• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Reasons to watch, and like, Bodacious Space Pirates:

-If you like good female lead characters
-If you like sci-fi television shows like Star Trek and similar
-If you like spacefaring and spaceships
-If you like good, high quality anime
-If you like privateers
-If you like yuri (with or without goggles)

I like all of these things.

But I did not like Bodacious Space Pirates!

cajunator

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, that's probably a must-watch show.

The best of the year.

Yeah Space Pirates is pretty great.

Also Magical Witch Punie Chan is definitely a recommendation. Its short, its insane, and its hilarious.

I really like it. It has a sort of old school Star Trek-feel to a lot of it, with the way challenges are solved, and there's attention to various little details that give it the "proper sci-fi" feel the author was going for. No magic powers or emotion-powered mecha.

The protagonist is likable, and while she's naturally talented and intelligent, she's not a super-prodigy, so she still has to learn the ropes. (Although we do get an abbreviated training montage at one point.) She herself is young, but she's supported by a crew of experienced adults, so it doesn't come off as ridiculous that they're able to take on the challenges they do.

The title had people expecting pirate fighting action, and instead the protagonists are law-abiding privateers doing odd-jobs in peacetime, so there's been a betrahyed-expectations backlash from a good chunk of viewers. Don't expect it to be combat-focused, but it does have some tense action scenes here and there.

Also contains lesbians and Sailor Moon.

Yeah its pretty rad.

Does "pirate" have a different meaning in Japanese?

In this show, piracy requires a license and is actually used in some cases as performance art. Its a interesting take on the subject.

Narag

It's a show about pirates who are only pirates for entertainment purposes. They raid cruise liners who have paid them before hand to imitate a pirate raid, thus entertaining the passengers. It's got a cast of (seemingly) good characters, none of which the writers delve into. It's also got bad loli characters that the show is obsessed with and for some reason, won't let go. It's aimless and is only worth watching if you like Marika (the main character) or the loli princesses.

First half of the above sounds neat, second half not so much.

Makoto

As you can tell, I'm bitter. Put me in the group that Kagami mentioned earlier about feeling betrayed by its name. There's nothing bodacious about the show and if anything, they're merely space entertainers.

As of ep. 17, we haven't seen any knife ships in several episodes, actually.
But these were in episode 17:
wfbp3.jpg

I'll believe it when I see it.
How about you actually try it then?

It's produced by Satelight.
So? I have no idea what the studio's history is, but they've done a very good job.

It's not nearly as bad as that makes it sound.

I like all of these things.

But I did not like Bodacious Space Pirates!
How much of it did you actually watch? The first episode is one of the worst, and while I liked it all along, most people didn't start liking it until the second arc (after ep 5-6).

Yeah Space Pirates is pretty great.

Also Magical Witch Punie Chan is definitely a recommendation. Its short, its insane, and its hilarious.
Certainly true, yes. :)

Yeah its pretty rad.
Yeah, it's the kind of thing anime has almost never done -- an anime adaptation of a traditional space opera TV show. Anime just doesn't usually do this kind of thing, more's the pity, but this does, and it does a great job with it too!

Defuser

Rick's Bread ep4
Rick is not blushing at neris / xiao mei swimsuits? Does he swings the other way?

How do they managed to get the box out of the ship since it was too damn heavy?

Why is this plot getting to no where?

As you can tell, I'm bitter. Put me in the group that Kagami mentioned earlier about feeling betrayed by its name. There's nothing bodacious about the show and if anything, they're merely space entertainers.
Who cares what they are? It really doesn't matter. And the name's perfectly good; the show's plenty bodacious, particularly at times like when they fight the villains in the first arc, or in the space storm in the second, or times like that.

Oh, and the current arc, with Jenny, sure doesn't involve space entertaining anymore... that's their day job, but their real missions are more challenging things. Saying "they're just space entertainers" is being disingenuous. They're more than that.

Are they pirates, though? No, privateers aren't technically pirates. But usually the two are conflated together, so the title's okay, if not entirely accurate.

But these were in episode 17:
That looks different from the other knife ships. More of a sword ship perhaps?

sonicmj1

Sankarea 5

I liked this episode better than the last one, with the exception of all that stuff in the last two minutes. That was kinda...

i7MDV.jpg

If I could have turned my brain off in this way, it would have bothered me less.

Anyways, the direction and editing were much stronger in this episode, even though very little happened. I like the atmosphere of Furuya's daily life. It's nice watching his family, but it's also interesting to see the ways that his secret is starting to wear on him.

VIp56.jpg

It's also interesting to see that he is a cat.

And there's some great background work in the first part of this episode, with Ranko walking around town. The long shots are pretty, but they also create some effective emotional distance, even in the middle of the day. Come to think of it, the style in that particular section (combined with the relative lack of other life) is kind of reminiscent of Bakemonogatari.

pVMq8.jpg

Even though her underclassman is close to Ranko the entire time, they don't seem very close, because of shots like this. Also, the background in this shot looks much lazier than I realized before I took this cap. Not that it's really a problem.

So besides the gratuitous stuff at the end, this was encouraging. I'm definitely on board until the end.

--

I don't have time to watch everything right when it comes out, but I want to avoid reading episode impressions on GAF before I watch stuff in the future. I feel like it colors my perception, which makes it harder to contribute new things.

Cwarrior

one piece 545

you know that feeling when someone tells there going to get you when you least expect it then your left there every waking moment knowing in suspense at anytime they could pop out and rip your heart out with there bare hands, yeah it something like that watching this episode.

now there just trolling with those false alarms

Lupin the 3rd: Fujitits 5

They really went over board with that shading effect this episode. All in all it was a fun episode though I'm finding it hard to get invested in the characters when it feels like there is never anything at stake.

the chemistry between the cast make me forget about the "bodacious "part of the name ..

The lead knows what she is doing , and has a whole cast to support her that does what is intended..the premise while misleading by the name does a good job explaining things , why things ahppens , why they can't do that , ect ect i never felt lost ..

the second part managed to make a tension and some excitement out of nothing for the treasure quest ..and the plot moves !!!

People getting stuck at the "pirate" part and asking why they don't do pirate stuff are maybe true , but one piece doesn't do this either ( generic pirate stuff ) and nobody complains .

survivor

Banned
Bodacious Space Pirates 1

I'm sorry but
Chiaki > Marika

A slow episode but it was alright. Liked all the characters introduced and only thing I wanted was more techno babble. Also Google in the future is too wacky.

edit: I don't even know what bodacious means so I'm like totally lost on all these arguments about the name

Uchip

Banned
but one piece doesn't do this either ( generic pirate stuff ) and nobody complains .

What? Pirates in One Piece are outlaws, that sail on the ocean with a sail ship that has canons and a jolly roger, searching for treasure, fighting each other and drinking booze...
Even the Straw Hats who are less morally corrupt partake in all of these things to an extent.

Defuser

Eureka AO ep 4
Yeah I can fucking bet that Fleur would be totally all over Ao. I do like that BGM when they decided to go with Ao's plan. It's giving me storywriter vibes although they're not the same.

What is the "hook" of Natsuiro Kiseki? Does it have onE?

isY0Ym.jpg

:(

It sounds like you're not the kind of person that takes pleasure in a collection/library. I'd sell all of my media before I'd toss the boxes and keep the discs!

The truth doesn't matter. Getting people to watch does!
You guys are never going to get anyone to watch it if you keep saying its actually good. That never works with this crowd.

Lupin the 3rd: Fujitits 5

They really went over board with that shading effect this episode. All in all it was a fun episode though I'm finding it hard to get invested in the characters when it feels like there is never anything at stake.
Jigen's life was at stake throughout the majority of the episode. If Lupin hadn't been interrupted by traps, a mutual desire to solve a puzzle, and a friggin' peacock in the middle of the Egyptian desert, he probably would have tried to injure Jigen. There is the possibility that Lupin might have shot away from Jigen in such a scenario, considering his gentleman's conduct and how he becomes chummy with Jiggy over the episode's duration, but Lupin is the one setting up most of the early traps and the one with the most competence within the pyramid. They could have killed each other if they really tried and didn't become the object of deus ex machina. Working together, though, worked out much better.

Of course, the lives of each regular is usually what's most at stake in each episode, yet the real joy of the series so far has been the characterization and relationships developing in this origin-story series. Fujiko's the character I care about least right now, mainly because she's never been as interesting throughout the franchise's history as the others are, and her development is probably going to be covered in the second half exclusively.

What? Pirates in One Piece are outlaws, that sail on the ocean with a sail ship that has canons and a jolly roger, searching for treasure, fighting each other and drinking booze...
Even the Straw Hats who are less morally corrupt partake in all of these things to an extent.

i meant in the way that they don't attack ships for tresaure , they ( the OP crew ) are looking for adventure , for lost tresaure and doing what they feel are right along the way..

In the same veins , aside their job , they do ( the pirates in bodacious ) whatever they want even if they coexist inside a system..and thus have limits .. For me they have small limits but outside of that , they can do as they please ..they certainly are not simple privatteers

Sankarea 5
tumblr_m3ivk1orXr1r6ccrqo4_250.gif

Rea is really uninteresting, I will have to join the furuya wanko camp. The best moments were the laughing scenes and then that ending sequence.
why was wanko just standing there starring letting furuya suffocate :/

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sankarea 5
Rea is really uninteresting, I will have to join the furuya wanko camp. The best moments were the laughing scenes and then that ending sequence.

Because
from her perspective they were just kissing.

sonicmj1

Sankarea 5
tumblr_m3ivk1orXr1r6ccrqo4_250.gif

She spent the majority of the episode
motionless in a closet
. Of course she was uninteresting.

Actually, when it came to end of episode stuff, I thought the
"kiss" stuff worked well as a subversion of Furuya's expectations, as opposed to the random breast groping immediately prior, which was really out of place.

The sales thread over at the Mania forums that I like to follow has just had a detailed post about the current status of preorders for the season, and I thought some of its findings were interesting enough to share. Nothing is set in stone, of course, but distinguishing yourself from the pack early on is a promising sign. To summarize:

The best-performing shows are Nyarko; then Accel World, Eureka Seven AO, and Hyouka; then Jormungand, Sakamichi no Apollon (!), and Saki.

The worst-performing shows, almost certainly total bombs, are Acchi Kocchi, Hiiro no Kakera, Shining Hearts, Sengoku Collection, and Upotte.

The sales thread over at the Mania forums that I like to follow has just had a detailed post about the current status of preorders for the season, and I thought some of its findings were interesting enough to share. Nothing is set in stone, of course, but distinguishing yourself from the pack early on is a promising sign. To summarize:

The best-performing shows are Nyarko; then Accel World, Eureka Seven AO, and Hyouka; then Jormungand, Sakamichi no Apollon (!), and Saki.

The worst-performing shows, almost certainly total bombs, are Acchi Kocchi, Hiiro no Kakera, Shining Hearts, Sengoku Collection, and Upotte.

Darn for Kakera :/ Even worst for medaka box.

Kagami

I really wonder what they're thinking airing Upotte the way they are.
NicoNico live stream only. (400-line resolution or whatever it is). No timeshift, no archive, no TV broadcast, no HD. Either you're on your computer at 11:30PM on Saturday, or you don't see that week's episode. Oh yeah, and if you're not a premium member, be prepared to be kicked off the stream when capacity is full.

Meanwhile, outside Japan, you can watch it whenever you feel like it on Crunchryoll, and in HD if you're a paying member.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Good.

Shame about Acchi Kocchi, though. Upotte!! never had a chance with the NicoNico-only scheme.

Defuser

Not surprising what's popular and what's a bomba although Jormangund is a surprise considering the show is lacking. Acchi Kocchi is kinda slow and boring(COME AT ME BRO!).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Rick's Bread ep4
Rick is not blushing at neris / xiao mei swimsuits? Does he swings the other way?

Everyone on the island got there by washing up on shore with a particularly severe form of amnesia that erases any knowledge of sex. Families only get children by plucking them right off of the beach.

Jormungand being high on the preorder list surprises me. Is the manga from which it's adapted really popular?

survivor

Banned

I'm only watching Nyarko from the successful anime and it deserves the success.

Jormungand being high on the preorder list surprises me. Is the manga from which it's adapted really popular?
Last volume sold around 70k copies. Not extremely popular.

Dead

well not really...yet
Interesting that E7AO seems to be charting that high on pre-orders. The original series was kinda infamously trolled throughout its run on 2ch due to the pitiful 7am ratings and less than stellar DVD sales (less than stellar considering the expectations and initial budget, the series averaged like 7-8000 units, while Bandai Visual was no doubt expecting something in the 20,000+ considering the initial push)

I guess Time + SRW did a lot to raise the series profile, since even the movie sold 20,000+ units IIRC.

I really wonder what they're thinking airing Upotte the way they are.
NicoNico live stream only. (400-line resolution or whatever it is). No timeshift, no archive, no TV broadcast, no HD. Either you're on your computer at 11:30PM on Saturday, or you don't see that week's episode. Oh yeah, and if you're not a premium member, be prepared to be kicked off the stream when capacity is full.

Meanwhile, outside Japan, you can watch it whenever you feel like it on Crunchryoll, and in HD if you're a paying member.

Nico's setup kind of... defeats the whole purpose of online streaming. How in the world can people approve such a messed-up system?

The manga has sold 40-70k per volume, so not that popular. I don't understand it either.

Defuser

Jormangund is really a puzzle, could be riding the coattails of Steins;Gate success? They're both animated by White fox.

wonzo

Banned
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 4

It's not often you see a show continue to one up itself each and every episode. I guess having an awful introductory ep helps quite a fair bit but it's still rather impressive. I'd recommend giving it a second chance if you understandably dropped it after ep1 as it's gotten really good.

well deserved

Everyone on the island got there by washing up on shore with a particularly severe form of amnesia that erases any knowledge of sex. Families only get children by plucking them right off of the beach.
ricksbread2f.jpg

I was under the impression that 'airtime' ratings have been getting lower year-on-year, but that the show is doing extremely well on the BBC iPlayer and on the DVD releases.

The overnights are down, but the timeshifted ratings are in line with the past (down from 2008, but in line with what the show has generally averaged). Since the BBC isn't a commercial network, the overnight ratings don't really mean much of anything.

Instro

Well...at least its not Persona.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saint Seiya Omega 3

So
are they ever going to address the reason that female Saints gotta wear masks? Cause I see no logical reason for such an arbitrary rule.
Because chauvinism.
The overnights are down, but the timeshifted ratings are in line with the past (down from 2008, but in line with what the show has generally averaged). Since the BBC isn't a commercial network, the overnight ratings don't really mean much of anything.
It's gonna be very difficult for the show to make 2008-esque ratings again. The buzz surrounding the end to series four was simply phenomenal, not to mention all the star power involved in the finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom