• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Now imagine if he abruptly stopped watching Utena and started watching Inu Yasha.

I would have still been interested :(

He might be able to explain to me the existence of Sesshomaru's fandom.

I was going to watch Inu Yasha but Netflix pulled it. Those bastards.

You mean that Sesshoumaru's impossible beauty isn't apparent to you? If I was a girl I would have been so hot for him as a teenager.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Was just doing some research, and it turns out the seiyuu for Saber in Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night (Ayako Kawasumi) is the same person who does Nodame in Nodame Cantabile.

Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum. XD

You just blew my mind.

Ultimadrago

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage 8 (Ep.20)

AI9JY.jpg

Balalaika takes rein of the negotiation, as always.

More negotiations for gang extermination between Balalaika and a Tokyo gang. She has used methods considered too extreme for her business partners, but...*looks at picture above* Does it look like she gives a fuck?

Anyways, this meeting ends and Rock gets his ass kicked in a hallway. Seriously, Rock, you live in Roanapur for a year and don't even learn how to at least hold a gun? Pathetic.

VzNDO.jpg

Yes, Balalaika close-ups are the most interesting visuals in this episode.

Lesson of the episode: It's a small world after all.

You never know who's the daughter of a deceased crime boss.

You also learn that Balalaika is truly a magnificent spawn of her upbringing.

Good episode to further characterize this figure. As it's own plot, it's on the weak side. The random girl in this one is hard to sympathize with because she's such a dull character. Rock wants to protect her obviously, but I, as the viewer, do not care for this goal.

So, this arc thus far is stating: Weak characterization for new characters, stronger characterization for stabilized characters. An unfavorable flaw in narrative, but for the sake of finally giving more depth to the main cast, it works for me.

Well, only so much at least, next episode should bring me action.

I must add an interesting (though textbook) light and dark scene, where the
girl, who must make a sacrifice in order to stop the Russians from causing further bloodshed. While her bodyguard does not want her to die, as he cared much for her father while he lived. The body guard's past in one tainted with blood in the name of justice. The daughter, just a normal school girl by day. If she walks towards the light of death, the body guard shall stay in the darkness.

Was just doing some research, and it turns out the seiyuu for Saber in Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night (Ayako Kawasumi) is the same person who does Nodame in Nodame Cantabile.

Heh, my mind always brings up Miharu from Girls Bravo whenever I think of what else Saber's seiyuu has done.

Cwarrior

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage 7 (Ep. 19)

1 year anniversary since getting kidnapped! Get the wine!

So, this comes off as a chemistry building episode. Revy and Rock travel to Japan on business with Balalaika. The negotiations go off with a "bang" in success and Revy and Rock retreat from the meeting area.

Their taxi drives by a traditional festival and she feels like it would be fun, so they stop by. Here is where a bit of relationship bonds thicken between Revy and Rock as she asks him about his family and the suggestion of dropping by to greet them. All the while, reminiscing of her lack (or non-ideal life) of a family. Rock states that he is fine just considering the crew as family.

I'll take this line to say, Revy's Engrish cursing and one-liners are cute as a button.

Haha! So much Engrish in this episode. Delicious!

Then Revy has a fun scene showing some kids her shooting skills while Rock visits home
and no one is there.

This Revy-Rock episode wasn't bad. The important detail is that it came around at all! Ever since the "delivery" episode we haven't had time to see these characters grow their bond with each other on a personal level (at least not with as much time invested).

This showed that Rock has learned to appreciate the Lagoon crew on some under-detailed level. While Revy, even with her lack of a blood family, understands the importance of the concept while she constantly pushes Rock to go visit his own.

It seems that she wants the best for him and believes that the best way to display that is to push him out the nest back to his own nest. However, this baby bird won't budge.

I nearly throw up multiple times watching this tokyo arc,so much rage(mostly thanks to rock).

black lagoon is highly overrated(yes I used that word problem) it's another of those show if the characters had been gender swapped most people wouldn't give shit about it.

it's not a bad show, it's very underwhelming decent one, the arcs start off good with a cool dark sinister atmosphere giving you the impression some thing big is going to go down in this port side town but then it's followed by badly animated random goons being shot(animation is stiff like the characters are made of cardboard) ,crappy dialogue, name dropping westaboo films to pander to westaboos,lame one liners,some the worst talk no jutsu logic i have ever heard, the action is more like a fart in the wind then the action movie kind it would lead to believe is going to happen.

the best way to watch black lagoon is to watch the first and second episode and to never watch the ending of each arc.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 02
Wait, how did you come up with that diagnosis? You just arrived five seconds ago. He is not bleeding that much, how do you know it's serious? It looked like a concussion to me. Is it an internal hemorrhage? Did a piece of his skull get inserted into his brain? Maybe a rib pierced his lung? How can you tell without opening him up? Are you working on nanomachines? Where did you get your medical degree? Is the Alliance this desperate for personnel?

Novid

Banned
Folktales from Japan 5

This was very relaxing as usual. The only issue I have with this is that a fair amount of the stories are about jealous and greedy neighbours fucking things up for everyone else.

thats because a lot of myths is based on that?

Westlo

Yeah Ayako Kawasumi is awesome, really loved her Lafiel. It's a shame she'll never get any more lead role again :(

I can't see the appeal of Kore wa Zombie when it's srs business. It's overdone, sloppy, forced drama that makes me wish the show stuck to being a slapstick comedy.

Eh, I disagree. I think it's a nice change of pace that handles tone shifts effectively. I mean at its base, this is a kitchen sink world that tries to be both a deconstructive parody and a serious action thriller. Even the initial premise of some dude and his parents being murdered and coming back as a zombie so he can avenge them lends itself to both ends of the spectrum. I really liked the fight against the first villain in season 1 as well as the last one (particularly in episode 11). Yeah, the drama is cliche, but I think it's rather entertaining nonetheless.

frostbyte

Eh, I disagree. I think it's a nice change of pace that handles tone shifts effectively. I mean at its base, this is a kitchen sink world that tries to be both a deconstructive parody and a serious action thriller. Even the initial premise of some dude and his parents being murdered and coming back as a zombie so he can avenge them lends itself to both ends of the spectrum. I really liked the fight against the first villain in season 1 as well as the last one (particularly in episode 11). Yeah, the drama is cliche, but I think it's rather entertaining nonetheless.

I can see where you're coming from. I personally hate on cliche stuff a lot so yeah, my opinion differs a lot. Although regarding serious action thriller, it's not too thrilling for me to be honest. I'd say something like HOTD is more action packed than Kore wa Zombie.

---------------------------------------

Upotte 4

Gun dorama is genuinely entertaining. Ichiroku is being an asshat, kind of out of character, but it's pretty funny. Poor Eru though ;_;

Sig is still the best~ She can capture my heart any time any where <3

Surprised Im managing to keep all the plots separate but on top of Age and Seed HD, started 00.

Gundam 00 s1 ep 1 2

Nary a bad Gundam in this surprisingly. Setsuna is cool, Allelujah Haptism, Lock On too. Exia > Kirios > Dynames > Virtue, I guess but they kind of make Age Gundam and Gundam Strike seem like child toys, something about those GN particles. Setsuna is gundam in ep 2, funny to finally hear that line in the anime. Wang Liu Mei has the potential to be annoying. They introduced quite a bit in just these two episodes. Hopefully can finish the entire two seasons by end of week.

Bandai could have used different style for the subs, look quite ugly, but the dvd image quality is surprisingly nice.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Un-Go 03:

Every time that I do something that upsets duckroll, I have to watch an episode of Un-Go. I think that what got me this time was admitting to never having seen RahXephon.

Mab0Jl.jpg

KILL IT WITH FIRE (actually, that could have worked for this episode's title)

I don't have quite as much to say for this episode as I did for the previous two because we have our first multi-episode mystery. Some of the details were a bit difficult to follow because several members of the Sasa family have really similar-sounding names, but from what I gather
there's an AI embedded in the Sasa home that's trying to stop the greedy uncle from selling off his dead brother's title to........something or other
. I could be totally off-base, so I won't bother speculating too much.

I also feel compelled to remark that I'm beginning to like the show's depiction of
a future Japan ruined by war and terrorism
. For some reason, this shot stood out to me:

It felt representative of a world where technology and devastation coexist. There are modern conveniences everywhere, but without the infrastructure to properly support them even smartphones pile up on dusty shelves in tangles of cords like VCRs and Sega consoles at a flea market stall. I also enjoyed the scene of Shinjuurou walking amidst a ruined building where even the homeless were surrounded by bookcases and lamps giving off warm light. The mix of modernity and despair is fairly believable and it's certainly one of the more unique depictions of a
post-apocalyptic/war-torn
world that I've seen. Now if they could just explain what the fuck is up with Inga...

Even if I don't care for the characters yet, the setting is increasingly grabbing my interest. I'll probably watch another episode or two before the weekend is through.

I can see where you're coming from. I personally hate on cliche stuff a lot so yeah, my opinion differs a lot. Although regarding serious action thriller, it's not too thrilling for me to be honest. I'd say something like HOTD is more action packed than Kore wa Zombie.

I'm just using "thriller" as a loose term here to refer to anything attempting a strong sense of tension. Whether it's effective or not will obviously vary from person to person.

Though maybe "thriller" wasn't the best term to use. I think that should probably be reserved for stuff with a strong sense of escalation like Death Note or Mirai Nikki.

Westlo

Too old, she isn't otaku bait like say Aki Toyosaki and due to how long she has been around she's probably quite pricy for main character rolls. If you look over her list of roles you'll see any lead female roles she has had over the last 3-4 years has been her reprising characters she has played before. It happens.. look @ Satsuki Yukino for instance.. she was Kaname from Full Metal Panic, Mion/Shion from Higurashi, Kagome from InuYasha etc and she now gets a few supporting roles a year. Even K.Rie's dominance is started to erode... it happens to everyone.... people want the new in thing and studios want to pay less money..

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Too old, she isn't otaku bait like say Aki Toyosaki and due to how long she has been around she's probably quite pricy for main character rolls. If you look over her list of roles you'll see any lead female roles she has had over the last 3-4 years has been her reprising characters she has played before. It happens.. look @ Satsuki Yukino for instance.. she was Kaname from Full Metal Panic, Mion/Shion from Higurashi, Kagome from InuYasha etc and she now gets a few supporting roles a year. Even K.Rie's dominance is started to erode... it happens to everyone.... people want the new in thing and studios want to pay less money..

I guess so, yeah. :/ It happens to all the best seiyuu. I wish, for example, Megumi Hayashibara had more roles. These days she's basically doing Detective Conan and nothing else. :/

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I guess so, yeah. :/ It happens to all the best seiyuu. I wish, for example, Megumi Hayashibara had more roles. These days she's basically doing Detective Conan and nothing else. :/

Clearly we need a new season of Slayers, STAT.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

She also plays Gwendolyn in Odin Sphere and Silmeria in Valkyrie profile 2! really loved her voice in the former.

You'd think being a little older wouldn't matter for a voice-over career. So dumb.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Upotte 4

Gun dorama is genuinely entertaining. Ichiroku is being an asshat, kind of out of character, but it's pretty funny. Poor Eru though ;_;

Sig is still the best~ She can capture my heart any time any where <3

Something I've always found interesting about the series is that it's always just a little implied that the girls remember their war experience, like how 14 remembers ambushes in 'Nam and 16 remembers every time she falls short. There's that lingering unspoken implication that they suffer from some pretty deeply ingrained PTSD. I mean, consider why 16 wants to win,
and her past. Elle is THAT gun, she's unreliable and kind of clunky and clumsy, like 16 was back early in her life. Now she sees that same thing with Elle and can't stand it. She sees her past self, and she hates her past self.
This show really is 2DEEP4U. :p

madp

The Light of El Cantare
We just got two new seasons like three years ago and the only thing they were good for was breaking whatever nostalgia goggles we had for Slayers.

Revolution was bad, but Evolution-R was kind of a return to form and I'd gladly take more. No nostalgia goggles here because I marathoned all three seasons and most of the OVAs shortly before Revolution aired.

Ultimadrago

Revolution was bad, but Evolution-R was kind of a return to form and I'd gladly take more. No nostalgia goggles here because I marathoned all three seasons and most of the OVAs shortly before Revolution aired.

Man, as a huge Slayers head, I am a bit fearful to finally getting to Revolution and Evolution-R.

The thing..with the ears...scared me off a bit.

We just got two new seasons like three years ago and the only thing they were good for was breaking whatever nostalgia goggles we had for Slayers.

No, both seasons (or the one season, if you consider them as the two halves of one season that they are, for the most part) were good, the best shows of both of their respective seasons for sure... maybe in some ways the original Slayers shows were even better, but I definitely liked Revolution and Evolution R even so. It was fantastic to see more Slayers, and I really hope that they'll make another season sometime too... it's one of my favorite anime franchises, I'd say. :)

Man, as a huge Slayers head, I am a bit fearful to finally getting to Revolution and Evolution-R.

He's not that bad, really...

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Pokota is annoying, but you learn to accept him after a while. My problems with Revolution had far more to do with the story than his presence as a character.

frostbyte

Digimon made me a hosoda fan

"the girl who leapt through time" made me a hater

summer wars put me to sleep

:(

It's not a masterpiece but it's still a pretty good movie.

I'm just using "thriller" as a loose term here to refer to anything attempting a strong sense of tension. Whether it's effective or not will obviously vary from person to person.

Though maybe "thriller" wasn't the best term to use. I think that should probably be reserved for stuff with a strong sense of escalation like Death Note or Mirai Nikki.

I agree.

On the topic of Mirai Nikki, good watch or not? and anime or manga?

Something I've always found interesting about the series is that it's always just a little implied that the girls remember their war experience, like how 14 remembers ambushes in 'Nam and 16 remembers every time she falls short. There's that lingering unspoken implication that they suffer from some pretty deeply ingrained PTSD. I mean, consider why 16 wants to win,
and her past. Elle is THAT gun, she's unreliable and kind of clunky and clumsy, like 16 was back early in her life. Now she sees that same thing with Elle and can't stand it. She sees her past self, and she hates her past self.
This show really is 2DEEP4U. :p

lol. They're secretly burying their traumatic war experiences inside their heart and project a happy-go-lucky exterior to disguise their grief!

We all judged Upotte too early. :p

The Tatami Galaxy 4

First the Cycle Cleanup Corps, now the Library Police - are we sure this isn't some near-future dystopia?

I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the earlier episodes, perhaps because the characterization seemed a little spotty, but I loved the hilariously random touches. Like "Sudden Musical!":

Those are always fun.

Ezalc

Space Brothers 5

DAT FRIDEG, please tell me I'm not late to the Engrish party.

EDIT: Oh god the one thing he notices is the missing H.

frostbyte

Gotta sell those character cds!

Are character cds ever good? In my mindset, they're only used to exploit the popularity of the respective anime for more profit, as well as building the popularity of the respective idol, who usually can't sing very well.

Dresden

The Tatami Galaxy 4

First the Cycle Cleanup Corps, now the Library Police - are we sure this isn't some near-future dystopia?

I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the earlier episodes, perhaps because the characterization seemed a little spotty, but I loved the hilariously random touches. Like "Sudden Musical!":

Those are always fun.

The repetition wore me out for a few more episodes after that (although episode six is still totally rad from what I remember), but the conclusion is a bonanza.

I agree.

On the topic of Mirai Nikki, good watch or not? and anime or manga?

Based on your tastes and general opinion of things, I am 99% sure you will find it stupid. The question is whether you'll also find it entertaining. I personally love it precisely because it has a ridiculous sense of escalation along the lines of Death Note and Code Geass, so I'd probably recommend it if you're a fan of those. I think the best way to describe it is Death Note + Higurashi no Naku koro ni.

And the anime is the definitive version, but they cut out like 10 pages or something from the last chapter, so I'd say read those when you're done if you decide to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom