• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoto

Bodacious Space Pirates 17

WD3TA.png

Recorder to Randsell 18

Huh, so it's the sister almost getting into trouble this time. Well what do you know. Still not 1 pedo joke this season.

And I think this is the first time we've seen the parents.

Weiß Schwarz 01-04
So sad, I'm too strong in this card game.

So, here we go, on another anime. This time, it is a short anime in length and episode time, 5 minutes each about an anime related card game. It's amusing, short enough where it doesn't become a chore to watch and I could always go for more card based anime.

The characters are amusing, a little one dimensional but being 5 minutes, there isn't much you can do. I like the old guy just for his zaniness in dressing up and being pretty random in general. I don't know how deep this will go and if it'll just aim to show off the cards but the first four episodes were pretty fun to watch at the very least.

Jex

When people watch things like Yami, there's no attempt to prove anything or generally draw attention to the irony of watching a show that's beneath their status as a critical viewer. They watch these shows because they want to enjoy them and because they accept the concept of "so bad it's good" as a valid kind of humor. Because they're still deriving enjoyment from something for the opposite reason intended by the creators this certainly falls under the definition of watching something ironically, but it's purely good-intentioned and shouldn't be confused with the negative kind of ironic behavior that many are more familiar with.

I don't think watching something in a manner not intended by the creators is actually covered by 'irony'. Irony means something else. What you're describing is a resistant reading e.g. reading something from a text other than what was intended.

Jex

On the subject of art, what about interactive art? That's actually... art. I don't think anyone argues that it isn't. So is that different from interactive mediums being considered art? Food for thought.
Midori was originally combined with a particular environment, e.g. a a freakshows to add to the experience of watching the film, although I wouldn't call that interactive art.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jormungand 04
MU8Zk.jpg

The pacing was really weird structurally for this episode. It probably doesn't help that pretty much every scene has some kind of failed kinetic energy, be it action or otherwise. The sound in particular just feels very...off. Both from the perspective of the music and the sound effects themselves. The scene where Koko and the kid are walking around the city would just has these huge backgrounds, but when the shots focus in on anything the two were walking near it's always something small and stupid. In one instance it was a plain metal box sitting in the middle of some elaborate fountain.
Y58a3.jpg

This show has this decent source material but it doesn't really have any idea how to utilize it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kore wa Zombie Of The Dead 04
zmnmF.jpg

I cannot help but be reminded of Working'!! while watching this show. It has essentially cast plot progression off to the side and chosen to work as a comedy within the bounds of what it had already established in the previous season. Unlike Working'!! this show is avoiding just recycling the old jokes, and everything is working out for the better because this series was pretty much garbage when it was serious.

Jex

I have been watching some Japanese MAD sakuga videos and I have come to the realization that I care more about the music used in the videos than the actual content.

Just wish more people bothered naming the songs used.

But but anime is about animation and stuff!

Heathen!
Of games released in 2012 the only ones I've beaten so far are ME3 and Witcher 2 EE, and of the two, Mass Effect was the better game.

Why do you hate Europe?

Jex

I was always curious when you guys mentioned the best directors working on hentai OVAs but damn, this really is staggering.

Is this Cream Lemon OVA god-tier or is it still just another hentai OVA?
Pop Chaser is a fairly amazing and significant anime!

Dresden

lu-pan the third - 04

I had mixed feelings about the episode. Thought it was competent, and somewhat fun to watch, and more along the lines of what I had expected from the show going on. But it also feels rather lethargic at parts, and moreover, I'm not quite so fond of what they've chosen to do with the characters. They all feel like such cynical, spiteful people--with Fujiko herself being this nihilistic, amoral person whose capers amount to nothing more than a manifestation of her self-destructiveness. The OP hints at such and I guess this is where they'll go.

e: the more I think about the episode the less satisfied I get. I think I'll stop and move on to catching up on Tsuritama or Fate/Zero.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Best Student Council 01

nA8LW.jpg

Not sure what to think after the first episode. The back and forth dialogue between Rino and her puppet Pu-chan annoyed the hell outta me. And the fact that said puppet
is the one who takes down the arsonist culprit was just dumb. lol
Most of the character's introductions were irrelevant as they didn't do a damn thing as they watched
a damn puppet take care of their problem.
Might as well have saved their introductions for the next episode when Rino gets a formal welcome into the student council.

I'll continue onward with this in hopes I'll be rewarded with some sort of yuri goodness.

Branduil

lu-pan the third - 04

I had mixed feelings about the episode. Thought it was competent, and somewhat fun to watch, and more along the lines of what I had expected from the show going on. But it also feels rather lethargic at parts, and moreover, I'm not quite so fond of what they've chosen to do with the characters. They all feel like such cynical, spiteful people--with Fujiko herself being this nihilistic, amoral person whose capers amount to nothing more than a manifestation of her self-destructiveness. The OP hints at such and I guess this is where they'll go.

e: the more I think about the episode the less satisfied I get. I think I'll stop and move on to catching up on Tsuritama or Fate/Zero.

Well, at the very least I'm glad I'm not the only person that feels that way about Koike Lupin.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 008
The brolust metre is off the charts.
Kaiser you are too fabulous to die with a whimper. Too bad you are a pedo (how old was Annerose when she was bought?)

Lohengramm = Delita

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There's two things you've just done right now that made you my Nakama for life.

1.) You're on Team Lilly.

2.) You provided me with a Team Lilly song by motherfucking Ken Ashcorp.

My man.

I spent the entire day with that song looping the first time I heard it, hahaha. So good.

Naruto shippuuden movie 5: Blood Prison

Huh.... pretty dark movie for naruto imo. Got implied prison rape, a lot of gruesome deaths by flames and stabbing.

The whole setup was pretty halfassed as well...

A lot of sakuga stuff though, and might be one of the better animated prison brawls I've seen.

Fun stuff overall and the story was one of the better filler ones imo.

bloodprison1.jpg

Accel World 1

That was...kind of good? The fuck?

-Cartman-kun actually behaves like an insecure piece of shit instead of just being generically timid and clueless
-Snow Black is coocoo for cocoa puffs and super creepy
-The pacing was ridiculously fast
one might say it was accelerated selfavatarquote.jpg
-Dat CartmanxTaco bromance

I mean, I can easily see this getting flushed straight down the future-toilet, but there's a slim possibility that it won't.

Magical.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Accel World 1

That was...kind of good? The fuck?

-Cartman-kun actually behaves like an insecure piece of shit instead of just being generically timid and clueless
-Snow Black is coocoo for cocoa puffs and super creepy
-The pacing was ridiculously fast
one might say it was accelerated selfavatarquote.jpg
-Dat CartmanxTaco bromance

I mean, I can easily see this getting flushed straight down the future-toilet, but there's a slim possibility that it won't.

This show is one of the biggest surprises this season. It gets better, as episode 4 was the best one yet.

Episode 3 is has Fate/Zero 1-levels of exposition, though.

Marco 3

This episode basically consisted of Marco running from one place to another with insignificant happenings along the way. That could have been boring, but it was saved by the embarrassing riches of background art that make Genoa come alive and feel like a real three-dimensional place. There were very few repeated backgrounds, and each one connected to the next in a logical manner. I especially liked how it transitioned from the city to the beach. Bookending the episode with nice moments of characterization for Marco's family also helped keep my interest.

I see that Tomino did the storyboard for this episode. Apparently he also worked on Anne of Green Gables. Fancy that.

Saint Seiya Omega 5

Wait a minute. So the Saints are given a test where they go through a forest, being selected for a tournament upon completion, in which case the winner will advance to the middle class? ...This is the friggin Chuunin exam!

Also, Umakoshi must really hate Ichi. It's bad enough he's years behind Jabu's already weak posse; now he's losing out to noob Saints half his age.

Dresden

space brothers - 03

It was kind of odd to watch this after lupan. Here are characters whose passions and dreams are laid out and detailed almost extravagantly, with flashbacks aplenty. It's a good show, a competent show, and while it may not be brilliant there's something reassuring about the consistency it displays.

Miyuki Sawashiro continues to sound hot in just about any role. It was kind of odd later on in the episode when we switched from Serika's monologue to Mutta's childhood flashback, as she voices his younger self as well. The two sound too similar. (Also I can't decide if being dad-zoned is a good thing or not)

Looking at who worked on this episode, all I can think of is how no one watched House of Five Leaves the brilliant ED from the final episode of TWGOK.

wonzo

Banned
Have they finished releasing the BD's for the Presona 4 anime in Japan yet? I just finished the Giant Bomb ED and I want to see if it's any more enjoyable having actually "experienced" the original game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Best Student Council 01

http://i.imgur.com/nA8LW.jpg

Not sure what to think after the first episode. The back and forth dialogue between Rino and her puppet Pu-chan annoyed the hell outta me. And the fact that said puppet
is the one who takes down the arsonist culprit was just dumb. lol
Most of the character's introductions were irrelevant as they didn't do a damn thing as they watched
a damn puppet take care of their problem.
Might as well have saved their introductions for the next episode when Rino gets a formal welcome into the student council.

I'll continue onward with this in hopes I'll be rewarded with some sort of yuri goodness.

Holy shit, you actually started this. Awesome!

Articalys

Medaka Box 5

Good, they skipped right over the terrible painting chapter and moved onto the swim meet, continuing at the basic two-chapters-per-episode pace. Not much to say, really, though Shiranui fans will probably enjoy this one.

It's still a really underwhelming adaptation so far, even for the weakest part of the series.

lol JYB

Dear Bleach,

We've had some great times together but...I think it's time for us to see other people. It's not you, it's me. Hope we can still be friends.

p.s. Can I have my voice back? I think I left it at your house.

...in case you're wondering, I lost my voice dubbing BLEACH and couldn't sing for our show tonight...I'm a little bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom