• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never think of magical girl shows again without imagining them in Madoka Magica world and comparing the elements of the show and how each of them will meet some horrible fate.

idjUA5eIcL4TE.gif

"What are doing with those scissors Candy? Stay back! STAY BACK!"

"I don't have fingers, so you should have fingers either-kuru~"

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
K-on wasn't about playing rock instruments, though, any more than Hyouka is about mysteries.
K-on! was about girls bonding over being a group who plays instruments together. Even if you don't think that's what K-on is about it's what binds the series together. The stuff that goes on in the show typically relates back to music in some way, and that's what carries the show's overarching plot.

The mysteries that bind Hyouka so far suffer from being contrived fabrications by the characters to create something for them to do. It is painfully banal and directionless.
The show is obviously about Houtarou learning to not be a lazy, boring bum. I didn't think that was even subtle, but I guess some people missed it.
I get that this is an aspect of what the show is trying to do, but in no way does him breaking out of his shell require the show to focus on all these incredibly boring moments. Most of this information could be presented in a more interesting way.

There is very little thought to how a story should be paced visually, because this is a by the books boring production of some wordy boring novel that should have never been turned into an anime. Look at the visual progression of the episode:
People sit around in an empty room talking about how bored they are. So they go to the library. (Scene runtime: ~2:48-~5:47) Once they get to the library they stand by the door and talk to the girl behind the desk. (Scene runtime: 5:55-~9:10) This scene is so visually boring even the cinematography doesn't really know what to do, so it kind of repeats itself from different angles (Note that the following shots are individual cuts within this one scene.)
PJksm.jpg

TyKA5.jpg

3C2Fb.jpg

So in case the content of nothing happening was interesting enough you get a lot of lazy shots of people gathering around tables. That is 95% of Hyouka 02. Following this the cast moves across the room to sit at a table. (Scene runtime: 9:12-14:13) After sitting at the table the characters move back to the front desk of the library for more talking. (Scene runtime 14:14-16:51) In case this back and forth wasn't exciting enough the characters leisurely stroll down to the
art room
for the big reveal. This scene is exceptionally short however, because walking around or getting to see art might qualify as things that are too stimulating. (Scene runtime: 16:52-18:21) Racing back to the library we get the mystery epilogue at the library front desk (Scene runtime: 18:22-21:36), a location that offers a wealth of gorgeous and varied cinematography. (Note that the following shots are individual cuts from throughout the episode.)
DxupG.jpg

X1uzs.jpg

CzNvs.jpg

I don't want to ruin the end of the episode, but it involves two characters sitting down at a table to talk. This episode has nothing going for it beyond the quality of the art. The greatest Hyouka mystery is why anyone likes it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Let me tell you a few things about Suite Precure.

For one thing, if you like Precure for what it is and didn't just enjoy Heartcatch for the Umakoshi and sakuga, you probably won't hate this. I followed Suite every week for a year, and never had a moment where I thought "wow, this outright sucks". The first half of the series is a lot stronger than the second which is pretty badly mismanaged for several reasons, but ultimately it does just about as much right as it does wrong.

About the monsters, I remember having a long conversation with Geneijin debating whether Negatones or Akanbe were worse enemies. The conclusion ended up being that Akanbe were more offensively ugly but the clown faces gelled more with the storybook theme of Smile than the Negatones with their weird pterodactyl skeletons and pelvis spikes matched the musical theme in Suite. Both Negatones and Akanbe are a downgrade from the Desertrians in Heartcatch in that the Cures merely pound enemies into submission without having to solve some greater underlying problem fueling the enemy's rampage, but if you don't mind the battles in Smile, you'll probably be okay with those in Suite. There is decidedly less comic relief in Suite's battles, however.

In case you didn't already know, Hummy's seiyuu is Mitsuishi Kotono, who voiced Usagi in Sailor Moon. It's an interesting reversal to see the world's most famous mahou shoujo become the mascot character, and even if Hummy seems annoying now, she receives a lot more character development than the average Precure mascot, so just endure for now. Interesting fact: there's an episode in the first season of Sailor Moon that heavily features cats (there was a fat green cat named Rhett Butler, if memory serves.) There's a moment in the episode when Usagi imitates a cat, and it's like hearing Hummy 20 years in advance. I'll try to find the exact scene for you!

The theme of music features heavily throughout the series as you'd probably expect, so make peace with it and learn to enjoy the more ridiculous aspects of Kanon Town and Major Land. The costume design for the Cures in Suite is actually some of my favorite in the entire franchise, and while this is an unpopular opinion, I like the transformations as much as those in Heartcatch. They're not nearly as sakuga, but they're pretty damned classy. It all comes down to whether you prefer ribbons or perfume, I suppose. Suite also has the best transformation music in the entire Precure franchise, which has a big influence on my opinion of the transformations. Admittedly, Trio the Minor are pretty hideous compared to the Desert Messengers and even Joker's subordinates and never really stop being a blemish on the show because they remain disappointingly static characters. Just try your best to find their Team Rocket-esque incompetence amusing.

Well, I've kind of talked you to death over a show that you've only seen one episode of, so I'll try not to do this again. Keep watching!

Well, I enjoyed HeartCatch and all of Smile to date, and I liked the first episode of Suite, so I probably just like this type of show over all.

Yes, the Luna-focused episode in Sailor Moon was hilarious.

Yeah, the desertrians are some of the best monsters I've seen in a magical girl show, the music monsters and clowns fucking suck compared to them.

well, I did just watch the first episode, so the show can really go in any direction from here, but I'll stick with it for a while.

Branduil

K-on! was about girls bonding over being a group who plays instruments together. Even if you don't think that's what K-on is about it's what binds the series together. The stuff that goes on in the show typically relates back to music in some way, and that's what carries the show's overarching plot.

The mysteries that bind Hyouka so far suffer from being contrived fabrications by the characters to create something for them to do. It is painfully banal and directionless.

I get that this is an aspect of what the show is trying to do, but in no way does him breaking out of his shell require the show to focus on all these incredibly boring moments. Most of this information could be presented in a more interesting way.

There is very little thought to how a story should be paced visually, because this is a by the books boring production of some wordy boring novel that should have never been turned into an anime. Look at the visual progression of the episode:
People sit around in an empty room talking about how bored they are. So they go to the library. (Scene runtime: ~2:48-~5:47) Once they get to the library they stand by the door and talk to the girl behind the desk. (Scene runtime: 5:55-~9:10) This scene is so visually boring even the cinematography doesn't really know what to do, so it kind of repeats itself from different angles (Note that the following shots are individual cuts within this one scene.)

So in case the content of nothing happening was interesting enough you get a lot of lazy shots of people gathering around tables. That is 95% of Hyouka 02. Following this the cast moves across the room to sit at a table. (Scene runtime: 9:12-14:13) After sitting at the table the characters move back to the front desk of the library for more talking. (Scene runtime 14:14-16:51) In case this back and forth wasn't exciting enough the characters leisurely stroll down to the
art room
for the big reveal. This scene is exceptionally short however, because walking around or getting to see art might qualify as things that are too stimulating. (Scene runtime: 16:52-18:21) Racing back to the library we get the mystery epilogue at the library front desk (Scene runtime: 18:22-21:36), a location that offers a wealth of gorgeous and varied cinematography. (Note that the following shots are individual cuts from throughout the episode.)

I don't want to ruin the end of the episode, but it involves two characters sitting down at a table to talk. This episode has nothing going for it beyond the quality of the art. The greatest Hyouka mystery is why anyone likes it.

Eh, I don't really think that's a fair way to analyze the visuals of a show. The animation and choice of shots work well in context. It's fine to find the show boring, but I don't feel like your screencaps really prove anything.

Solune

Poor Lancer. :(
It's ok. They'll remember... <--- *Spoilers for Fate/Zero 16
Hyouka 2 - good. I await the figures.
If Eru doesn't have those striking eyes, no sale! Otherwise POing!
My favorite ED this season is Kids on the Slope.
Only song wise or visually as well? I definitely like it more than the OP.
Jexhius has a keen eye for the panties.

Well he did sell me on Bakemonogatari, though maybe not intentionally...

And what a disguise it is!

At another point in S2, the four Milky Holmes girls appear to be wearing only coats, because they're pretending to be flashers (in order to catch one, act like one, or something like that)... but when they reveal what they actually have on underneath...

One has pants on. Yes, pants that weren't there a few seconds earlier. :lol

You can't question these things, just accept them. :)

At another point in S2, the four Milky Holmes girls appear to be wearing only coats, because they're pretending to be flashers (in order to catch one, act like one, or something like that)... but when they reveal what they actually have on underneath...

One has pants on. Yes, pants that weren't there a few seconds earlier. :lol

You can't question these things, just accept them. :)

Isn't Arsene's toy pretty much Haruhi tier god powers?

Isn't Arsene's toy pretty much Haruhi tier god powers?

Just look at what she does in ep. 11 there, that sequence with the globe in it... her abilities in general are quite insanely overpowered. But that's the whole point, of course.

As for her Toy, though, yeah, it's extremely powerful, but it basically allows her to delude people (make them think someone is someone else, think that they're in a dream world, etc.), not something which can affect the physical world; that's where her other skills come into play.

Just look at what she does in ep. 11 there, that sequence with the globe in it... her abilities in general are quite insanely overpowered. But that's the whole point, of course.

As for her Toy, though, yeah, it's extremely powerful, but it basically allows her to delude people (make them think someone is someone else, think that they're in a dream world, etc.), not something which can affect the physical world; that's where her other skills come into play.

Just imagine if she also had the power of Lard.... can you even imagine it?

Just imagine if she also had the power of Lard.... can you even imagine it?

She'd probably be so overpowered no one would ever have any hope of matching her, pretty much, yeah. :)

Of course, then she'd be even MORE bored with her inability to find anyone who can challenge her, so I don't think she'd want such power...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom