• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Kagami on top and Kuroko on bottom, that was pretty epic. We need more action like that.
i4YPhLNeFgV3A.gif

wonzo

Banned
Poyopoyo 17

This was the greatest Poyopoyo ep of all time...OF ALL TIME!

Only nine episodes left and I'm gonna need something to fill the roundcat shaped hole that's gonna be left in my heart ;_;

Narag

Angel Beats Stairway to Heaven

This was an "unaired episode" which I assume was just an OAV bonus for the home release. It was surprisingly decent as it embraced the overtop nature of the show shamelessly without drifting towards anything serious so good fun was to be had.. I'm glad it didn't address any of the actual plot in the show as that would've diminished it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fate/Zero 17:

Everything is going as I had expected.

It's curious that they would bring up the fact that Kirei apparently had issues with his father. For a mysterious man like Kirei, any piece of info that the show drops about the inner workings of his mind should be fairly significant, so because there's obviously never going to be any resolution to the issue, I can only assume that it was mentioned solely to underscore how duplicitous Kirei is.

After episodes of teasing, we finally have the match made in hell between Gil and Kirei. Tokiomi wasn't particularly likeable, but his death is tragic if only for Rin, who not only lost a father that she innocently admired but is now legally Kirei's ward. Being adopted by the person who killed your father and will probably abuse the fuck out of you for his own sadistic enjoyment? Sakura might have it better at this point. If Kariya lives long enough to learn all of this, he will go ballistic. It's just a shitty situation all around for everyone.

frostbyte

Summer Wars

I'm kind of torn on this one. Having recently watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, another film directed by Mamoru Hosoda, the quality consistency in Summer Wars is all over the place. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was generally very good throughout the film, I don't recall any truly weak spots in the film that bring it down. Summers War on the other hand, ranges from fucking excellent to pretty cheesy. For the former, you've got this great dynamic between Kenji, Natsuki and her family. Though the level-headed-head-honcho-of-the-family archetype is nothing new, I think the grandma was one of the best portrayals of it yet and
I was genuinely choked up when she passed away
. But when things start happening in Oz, the movie takes nose dive. I know one of the messages of the film is about the dangers of technology and centralized systems but ehhh, the fate of world rests
in a game of Koi-Koi
? Then you've got the other presumptions this movie makes about technology that makes it feel in line with a Hollywood cyber-crime-thriller. Though a good portion of the Oz stuff brings down the integrity of the movie down a bit, I feel it doesn't hinder the overall message and themes of the film; the result of a very efficient script. Summers War is a good film and certainly one I would want in my collection but if I had to choose between the two Hosoda films, I'd have to give a slight edge to The Girl Leapt Through Time. Summer Wars gets a 3 out of 4.

I prefer TGWLTT more than SW too. I just didn't like SW as much, not sure why. Maybe it was the suspension of disbelief from the internet/OZ stuff, I dunno.

I've heard of you guys comparing SW to Hosoda's past Digimon movie due to its similar themes. Should I watch it even though I know little about the Digimon universe?

I suppose I might actually recommend Summer Wars to others purely because a number of people have mentioned that they enjoyed it, but not because I actually care for it. Kind of like how I'd recommend that people check out Haurhi even though I am not a big fan of that either.

Didn't you also recommend E7 even though you didn't particularly like it as much as others too?

Is troll the new buzzword or something?

At any rate, I get the hint that I'm not welcome, so I'll just mosey along. Sorry to have bothered you with my trolling!

Different voices fosters good discussion. You should stay, unless you don't like to be here yourself.

Eiken

Now that was bad anime. In fact, it was pretty much the distillation of everything bad in anime. It only falls short in the fetishes it failed to include.

Why are you putting yourself through the pains of Mars of Destruction and Eiken?

No matter what any one says, I will see this and enjoy the hell out of it.

No. My interest was piqued by one of wonzo's gifs and I watched it dubbed.

Curiosity killed my cat.

Kuroko's Basketball 3-4

Great episodes full of basket play and almost all of it looked really good, which is pretty important to me in an animated adaption of a sport manga.

Really? My only gripe so far is that there hasn't been enough animated basket plays. I haven't watched episode 4 though. Everything else is good though, I really like Kuroko's Basketball.

Kuroko's Basketball 3-4

Great episodes full of basket play and almost all of it looked really good, which is pretty important to me in an animated adaption of a sport manga.

stuff looks 'alright' for a sports show. Stuff needs more frames of animation. That ball needs more frames of animation.

Andrew J.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 29

Two consecutive episodes about Juri and Shiori (and Ruka,
although we won't be seeing him again
). Don't know what Juri sees in Shiori, she's really selfish and paranoid.

stuff looks 'alright' for a sports show. Stuff needs more frames of animation. That ball needs more frames of animation.

Really? Only animation issue I have is the CG net? Otherwise, the ball stuff seems at least above average for the other sports anime as of late, and the graphics do look great for the action that matters for episode 4
passing effects and the boost speed up effect for Kise

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Nazo no Kanojo X 4

"Ahhhhhhhh"

Bwahahaha.

The new characters introduced to the mix are fun. And... Wait, what?
They sure are suggesting that we should start creating relationship systems based on drool exchange, huh?

Things are getting increasingly bizarre... And interesting.

And in the preview,
dayum, Urabe, where were you hiding those?

wonzo

Banned
Why are you putting yourself through the pains of Mars of Destruction and Eiken?
but there's nothing painful about watching Mars of Destruction

Watch Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game. Better movie.
realtalk

What makes you think this is going to end in 9 episodes?
I read somewhere it was confirmed for 26 episodes. hopefully it was wrong though as I don't want it to ever end

Ultimadrago

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage 7 (Ep. 19)

WuQIG.jpg

Festivus for the rest of us!

1 year anniversary since getting kidnapped! Get the wine!

So, this comes off as a chemistry building episode. Revy and Rock travel to Japan on business with Balalaika. The negotiations go off with a "bang" in success and Revy and Rock retreat from the meeting area.

Their taxi drives by a traditional festival and she feels like it would be fun, so they stop by. Here is where a bit of relationship bonds thicken between Revy and Rock as she asks him about his family and the suggestion of dropping by to greet them. All the while, reminiscing of her lack (or non-ideal life) of a family. Rock states that he is fine just considering the crew as family.

I'll take this line to say, Revy's Engrish cursing and one-liners are cute as a button.

Haha! So much Engrish in this episode. Delicious!

Then Revy has a fun scene showing some kids her shooting skills while Rock visits home
and no one is there.

This Revy-Rock episode wasn't bad. The important detail is that it came around at all! Ever since the "delivery" episode we haven't had time to see these characters grow their bond with each other on a personal level (at least not with as much time invested).

This showed that Rock has learned to appreciate the Lagoon crew on some under-detailed level. While Revy, even with her lack of a blood family, understands the importance of the concept while she constantly pushes Rock to go visit his own.

It seems that she wants the best for him and believes that the best way to display that is to push him out the nest back to his own nest. However, this baby bird won't budge.

Andrew J.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 30

Ikuhara was in foot-fetish mode this episode. Even the shadow play girls got in on it.

Your fiancee's mother!?
Fuck's sake, Akio!

Narag

Space Brothers 5

Behold your new overlord: Apo!

63Hyh.jpg

IPtwN.jpg

Nanba/Mutta sibling interaction was as fulfilling as I'd hoped. The scenes of them in their youth were so spot on. I need to stop fighting it and embrace the misty eyed wistfulness this show evokes from me.

Preview has me riled though. I figured the headbutting thing would come back to bite Mutta but not so soon.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Revolutionary Girl Utena 30

Ikuhara was in foot-fetish mode this episode. Even the shadow play girls got in on it.

Your fiancee's mother!?
Fuck's sake, Akio!

Akio is animes biggest pimp. Just being in the show makes a character part of his harem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom