• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Have animators just kind of forgotten how to proportion anime faces and such? Its not that difficult. Unless they are insanely rushed and have a "fuck it thats good enough" kind of attitude. That is probably closer to the truth.

imagesqtbnANd9GcT0WSY-DYq8wxgZ0FkAz.jpg

Cwarrior

One piece 544- am sure at this point the ocean in one piece is made up of manly tears

I like the whole soft water colour look this arc is going for in order to match oda vision in one of the FI arc artwork.

each arc has it's own look

is it me or does this area also remind of legend of zelda skyward sword water temple/ water dragons lair

I love this about most shounens they take you way from those blahh highschool setting or the nothingness of space and take you to these imaginative and interesting settings.

Jex

Yeah I touched on this in my post about the show last night, those several minutes of Ranko wandering around town were very enjoyable, even if nothing was really happening. Good visual direction with lots of nice art to look at. In general this episode gave me hope that the show can still maintain a good level of quality even though it has stepped away from the tone present in the first 3 episodes.

Once again, that scene is something that came straight from the creators of the anime, not the manga. Most of the scenes that they've inserted, or rearranged, allow the show to focus on the the normal day to day activities of the protagonist and his family. This careful approach to characterisation and tone seem drastically at odds with the fanservice stuff, which seems to have come from another show entirely.

Theonik

Have animators just kind of forgotten how to proportion anime faces and such? Its not that difficult. Unless they are insanely rushed and have a "fuck it thats good enough" kind of attitude. That is probably closer to the truth.
I would think they just don't really care anymore and go with a style of sorts. I mean you have things like Madoka for example that obviously makes no sense proportion wise but is probably an intentional choice since it does so consistently.

You overestimate the quality of working conditions in animation studios. I doubt you'd be able to say "It's so easy!" if you were one of the unfortunate grunt workers slaving away.

cajunator

Banned
One piece 544- am sure at this point the the ocean in one piece is made up of manly tears

I like the whole soft water colour look this arc is going for in order to match oda vision in one of the FI arc artwork.

each arc has it's own look

is it me or does this area also remind of legend of zelda skyward sword water temple/ water dragons lair

I love this about most shounens they take you way from those blahh highschool setting or the nothingness of space and take you to these imaginative and interesting settings.

That's rather gorgeous. Also, it DOES look like the Water Dragon lair in Zelda skyward Sword! the artwork in that game is amazing.

cajunator

Banned
You overestimate the quality of working conditions in animation studios. I doubt you'd be able to say "It's so easy!" if you were one of the unfortunate grunt workers slaving away.

I don't overestimate anything. Aligning the eyes should be something any professional animator can do consistently. Unless they simply don't give a shit.

survivor

Banned
Saint Seiya Omega 3

So
are they ever going to address the reason that female Saints gotta wear masks? Cause I see no logical reason for such an arbitrary rule.

I was under the impression that all Saints follow the natural elements plus light and dark, but from this episode, I'm guessing there are other Saints that don't? So like does each Saint get his own gimmick or something and the chosen ones are the ones that follow the elements?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
YES!
M
U
S
T
G
O
T
A
L
L
E
R
!

well that's not very imaginative or interesting your still trapped in that tiny highschool box now it's just got decorations around it.
Well, at least the One Piece characters are all adults now!

What is the "hook" of Natsuiro Kiseki? Does it have onE?
It's just another four girl angst show. I suppose the "hook" is that one of them is moving soon, so it's supposed to be all :firehawk because it's their last summer together.
And, of course, since it's their last summer together, little miracles start to happen.

I don't overestimate anything. Aligning the eyes should be something any professional animator can do consistently. Unless they simply don't give a shit.

When you're underpaid and overworked, I imagine it's hard to retain a commitment to quality.

Saint Seiya Omega 3

So
are they ever going to address the reason that female Saints gotta wear masks? Cause I see no logical reason for such an arbitrary rule.

They dealt with that in that very episode.
It's sexism. Similar to the head coverings that some religious sects mandate, women are supposed to wear masks for reasons of modesty.

cajunator

Banned
YES!
M
U
S
T
G
O
T
A
L
L
E
R
!

Well, at least the One Piece characters are all adults now!

It's just another four girl angst show. I suppose the "hook" is that one of them is moving soon, so it's supposed to be all :firehawk because it's their last summer together.
And, of course, since it's their last summer together, little miracles start to happen.

That does sound generic/boring.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What is the "hook" of Natsuiro Kiseki? Does it have onE?

It doesn't have one at all. It's about four girls who have always been friends and are about to get separated because one of them is going away.

Oh, and there's
a rock that grants wishes.
Yeah, that could be it.

Accel World 5
tumblr_m3iqk7mcv51qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

Finally we get an actual good character design. Takumu was pretty stunning and really I was rather impressed by him the entire episode. The sheer emotional tension driving him and Haruyuki
then the lead in to Haruyuki doing the amazing. Then to most importantly getting Takumu on his side and restoring the bonds of a broken friendship. I was pretty glad. I think they handled it quite well and with Takumu actually having all of the character traits that are lacking in Haruyuki, I think I can really actually enjoy this anime to the fullest now
. Takumu's english was great and best combat avy.

On the ending stuff
how in the world did Kuroyukihime get the best of the duel avatars. Wow, apart from no wings it is stunning. I wish we got models as that Black Lotus and Silver Crow would be the ones that I wouldnt mind trying to pick up. I cant wait to see her special move.

Saint Seiya Omega 3

So

I was under the impression that all Saints follow the natural elements plus light and dark, but from this episode, I'm guessing there are other Saints that don't? So like does each Saint get his own gimmick or something and the chosen ones are the ones that follow the elements?

Apparently the mask thing came about because the author of original Saint Seiya needed an excuse to not show a certain character's face.

And the element stuff is still pretty vague. There was never any defined affinity in other iterations of the franchise. It was just always self-explanatory stuff (like Phoenix Ikki will obviously have attacks with fire).

/XX/

Many times it is something they can do, but you have already said how things are:

Many in-betweeners, outsider of the animation studio in charge of production and normally working on studios that handle outsourced tasks, are temporary workers paid a misery on a per-drawing basis, so they have to be fast enough to accumulate a big quota if they want to live. At that point I don't think they care too much for so-so character body/model proportions, and usually their work is going to end up being corrected anyway, so there is a leeway on their responsibilities.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Apparently the mask thing came about because the author of original Saint Seiya needed an excuse to not show a certain character's face.

Yeah. He needed to hide Marin's face because he wanted to imply
that she was Seiya's long lost sister. Marin and his sister had the same age, the same birth place, the same height, and even the same birthday. In the end, though, they were different persons.

It certainly helped the first episode of Fate/Zero. I think a lot of drama could benefit from 40 minute episodes, but I doubt it ever happens. You're effectively doubling the amount of work that would need to be done for each episode, which would make sticking to a strict TV schedule very difficult unless a show had a ridiculous amount of lead time. Most studios seem to have a hard enough time as it is.

40 minute episodes would really help shows like Kids on the Slope and Wandering Son, though. It's a nice idea, but probably not feasible.
I look forward to watching the infamous first episode of Fate/Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom