• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Legend of the Netorare War-Buddies 010

A vote for Yang Wenli is a vote for promiscuity.
I'm okay with this.

I'm finding it difficult to keep track of all the characters. I thought Jessica Edwards was Yang's underling until the flashback with Jean began.
If you'd watched the movie everything would have become clear!

Ryuukan

Kids on the Slope 04:

SO MUCH crammed into 20 minutes. This show is unbelievable. Show of the FOREVER.

omg too good to even spoil, WATCH IT

Soma

Doesn't work for me unless it's in gif form. Moéblobs are creepy if they are static.

Here's your moeblobs in motion:

133603891939723cbm.gif

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't really get that, why would you want them be rewarded for mediocrity? Just because they've done good stuff in the past?

Yes.

Nichijou was way above mediocrity and it wasn't a success, despite deserving it. Cash entering their vaults now is this world's sweet justice working.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dem Children Rolling Down the Gradient 04

Kaoru you are real suave.

Best episode of any anime this season. My only disappointment is that the jazz session wasn't any longer, but it's understandable considering the pace at which they are going.
fap fap fap fap fap
If you'd watched the movie everything would have become clear!
Too much animation for my standard LotG experience.

tumblr_m3gdnedqBt1qflc3ro2_400.gif

Lupin III: A woman named Fujiko Mine - Blood-Soaked Triangle.

I'm not sure if I enjoyed this one quite as much as everyone else. I appreciate it focussing solely on three of the main cast members and that it developed their relationships with one another; but it all just felt a little flat. The animation, while nice for the most part, seemed a bit off at times (especially with Lupin himself at the start.) The voice acting was fine and the story was decent... it's just the Lupin spark wasn't quite there IMO.

I loved the pyramid setting. It reminds me a lot of Secret of Mamo when Lupin and Jigen are infiltrating the pyramid at the start. I did however enjoy the opening to Mamo much more than this. It was fun, exciting to watch and is a very memorable piece of animation. This I felt wasn't so much. It definitely felt like something more from the manga; which is great still, but just something I cannot seem to get into as much (compared to Lupin moments like in Mamo.)

Lupin and Jigen's relationship with one another in this episode wasn't what I figured it would be either.
A lot of their conversation felt needless and boring. I appreciate them being hostile at first and then working together to escape traps, but the conversation they made just came off as very uninteresting to me. I do like how Jigen has Fujiko figured out already, though. Even at their first meeting he's warning Lupin about her and generally showing distaste towards the woman.

So I don't know. I enjoyed the episode and I will continue watching... I just didn't enjoy it as much as I expected too I guess? Maybe I have too high hopes...

Any more opinions on this episode?

7Th

The upcoming bishoujo-driven Aniplex original anime added something intriguing to its official site:

The theme is friendship
The MC is a 14-year-old girl
The director is doing the character designs
The genre is bishoujo sci-fi action

The third point is the one that I find interesting. There aren't a lot of currently-active directors also serving as character designers when it comes to bishoujo anime. I can only think of Ryochimo (Yozakura Quartet), Nishigori (IM@S) and Kazuhiro Takamura (Strike Witches). Or maybe it will be the proper directorial debut of some relatively important animator/illustrator (Sushio? Shouko Nakamura?)?

Lain

I'm sorta happy, the license for A Letter to Momo has been acquired in Italy so I should be able to watch it "soon" enough.

Medaka Box 5
tumblr_m3g4jf2Okn1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Fun episode, possibly my favorite thus far. Each episode continues to go up and up. Akune and Zenkichi make me laugh and have great scenes. Shiranui always feels like there is something more than meets the eye with her. Enjoyed this first swim event and am ready to see the rest.

duckroll

The upcoming bishoujo-driven Aniplex original anime added something intriguing to its official site:

The third point is the one that I find interesting. There aren't a lot of currently-active directors also serving as character designers when it comes to bishoujo anime. I can only think of Ryochimo (Yozakura Quartet), Nishigori (IM@S) and Kazuhiro Takamura (Strike Witches). Or maybe it will be the proper directorial debut of some relatively important animator/illustrator (Sushio? Shouko Nakamura?)?

I already discussed this with articalys on IRC when they first put that up. The director/character designers I could think of at the time were Tadashi Hiramitsu, Yasuchika Nagaoka, and Keiji Gotoh. I doubt it's Hiramitsu, and the other two guys would probably make a shitty show. So I stopped caring at that point.

7Th

I already discussed this with articalys on IRC when they first put that up. The director/character designers I could think of at the time were Tadashi Hiramitsu, Yasuchika Nagaoka, and Keiji Gotoh. I doubt it's Hiramitsu, and the other two guys would probably make a shitty show. So I stopped caring at that point.

Gotoh is currently directing that Sengoku Collection show; I don't think it's him. And Nagaoka hasn't designed characters since the early 90's. You don't think it could be Nishigori or Ryochimo?

duckroll

Gotoh is currently directing that Sengoku Collection show; I don't think it's him. And Nagaoka hasn't designed characters since the early 90's. You don't think it could be Nishigori or Ryochimo?

I don't think Ryochimo would direct a TV series. Could be Nishigori, but my bias blocked him from my mind (sorry!!) at the time. Especially if it's another A-1 series. Another random possibility is Kou Yoshinari, since he was apparently a huge fan of White Album and he even storyboarded an episode.

Articalys

Sket Dance 56

Yes! One of the chapters I was really waiting to see in the anime, and a key foundation for an arc much later on. They did an outstanding job adapting this, adding a few new scenes and boosting the impact of the story. A must-see episode for all fans of the show -- just ignore the silly little Biscuit Dance skits that bookend the actual episode.

Plus they gave Marina Inoue a chance to sing a silly song lol

Next week is one of the funnier comedy stories, so that should be good.

7Th

I think it's someone that has already worked as director/character designer because otherwise the "hint" wouldn't mean anything. What we know is that it is going to be a bishoujo anime and thus needs "cute girl" designs; we also know that the director is doing the character designs. It could also be Kazuhiro Takamura; he was director/character designer of Strike Witches

duckroll

I think it's someone that has already worked as director/character designer because otherwise the "hint" wouldn't mean anything. It could be Kazuhiro Takamura; he was director/character designer of Strike Witches. I think him and Nishigori are the most likely choices.

The show is probably going to be pretty meh anyway, since it's a Dengeki G's original project. :/

7Th

The show is probably going to be pretty meh anyway, since it's a Dengeki G's original project. :/

They certainly don't have a good track record with that; their previous "original anime" collaboration with Dengeki G's was Angel Beats. I still think it could be a fun show if it doesn't turn out to be "CG-mecha action".

duckroll

They certainly don't have a good track record with that; their previous "original anime" collaboration with Dengeki G's was Angel Beats.

I blame the target audience mostly. Can't expect much when the magazine is just pandering towards people with totally different tastes from most of us. I'm sure Kagami will be pleased though! :D

7Th

I blame the target audience mostly. Can't expect much when the magazine is just pandering towards people with totally different tastes from most of us. I'm sure Kagami will be pleased though! :D

I actually don't have anything against bishoujo anime or the target audience of Dengeki G's; Angel Beats was just a poorly made show. Speaking of which, Hiramatsu was storyboarder/animation director on 2 episodes of Angel Beats...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
AKB0048 01:

No words. Just massive self-loathing for putting myself through this. It's anime puke; a triple Meriken Burger cooked by Kawamori himself served with a side of hideous aesthetic, garish color palette and self-serious Okada drama slathered in every dumbshit animu trope imaginable left to digest a while in the bile of the Japanese idol industry before getting projectile vomited straight into otakus' mouths like a mother bird feeding its babies.

Of course, I'm watching it all.

duckroll

I actually don't have anything against bishoujo anime or the target audience of Dengeki G's; Angel Beats was just a poorly made show. Speaking of which, Hiramatsu was storyboarder/animation director on 2 episodes of Angel Beats...

The poor bastard. How much more suffering must he go through before he gets to make Ghost Rhapsody. Lol. :(

Ultimadrago

Kids on the Slope 4

So much
NTR
And it's all for me!

Seriously though, this episode delves into
Sentarou's past and how it compares to that of Karou, due to an early loss of positive figureheads in their lives leaving them in a sometimes alien environment called "home." The piano dual-playing as youngster's part was a nice transition after Karou's realization that both are in the same boat carrying separate oars.

This episode also added on Karou still
left wondering about Ri's true feelings about him and wondering if he is just outplayed by Sentarou for her heart.

Meanwhile Sentarou's crush is starting to
get eyes for smooth Jun!

By the end of this all, Sentarou and
Karou will be together because they'll only have each other left!
Haha!

I liked the episode, but these kids are really running down this slope! Here's hoping they don't fall down and scrape their knees.

Kids on the Slope 4:
This show is just so expertly paced. There was once again a lot of stuff happening in this episode, but nothing felt like it was jut rushing by. The show is really expertly directed in that regard. We get a lot of insight into the family lives of both Kaoru and Sentarou, and the show is once again touching on some interesting subject matter in terms of
race. Both in Sentarou's status as being of mixed heritage living in Japan, as well as the racism of the soldier in the bar. I'll be interested to see how this ties in with Sentarou's story going forward.
The web of relationships is also getting more involved, as well.

I'm also impressed with how something as simple as names can become so well utilized here.
When Karou and Sentarou call each other by their names after bonding, it tells the viewer everything you need to know about how their relationship has changed, and it does so in a simple, but elegant way. You also see this come up again with Jun and Yurika's interactions before and after the performance at the end of the episode.

duckroll

Kids on the Slope - Episode 4

This episode feels like a significant step forward in terms of the relationship between the main characters, but I wish there is more room to breath for everyone else. There's an event in the episode which would have been much more significant if only the show were paced in a way which allows the audience to follow the daily lives of the characters more closely. Instead it is starting to feel like "highlights of their best moments" as the show goes at a breakneck speed covering months of their lives in just four episodes.

I really liked the interactions between Kaoru and Sentaro this week, and the additional backgrounds for the characters being fleshed out is pretty interesting. But aside from the two leads, I'm honestly starting to wonder how the other characters feel about certain things, but get frustrated when I see scenes move so quickly without giving any of that development any space at all. Two steps forward, one step back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom