• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Wait, what? How?

Oh God.

Episode 20 and 21 are like someone decided to slow down the Geass crazy train, and then Episode 22 is where the writers find that guy, kill him, kill the driver, cut the brakes, and put a rock on the accelerator.

R2 is an entire season of out-of-control, unbridled insanity, from the first episode to the conclusion. Everything happens.

Ryuukan

K-On!! S2 FIN:

Double the length of S1 and still, there was only one real point of strife in the whole season,
Azusa wanting them to stay behind at the end.
Even so, I would still watch a K-On college years and will definitely be there for the movie. Its happy, its not trashy, and its fun, sometimes that's all you need.

I could seriously eat 10 mont blancs or tartelettes aux fruits with a pitcher of mugicha right now.

Episode 20 and 21 are like someone decided to slow down the Geass crazy train, and then Episode 22 is where the writers find that guy, kill him, kill the driver, cut the brakes, and put a rock on the accelerator.

R2 is an entire season of out-of-control, unbridled insanity, from the first episode to the conclusion. Everything happens.

There are plenty of lulls in the first half of R2, it isn't until
Shirley dies
that things really get crazy again.

cajunator

Banned
vlc2.gif

Amazing. so this is why people hate VLC. And all this time I thought it was just my computer being shit when this happened.

Patema Inverted: Beginning of the Day 1-2

sakasama1.jpg
sakasama1a.jpg
sakasama1b.jpg

These prologue shorts are a pretty neat way to hype up the movie. Looks like there's at least another short planned.
goddamn cliffhanger :(

Oh man. this looks intriguing!

I have no idea what you're talking about, nano.RIPE is awesome

Yes they are. I love that bands music and the particular way the girl sings. Its not for everyone but it works for me.

Blasphemy. That song was awesome. It's a really great opening.

It really was. Still listen to it.

I'm pretty sure those are 2 different series and why is this in the anime thread and not the manga thread?

Nah its the same. Look at the symbols. everything is the same only stylized.

I'm sure the cajunator faction of animeGAF will enjoy Patema Inverted as well.

ivDyeWl7HTA9n.jpg

ipRAAdK5Hp0Jh.jpg

Hmm. YES.

Taisho Baseball Girls 08

yiazr.png

Tomoe is so adorable. Her outward appearance is so tomboyish that I keep getting floored by her soft clingyness for Koume. Speaking about Koume
she got screwed with that stand-in gig. She was reluctant at first, but she got pumped from the hype only to have it crushed moments later.
It's ok though, Tomoe will cheer you up.

KoumexTomoe OTP.

Excellent. Glad you're liking it :)
People, watch this. Its good!

The amazingly creative way in which the censorship's handled in Koe de Oshigoto is really the only reason to watch it... and what a reason it is!

This show looks kind of interesting/cute.

Cajun is NOT allowed to click on this link: http://ameblo.jp/gsc-mikatan/

Am I going to hnnng to death?:

Code Geass R1 25 -END-

What an ending. What a ride.

I feel like I'll never be able to watch an anime with regular, human pacing without falling asleep after an entire day of this, hahaha. But this is damn good stuff. The over-the-top 2D action, the setting, the "villains", the antics, the main duo... Hell, even Shirley's annoying mouth brings in the fun.

The school setting thing wasn't as overused and silly as I thought it could've been after reading some of the comments, and I'm glad for that.
There's no way they can go back to school now, so I guess we're done with that.

Oh yeah, and CC's the best girl. Not that she should be proud of that title with the remaining girls in the cast, but still.

Now I need to sleep.

Yes. C.C. is definitely best girl. but as for your spoilered part....Heh heh heh.

And now for something completely different.

WHATTHEFUCKOMGHOLYSHIT
*flees in absolute horror

Maybe I too should jump on this train.

YES. Not just yes but FUCK YES. You have to experience Code Geass.

Jex

Well, you're a little bit (or rather, quite) late to the party and if you want to catch up with these two madmen you'll have to watch season one in a day. That's quite a lot of work!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well, you're a little bit (or rather, quite) late to the party and if you want to catch up with these two madmen you'll have to watch season one in a day. That's quite a lot of work!

Easily doable though! I watched Evangelion, Code Geass, and R2 all in the space of 2 days!

Steins;Gate OVA?
a88a3373.gif

Kind of dull though more episodes with
Kurisu and Okarin
were welcome as that was really the only major flaw I had with the final episodes of the series. Liked hearing the full version of Hacking to the Gate.

Defuser

Wait what? Who are these cavemen that still uses VLC?

Jormundgand ep 4
Meh, the bad guys went down with no style and action is still piss poor. Koko sure loves being a target for physical abuse.

sonicmj1

It's a ride worth taking. Once you get on, it's hard to get off.

Hyouka 2

This is like the opposite of Apollon. Each episode takes ages for nothing to happen.

I kind of like the mild "mystery" solving, but it isn't a lot, and I don't feel like the character interactions can pick up the slack here. All that's left are production values being used about as well as they possibly can on a group of four students standing around in a library.

There are some hints of something resembling an overarching plot here, but I don't expect any change in the pacing going forward. Maybe it'll grow on me, but this is kind of disappointing at the moment.

Jex

The amazingly creative way in which the censorship's handled in Koe de Oshigoto is really the only reason to watch it... and what a reason it is!

I wouldn't really call it amazingly creative, but it's certainly a title to watch if you're in the mood for something that's both meta- and stupid.

cajunator

Banned
The fuck Cajunator, you use VLC? You should have mentioned that first! Switch to MPC asap!

I use VLC, MPC, Divx, and PowerDVD. All of these have various hilarious and bizarre effects. I actually have most of the problems outside of VLC, because VLC plays my DVDs normally for the most part. MPC is the one that refuses to sub or displays stuff upside down or backwards.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Eureka 7 AO

Well, my fears about episode 3 all came true, a very bad episode. There's hardly any likeable characters, random terms are introduced without any sort of explanation, and lots of random stupid stuff was shoved in for no reason. A banjo? Miku Hatsune? What was the point of those?

Good Job, Bones, you at least had 2 good/decent episodes this time.

Jex

Eureka Seven AO 3:
[...] The racism and ostracizing that Ao was subject to, and the difference between people who stand back and make excuses versus those who take actions. This is mirrored not only in Ao's resolve, but also with Generation Bleu during the episode. I feel like this was an important episode for setting up what will come later on, as well as reflecting on the themes that I think the series is going to be concerned with. We'll see where things go from here.
That you think the series is going to be concerned with? It isn't like they're being very subtle about it!
Committing murder must be so easy in Korea. Just strangle them, place a running fan in front of their lifeless body, and close the door.

Not that convenient ways to commit murder are always on my mind or anything.

There's nothing unhealthy about plotting the perfect murder. It's a perfectly normal mental exercise.
lol. Was the first anime that introduced me into the saliva sucking way of life.

They're just following the trends set by Mysterious Girlfriend X!
I can't see why people can hate on nano.RIPE OPs. They're great.

Sure, if you like caterwauling.

cajunator

Banned
So now that everything has aired, how about some OP rankings!

1. Phi Brain S2
2. Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
3. Sankarea
4. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
5. Accel World
6. Tsuritama
7. Zetman
8. Medaka Box
9. Rock Lee
10. Space Bros
11. Upotte!
12. Kore wa Zombie Desu ka of the dead
13. Saint Seiya Omega
14. Fate/Zero s2
15. Shiba Inuko-san

1. Fate Zero OP2
2. Acchi Kocchi
3. Sankarea
4. Space Bros
5. Nyaruko-san
6. Eureka Seven AO
7. Apollon
8. Tsuritama
9. Upotte!
10. Medaka Box
11. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
12. Mysterious Girlfriend X
13. Hyouka
14. Lupin Fujiko
15. Ricks Bread

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Episode 3 might have set up the themes/etc for the rest of the show, but the way it did was so heavyhanded and blustering it failed to do anything other than make me think "these are the dumbest characters of the season, the fuck where you thinking Bones?"

It's funny how I can tolerate a nano.ripe song but not Chiaki Omigawa.

I bet you hate the Denpa OP too, you monster. :(

Kagami

Koe de Oshigoto
Funny little OVA. The concept of a dojikko becoming an eroge VA is pretty fun. Will check out the manga.
If you like embarrassment-moe, it's god-tier.
I'd call it the ultimate embarassment-moe manga, but I haven't read enough to really make that claim. I'm sure it's up there though.

In the postscript for the first volume, the author, Konno Azure, writes

...Some of you already know, but I had been primarily an adult-manga artist.
Then one day, I received an offer to write for a non-adult magazine, but...
(´・ω・`)。oO(*Sigh* There really aren't any non-adult stories I want to write...)
...was basically how I felt about it. I wasn't into the idea at all.
(`・ω・´)< "What I want to draw is girls turning beet-red with embarassment!"
That's the kind of man I am.

Then one day, I was listening to a song called Gamer's Actress by a music group I like called MOSAIC.WAV.
(It's a song about an eroge voice actress.)
(*゚Д゚*)!!
What about a manga where a highschool girl is made to work as an eroge VA?
Then I could draw faces flushed with embarassment as much as I wanted to, even in a non-adult magazine!!

I wondered if I might perhaps be a genius.

---

The manga LEs come with a bunch of amusing stuff, like an audio-only ADV/VN keychain with "yes" and "no" buttons on it for making choices, an actual ADV/VN game for Windows, a music CD by MOSAIC.WAV themselves, a cover with an embedded speaker so when you open the book it starts saying eroge lines out loud, etc. Volume 8 due out in June comes with a "hypnotic masturbation assistance" CD.
Originally they had actual eroge VAs doing this stuff, but then later switched to the OVA cast. (Reader reaction to the OVA casting broke down into two factions: the "it should be eroge VAs because that matches the story" camp, and the "the whole point is to get non-eroge VAs to say these naughty lines" camp.)

Recently, a book on adult game voice acting came out, featuring interviews with 25 actresses (including some of my personal favorites like Kaneda Mahiru and Hokuto Minami ♡).
They titled it Bishoujo Geemu Seiyuu no Oshigoto and got the Koe de Oshigoto! author to draw the cover:
ksab1.jpg

(1024x768)

cajunator

Banned
I'd call it the ultimate embarassment-moe manga, but I haven't read enough to really make that claim. I'm sure it's up there though.

Then one day, I was listening to a song called Gamer's Actress by a music group I like called MOSAIC.WAV.
(*゚Д゚*)!!
Then I could draw faces flushed with embarassment as much as I wanted to, even in a non-adult magazine!!

---

The manga LEs come with a bunch of amusing stuff, like an audio-only ADV/VN keychain with "yes" and "no" buttons on it for making choices, an actual ADV/VN game for Windows, a music CD by MOSAIC.WAV themselves, a cover with an embedded speaker so when you open the book it starts saying eroge lines out loud, etc. Volume 8 due out in June comes with a "hypnotic masturbation assistance" CD.
Originally they had actual eroge VAs doing this stuff, but then later switched to the OVA cast. (Reader reaction to the OVA casting broke down into two factions: the "it should be eroge VAs because that matches the story" camp, and the "the whole point is to get non-eroge VAs to say these naughty lines" camp.)

Recently, a book on adult game voice acting came out, featuring interviews with 25 actresses (including some of my personal favorites like Kaneda Mahiru and Hokuto Minami ♡).
They titled it Bishoujo Geemu Seiyuu no Oshigoto and got the Koe de Oshigoto! author to draw the cover:
ksab1.jpg

(1024x768)

NOt sure what embarassment moe is but I'm intrigued.

Jintor

(*゚Д゚*)!!

---

ksab1.jpg

(1024x768)

Sir, you have sold me

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I will say that Ao is a much more enjoyable protagonist than Renton was, that's one good thing E7 AO is doing at least!

sonicmj1

Eureka 7 AO 3

That was a kind of dumb episode. Bones tackling racism the only way they know how; by being super heavy-handed. The justification was incredibly weak.

Besides the godlike music, this is getting pretty Bonesy. But action is coming up next time, so that should be sweet.

It's hard for me to keep up with this many shows at once.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Awesome.

And "fuck yeah" at the 1.048596% divergence point.

gZUe6.jpg

What's up with the multiple mentions of 9.173105%, though? Oh boy.

That sounds right up my alley. It shall be fun.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Suite Precure 3

dSF3C.jpg

no need to look so damn cheery about it!

Poor Hibiki, she's going to fight with her friends and have the worst day ever. :(

Her dad is really an asshole,
she has to make up for someone else's mistake, and play a piece she doesn't even know that well, and then he just goes "lol put more haato into it, and no I won't take you to the park like I promised."

jrJpU.jpg

He understands tsunderes so well! Although it a dangerous line of thinking, as Ultimate Girls showed. :(

It's nice having protagonists who show a bit of backbone and don't cave in just because they're told by someone else to do so.

R9e6O.jpg

I wonder if Mr. Fabulous here will make more appearances?

About the negatone's designs, I agree that they don't really fit into the show at all, unlike the Akanbes, but the designs themselves aren't nearly as stupid, so it's a tough choice which is worse. :(

izOOo.jpg

That sounds like something the spanish inquisition would do!

Aria the Minor needs to get the fuck out of this show, they're so earsplitting it's not even funny. :(

frostbyte

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 4

Another great episode.

Hasuta's so [REDACTED] and has hair antennae to boot! It was all good until
she's actually a he
:(

Sword of the Stranger

You guys recommended this so I watched this with a friend and we ended up being blown away. So good.

The animation was great, especially the fight at the beginning. Just pure sakuga sprinkled all over the film. The fluid animation reminds me of how much I loved the fights in Samurai Champloo too, except this is even better. The action choreography is also top notch. Just a joy to watch the mesmerising fights in motion.

I also really liked the backgrounds throughout the movie. The watercolour sceneries really bring more authenticity and personality to the setting of the show. Not to mention just absolutely beautiful.

Story isn't the strength of this show. Although executed well in general, the premise still feels slightly contrived. It's a very minor gripe, but one that I personally have problems with. I hope there's a sequel of sorts because I feel the world and characters could be fleshed out so much more, and some plot points, like the
medicine that the Ming warriors have to take
, felt unresolved.

The characters were generally likeable. Kotarou was slightly annoying at the start but slowly grew endearing and sweet. Nanashi was the typical samurai that acts cold, but is really a good guy inside. Again, feels so by-the-books, but I was emotionally invested in the characters in such a short time, so I guess I can forgive that flaw.

The music direction is great. The tunes build up the mood so well and convey the emotions of the scene really well. In addition, the music has that feudal Japan atmosphere as well, and the thematic relevancy goes a long way in integrating the whole experience together.

Definitely a good movie but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. Almost all the elements of the movie are quite effective in enveloping and engaging the viewer. I'd guess I'd call the plot simple, but still sufficient enough to make the viewer feel content with it at the end. Maybe it's because all the other elements of the show are so impressive that the weaker plot is made all the more noticeable. 8/10

Mine Fujiko at 14?! :mad:

Should be #1!

Nah, Nyaruko-san should be #1. It just never gets old. :)

But I agree that Mine Fujiko should be higher, at least top 5.

Awww damn.

At least we'll have more
Pizza Hut parties!

Are you and Brazil going to do a proper review when you finish R2? Not that I'm not enjoying your episode by episode impressions. It's only going to get more amazing from here on!

and you guys are amazing. all 25 episodes in one day. I couldn't possibly do that...

Novid

Banned
Hey Novid. This forum has an edit post feature you know.

yes i know that. but ricks bread? some one has to so mentally challanged to even comission that stuff. i mean i am the first dude to tell you i liked Yakitate!! Japan because it was just a deconruction of the genre. hell even queens blade season 3 is way more honest than this. rick's bread is just so sad.

duckroll

yes i know that. but ricks bread? some one has to so mentally challanged to even comission that stuff. i mean i am the first dude to tell you i liked Yakitate!! Japan because it was just a deconruction of the genre. hell even queens blade season 3 is way more honest than this. rick's bread is just so sad.

What the fuck are you talking about. Are you from another planet?

Westlo

JackiechanBlackSS.png

Ryuukan

It's a mediocre JRPG turned into an anime. Not that far-fetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom