives me a funny mental image of him. I haven't read much of his blog lately but that's not something I'd think he'd care about at all.

I'm not familiar with this Aroduc guy - I guess he's some sort of long-time celebrity in the Internet anime blogosphere or something - but if he genuinely hates pretty much all anime and all people in the anime industry yet continues to watch and comment about it at length, well, that's just sad.

Makoto

Summer Wars

I'm kind of torn on this one. Having recently watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, another film directed by Mamoru Hosoda, the quality consistency in Summer Wars is all over the place. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was generally very good throughout the film, I don't recall any truly weak spots in the film that bring it down. Summers War on the other hand, ranges from fucking excellent to pretty cheesy. For the former, you've got this great dynamic between Kenji, Natsuki and her family. Though the level-headed-head-honcho-of-the-family archetype is nothing new, I think the grandma was one of the best portrayals of it yet and
I was genuinely choked up when she passed away
. But when things start happening in Oz, the movie takes nose dive. I know one of the messages of the film is about the dangers of technology and centralized systems but ehhh, the fate of world rests
in a game of Koi-Koi
? Then you've got the other presumptions this movie makes about technology that makes it feel in line with a Hollywood cyber-crime-thriller. Though a good portion of the Oz stuff brings down the integrity of the movie down a bit, I feel it doesn't hinder the overall message and themes of the film; the result of a very efficient script. Summers War is a good film and certainly one I would want in my collection but if I had to choose between the two Hosoda films, I'd have to give a slight edge to The Girl Leapt Through Time. Summer Wars gets a 3 out of 4.

/XX/

(that's the fan theory)
Yeah. Some /a/non pointed out that maybe it also represented the bolt carrier, as is a pretty characteristic and uniquely shaped piece on any AR-15 variant, and it corresponds with what the author depicts in the girls as the 'head' of the weapon's body.

It's that important? you should watch it now!
If I leave here the 'UNTZ!' version I'm going to get banned for posting epilepsy-inducing .GIFs, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom