• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
That's wrong. K-On! was about 'cute girls doing cute stuff and trying to form a club' while K-On!! was all that mono no aware stuff. It had broad appeal and didn't bore everyone (although it certainly bored some). It had lots of energy, and the characters were pretty excited about what they were doing.

That's not a hook. That's like someone saying the hook of Haruhi was them forming a club. You might say the hook of K-On was the music but the premise in of itself wasn't, even then it was a shitty hook considering how much they talked instead of actually playing music. As for the energy level, yes that was one of K-On's strengths which stands out in contrast to Hyouka.

Also I would say not everybody is bored with Hyouka either, I kinda am, judging by the AS forums. I also don't know how the reception has been in Japan.

Goodnight, sweet prince~

UYpRg.jpg

icecream, 2006 - 2012

T_T

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
That's wrong. K-On! was about 'cute girls doing cute stuff and trying to form a club' while K-On!! was all that mono no aware stuff. It had broad appeal and didn't bore everyone (although it certainly bored some). It had lots of energy, and the characters were pretty excited about what they were doing.
Dunno, I think the reception for Hyouka has been much more positive then Nichijou got in it's first two episodes, not so sure how it compares to K-ON! though.

Branduil

I don't think the main character lacking energy should be confused for a lack of visual energy, because the show certainly has that in abundance.

Ultimadrago

I don't need to! So glorious!

Speaking of Korra, this
Tarmak guy better not be Amon or some other evil conspirator, or I will be really disappointed in this show. :p

Haha, there are quite a few lame pitfalls Korra can potentially walk into with narrative.
Here's to hoping it doesn't fall into a huge one.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
1) It is a bad thing. I loved that it was as much a single player game as it was a multiplayer one.

2) Dynamic events do sound good, but what exactly is not true?

3) The whole point was to get a good build. If you can switch on the fly, sure it increases your strategic options, but it also reduces the amount of planning you have to do, because you can just switch to whatever you need during the action... that's not Guild Wars. I don't remember offhand exactly how many sets you're allowed in GW2, but I hope it's not the usual 10 that you get in MMOs. That kind of thing would be the antithesis of GW design, but of course a lot about GW2 is that anyway.

1.)Not many did apparently since they changed it.

2.)Standing around waiting for respawns. There's a good number of events out there for you to do so you're not stuck at one dynamic event area. The fact that the event may change whether certain criteria were met is also nice.

3.) Who's to say you still can't develop a good build? The fact that you have to take your minor and major traits into consideration when selecting your main weapons is not quick and easy. You have two weapon layouts, and you can only switch between the weapons you have loaded in them. It's not like you're reaching in your backpack and switching to every weapon you have. It's limited to what you have in your weapon slots.

Sorry for taking this off topic. I'll stop here.

jman2050

Comparing Seinfeld to K-On is hilariously misguided. Seinfeld actively attempts to be funny, success depending on the watcher of course, whereas K-On is completely devoid of anything resembling humor from the start.

If you want to compare Seinfeld to a KyoAni show, the one you're looking for is Lucky Star.

Articalys

Phi Brain S2 4

Way, way better than the last episode, and a great duel puzzle as well, without overcomplicated rules but still seems fun to play without the danger element. Hope it stays strong for next week.

I can't remember everything.

Ergo Proxy wasn't perfect, certainly, but I liked it overall.

1.)Not many did apparently since they changed it.
As I sai,d I think they're changing it more to try to attract a new audience than for anything else... GW did pretty well, but didn't match WoW like I'm sure they hoped it would (given that its head staff came from Blizzard and one had worked on WoW early on before starting GW, particularly...).

2.)Standing around waiting for respawns. There's a good number of events out there for you to do so you're not stuck at one dynamic event area. The fact that the event may change whether certain criteria were met is also nice.
GW didn't have any of those required "bring me 5 rat tails" quests. There were some optional ones like that, for items, but nothing in the form of a real quest. I just hope that the second game is similar.

3.) Who's to say you still can't develop a good build? The fact that you have to take your minor and major traits into consideration when selecting your main weapons is not quick and easy. You have two weapon layouts, and you can only switch between the weapons you have loaded in them. It's not like you're reaching in your backpack and switching to every weapon you have. It's limited to what you have in your weapon slots.[/quote]
Still, I have trouble seeing that making the game more strategic overall, instead of less.

Sorry for taking this off topic. I'll stop here.
Where should it go, then? I haven't played the beta... put it there anyway, you mean? Perhaps that would be best, I don't know.

Comparing Seinfeld to K-On is hilariously misguided. Seinfeld actively attempts to be funny, success depending on the watcher of course, whereas K-On is completely devoid of anything resembling humor from the start.

If you want to compare Seinfeld to a KyoAni show, the one you're looking for is Lucky Star.

But Seinfeld's for the broadest of mass markets, while Lucky Star's just for otaku or anime fans... I don't see much of a comparison there. Nichijou might be a better one, that's also not just aimed at a niche.

cajunator

Banned
I will never think of magical girl shows again without imagining them in Madoka Magica world and comparing the elements of the show and how each of them will meet some horrible fate.

I will never think of magical girl shows again without imagining them in Madoka Magica world and comparing the elements of the show and how each of them will meet some horrible fate.

That happens sometimes though, it's just that in other series (Sailor Moon...) they always get rezzed afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom