• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Many times it is something they can do, but you have already said how things are:

Many in-betweeners, outsider of the animation studio in charge of production and normally working on studios that handle outsourced tasks, are temporary workers paid a misery on a per-drawing basis, so they have to be fast enough to accumulate a big quota if they want to live. At that point I don't think they care too much for so-so character body/model proportions, and usually their work is going to end up being corrected anyway, so there is a leeway on their responsibilities.

Im just saying if it was me personally I wouldnt be able to turn in artwork with derpface. Getting facial proportions right is very important to me with my own art.

I cant actually think of an

which were they?

Well usually for space shows the characters belong to some sort of academy. I cant think of any high school settings in space either.

Cwarrior

Apparently the mask thing came about because the author of original Saint Seiya needed an excuse to not show a certain character's face.

And the element stuff is still pretty vague. There was never any defined affinity in other iterations of the franchise. It was just always self-explanatory stuff (like Phoenix Ikki will obviously have attacks with fire).

I don't really remember this myself but on wiki it says felmale warriors should wear a mask to give up on there woman hood, then there was thing about after seiya cracked shana mask in the first episode, shana had one of two choice either to kill seiya or to marry him (thank god I don't really remember that)

I wouldn't take much of it seriously since the mangka is know to retcon and pull stuff out his/her ass.

I would guess the mask is there to cover up the girl saints hideous face in saint seiya omega.

Uchip

Banned
Well usually for space shows the characters belong to some sort of academy. I cant think of any high school settings in space either.

Well theres that, but I meant specifically fantasy/not earth type settings
Actually the original Eureka 7 kind of counts (for part of the first episode)

Uchip

Banned
Ricks Bread should be cancelled and remade as Xiao Mei's Antiques
and there would be water involved in every episode

Well, Moretsu Space Pirates airing now is the one that immediately comes to mind.

havent heard much about that show, is it good?

wonzo

Banned
Yurumate 3Dei 5

yurumate5.jpg

It's no wonder they turned to drinking.

/XX/

Im just saying if it was me personally I wouldnt be able to turn in artwork with derpface. Getting facial proportions right is very important to me with my own art.
And I'm with you on that, after all "la cara es el espejo del alma" as we say in Spanish (could be the "the face is the mirror of the soul" a good translation? Is "the eyes are..." maybe better said?). It is the thing we focus the most and consequently is easier to notice defects, faithful expressions are difficult to achieve too depending on the character design (and its complexity), but well... they have to work with what they can, and if sacrifices have to be made... that is one of the first things that is gonna be affected.

NeonZ

Saint Seiya Omega 3

So
are they ever going to address the reason that female Saints gotta wear masks? Cause I see no logical reason for such an arbitrary rule.

I was under the impression that all Saints follow the natural elements plus light and dark, but from this episode, I'm guessing there are other Saints that don't? So like does each Saint get his own gimmick or something and the chosen ones are the ones that follow the elements?

The elemental stuff is addressed one episode later. Saints didn't use to have to learn element control, but the new cloths they use in Omega work better alongside elements, so now the ones that can't do that are considered weak.

Well theres that, but I meant specifically fantasy/not earth type settings
Actually the original Eureka 7 kind of counts (for part of the first episode)

Now when you say fantasy settings, you mean something where the fantasy aspect is already integrated into the world and not some secret thing hidden from the public and/or a high schooler being whisked off to some other world? If so, there's a few.

Air Gear, Blue Exorcist, Choujin Gakuen, Esprit, Maburaho, Maken-ki, Medaka Box, Shingeki no kyojin, Yozakura Quartet. And that's just off the top of my head.

Uchip

Banned
Now when you say fantasy settings, you mean something where the fantasy aspect is already integrated into the world and not some secret thing hidden from the public and/or a high schooler being whisked off to some other world? If so, there's a few.

Air Gear, Blue Exorcist, Choujin Gakuen, Esprit, Maburaho, Maken-ki, Medaka Box, Shingeki no kyojin, Yozakura Quartet. And that's just off the top of my head.

Oh, I meant a world that isnt specifically real/ours. I guess Princess Tutu is one of them.
Im actually reading choujin gakuen (thanks to you) but thats not anim :p

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mirai Nikki - Another:World 1

Huh. That wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be.

Example: the diary and death effects are pretty cool. And I'd have a lot of trouble trying to avoid this Yuno:

But the action was terrible, hahaha. And it's a bit disturbing that this Yuno
would lose in a fight against someone like Third.

The plot is completely different from the manga/anime's, though. And I'm interested in where this
different group of characters
will go, so I'll probably keep watching - but not posting impressions, so don't worry.

But Rin was whisked away to the hidden realm of the exorcists, which require special keys to access? Spirits that only exorcists can see too.

wonzo

Banned
Yurume is so moe.
shame about the ahoge

Is this a show about anthropomorphized bush babies or something?
kinda

Yurume, an 18-year old "ronin" and recent high school graduate, has high hopes of being accepted and attending Tokyo University. She moves into an apartment complex, the Maison du Wish, located on the outskirts of Tokyo where other ronins living there are studying for upcoming college acceptance exams.​

Of course, the double-dealing that strip denounces with irony is one of the most annoying things from this argument. You know, The Great Velázquez was a King's shill, and that does not mean the commissioned works he made are of a lesser "art". Every craftsman should be equally respected, in my opinion.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I don't know that artist by name, but lots of artists in the past worked on commissions, instead of just in purely artistic pursuits... their works are not less valuable just because of that. The same applies today, certainly.

So yeah, I entirely agree with Calvin & Hobbes' take on the matter.

But Hana Iro had Ohana sexhair, Minchi, bitchslapping grandmother, bondage, and DAT OP. Natsuiro has none of these things.
Instead, it has cuteness and some actual magic.

i'd watch Magical Witch Punie-chan first.

Lyrical Tokarev, kill them all! ~♪
Yeah, that's probably a must-watch show. So crazy... :lol

What was Idolm@ster Xenoglossia like? Was it like AKB0048 or vastly different?
I know it was said earlier, but Xenoglossia is essentially an entirely different thing from Idolmaster. Sure, all of the same characters appear, or at least most of them, with some different ones like a different, much older Producer, and no Miki unfortunately, but they're all quite different from how they are in the Imas anime, or the games. For instance, the main character's still the same, but she has more actual character here; she's actually a good lead, really. Her co-lead is her giant robot
who is also pretty much her boyfriend, essentially
. The other characters are even more different... some are villains from the beginning, some are traitors, and there are a few new characters too. There's lots of fighting (mostly in the mechas), action, and plot drama to be found. Yes, it's a Sunrise mecha show through and through.

Overall, I liked the first half of Xenoglossia, but didn't like it as much in the second half, after the series takes a dark turn and lots of bad stuff starts to happen. I think it was better as a happier show... it gets serious later on.

It's a subversion of Sunrise genre tropes of the time disguised as a typical Sunrise genre show that actually has very little to do with iM@S.

I think it's an interesting show, many, many people disagree with that statement. It's nothing like AKB0048, in any case.
Subversion, really? How so? It seemed more typically Sunrise-ey than subversion, I thought... I mean, it doesn't just subvert those tropes, it certainly follows most of them.

What was Jarmel banned for? I didn't see any naughty bits in the two gifs he posted. Just some stock-standard groping.
That groping went too far.

Well, yeah. I've actually read up a bit more on the 4koma stuff, and it gets pretty surprisingly racy at times, but like you said, they're double meanings, so the fanservice and "creepy" stuff can be taken two ways, one of which is creepy because "OMG, THEY'RE MIDDLE SCHOOLERS!" but the other isn't because "Oh wait, they're guns, so this makes sense". The logic of the series is inherently different due to the nature of the characters, and while they're clearly humanoid characters meant to be related to on a human level, they're ultimately not human, so I don't really hold them to the same standards because the application of those standards have different implications. See where I'm coming from? I'm not denying that in some contexts the fanservice can be creepy, and as much as the studentxteacher thing is played up for laughs, it can still get uncomfortable sometimes. But that's not the point. The point is Cute Guns doing Gun things. :p
I see the case you're trying to make here, but I think that it's probably as much an excuse as it is a reason, unfortunately... :)

I mean, of course you're technically correct, but the obvious goal is the obvious goal all the same. It's still super fanservicey with creepyness, regardless of how you can explain it away. Sure, it all has double meanings, but I don't think I can entirely consider those excuses.

ALL AWESOME. >:D
No, some parts aren't. But sure, at least part of the show is good, I'll agree with that.

The best of the year.

survivor

Banned
Saint Seiya Omega 4

Saint Saiya, why you no follow Pokemon elements rules? Water > fire is understandable. Fire > wind? Sure. Wind > Electricity? Hell no. And Electricity > Earth? But that shouldn't work. Earth is either immune if it's assumed to be ground or stronger if it's grass. And then there is Earth > Water which kinda makes sense

But anyway, tournament talk is making me excited. Also I liked this Dragon Shield thingy. I'm hoping for more weapons/accessories from the Clothes.

Kagami

I really like it. It has a sort of old school Star Trek-feel to a lot of it, with the way challenges are solved, and there's attention to various little details that give it the "proper sci-fi" feel the author was going for. No magic powers or emotion-powered mecha.

The protagonist is likable, and while she's naturally talented and intelligent, she's not a super-prodigy, so she still has to learn the ropes. (Although we do get an abbreviated training montage at one point.) She herself is young, but she's supported by a crew of experienced adults, so it doesn't come off as ridiculous that they're able to take on the challenges they do.

The title had people expecting pirate fighting action, and instead the protagonists are law-abiding privateers doing odd-jobs in peacetime, so there's been a betrayed-expectations backlash from a good chunk of viewers. Don't expect it to be combat-focused, but it does have some tense action scenes here and there.

Also contains lesbians and Sailor Moon.

I really like it. It has a sort of old school Star Trek-feel to a lot of it, with the way challenges are solved, and there's attention to various little details that give it the "proper sci-fi" feel the author was going for. No magic powers or emotion-powered mecha.

The protagonist is likable, and while she's naturally talented and intelligent, she's not a super-prodigy, so she still has to learn the ropes. (Although we do get an abbreviated training montage at one point.) She herself is young, but she's supported by a crew of experienced adults, so it doesn't come off as ridiculous that they're able to take on the challenges they do.

The title had people expecting pirate fighting action, and instead the protagonists are law-abiding privateers doing odd-jobs in peacetime, so there's been a betrayed-expectations backlash from a good chunk of viewers. Don't expect it to be combat-focused, but it does have some tense action scenes here and there.

Does "pirate" have a different meaning in Japanese?

Eureka Seven AO 4
tumblr_m3iog00Fkh1rqyzc2o4_250.gif

Ao is pretty cool when put in the right moments, unfortunately they spent too much time focus on other stuff that made 70% of the episodes a chore to get through. The monsters still gave me symphogear vibes. The pacing makes it feel like it ought to be 52 episodes.

survivor

Banned

One Piece in space but with lesbians and more talk and less fights? I have been meaning to watch it since last season but I kept getting distracted and ended up watching bunch of other shit.

Is Star Trek like Doctor Who? Cause that's the only sci-fi TV show I ever bothered to watch.

Yo Gaf, dunno if this is a tall order, but I'm looking to jump into Lupin for the first time and I don't know what order I should view the films/shows. I looked at the list of productions and its rather daunting. At the very least, I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of which one to watch first.

Makoto

One Piece in space but with lesbians and more talk and less fights? I have been meaning to watch it since last season but I kept getting distracted and ended up watching bunch of other shit.

Is Star Trek like Doctor Who? Cause that's the only sci-fi TV show I ever bothered to watch.
It's a show about pirates who are only pirates for entertainment purposes. They raid cruise liners who have paid them before hand to imitate a pirate raid, thus entertaining the passengers. It's got a cast of (seemingly) good characters, none of which the writers delve into. It's also got bad loli characters that the show is obsessed with and for some reason, won't let go. It's aimless and is only worth watching if you like Marika (the main character) or the loli princesses.

It's a show about pirates who are only pirates for entertainment purposes. They raid cruise liners who have paid them before hand to imitate a pirate raid, thus entertaining the passengers. It's got a cast of (seemingly) good characters, none of which the writers delve into. It's also got bad loli characters that the show is obsessed with and for some reason, won't let go. It's aimless and is only worth watching if you like Marika (the main character) or the loli princesses.
That sounds... yeah.

But how can anyone not like Marika?

Reasons to watch, and like, Bodacious Space Pirates:

-If you like good female lead characters
-If you like sci-fi television shows like Star Trek and similar
-If you like spacefaring and spaceships
-If you like good, high quality anime
-If you like privateers
-If you like yuri (with or without goggles)

And it's got good characters, decent enough plot arcs, a great sea music-inspired soundtrack, reasonably good visuals, and more, too. It really is easily (easily!) the best anime so far this year. It's so much better than most of the stuff out there... the show's pace is somewhat slow a lot of the time, but the quality is so high, and the sci-fi goodness always present, that the minor blemishes (such as that some of the more anime elements are kind of lame, but oh well) aren't very important at all.

That sounds... yeah.
If you have any interest in sci-fi at all, it's far better than that lukewarm paragraph makes it sound.

Reasons to watch, and like, Bodacious Space Pirates:

-If you like sci-fi television shows like Star Trek and similar
-If you like spacefaring and spaceships.

Only problem is were on the brink of ep 20 and we still see the same knife looking ships, so well in that regard its not really doing good at having a diverse line up of enough space ships to please people. Though the other of these are reasons I keep watching.

Kagami

Erica Friedman gave it an 8 out of 10, then later upgraded it to 10 out of 10!
She's all respectable and stuff; you should trust her.

Only problem is were on the brink of ep 20 and we still see the same knife looking ships, so well in that regard its not really doing good at having a diverse line up of enough space ships to please people. Though the other of these are reasons I keep watching.

As of ep. 17, we haven't seen any knife ships in several episodes, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom