• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best-performing shows are Nyarko; then Accel World, Eureka Seven AO, and Hyouka; then Jormungand, Sakamichi no Apollon (!), and Saki.

The worst-performing shows, almost certainly total bombs, are Acchi Kocchi, Hiiro no Kakera, Shining Hearts, Sengoku Collection, and Upotte.

Awesome for Nyarko and Hyouka.

Shame about Acchi Kocchi though.

I am glad to not see Tsuritama on the worst-performing list though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mirai Nikki - Another:World 1

Huh. That wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be.

Example: the diary and death effects are pretty cool. And I'd have a lot of trouble trying to avoid this Yuno:

But the action was terrible, hahaha. And it's a bit disturbing that this Yuno
would lose in a fight against someone like Third.

The plot is completely different from the manga/anime's, though. And I'm interested in where this
different group of characters
will go, so I'll probably keep watching - but not posting impressions, so don't worry.
3D mucking things up and being a total disappointment again.
Saint Seiya Omega 4

Saint Saiya, why you no follow Pokemon elements rules? Water > fire is understandable. Fire > wind? Sure. Wind > Electricity? Hell no. And Electricity > Earth? But that shouldn't work. Earth is either immune if it's assumed to be ground or stronger if it's grass. And then there is Earth > Water which kinda makes sense

But anyway, tournament talk is making me excited. Also I liked this Dragon Shield thingy. I'm hoping for more weapons/accessories from the Clothes.
fyi the original show didn't have any of this bullshit elemental weaknesses. I don't think they really add anything to the show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fairy Tail 20:

svY2jl.jpg

No Lisanna in the present worries me.

Fairy Tail sure recruits 'em young. Why are there no kids in the present? Mashima is probably too cowardly to kill anyone off, but you'd think that they'd always be bringing up the next generation just in case.

Fun episode, even if I was expecting something more unique for Happy's origin story. Also:

mono no aware in my Fairy Tail? It's more likely than you think.

Fairy Tail 21:

euNcTl.jpg

The coolest moment from what I read of the manga totally ruined. A still? And with a shitty photoshop filter at that?

And so begins the arc that I thought would be Fairy Tail's Arlong Park. This episode rushed through the entire set-up to Phantom Lord and the key events of the early part of the arc lost a lot of their gravity as a result. Am I totally wrong in saying that there was a greater sense of seething anger pervading the atmosphere in the manga during these events? The one thing that the anime did right was
introducing Levy in the recent filler episode, which at least gave anime-only viewers more of a reason to be outraged at what happens to her

Sadly, the
assault on Phantom Lord HQ
also suffered pretty severely due to Fairy Tail's shoestring budget and totally uninspired direction.
Instead of a hellish flurry of every kind of magic imaginable being fired from both sides, we get a bunch of stills, panning, and generic Phantom Lord mooks getting taken out en masse by FT members
. For all I know this is faithful to the manga, but it's still boring. It was like a mini (One Piece spoilz)
anime Marineford
going on in one room, hahah. There was exactly one moment in the entire scene that even bothered to illustrate that
a huge magical fight was going on rather than a barroom brawl
, and in typical Fairy Tail fashion it was just
a bunch of those loathsome magic circles and no actual magic
. Disappointment total.

Also, I saw a couple of characters in the scene that I didn't recognize from the manga. Are the girl that uses wood creation magic and the girl that can ex-quip guns canonical characters?

On a totally unrelated note, Erza is still far and away the best character in the show.

And, per cajun's request, here's his first dose of Juvia:

I never realized that she has a teruterubozu on her stole, hehe.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Accel World 5

Wow. And here was I, thinking Takumu was a bro, when in reality he was an insect.

SO. SALTY.

The fighting in Brain Burst is such bullshit.
Silver Crow punches Cyan Pile a million times and he doesn't even take half of his health. Cyan Pile, on the other hand, hits him twice... And he's already almost dead, haha. I guess that's what you get when the protagonist in the series is supposed to be an underdog.

This episode established this show as one I view in a favorable way. People who haven't watched it pick on the bathroom scenes, but I really fail to see anything really bad about the series as a whole. The action is solid, the world is interesting, and the originally weak protagonist is already showing symptoms of character development and growth. And dat OST.
HOLY SHIT at the whole flying scene. So much hype because of that song.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Is Star Trek like Doctor Who? Cause that's the only sci-fi TV show I ever bothered to watch.
I don't think there's a show quite like Doctor Who anywhere else. My, I don't think Doctor Who tries to be very Doctor Who-like at times!
Bodacious Space Pirates 1
[...]
edit: I don't even know what bodacious means so I'm like totally lost on all these arguments about the name
Bold + Audacious = Bodacious aka what this show is not

Fairy Tail 20:
Fairy Tail 21:

Sadly, the
assault on Phantom Lord HQ
also suffered pretty severely due to Fairy Tail's shoestring budget and totally uninspired direction.
Instead of a hellish flurry of every kind of magic imaginable being fired from both sides, we get a bunch of stills, panning, and generic Phantom Lord mooks getting taken out en masse by FT members
. For all I know this is faithful to the manga, but it's still boring. It was like a mini (One Piece spoilz)
anime Marineford
going on in one room, hahah. There was exactly one moment in the entire scene that even bothered to illustrate that
a huge magical fight was going on rather than a barroom brawl
, and in typical Fairy Tail fashion it was just
a bunch of those loathsome magic circles and no actual magic
. Disappointment total.

Trust me, you should hold your disappointment until the arc is done as the visuals do not suffer at all.

Drip drop drop drip.

cajunator

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it.

It's produced by Satelight.

Satelight has made some fun shows and also some terrible shit. They got Space Pirates right.

Yeah Chiaki is definitely the best.

The best-performing shows are Nyarko; then Accel World, Eureka Seven AO, and Hyouka; then Jormungand, Sakamichi no Apollon (!), and Saki.

The worst-performing shows, almost certainly total bombs, are Acchi Kocchi, Hiiro no Kakera, Shining Hearts, Sengoku Collection, and Upotte.

Nice to see quality shows selling but...
Acchi Kocchi ;_;

Accel World 5

Wow. And here was I, thinking Takumu was a bro, when in reality he was an insect.

SO. SALTY.

Silver Crow punches Cyan Pile a million times and he doesn't even take half of his health. Cyan Pile, on the other hand, hits him twice... And he's already almost dead, haha. I guess that's what you get when the protagonist in the series is supposed to be an underdog.

I like how Taku's killer moves were actually pretty powerful, hopefully Silver Crow gets some killer move beyond 'headbutt'. I also think Taku had higher defence. His looks way less fragile than Haru's

Also, I saw a couple of characters in the scene that I didn't recognize from the manga. Are the girl that uses wood creation magic and the girl that can ex-quip guns canonical characters?

Yep, but the wood girl's part in the Phantom Lord arc was filler. Bisque however is a semi-regular.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yep, but the wood girl's part in the Phantom Lord arc was filler. Bisque however is a semi-regular.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything resembling an official roster of guild members or do minor Fairy Tail members just poof in and out of existence as they're needed? I'd kind of like to see some continuity and recurrence for all guild members, no matter how brief their appearances may be.

Narag

Lupin III A Woman Named Fujiko Mine 3
I liked this ep but it's sort of beneath the shadow of the first two sadly. Scene when Goemon finally showed off was damn cool. Speaking of shadows though, that filter was particulary egregious this episode. Sometimes it's like there's something on my screen and the show is playing beneath it which is really distracting. I get why I saw some impressions lauding the lack of "Fujiko" in this episode now too. I think I agree somewaht but at the same time it's bizarre for the main character to fall to a supporting role in just the third episode despite the ending revelations.

I adore the filter when it's used sparingly like a hatching technique.

Not so much when it's thrown on willynilly. Extend it past their bodies a bit and there's no telling how fast they're moving!

Lupin III A Woman Named Fujiko Mine 4

Ayan's quite the professional.
Shame Zenigata doesn't seem to be.
Wonderfully stylish ep though. Loved the design of that mask and the ghost. Fujiko's flashback was something else. End of the episode was underwhelming as
the real Ayan seemed fairly unhinged.

Lupin III A Woman Named Fujiko Mine 5

Didn't care for the setup nor the lengths Fujiko was willing to go but the Jigen/Lupin interaction was top notch and as such I really enjoyed this episode. Now that the show is past introductions, I'm curious if we'll consistently get a changing cast dynamic as in this episode and perhaps some exploration of "honor among thieves" as bonds form.

Upotte!! 3

I was wondering if they'd get back to the teacher or if he was just a throwaway proxy to acclimate the viewer. This ep felt more in line with the first what with the fanservice in the first half. I do appreciate the random trivia I'm picking up from their discussions. That was something I was enjoying about Heartcatch too after I checked up after a few episodes and found out they weren't making that stuff up.

Upotte!! 4

I don't even remember AR18 from the previous ep in the first two episodes yet she's being introduced in this one? It's like they were aired out of order. The magazine cover the elementary students had makes me wonder too. I've no idea why Sako & Galil look the way they do but I'm not complaining either. All the schoolgirls start looking alike without some defining characteristics.

Thank goodness Sig is around to carry weaker segments.

Sailor Moon S 99

The conversation between Usagi and Yuichiro was one of the cartooniest things I'd seen so far given the varied faces and visual gags thrown out so quickly. In fact, this episode felt rather unique in its direction. It doesn't look like any of the bigger names directed it either which surprised me.

Rei's turn for Haruka? Hell, why not? An episode exploring Rei and Yuichiro's relationship was an excellent idea all told. So much melodrama!

Seriously, who can resist Haruka?

Yuichiro levelled the fuck up
even if it was under false pretenses.

And I don't know. I just found this amusing.

iS5vJUj472Trg.gif

Sailor Moon S 100

Halfway point at last. And it's a Minako ep! Fuck yeah!
:lol @ her 9th grade "midlife crisis" Hilarious start to the ep and best girl reconfirmed. Artemis is a bro for coming through for her in the end too.

The past few episodes were a lot along the lines of what I wanted earlier (and somewhat got) earlier in the series with less emphasis on the ensemble and more focus on the individual. I also find it interesting that while the Sailor Senshi haven't really upgraded themselves against the Daimons, some of these episodes have focused on their inner growth which translated into them being able to hold their own.

The face of frustration.

The Daimon's serve looked so neat. It also didn't look like it was from this show what with those thick outlines.

G Gundam 36

Neo France's base in Hong Kong is a giant snail? If this were any show other than Gundam G, it wouldn't make sense. Nearly through the Shuffle Alliance infighting!

...lol

Heartcatch Precure 8

Need more genki Erika to carry this. Friggin' snore otherwise. Bring on the cool shit like Dark Precure!
Well Kumojacky is cool so I was glad to see him again. He needs his own show.

Oreimo 8

They've tempted me too far what with Justeen 8 playing in the background. This should have its own show too! I was surprised to see Kuroneko effectively stick up for Kirino. Maybe it was more a defense of artistic integrity.

Shiba Inuko-san 3-5

I wish this show was half as good as Poyopoyo or at least it was a three minute format that was more than 90 seconds of one joke.

This got me though.

Demon Lord Dante 5

Still terrible.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything resembling an official roster of guild members or do minor Fairy Tail members just poof in and out of existence as they're needed? I'd kind of like to see some continuity and recurrence for all guild members, no matter how brief their appearances may be.

The cover pages to each manga chapter details these characters. I think theres ~49 guild members, based on the wiki list.

Not exactly sure, but you could always check a wiki or even tvtropes for them. But, yeah, it is the same guild members that appear here and there. They do make more of an appearance in the anime compared to the manga especially in I believe the upcoming arc for you and then two arcs after that.

survivor

Banned
Space Pirates 2

Wearing a skirt in zero gravity doesnt seem like such a good idea

Electronic warfare was meh but thats just the nature of showing hacking, its just not too exciting

Area no Kishi 18
tumblr_m3j6sxWi9j1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Seven, Ishiki, and Mai make a good team. The coach was pretty dumb and would have been better if he stayed as the announcer otherwise, only real criticism I have is the
cameraman
sublot. Feels tacked on here.

Cant wait for the Shonan match finally.
Ryuchi-kun is thin again, and Mako, Kaoru, and eventually Kakeru will be on the field

I wish they had explained terms better. I was confused on what the below top position is, isnt the below top, assuming the white line in the middle of the field the "top" the two players who are closest too it (forwards?), and the one below that a midfielder?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
CAJUN. There's some Juvia on the previous page in case you missed it! (and I know that you don't want to miss it)

The cover pages to each manga chapter details these characters. I think theres ~49 guild members, based on the wiki list.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just pick up the manga again so that I can dilute my constant wave of criticism with some discussion of how certain scenes play out in the manga versus the anime, but I don't know if I can handle that much more Fairy Tail in my life.

Not exactly sure, but you could always check a wiki or even tvtropes for them. But, yeah, it is the same guild members that appear here and there. They do make more of an appearance in the anime compared to the manga especially in I believe the upcoming arc for you and then two arcs after that.

Yeah, a wiki is probably the closest I'll get to an official list. What I hope to see are minor characters doing things of actual significance outside of the guild environment, but unfortunately I have no reason to believe that Fairy Tail is ever going to be anything other than The 24/7 Natsu Show. I'll settle for random background appearances, I suppose.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Knight in the Area 18
#WorldCupChampions
You can tell you are not supposed to root for the girls in orange because they are ugly, even if they are also Japanese.
The reason I still keep up with this piece of shit show.
Area no Kishi 18
[...]
I wish they had explained terms better. I was confused on what the below top position is, isnt the below top, assuming the white line in the middle of the field the "top" the two players who are closest too it (forwards?), and the one below that a midfielder?
Below-top = Number Ten, a creative midfielder. He would be the man behind the center forward in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Think of a Maradona or a Zidane.

CAJUN. There's some Juvia on the previous page in case you missed it! (and I know that you don't want to miss it)

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just pick up the manga again so that I can dilute my constant wave of criticism with some discussion of how certain scenes play out in the manga versus the anime, but I don't know if I can handle that much more Fairy Tail in my life.

Yeah, a wiki is probably the closest I'll get to an official list. What I hope to see are minor characters doing things of actual significance outside of the guild environment, but unfortunately I have no reason to believe that Fairy Tail is ever going to be anything other than The 24/7 Natsu Show. I'll settle for random background appearances, I suppose.

Quite a few guild members play important roles beyond Natsu's team. I mean there are members that basically do nothing as well, but by the fighting festival arc, you'll really get a sense that the guild is a living, breathing entity, with members that have their own schedules and missions to complete.

It only becomes the 24/7 Natsu Show the closer you get to an arc finale!

They're all bugged out and stuff. More so than the rest of the cast. It makes Tamaki look dead at times.

Really? I've never thought that.

There are two major changes which this chart reflects, and which I feel should be clearly distinguished:

1. The rise of late-night anime. During the 1980s and most the 1990s, almost all TV anime aired during the daytime, was aimed at general audiences, and usually ran for a large number of episodes. There were also much fewer shows per year than over the past decade. Anime aimed at the smaller niche and/or with more risque content made up the thriving OVA market. Around 1997, more and more anime began airing during late-night TV slots, siphoning off the more otaku-oriented and adventurous content from the OVA market, and steadily grew into the market we have today. Early examples would be Those Who Hunt Elves (2 12-episode seasons in 1996 and 1997) and Serial Experiments Lain (13-episode season in 1998). Late-night anime has always been 26 episodes or less, with rare exceptions such as Monster, probably because the production committee has to bear the financial burden without being able to rely on steady income from outside advertisers. If you restricted your examination to daytime anime, which is still aimed at kids and families, I believe you would find that even today most shows tend to be long-running, often around a year. Space Brothers, as it airs at 7 AM on Sundays, falls into this category.

2. The shift within late-night anime. As you can see from the above examples, 1-cour shows have always been a significant part of late-night anime, but what is undeniable is that there were a fairly large number of 2-cour shows during the height of the anime boom in the mid-2000s, and that number has steadily dropped as the industry has contracted. What is somewhat counterbalancing that decline now is the recent trend of split-cour shows, such as Natsume, Fate/Zero, and Rinne no Lagrange. The split-cour format allows longer stories to be told while making it a bit easier on the production staff to crank out episodes, so we'll see if it continues to grow in future seasons.
That all sounds right, yeah... before, wasn't OVA stuff the closest to modern late-night style stuff?

I actually think that Sengoku Collection is one of the last series this season that isn't already licensed for a NA physical release of some sort. Because Sentai basically slaps Crunchyroll subs on a disc, throws the disc in a standard dvd case, and ships it off to Rightstuf and Amazon they basically license anything and everything that they can get their hands on that no one else wants. Apparently the series is the most radioactive of the radioactive to NA publishers, hah.
Saki and Achiga-hen. :(

:(

It sounds like you're not the kind of person that takes pleasure in a collection/library. I'd sell all of my media before I'd toss the boxes and keep the discs!

Yeah, you can replace the discs without too much difficulty, but those boxes... that'll be harder. I think that priority's reasonable.

Space Pirates 2

Electronic warfare was meh but thats just the nature of showing hacking, its just not too exciting
Fortunately for them, everyone in Space Pirates is equipped with a magic skirt.

That's not a license to be a pirate though!
Privateers are legal pirates, yes. So that's exactly what it is.

i meant in the way that they don't attack ships for tresaure , they ( the OP crew ) are looking for adventure , for lost tresaure and doing what they feel are right along the way..
Quite true. And of course, in reality pirates didn't do things like hunting for treasure with treasure maps; I don't believe there are any known real-world cases of treasure found on maps marked with an X. They attacked, pillaged, and sank ships to get their treasure, mostly merchant ships. Occasionally they raided towns as well. You virtually never see real pirates in any pirate stories. But even by those standards, what the One Piece crew does has little to nothing to do with piracy... they're adventurers or explorers, not pirates.

Privateers, of course, were somewhat different, in that they were restricted to only targeting ships from nations that the country they had the letter of marque from were at war with. Otherwise they were fairly similar.

In the same veins , aside their job , they do ( the pirates in bodacious ) whatever they want even if they coexist inside a system..and thus have limits .. For me they have small limits but outside of that , they can do as they please ..they certainly are not simple privatteers
Indeed, you're quite right. As I said earlier, calling them just entertainers is is certainly wrong. You're probably right that even calling them simple privateers isn't accurate either, yeah. They're definitely not simple privateers, and do many special or secret, jobs for the government. And yeah, the Bodacious Space Pirates pirate crews have many more options than a navy ship would, as you'd expect from privateers. I just wish that they'd use the correct word, and not call them "pirates with a letter of marque".

I'm sorry but
Chiaki > Marika

A slow episode but it was alright. Liked all the characters introduced and only thing I wanted was more techno babble. Also Google in the future is too wacky.

edit: I don't even know what bodacious means so I'm like totally lost on all these arguments about the name
The first episode's my least favorite from the series, but it's alright, I guess. And yeah, Chiaki's definitely quite popular.

Bold + Audacious = Bodacious aka what this show is not
It certainly is, often enough to deserve the title at least.

AO 4

A lot of this feels... all over the place? Still having a hard time figuring out AO's character. Still have no clue wtf happened between season 1 and 2 (I do hope the inevitable history lesson won't come too late). Animation is dropping per eps? Still ok, but I E7 is all about crazy air surfing dodging missile barrages, not w/e is happening right now.

Soundtrack is... really kiddy kid stuff, like out of digimon or those toy oriented animes. The rock stuff is nice, other stuff... was weird.

hot.jpg

hot hot hot.

eureka.jpg

What am I looking at here?

Brazil

Dante is kinda dumb but hardly scarring.

Now that you've said that, I've realized that I might not be the best judge in this matter. I think it scarred me because it was being aired every morning at 5 AM when I had to wake up and get ready for my early classes back then.

I remember getting so freaking mad at the events transipiring on my screen while I was already suffering that much that I couldn't even muster the strength to pick up the controller and change channels. Every single muscle of my body was busy hating that piece of crap.

Every. Morning.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Dante is kinda dumb but hardly scarring.

I never cease to be amazed by the number of bad anime that you can speak with total authority on.

Now that you've said that, I've realized that I might not be the best judge in this matter. I think it scarred me because it was being aired every morning at 5 AM when I had to wake up and get ready for my early classes back then.

I remember getting so freaking mad at the events transipiring on my screen while I was already suffering that much that I couldn't even muster the strength to pick up the controller and change channels. Every single muscle of my body was busy hating that piece of crap.

Every. Morning.

Sounds like what I went through every morning with Monster Rancher while waiting for Pokemon to air!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Accel World 05

The amount of NTR work this show is going to inspire is gonna be enormous.

Stupid Haru got greedy during that combo.
kuroyukihime is a homura expy :I
Accel World 5
[...]
Cyan Pile is a heavy character --he hits hard, but is slow as fuck. it's not that unreasonable.
This episode established this show as one I view in a favorable way. People who haven't watched it pick on the bathroom scenes, but I really fail to see anything really bad about the series as a whole. The action is solid, the world is interesting, and the originally weak protagonist is already showing symptoms of character development and growth. And dat OST.
HOLY SHIT at the whole flying scene. So much hype because of that song.
The writing is laughable, but I'm surprised at how much I am enjoying the rest of the package. Shape-shifting toilets aside, it is very well produced.

Brazil

Accel World 05

The writing is laughable, but I'm surprised at how much I am enjoying the rest of the package. Shape-shifting toilets aside, it is very well produced.

Yeah, you're right. All the main characters seem to love their never-ending speeches.

If this is too many images or too spoilery, just say so.

Accel World 5

Fuck yeah! Wreck that dude's shit, Cartman!
And then the gods looked down upon Cartman and proclaimed, "Holy shit this kid is retarded. Someone wave the Wand of Plot Dickery already."

The good: the show looks great, the music is pretty bitchin', Princess Katsura Kotonoha's objective is Marche-tier, and being Cartman is --- tragedy.
The bad: jesus christ the melodramatic monologues, the bullshit deus ex machina, and the chick surviving despite delivering her death monologue last episode.
The wut: this robot and using the reveal of Princess Chode Sack's real name as a cliffhanger.

Accel World 05

The amount of NTR work this show is going to inspire is gonna be enormous.

Going to?

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka of the dead 5

WT9qa.jpg

I love how they just screw around with the appliances and objects in the house.

Ayumu's dance moves are seriously amazing. They should have appeared more in season 1. I mean the guy already has a bunch of defining traits that set him apart from most harem leads, but that one could use some more screen time too.

Seriously, hilarious episode.

Thoraxes

Space Pirates 2

Hopefully you like it for 4 more episodes.

Ayumu's dance moves are seriously amazing. They should have appeared more in season 1. I mean the guy already has a bunch of defining traits that set him apart from most harem leads, but that one could use some more screen time too.
He's such a pimp.

13361688145720lzvy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom