• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Bros 5

I really don't get the use of language in this show. Are they speaking English? Japanese? Both? I know you can't do a show about space travel without either setting it in America or China, but I think there should be some indication of what language they're speaking so that it doesn't seem unnatural. Even a "Mr. and Mrs Smith, your Japanese is excellent" would be helpful. Although that doesn't explain why the kids playing in the park would would Japanese... but eh.

A8xHal.png

Ve7L8l.png

Then there's stuff like that... which might be on purpose because one of the errors is pointed out, but not the others. So I suppose either they're bad students, they're Aunt was a bad teacher, or this is just acceptable English in Japan.

I know this is such nitpicky bullshit, but if a show is supposed to invoke some sense of verisimilitude (ie, they're actually in America and in 2025, Americans have not adopted Japanese as an official language), then asking for a little more effort (I hear there are people in Japan who localize Japanese games into English that they could probably hire, for example) isn't that unreasonable.

Of course, the reality is that this show isn't for a foreign audience and the typical Japanese viewer probably doesn't give a shit. But it'd be nice if they went the extra mile to make something perfect or at least internally consistent for the people who might notice these things.

Phi Brain 2 ep 4
tumblr_m39ln466An1qb9i9c.png

I like the names that everyone in the Orpheus Order has, Klondike-sama, Hoist, Melancholy, Freecell, Doubt, etc. This episode greatly made me forget about last week's, fun and somewhat intense. OP is really addicting.
Puzzle play was fun even if it was really simple. A shame Jikugawa had to miss out just because he has no potential to be a phi brain.

On the preview
Gammon just cant ever align himself on Kaito's side wholly

Space Bros 5

I really don't get the use of language in this show. Are they speaking English? Japanese? Both? I know you can't do a show about space travel without either setting it in America or China, but I think there should be some indication of what language they're speaking so that it doesn't seem unnatural. Even a "Mr. and Mrs Smith, your Japanese is excellent" would be helpful. Although that doesn't explain why the kids playing in the park would would Japanese... but eh.

Then there's stuff like that... which might be on purpose because one of the errors is pointed out, but not the others. So I suppose either they're bad students, they're Aunt was a bad teacher, or this is just acceptable English in Japan.

I know this is such nitpicky bullshit, but if a show is supposed to invoke some sense of verisimilitude (ie, they're actually in America and in 2025, Americans have not adopted Japanese as an official language), then asking for a little more effort (I hear there are people in Japan who localize Japanese games into English that they could probably hire, for example) isn't that unreasonable.

Of course, the reality is that this show isn't for a foreign audience and the typical Japanese viewer probably doesn't give a shit. But it'd be nice if they went the extra mile to make something perfect or at least internally consistent for the people who might notice these things.

So should any Japanese show taking place in America only have English as the voice acted language?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So should any Japanese show taking place in America only have English as the voice acted language?
It's weird when they acknowledge learning English and bring it up during the episode but everyone in Houston speaks Japanese.

Space Bros 5

Do you really want entire episodes of people speaking Engrish? Really?

I mean, it's pretty obvious that everyone in America is supposed to be speaking English, and they're being translated for the benefit of viewers at home. It's not like the manga wrote all the dialogue in English for these chapters. I don't see how expecting them to find and hire not only a bunch of English translators but a bunch of competent English voice actors for a kids' TV show is reasonable.

I'd hate to see how much you'd freak out at Master Keaton.

No, but it was a bit odd how the note is in English and it's mentioned that the character isn't great at English, but he's having conversations with Americans in "Japanese." The inconsistency is a bit jarring. Don't make me think about the language issue if you are going to do that, just make everything in Japanese and make me assume they are using English, the note messes that up.

Code Geass R2 24

Lelouch and Suzaku finally stop Schneizel's plan with the Damocles. I almost feel bad for Kanon being caught up with Schneizel and Diethard in the end. Schneizel shall forever be a puppet for Zero being the tool that he was.

Oh Nunnally, you were able to overcome Charles's geass! I feel this was vital for Lelouch to finally be able to use his geass on her, but seeing as she was blind previously Lelouch could have easily taken the F.L.E.I.J.A. key with little effort.

Even after three previous viewings, I am not and may never be ready for the end of this amazing series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's weird when they acknowledge learning English and bring it up during the episode but everyone in Houston speaks Japanese.
Yeah. It's just asking a little bit too much of me. I mean, Eden of the East had some horrible Engrish as well in the parts of the franchise that was set in America, but it didn't really bother me as I was watching it.

I don't know if there's an easy solution since I'm sure that they're more interested in spending what little money they have satisfying the sakuga people. I suppose in the Space Bros manga, all the author had to do was make it clear that they were speaking one language while keeping everything Japanese for the sake of readability. That solution is hacky on TV though.

No, but it was a bit odd how the note is in English and it's mentioned that the character isn't great at English, but he's having conversations with Americans in "Japanese." The inconsistency is a bit jarring. Don't make me think about the language issue if you are going to do that, just make everything in Japanese and make me assume they are using English, the note messes that up.
Yeah, just take out the notes altogether. Again, I know that this is an issue only for foreigners, since I assume most Japanese viewers are as literate in English as the animators who wrote those notes... but it's still bothersome to me.

Do you really want entire episodes of people speaking Engrish? Really?

I mean, it's pretty obvious that everyone in America is supposed to be speaking English, and they're being translated for the benefit of viewers at home. It's not like the manga wrote all the dialogue in English for these chapters. I don't see how expecting them to find and hire not only a bunch of English translators but a bunch of competent English voice actors for a kids' TV show is reasonable.

I'd hate to see how much you'd freak out at Master Keaton.
I look at it this way. Emma: A Victorian Romance is a show that is set in England during the 18th century. But they all speak Japanese and there was not a single minute where I was bothered by it. Ikoku Meiro no Croisée was set in Paris, and while there were some parts where the use of English for French bothered me, for the most part it was also internally consistent.

That's really all that I'm asking for, really.

(Well, yes, in an ideal world, they'd get English voice actors for the scenes in America - but I know that's impossible)

Ultimadrago

Yeah. It's just asking a little bit too much of me. I mean, Eden of the East had some horrible Engrish as well in the parts of the franchise that was set in America, but it didn't really bother me as I was watching it.

Not to get you off topic, but how is Eden of the East?

Makoto

Space Bros 5

I'm glad this was brought up as I thought about it as well after watching episode four. All I could do was come to conclusion that if there is ever an English dub for this show, viewers will have some kind of unconventional option of choosing Japanese audio but w/ English voices for the American characters. That brings up other questions of course, like redoing the brothers' voices to have accents when conversing with American characters, but I don't think they're going to give viewers the aforementioned option anyway so w/e.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Garzey's Wing (dub):

I'm empty now. Totally empty. It's lonely at the top. Even lonelier at the bottom. The true face of humanity is terrible and grotesque and beautiful and magnificent. Our lives come and go, but Garzey's Wing is forever; an eternal monument to suffering and joy.

Black Lion (dub):

It was like watching a mountain explode and give birth to the planets.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
With so much distance from the show, I'm not sure anymore. I remember enjoying the two movies more than most of GAF and the distinguished critics at ANN and CD though.

If you approach the show as a "Welcome to the NHK"-ish examination of the "lost generation" in Japan, I think it's an interesting science fiction allegory of that particular issue. On a macro-scale, it deals with that by directly attacking NEETs and on a micro-scale, you can see it explored through the main characters.

On that level, I definitely enjoyed it. If you're into "thinky" science fiction, you might like it too.

Shiba Inuko 5

Shiba just can't catch a break. :(
Between pedo boy, dog girl and ronin living in an apartment complex, 3 minute anime is tearing it up! (?)

I'm glad this was brought up as I thought about it as well after watching episode four. All I could do was come to conclusion that if there is ever an English dub for this show, viewers will have some kind of unconventional option of choosing Japanese audio but w/ English voices for the American characters. That brings up other questions of course, like redoing the brothers' voices to have accents when conversing with American characters, but I don't think they're going to give viewers the aforementioned option anyway so w/e.
Heh, you know, if someone here actually picked this show up and decided to dub it, it would be great if they had a "third option" where they would mix both the English and Japanese tracks together to create a "consistent" track. I doubt the show will get picked up though... and even if it did, I assume some weird rights issue would prevent them from doing anything like that.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon 29
fkoY5.jpg

so kawaii~

Makoto really doesn't give a fuck
about all the poor girls she wants to NTR.

qmpqh.jpg

The reality. Poor Makoto will never find her true love. :(

I still like Rei the best, but Makoto is beginning to tug at my haato. She's just so loveable, and tries so hard. :(

Of course, the news
that Motoki has a girlfriend hits Usagi hard as well.

Her dreams of a harem are being shattered. :(

ai2r8.jpg

No context for this image will be provided

Anyway, on the topic of Usagi, she's been turning into more of a moeblob recently.

Oh yeah, the episode itself was also about
another of the 7 youma. Silly girl, she should know long distance relationships never work, that's just like asking Makoto to steal Motoki from her.

eeLzf.jpg

Some these character designs bring to mind Umakoshi's style a lot

Anyway, Luna has been getting a bit more focus as well, I wonder where this could be leading to.
One of the funniest episodes in the series, that's what! More on that tomorrow, I'm tired right now. :(

>_>

Code Geass: Season 1 & R2

This series is probably the anime that got me into anime back during its Adult Swim run. The first season has the combat and introduction and R2 has the back-story and somewhat open-ended conclusion.

I could probably go on for paragraphs, but I will try to summarize the best I can. Lelouch was the perfect villian, Suzaku a good hero, and Kallen was relied on a bit too much even though she was probably my favorite character other than Jeremiah and Lloyd, the Earl of Pudding.

In the end I feel that Lelouch was successful in his plan to change the world into a better place, but this is based off of the small timeframe during which Kallen narrates. It is a shame that only a few people truly know Lelouch's true motive in a positive light. More conflict could easily arise, and is highly likely taking in mind the unknown story of Akito the Exiled.

Andrew J.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 39 END

The Rose Gate sequence strongly reminded me of the Gate of Truth in FMA. There's no way Hiromu Arakawa hasn't seen this.

It's so gratifying seeing Akio completely flustered, first by Utena and then Anthy.

Anthy's so :cajun wearing a beret.

I'll watch the movie tomorrow.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Code Geass R2 24

Lelouch and Suzaku finally stop Schneizel's plan with the Damocles. I almost feel bad for Kanon being caught up with Schneizel and Diethard in the end. Schneizel shall forever be a puppet for Zero being the tool that he was.

Oh Nunnally, you were able to overcome Charles's geass! I feel this was vital for Lelouch to finally be able to use his geass on her, but seeing as she was blind previously Lelouch could have easily taken the F.L.E.I.J.A. key with little effort.

Even after three previous viewings, I am not and may never be ready for the end of this amazing series.

Finish it NOW!

--

EDIT: I see you have

Ultimadrago

With so much distance from the show, I'm not sure anymore. I remember enjoying the two movies more than most of GAF and the distinguished critics at ANN and CD though.

If you approach the show as a "Welcome to the NHK"-ish examination of the "lost generation" in Japan, I think it's an interesting science fiction allegory of that particular issue. On a macro-scale, it deals with that by directly attacking NEETs and on a micro-scale, you can see it explored through the main characters.

On that level, I definitely enjoyed it. If you're into "thinky" science fiction, you might like it too.

Eden of the East was good.

The characters were good and the story was interesting enough to make you keep watching but the way it progressed and the ending were kinda disappointing.

Awww, I don't like to think too much! But the main girl looks adowable.

Seriously, sounds fair enough. I'll check it out.

Yeah, just take out the notes altogether. Again, I know that this is an issue only for foreigners, since I assume most Japanese viewers are as literate in English as the animators who wrote those notes... but it's still bothersome to me.

I'll just point out here that those notes were actually written by the mangaka, not the animators (except for the unfortunate mispelling of "fridge"):

FNDmi.jpg

Hyouka 02
NDPC1.gif

Who? Eru is pretty much the main character now.
That was a fun episode. I liked the mystery of the week and I guess the bigger mystery of the show or whatever. The music was good, added to the atmosphere. I'm amused by the cute and wonky graphics they are using to explain stuff. New girl is fun to snipe at whatshisface MC and I'm liking the whole cast as it is.

Andrew J.

Space Bros 5

I really don't get the use of language in this show. Are they speaking English? Japanese? Both?

It's called the "translation convention."

IAll I could do was come to conclusion that if there is ever an English dub for this show, viewers will have some kind of unconventional option of choosing Japanese audio but w/ English voices for the American characters.

I've always thought something like that would be neat for Code Geass. Most of the characters must necessarily be fluent in both Japanese and English and switch between them depending on the context.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll just point out here that those notes were actually written by the mangaka, not the animators (except for the unfortunate mispelling of "fridge"):

FNDmi.jpg

Well, someone somewhere should have gotten some help with that. Perhaps if the notes were perfect, you could just assume that the Bros were fluent in English and had no problems communicating with the Americans without being distracted by these details.

Ultimadrago

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage 9 (Ep. 21)

izUm8.jpg

Damn, they are stuffing in the Balalaika these days.

So we are filled in on some of her past as a child and within the fumes of battle. She sees it as the first stepping stone to the journey of militant excellence her comrades continue on now. This is much more set in a much more engaging than some of Revy's past nibblets thus far (sans the submarine).

The scene unfortunately switches to dull Yukio as ugly CG cars drive up to her usual space at the library.

8RQ27.jpg

Serious business

It's her bodyguard preparing for war. Yukio's friend, seeing these shenanigans pisses her pants, etc.

Anyways, liking the odds for this battle. Some car full of Yakuza versus an ex.Soviet Unon infantry led by one of the most dangerous figures on the show yet...lookin' good ,Yakuza!
Their trump card, however, seems to be Big Gin who is ready to fight for the little misses as she personifies "justice" as her father once did. Eh, makes sense I guess. When the Yakuza make their first stop, we are shown his hidden swordsman skills. The editing for this scene is standard, but it's always nice to see
stabstabstabstabstab

So we switch to Rock and an annoying detail comes around. Rock is STILL trying to act like the hero.
He has learned about Revy's views on traditional morals, he has seen children who were forced into dire situations get shot down for the result they've become and he has been living in a modern day Nazareth for a year now.
Yet, he is howling over Yukio. This characterization has taken us backwards with Rock, not forwards. It also adds that Rock has learned little to nothing about specific lives/societies outside an office with all that time.

What the hell, Rock. What the hell.

So after Rock annoys me with that display in his ugly CG taxi, Yukio returns home to see the guy that the Yakuza should have killed ages ago for recklessness
kill off her most loyal compadre.
Then beat the shit out of her.

Q7Ad8.jpg

Then the guy that beat the shit out of her gets the shit beat out of him!

Never ruin
ransom
goods. Revy Engrish, yadda, yadda. Rock poking his nose in business he has no say in, yadda, yadda.

Well, at least this episode was better than the last. I got some Balalaika past (though too little), got some bloodshed and impaling. However, Rock is getting to be an annoyance. If he had tackled this issue at a stance showing that he understands the underworld, but feels that Balalaika is going too far; I might've found this act bearable. However, it is just stagnating his character when this series is almost done.

Some action next time, hope it picks up for some of the disappointment in character development.

This series is probably the anime that got me into anime back during its Adult Swim run. The first season has the combat and introduction and R2 has the back-story and somewhat open-ended conclusion.

I could probably go on for paragraphs, but I will try to summarize the best I can. Lelouch was the perfect villian, Suzaku a good hero, and Kallen was relied on a bit too much even though she was probably my favorite character other than Jeremiah and Lloyd, the Earl of Pudding.

In the end I feel that Lelouch was successful in his plan to change the world into a better place, but this is based off of the small timeframe during which Kallen narrates. It is a shame that only a few people truly know Lelouch's true motive in a positive light. More conflict could easily arise, and is highly likely taking in mind the unknown story of Akito the Exiled.

Sunrise constantly teased us with Kallen. It was painful at times.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Hyouka 02
http://i.imgur.com/NDPC1.gif[/IM G]
Who? Eru is pretty much the main character now.
That was a fun episode. I liked the mystery of the week and I guess the bigger mystery of the show or whatever. The music was good, added to the atmosphere. I'm amused by the cute and wonky graphics they are using to explain stuff. New girl is fun to snipe at whatshisface MC and I'm liking the whole cast as it is.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'll give it a try

Because watching over twenty hours of Code Geass was not enough, I will finish the weekend watching The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya while trying to also follow along with the light novel. Hopefully I will not regret this decision to spend my entire weekend before finals watching anime...

Jarmel

Banned

Wait what?? Lelouch wasn't a villain and Suzaku wasn't anything but a shit human being.

cajunator

Banned

Eden of the East is a fun show but it kind of loses track of the plot in the middle of it.

Space Bros 5

harumph.

Well, someone somewhere should have gotten some help with that. Perhaps if the notes were perfect, you could just assume that the Bros were fluent in English and had no problems communicating with the Americans without being distracted by these details.

That is what I assumed while watching it. As great as it would be to have grammatically correct written English in my anime, I've long since accepted that no one in Japan cares about that. Thus I can recognize and chuckle at their mangling of the language without being distracted or bothered by it. That's just how their culture is.

(And as far as the episode goes, don't forget that hotdog stand "DOG YOU". That's a more problematic bit of Engrish than the notes.)

Hyouka - 02

Great animations and backgrounds. And Ritsu's brother is perfect bro material. But the other characters and the mysteries are so forgettable. I don't say it's bad or something but only the technical aspects of the show are outstanding.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know, I've pointed out two examples where it works almost flawlessly. Space Bros just fails at it unfortunately.

That is what I assumed while watching it. As great as it would be to have grammatically correct written English in my anime, I've long since accepted that no one in Japan cares about that. Thus I can recognize and chuckle at their mangling of the language without being distracted or bothered by it. That's just how their culture is.

(And as far as the episode goes, don't forget that hotdog stand "DOG YOU". That's a more problematic bit of Engrish than the notes.)
If the setting is just a plot device and not integral to the show at all (as far as I know, Space Bros isn't about Houston porn), they should just use Japanese for everything and just call it a day. lol

yes

and also the ones taking place in other places too

if you'll excuse me i have to go wait for the dub release of years old series and episodes to happen so i can watch them, then maybe post about them here but probably not

Wait what?? Lelouch wasn't a villain and Suzaku wasn't anything but a shit human being.

Everyone has their unique view of things, and I may understand where you are coming from,
but by the final episode I believe this to be true
, by the terms of the series characters.

Aquarion Evol 18
ibkhZF40qSC6fZ.gif

Apart from the fun battle and a few character development moments (cayenne), I thought it was an emotional episode
Andy still down in the dumps is distressing and by the end there, I was teary eyed (he lost Mix to the abductors which was shocking, I wouldnt have minded if it was Zessica as she was the dumb anime character of this week...but Mix? She was actually trying to make amends to the best secondary character in the anime. ugh.

If the setting is just a plot device and not integral to the show at all (as far as I know, Space Bros isn't about Houston porn), they should just use Japanese for everything and just call it a day. lol

The setting is integral to the plot in that the Johnson Space Center, where NASA trains astronauts, is in Houston. There's nowhere else they could have set it and still been mildly realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom