• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Epic of the Space Champions 009
P3nrQ.png
Symbolism.

The episode focuses on Klopstock, an old aristocrat involved in complotting the assassination the previous Kaiser, and his attempt to Fight the Power™ one last time.
Of course he fails miserably at it, a common theme regarding old fools in this show. But whereas previously one could label such failures as simple incompetence, I believe there's more to take from this microcosmos. Klopstock is not arrogant, and even acknowledges that time has left him unloved and futureless. The whole incident with the cane seems poorly thought-out, and indeed everything that could have gone wrong with it went wrong, thanks mainly due to Reinhard's son-of-a-bitch luck. The aimlessness of Klopstock's efforts make me infer he doesn't believe in his own plan at all, accentuating his pathetic existence to the point that he feels it is better to die as a coward, unlike Oberstein's ex-fleet general who was willing to sacrifice his entire fleet just for the futility of war glory.

A bit of a doozy after the politics-heavy episode eight, but it was still enjoyable.

Accel World 2

Something about the Cartman/Snow Black/Other Chick dynamic makes me want to rewatch School Days.

I don't get how Cartman won that fight, though. If the match timed out, there's no way he could have had more health than Ash Roller.

Dresden

tsuritama - 02

I love this show so much. It's like, zen of fishing & tying knots.

Dunno if I dig the OP, though. It's too long for what it does. Thirty seconds would've been perfect for it.

meh. ending did nothing for me. K-on had better endings imo (animation wise).

Abstract girls in night gowns rolling around< cute outfits! for me.

Now if those outfits appeared in the show....

hmmm...
Well, we know who they are, not exactly abstract.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Netorare War-Buddies 010
A vote for Yang Wenli is a vote for promiscuity.
I'm okay with this.

I'm finding it difficult to keep track of all the characters. I thought Jessica Edwards was Yang's underling until the flashback with Jean began.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't even really like Yuri Goggle stuff so my choices are pathetically limited. (Although Candy Boy was okay)
I liked Candy Boy but it was sorely lacking of conflict. It was less romance and more slice-of-life without the cute shit to make up for it.

Jintor

Yeah, that was my basic point of contention with it. Although it was cute in like... a more 'realistic' way. Slice-of-life tends to go out of its way to be adorable. Candy Boy was just like... the cuteness of ordinariness.

Also the boringness, but I guess that's what you get.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeah, that was my basic point of contention with it. Although it was cute in like... a more 'realistic' way. Slice-of-life tends to go out of its way to be adorable. Candy Boy was just like... the cuteness of ordinariness.

Also the boringness, but I guess that's what you get.
All "ordinariness" got thrown out of the window the moment the creepy stalker girl got introduced.

Soma

Medaka Bocks 2-4

2Axl8.jpg

Uhhhh

Yeah.

Think I'm gonna drop this one. I really wanted to like it. I even gave it one more episode than the usual "three episode rule". But man, it's just so boring. At least Hyouka has godlike production values and amazing attention to detail to alleviate the dullness. I thought the first episode was decent but it just hasn't held up for me. There's some funny moments don't get me wrong but those are far and few between imo. I'm honestly pretty lenient when it comes to how i view anime as well. I wanted to be in the "it gets better!" crowd but at 1/3 of the way done with this (assuming it's still 12 eps total) ...I dunno. Finding it really hard to keep myself interested in this.

Shiranui is pretty great I have to admit though.

uCsGF.gif

The manga actually sounds pretty interesting (especially that Kumagawa character) so I may consider checking that out one day.

This makes me happy. Hyouka's just ok, but KyoAni deserves another success.

KyoAni makes enough money with the K-On! franchise, so they don't need sympathy if they make boring shows like Hyouka.

And we are talking atm about 8-9k sales, so I don't know if KyoAni is happy with such sales figures.

Kagami

This show is one of the biggest surprises this season. It gets better, as episode 4 was the best one yet.
It's definitely one of my positive impressions for the season.
I see a lot of people complaining about Kuroyukihime's voice acting, but it's not bothering me unless I seriously focus on it.

Jex

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 008

The brolust metre is off the charts.
Kaiser you are too fabulous to die with a whimper. Too bad you are a pedo (how old was Annerose when she was bought?

Well, they don't really answer that question, but she seemed to be fairly young. They don't really dwell on that subject in the series.

Jex

Marco 3

This episode basically consisted of Marco running from one place to another with insignificant happenings along the way. That could have been boring, but it was saved by the embarrassing riches of background art that make Genoa come alive and feel like a real three-dimensional place. There were very few repeated backgrounds, and each one connected to the next in a logical manner. I especially liked how it transitioned from the city to the beach. Bookending the episode with nice moments of characterization for Marco's family also helped keep my interest.

I see that Tomino did the storyboard for this episode. Apparently he also worked on Anne of Green Gables. Fancy that.

I wrote a fairly lengthy post about the way that locations are made to feel like a real, physical space thanks to the way that those shots are used. They don't really cut any corners in the way that Marco moves from one location to another. It's pretty impressive.

Jex

lu-pan the third - 04
I'm not quite so fond of what they've chosen to do with the characters. They all feel like such cynical, spiteful people--with Fujiko herself being this nihilistic, amoral person whose capers amount to nothing more than a manifestation of her self-destructiveness. The OP hints at such and I guess this is where they'll go.
space brothers - 03

It was kind of odd to watch this after lupan. Here are characters whose passions and dreams are laid out and detailed almost extravagantly, with flashbacks aplenty. It's a good show, a competent show, and while it may not be brilliant there's something reassuring about the consistency it displays.
While I don't think there's inherently wrong with having a cynical cast it's hard to get the audience to route for them, or even be interested in their struggles. Apollon isn't exactly a masterpiece of storytelling, but it at least understands that, for most people, stories are interesting because they're about characters and how they change.
hahahaha

HAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Speaking of cynical people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom