• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
One Piece 10

DING DONG THE WITCH LUFFY IS DEAD.

I wish. :( And I guess some dude named Cap'n Jack Black is the new villain.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
KIDS ON THE SLOPE EPISODE FOUR

qNQizl.jpg

THIS EPISODE WAS SO GOOD THAT I BROKE MY CAPSLOck. Oh, there we go. What devilry is Watanabe using to cram so much quality character interaction into each episode? This episode might have been the best yet in that regard, as somehow in a scant twenty minutes we get a ton of quality development and character relationships evolve significantly.
Sentarou shattering any illusions Kaoru had about Sentarou having an enviable life
was amazing. Whether it be love or resentment, there's so much straightforward honesty between the characters in this show and it's really really refreshing.

Kaoru's idiotic decision to sneak a kiss in on Ritsuko
underscored that this straightforwardness doesn't always have good consequences, but on the whole there's not a lot of unrealistic stuttering and hand-wringing and hesitation, just a continual onslaught of interaction and development and bromance. I'm kind of giddy at the thought of
Jun entering the picture and stealing Yurika from Sentarou
if only for the fact that it's undoubtedly going to alter the relationship web yet again. I give this episode 10/10 drunken sailors.

Soma

Bros on The Slope Episode 04

PhwIK.jpg

dat brolust

Probably my favorite episode so far. I was initially a bit worried at how fast the show would be moving but I'm honestly enjoying the ride so far. The relationship between Kaoru and Sentarou has been great to watch and this episode seems to bring them even closer. The scenes delving into
Sentarou's past were interesting to see as well... though the particular scene with the grandmother felt a bit out of place for some reason.
I like that the show has been touching on the subject of
race
which I can imagine must have been a fairly big issue back in the 60's. It doesn't feel forced nor contrived and it's refreshing to see an anime deal with such subject matter.

I really liked this particular scene. It's like no matter what issues each of them have faced, music seems to bring them together no matter what and they'll always have that bond with each other.

I was definitely not expecting
that kiss out of Kaoru. Unfortunately it had some unintended results (though to be fair I'm not sure exactly what he was thinking with that) but I gotta give the guy credit for stepping up.
The music scenes were great as always even if they felt really short. I'm interested to see how the story goes with
this now becoming a love... pentagram? Man this is getting complicated.
I'm expecting the next episode to focus more on the supporting characters with these new developments coming up. This episode didn't really touch on
Ritsuko's feelings regarding either Sentarou nor Kaoru
so I feel like they're planning on saving that for an upcoming episode.

Medaka Box 05
BA7am.gif

I am amused at the very least by the competition. Sure there was much more boobs and ass this episode like they were trying to tell me something, but it was still pretty good. Shiranui still stole the episode by just commentary alone.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
HeartCatch Movie: Fashion show in Paris blah blah blah

As expected from something HeartCatch related, this was quite good. My biggest complaint
was the fight at the end. Sure, the modified HeartCatch orchestra looked really nice, but it was a bit of a letdown when I was hoping for an epic Dragon/werewolf/precure three way fight. It didn't even come close to the glorious Dune fight from the TV series.

Other than that, though, Coppe-sama continues to be the most badass character in the franchise, and the ED wasn't CG!

If you have any like for the precure series, magical girl shows, or HeartCatch at all, I give this a reasonably strong recommendation.

Kagami

I blame the target audience mostly. Can't expect much when the magazine is just pandering towards people with totally different tastes from most of us. I'm sure Kagami will be pleased though! :D
They had me at "bishoujo sci-fi action."

They certainly don't have a good track record with that; their previous "original anime" collaboration with Dengeki G's was Angel Beats. I still think it could be a fun show if it doesn't turn out to be "CG-mecha action".
Haha, I avoided Angel Beats due to Key. By all accounts it sounds like it was the right move.
I'm with you on pessimism toward 3D CG robots, although I liked Macross F so I guess it's not always a dealbreaker.

Cwarrior

Kyousogiga

Am not quite sure at what i watched, felt like a big preview for something yet to come but I know one thing I did not like what I saw, I have no interest in boring nonsense reminds me of the type crap that comes out of gianaix
whatever that studio name was

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

As expected from something HeartCatch related, this was quite good. My biggest complaint
was the fight at the end. Sure, the modified HeartCatch orchestra looked really nice, but it was a bit of a letdown when I was hoping for an epic Dragon/werewolf/precure three way fight. It didn't even come close to the glorious Dune fight from the TV series.

Other than that, though, Coppe-sama continues to be the most badass character in the franchise, and the ED wasn't CG!

If you have any like for the precure series, magical girl shows, or HeartCatch at all, I give this a reasonably strong recommendation.
I loved this movie soooo much.

Sengoku Collection 05
fO60T.jpg

Lol, lol, stereotypes!
Ok, this was not that bad of an episode. The fake documentary was interesting and I was amused by how out of hand it gotten. The storyline wasn't really that bad, stuff actually did move around and there wasn't that much loli girls feeling bad about themselves. I actually liked the sword girls of the day this time even though I don't know who they are or aren't famous enough to be a playable character in a Musou game.
Next week, we have another non famous enough character to be playable in a Musou game so yay?

Aren't the others specials?

Pretty much. There are a few OVA's too; Fuma Conspiracy, Green VS Red and Return of Psycal. The specials became a yearly tradition in Japan, but that's not to say they still didn't air a couple of films in cinemas after they started (Dead or Alive, Nostradamus.)

Jex

[Kids on the Slope] - The Fourth One

Apollon4.jpg

This post is devoted to Brother Jun and
his fine musical talent. Not to mention his ability to steal away ladies hearts with a single vocal performance. I am sure the amount of NTR in this series is making certain posters extremely happy.

The best way to describe the feeling I had watching this episode is - I thought we had reached the conclusion of the episode when we'd only reached the middle eye catch. That's how much ground was covered in the space of a single episode. It's pretty impressive. Both Sentarou and Karou have been really fleshed out by this point, everyone else hasn't quite had the same treatment but we'll have to see how it goes.

As for the already noted problems regarding the flow of time this series has, I have no idea how we've reached
Christmas
already. I guess that fade-to-white was even more powerful than I had expected! Interestingly enough, they seemed to have learned from their mistake last week and so this time around we actually treated to a montage.

I can totally see duckroll's point about the show not having enough time to dwell on the characters day to day lives. If we only jump from dizzying highs to dizzying lows the show runs the risk of losing the important contrast between day to day stuff and the important matters. However, I really enjoy the way they're handling the show and I don't think it's a problem. I think it would be interesting to see a show with twice the episode count that has more time to breathe, but that's not what this show is going to be (apparently).

There was some really good music in this episode as well, but you already knew that, right?

In other words, I really liked this episode. Still, it really feels like a project made by some folks who were really into the subject matter. This isn't a bad thing, but it's interesting to see an anime made in this day and age that says - 'I really like jazz, so I am going to make a show with a lot of jazz in it.' It's like a throwback to an earlier time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[...]
In other words, I really liked this episode. Still, it really feels like a project made by some folks who were really into the subject matter. This isn't a bad thing, but it's interesting to see an anime made in this day and age that says - 'I really like jazz, so I am going to make a show with a lot of jazz in it.' It's like a throwback to an earlier time.
Pretty sure they still do that. They just have to add a bunch of panty-shots and lolis to get it green-lit.

Jex

The pest part about the HeartCatch movie is how little they focus on action and fight sequences.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm still in the middle of watching this, but Sengoku Collection 05 is Bowling for Columbine: the anime. It's fucking bizarre and even has anime Michael Moore. Everyone has to watch it.

Jex

Pretty sure they still do that. They just have to add a bunch of panty-shots and lolis to get it green-lit.

Possibly, possibly, but that'd kind of the point, isn't it? Kids on the Slope doesn't really attempt to cater to any specific audiences wishes. It doesn't even seem to care about them, although I suppose there's been some fairly charged man-on-man sequences for no real reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tsuritama 4 > Kids on the Bebop 4.

I suppose it's supposed to be ironic that I vastly prefer the music of Tsuritama to the diegetic music of the Jazz show, even though it's like the same two themes on repeat.

At least the Jazz show
touched on racism
but all the
love-line stuff is boring
. The Tsuritama relationships are just more interesting to watch anyway.

Dresden

I suppose it's supposed to be ironic that I vastly prefer the music of Tsuritama to the diegetic music of the Jazz show, even though it's like the same two themes on repeat.

At least the Jazz show
touched on racism
but all the

you're just not circlejerking hard enough. Visualize an old man blowing on a trumpet in your mind.

I'd say Tsuritama feels similar; the people working on it seem to have said "I really like fishing, so I am going to make a show with a lot of fishing in it." And aliens and whatnot, because why not?

I don't know if it's necessary to say which Noitama show was better this. I think both shows were great, although it's a little sad that Apollon has not enough time for some sideplots of the manga.

And Haru was awesome this week
again
haruawesomewxik0.gif

Sakamichi no Apollon 04
TLjMc.gif

At the very least I like the music so that's a plus. I still like the characters and the backstory was pretty good. I guess this episode didn't blew me away, but I'm still enjoying the show.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I was surprised to find Funimation on this weeks Rooster Teeth podcast talking about the Mass Effect Anime. These might already be known, but some these were the most notable tidbits:
  • Bioware were very tight lipped about the story and wouldn't reveal much about what happened in Mass Effect 3 to the production team beyond what related to James Vega.
  • Mix of 2D art with 3D assests, the latter of which sound like they are reappopriated game assets.
Pretty weird interview otherwise. Not much Funimation could say and not much Rooster Teeth had to ask.

/XX/

You think they could work on a less, er, untenable business model for the company. You know, male things that are slightly less consuming and expensive. There's nothing inherently sustainable about the Miyazaki/Takahata machine.
I'll try to remember to embiggen my diction for you.
I applaud your laudable efforts on tutoring me, good pals. I'll do my best!

Games are not art -- they are games. Is basketball art?
Or computer programs, like Photoshop. Is Photoshop art?
Is Monopoly art?
Are Choose Your Own Adventure novels not art?
Sorry, ignorant peasant here... what is "art" (not 'the Arts' or 'Bellas Artes' but the descriptive "art") anyway? How is contemporaneously used that word? Interestingly, I think that instead of accusations everyone should have stated first what considers "art" (we have to make a database of each member perception out of this) for the discussion to have an starting point so we all could have tackled it and participated on a better position.

I appreciate such a matter to discuss because, frankly, I don't quite understand that kind of abstract label used to lump together everything considered a self-conscious act of expression or communication... isn't everything called "art" just exploitable culture? What isn't economically exploitable nowadays? So... can't anything be monetized? And with this notion... what is left of yourself on something you are doing out of interest? How can anyone testify the authors intentions of pleasing the others interests or pleasing his own interests? Although inherently this are questions about the medium we discuss on here, should I have made a new thread about this or directly shut up? I would be grateful in seeing any of your opinions or responses to this questions, or any other related.

Since the interview was conducted quite a while ago, I wonder why it wasn't posted for a while? And I hope Sakamoto-san is involved.
It would be spectacular because I still wouldn't know what to expect from him or even from that adaptation of The Tale of Princess Kaguya. Can you imagine synth-pop renditions of traditional Japanese music similar to The End of Asia on a movie from Mr. Takahata? Glorious!

And we both are always late, as you can see...
Solune, didn't we talk precisely about our habitual lateness (damn you, time zones!) some time ago?

duckroll

I was surprised to find Funimation on this weeks Rooster Teeth podcast talking about the Mass Effect Anime. These might already be known, but some these were the most notable tidbits:
  • Bioware were very tight lipped about the story and wouldn't reveal much about what happened in Mass Effect 3 to the production team beyond what related to James Vega.
  • Mix of 2D art with 3D assests, the latter of which sound like they are reappopriated game assets.
Pretty weird interview otherwise. Not much Funimation could say and not much Rooster Teeth had to ask.

ROFLMAO! Really P-IG? REALLY?! Lolz. :(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sakamichi no Apollon 4

Kaoru is kind of a whiny brat on occasion, but Sentarou's such an infinite bro.

... And that's exactly why
he doesn't deserve to be NTR'ed. Fuck.
The plot thickens.

There were many cool scenes in this episode. The one I liked the most was during their
play session in the bar,
with Kaoru encouraging Sentarou. The
kiss scene
and the flashback were also pretty good.

Didn't they do that for Kid Icarus too?

Yes, and the shorts were absolute crap.

Tsuritama 04
8FdKT.gif

Well, this show is still one of my favorites for this season. Nice music, some plot that is happening somewhere and fishing is actually fun to watch.

wonzo

Banned
Polar Bear Cafe 5

Yet another fabulous~ epsiode of Polar Bear Cafe. I'll never look at animal themed parfaits the same way ever again.

lmao

Jex

At least the Jazz show
touched on racism
but all the

I almost want to muster a reply to this, but I can't really work out what I want to say.

And the Mass Effect of all this will be outcry and apathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom