• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
She was derpy!

But I don't see what' wrong it with the picture (maybe the JPEG artefacts)
For me it just seems like the background is this constructed and detailed world and the characters are of a lower detail that looks like it's from something else entirely. It isn't super noticeable or jarring, it just feels off.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The setting is integral to the plot in that the Johnson Space Center, where NASA trains astronauts, is in Houston. There's nowhere else they could have set it and still been mildly realistic.
No, I mean, there's no reason why they couldn't have just replaced that Hotdog sign with whatever the Japanese equivalent of "hotdog" is supposed to be. Hell, they could just say there's a "little Tokyo" in Houston in 2025 and just have them go there. Emma and Croisee depend on place - so the authors have to do research and make sure that their version of England/Paris is at least believable. I'm assuming the details for future Houston are not as important.

Why are you being mean to Mutta and Space Pug, firehawk?

They try. ;(
Do or do not, there is no try!

Jarmel

Banned
They were both garbage human beings.

Code Geass is a show about horrible people, doing horrible things to each other.

Atleast Lelouch knew he was flawed and even then his goals were somewhat sane compared to the rest of the cast.

Everyone has their unique view of things, and I may understand where you are coming from,
but by the final episode I believe this to be true
, by the terms of the series characters.

Suzaku was a hypocritical shit-bag for most of the anime who thought he was better than everybody else. Lelouch stopped people much crazier than himself and didn't go power crazy at the end and made the world a better place. Lelouch was very much a tragic anti-hero.

That's not Fate Zero at all.

There are probably three people in the entire cast that I would define as a decent human being. Iri, Saber, and Waver(to an extent). They're not a great bunch either.

Edit: I also forgot Berserker's master.

Ultimadrago

AKB0048 1

-Shaky cam segments

- Idol CG beyond your wildest dreams

-Mechas

-Papa no baka!

-Pedo soldiers

-Illogical smoke bombs

-Taser wands

-Bubblegum hair

- aitakatta...aitakatta...aitakatta...YES!

-Colorful little girls in a faux Fallout environment

All this and more in the suffer anime of the season!

I will watch this to the end!

Code Geass: Season 1 & R2
I could probably go on for paragraphs, but I will try to summarize the best I can. Lelouch was the perfect villian, Suzaku a good hero, and Kallen was relied on a bit too much even though she was probably my favorite character other than Jeremiah and Lloyd, the Earl of Pudding.
Suzaku a hero? I wasn't aware heroes collaborated with oppressive governments and helped said government kill and suppress local independence movements and also conquer other nations. The guy is basically a war criminal. The way he was written makes him a pretty a loathsome character. Lelouch isn't a "good person," but he's at least rational and sometimes sympathetic.

No, I mean, there's no reason why they couldn't have just replaced that Hotdog sign with whatever the Japanese equivalent of "hotdog" is supposed to be. Hell, they could just say there's a "little Tokyo" in Houston in 2025 and just have them go there. Emma and Croisee depend on place - so the authors have to do research and make sure that their version of England/Paris is at least believable. I'm assuming the details for future Houston are not as important.

Well, the story wants to get across to its Japanese audience that Mutta is no longer in Japan, and throwing written Japanese up on the store signs or having a "little Tokyo" would have the potential to be confusing. Seeing English is an easy way to establish that the characters are currently in America, even if it isn't English that would actually be used here.

Also the team did do at least some research on Houston:

Super Brothers Galaxy 05

The rendition of downtown Houston was about as accurate as one could expect considering the budget. Even the bus designs were very loyal. I am not particularly attached to the city, but living here I appreciated the effort the animators took to make it resemble the real thing.

cajunator

Banned
AKB0048 1

-Shaky cam segments

- Idol CG beyond your wildest dreams

-Mechas

-Papa no baka!

-Pedo soldiers

-Illogical smoke bombs

-Taser wands

-Bubblegum hair

- aitakatta...aitakatta...aitakatta...YES!

-Colorful little girls in a faux Fallout environment

All this and more in the suffer anime of the season!

I will watch this to the end!

Welp. I'm on board.
Sounds like famous last words doesn't it?

That's not Fate Zero at all.

Oh but it is. Unless you liked characters like Casters master, any servant except Rider and Saber, and any other character who isnt Irisviel or Waver.

Suzaku a hero? I wasn't aware heroes collaborated with oppressive governments and helped said government kill and suppress local independence movements and also conquer other nations. The guy is basically a war criminal.
He just wanted to change the system from the inside. /sarcasm Suzaku was full of shit.

Jarmel

Banned
Suzaku a hero? I wasn't aware heroes collaborated with oppressive governments and helped said government kill and suppress local independence movements and also conquer other nations. The guy is basically a war criminal.

Don't forget all the while thinking he's helping his country and believes he's taking the moral high-road.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Welp. I'm on board.
Sounds like famous last words doesn't it?

Oh but it is. Unless you liked characters like Casters master, any servant except Rider and Saber, and any other character who isnt Irisviel or Waver.
Saber is the worst type of person.

Trying to read the light novel and watch the Disappearance movie has become quite the challenge during the first fifteen minutes. I think I will just enjoy the movie for what it is worth, separate from the novel.

As for the Code Geass discussion, everyone has a unique perspective on things. If I have learned anything about any internet forum, it is that arguing never gets anywhere. I enjoyed this series while others may agree or disagree. I simply enjoy receiving feedback to my opinions, positive or negative.

survivor

Banned
Suzaku a hero? I wasn't aware heroes collaborated with oppressive governments and helped said government kill and suppress local independence movements and also conquer other nations. The guy is basically a war criminal. The way he was written makes him a pretty a loathsome character. Lelouch isn't a "good person," but he's at least rational and sometimes sympathetic.

Sums up my feelings pretty well about the 2 main Code Geass characters. Suzaku is a scum that should have died the moment he was introduced.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, the story wants to get across to its Japanese audience that Mutta is no longer in Japan, and throwing written Japanese up on the store signs or having a "little Tokyo" would have the potential to be confusing. Seeing English is an easy way to establish that the characters are currently in America, even if it isn't English that would actually be used here.

Also the team did do at least some research on Houston:
If only they put that effort into the English as well then!

No, but it was a bit odd how the note is in English and it's mentioned that the character isn't great at English, but he's having conversations with Americans in "Japanese." The inconsistency is a bit jarring. Don't make me think about the language issue if you are going to do that, just make everything in Japanese and make me assume they are using English, the note messes that up.

He might just have a thick accent or something. I mean even if Hibito's spelling or grammar aren't perfect, there are far more important skills required to be an astronaut (I assume).

Suzaku's ideals was to reform the empire from within. It sounded really naive, especially if the system is run by a monarch. He would have to overthrow the king to change the laws lol. Lelouch's approach was more realistic of achieving his goals.
Suzaku only a hero to the Britannians, but a traitor to area 11.

? How does that analogy make sense?

What does the quality of Geass have to do with the working conditions in Sunrise anyway?
I misunderstood your post.

My point was that Sunrise isn't a good studio to work for if you want creative freedom. I realize that wasn't clear from my original post.

zeroshiki

Suzaku's ideals was to reform the empire from within. It sounded really naive, especially if the system is run by a monarch. He would have to overthrow the king to change the laws lol. Lelouch's approach was more realistic of achieving his goals.
Suzaku only a hero to the Britannians, but a traitor to area 11.

Suzaku is a total moron but he had a plan. By becoming the Knight of One he could "liberate" Area 11.

cajunator

Banned
Yami comes to its fateful conclusion and confuses the fuck out of the audience 13

So
Eve is back in the library with Lilith.

she mocks Liliths suffering and gets slapped the fuck down.
FOREHEAD FOREHEAD FOREHEAD FOREHEAD FOREHEAD FOREHEAD FOREHEAD FOREHEAD

There's a me who watched Yami, and a me that didn't. There's a me that is suffering. There's a me that isn't.

Yes, Hatsumi, your pancakes SUCK. They ruin people's lives. you should stop making them.

B-but Hazuki liked them! Well that's because-

Oh I see this is a flashback to the night Hatsumi disappeared.
"If I open this door something terrible will happen. Im sure of it"
*opens the door

YUUUUURIIIIIIII

WHO MADE THESE MYSTERIOUS PANCAKES?

OH SHIT
SHE'S REALLY PREGNANT!

Meanwhile in the library, Eve and Lilith plan to go out adventuring in the books together.
Then without explaining anything, ROLL CREDITS!

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Oh wait there's something at the end....oh shit.
SHE REALLY IS GOING TO BE BORN AS HAZUKI'S BABY!!!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU *head explodes

Suzaku is a total moron but he had a plan. By becoming the Knight of One he could "liberate" Area 11.

Becoming the knight of "One" was unrealistic to say the least ..by the time he reached that goal , how many decades would have passed ... and how could he change the area 11 on the long term properly so that the next one i charge won't just destroy what he tried to do ??

Seriously , except naivety suzaku had no plans

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
REVOLUTIONARY PRECURE HIBIKI
Suite Precure 1

Pi0bh.jpg

SWORD OF DIOS

nO6gJ.jpg

GRANT ME THE POWER

I've heard this Precure series is one of the not so good ones, but I really enjoyed this first episode. Hibiki and Kanade, I don't even need goggles for this one. Double tsundere couples are so cute~.
Tsuuuuuuun~

Anyway, I like the idea of a music based world, even if some of the outfits and characters are a little strange.

suap7.jpg

w7Zt3.jpg

At least the Queen's got attitude, you don't often see that!

And Hummy is so fucking annoying already, and Toei caved in and just made the fairies be cats, so lazy.

sJmug.jpg

K2ZjY.jpg

FUCKING TOEI

That aside, it's nice to have a precure series where the leads "dislike" each other, although I do see some potential for this to get bogged down in angst. The monster transformation was pretty awesome, even if the monster designs is rather standard. At least it's better than the fucking clowns from Smile.

So I thought the setting was quite good, and the characters are reasonably interesting, especially for the first episode of a Toei series, so I think I'll keep watching this. I can't really judge the animation yet, since there wasn't an actual fight in this episode! Apart from Hibiki's and Kanade's lover's quarrel~

Edit: Damn that's some shitty jpeg compression

zeroshiki

Becoming the knight of "One" was unrealistic to say the least ..by the time he reached that goal , how many decades would have passed ... and how could he change the area 11 on the long term properly so that the next one i charge won't just destroy what he tried to do ??

Seriously , except naivety suzaku had no plans

Oh I never said it was a good plan. Just that he had one.

Hyouka 2
tumblr_m39pfpcXUf1qk8xrso1_500.gif

I thought this last episode and I think this episode reaffirmed my thoughts, Chitanda is pretty annoying. I can't see anything in her at all, apart from the eye affect. Oreki is handling her pretty well though and manages to keep scenes with just him and her to be interesting. I think Satoshi does a better job of sparking life in the group and keeping Oreki moving forward. It's pretty funny how he manages to get Oreki to do all these things. Still baffled and enjoy how
these fake mysteries seem to always end up being actual ones, I thought they were just Satoshi's tricks to get Oreki to expend time and energy but actual solving them is cool.

Style and animation effects during the scenes was nice and OP looks great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
REVOLUTIONARY PRECURE HIBIKI
That aside, it's nice to have a precure series where the leads "dislike" each other, although I do see some potential for this to get bogged down in angst. The monster transformation was pretty awesome, even if the monster designs is rather standard. At least it's better than the fucking clowns from Smile.
They sort of hate each other in the beginning of Heartcatch as well, don't they?

Soma

Hyouka Episode 02

Alright I think I'm warming up to the everyday mysteries dynamic. I think the main reason for that is the attention to detail in how they convey these concepts. The show takes a mundane mystery with a simple resolution and manage to make it interesting. The character interactions are really great to watch (Satoshi being a total bro with Houtarou, Eru getting excited when the prospect of a new mystery is brought up to name a few) and the show is just damn good to look at in general. I'm not gonna lie though, the first 8-9 minutes of this episode were pretty dull.

I think this was one of my favorite scenes in this episode:

I like how it captured that feeling of separateness in Houtarou's point of view. I actually like how the show conveys what goes on in his head and how dramatic it is in context to everything else happening in real life. I really do enjoy his character as well. His stubbornness of not wanting to exert more than what he wants to and him trying to play it cool when a lot of the time he realizes it's futile with Eru around. I find the relationship between them interesting.

So I dunno, I guess you could say I'm enjoying this show so far. I'm not sure how well this concept would do if any other studio had worked on it.

Jarmel

Banned
Hyouka 2-

Mayaka does make the group dynamic relatively interesting. Her banter with Oreki is somewhat amusing. I liked how Oreki kept trying to get out and Chitanda was having none of it. I hate people like Chitanda in real life so I understand Oreki's perspective fairly well. I'm still waiting for the 'catch' of the show which we might get next episode.

The mysteries are so bland that I keep overreading into them thinking they're more complicated than they actually are. I also can't be forced to care about any of them as the premise of any of them aren't exciting.

The background art in this show is beyond fantastic and the animation is all around gorgeous. They also do a fantastic job using the visuals to convey his annoyance as well as his mindset in general.

Ultimadrago

Hyouka 2

ixYZS.jpg

A superior specimen has arrived!

Visuals still solid. I liked the old scroll/paper filter used for the
"camera" recording those who borrow the big book.
The visuals used for brainstorming are also a decent treat for the eyes.

However, the content of the "plot" and characterization still keeps me with a straight face.

Anyways, Eru still gets soggy over stupid potential mysteries. Our main man is still always looking as bored as I am when watching. Hoping the new girl, Ibara, will add some needed flavor to the cast. Unfortunately, she didn't really, but she's a counterbalance to doe-eyed Eru, so that's a start.

I'll keep watching, though a show of character or mystery that can get me actually invested in the show would be nice.

f0EeH.jpg

Pretty much.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nagisa and Honoka in the first Precure start out in a "strictly business" relationship that eventually leads to them fiercely chewing each other out and then later reconciling and becoming actual friends.

It was mostly Nagisa being a bitch, though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka 02
It's okay I guess. The ED made me wish the show was more interesting visually. Like the main character the story mostly just had me wanting to walk away from what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom