• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Fate/Zero 18:

A very surprising episode, but very powerful in defining Kiritsugu's character. Beautifully animated and directed, CG car non-withstanding.

I've come to notice that almost all CG cars have been murdered before the end of their episodes this season.

The staff working on those epiosdes are definitely projecting.

Soma

Hyouka Episode 03

NaECi.jpg

I really enjoyed this weeks episode. Definitely my favorite so far.

We're finally introduced to the larger overlying mystery regarding Eru's uncle. The whole coffee shop conversation and her detailing her past story of her uncle were very enjoyable to watch. There's a lot of subtle use of imagery in this particular part of the episode which I really appreciated. The angles, the multitudes of expressions between Houtarou and Eru over the course of the conversation, the lighting, the background details... it made it very atmospheric which is definitely something this show does very well. It felt more like a drama than a regular slice-of-life anime.

The next part of the episode was pretty entertaining. Now, the central mystery regarding the
smoking student
may have been more obvious to some than others (I figured it out halfway), but the way the show approached this mystery was very interesting to watch. The thought processes and the way Houtarou handled the situation was fun to watch. It made me appreciate him more as a main character. He's not dense and he knows exactly what he's doing. Just the whole "I'll do it if I feel like doing it" shtick may turn off a lot of people to him. Like I've mentioned before the show's attention to detail is something to behold and I really like the way they handle a lot of things especially in this episode.

While this is my favorite episode so far and while the larger plot is finally introduced I'm not sure if I can say this will change the opinions of those who found this boring before. It may be because I've settled my expectations of this show and managed to enjoy it for what it is but I think I'm staying on board with Hyouka. It might not be the most exciting anime this season but the things it does, such as creating a rich atmosphere, it does very well.

wonzo

Banned
HxH 2011 30

Bleh, at least next week's gonna have the fight between Hisoka and Kastro. I wonder how they'll censor that one.

Saint Seiya Omega 6
tumblr_m3mmbn95cC1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Some of the characters are of random things dealing with the heavens, Hook of the Compass? Really? Eden of Orion was interesting but they give him such a terrible personality. Yuna still feels like a pointless addition on the main crew, cheerleader? Otherwise episode was good, two of the music pieces were nice, one played during the introduction to the Saint Fight and then the one that plays when a character does something epic, like an instrumental of the theme.

Surprised Souma won so fast though with so much damage. Will be tough for him next episode when to face Kouga, which I thought would have happened later, am conflicted on who I want to win as I wanted them both to advance :/ They offer each other support so they ought to have placed their fight further in the tourney

Would anyone even bother with Hyouka if not for Chitanda Eru?

Shes really annoying and easy to ignore since there are at least other characters with extensive focus and speaking roles fortunately.

So I watched Makoda episode 1. Now this is'nt the type of show I would usually watch...

WTF is this show about? Why should I continue. Everything seems slightly off and strange, even the ending themes.

Ultimadrago

So I watched Makoda episode 1. Now this is'nt the type of show I would usually watch...

WTF is this show about? Why should I continue. Everything seems slightly off and strange, even the ending themes.

I don't think it's great, nor would I say it's a "must-watch."

However, stuff feeling "off" is to be expected with the show, it's meant to come together as time goes on. I'd say give it at least a couple more episodes to see if you like the turns it has to offer. If you don't like it, not much skin off your back.

I must be one of the handful of people who find nothing appealing about Chitanda.

Same.

It's best to watch to episode 3 before making a judgement. There's a reason things feel off.

Fairy Tail 76

It was nice seeing how the town
transforms
whenever Gildarts comes back. Still, it could have been a lot cooler with a slightly higher budget. Maybe some crazy Inception shit or something. Ah well.

Branduil

Hyouka 3

irkuLnyGfFIt6.jpg

KyoAni continues to be exceptionally creative with the use of visual devices in this show.

I feel like this was the strongest episode yet. The visual direction, editing, and sound design were all incredibly on-point and complemented each other perfectly. It's actually extremely impressive how much atmosphere KyoAni is able to wring out of fairly mundane subject matter. I do think the story itself was significantly stronger in this episode, as we finally reach more of a big-picture mystery that relates to one of the characters.

I don't think this episode will change the minds of those who find the show boring, but it could if you were on the borderline. This really was one of the best-directed episodes of anime I've seen in a while. And have I mentioned that Kouhei Tanaka's music in this is phenomenal?

Ultimadrago

Hyouka 3

Coffee shop. Yaddayadda. Another stupid sounding mystery. Yaddayadda. Nicely illustrated environments. Yaddayadda.

The main character is still on about, "Have I told you that I'm a boring guy? Just making sure you pick up that detail...a little one ya know. I'm a boring guy, don't run around like the rest. Yeah....have I mentioned--?"

I get the point. Shut up about it.

The scene shifts that symbolize his boredom and stale nature compared to Eru's more energetic curious one are well-illustrated. I can't enjoy them too much because I'm not involved in the characterization of these characters to begin with (I've seen no reason to be), but they do make for a decent deliberate change of pace/setting.

After the intro of this over-arching mystery, an episode-centered mystery is introduced in regards to the
prior anthologies for their club.
. A boy named Tougaito makes his debut. He makes himself weary over some stupid crap
he could have easily done off school grounds.

I found out the answer as soon as
he brought up air freshener
, as did anyone I could imagine. As with the last two, a juvenile premise, that (to be fair) fits a juvenile environment. The gang regroups and it is revealed that clues yet exist for this looming mystery of Eru's as she is uncertain of the consequences for delving deeper into it. A fair change of pace for her character that the show desires to grow, no doubt.

The closing music was nice as well and the end creates
another stepping stone towards the uncle's mystery.

In short, better than the last two, but still just a pretty face with a dull soul.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon S 103:

I was going to make a long post discussing just how fantastic the animation and comedy were in this episode, but then the final couple of minutes happened and...

michael-scott-nojpdpy.gif

In case you're wondering,
Chibiusa's back
. FUCK. WHYYYYYYYYYYYY.

...actually, I can muster a couple of positive things to say in spite of this horrific development. The laboratory scene at the beginning of the episode was amazing. It was loaded with detailed mechanical drawings, interesting perspectives and really skillful, atmospheric lighting. It was a powerful, even masterful sequence that underscored the mechanical, unnatural, and grotesque world of mad science silently lurking below Juuban's streets.

There was also a ton of Rei being a klutz, which is always fun. Usagi and Rei have the best chemistry of any combination of the Senshi, and the comedy-tinged Daimon fight really allowed their interaction to shine.

75H92l.jpg
Wc1jFl.jpg

Second image: o_O

But still, fuck the development at the end of this episode :(

Sailor Moon S 104:

r2rzxl.jpg

Abuse of the mentally-handicapped should never be tolerated. Even when your innocence has just been spoiled.

I have to admit, that was a lot more entertaining than I was expecting it to be.
I can live with Chibiusa as long as she basically remains a second Usagi and doesn't start the crybaby routine back up.
This episode was actually a pretty great gold mine for faces, physical comedy, general Usagi idiocy, and even used the score in creative ways for comedic effect a couple of times. It was more than an episode with a basic filler premise deserved.

The aftereffects of Chibiusa poking Usagi's feet when they were asleep
were really hilarious in particular, as was this unusually "normal" moment
of Usagi, Mamoru, and Chibiusa eating takoyaki in silence on a park bench after a particularly raucous scene
. I'm going to try to have faith that
Chibiusa's presence isn't going to ruin the show

Ultimadrago

Sailor Moon S 104:
r2rzxl.jpg

I have to admit, that was a lot more entertaining than I was expecting it to be.
I can live with Chibiusa as long as she basically remains a second Usagi and doesn't start the crybaby routine back up.
This episode was actually a pretty great gold mine for faces, physical comedy, general Usagi idiocy, and even used the score in creative ways for comedic effect a couple of times. It was more than an episode with a basic filler premise deserved.

Just saw a clip of this part. I haven't watched Sailor Moon, but
Chibiusa
seems cool beans with the expectations and the reactions and the silliness! *Bill Cosby sounds*

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I can't get into anything. I haven't enjoyed much of anything.
Kimi To Boku, outside the 2nd episode and the Mary stuff, the show sucks.
NHK, bleh.
Serial Experiment Lain, the main girl is ugly.
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto, how did this get a dub?
Sakamichi no Apollon, more whiny teenagers than K-on!
Hyouka, I hope KyoAni goes broke.
Full Metal Panic, ugly.
Koi Kaze, wtf.
Summer Wars, boring.

survivor

Banned
Bodacious Space Pirates 5

Now we are talking, good episode and well done space action.
The sunlight part was cool and the reveal with Chiaki at the end was awesome

My only problem is with electronics warfare in general. It's still boring and pretty much like watching bunch of people play video games. They gotta fight off the enemy, some magical bars are filling up left and right, and flashy high tech images of the ship with changing colours and nonsense tech babble.

Branduil

NHK, bleh.
Full Metal Panic, ugly.
Koi Kaze, wtf.
Summer Wars, boring.

ily4pvr99BXS3.gif

You should space it out when your shots are fired, you could have easily have made a separate post for all of these opinions and provoked endless arguments. Now most people will overlook them since they're all crammed together.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hyouka 03:

I love this show.

I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!

:p

In all seriousness, just the opening scene for example. This is the most engaged I've ever been with a scene that's basically just two people talking at a cafe. Kyoto Animation delivers an unparallelled atmosphere and direction, careful attention to color and lighting, small gestures and just flat out GORGEOUS animation! And this is the best one yet! We finally get some more backstory about Eru and why she's so interested in Oreki, and she needs him to solve a problem for her so she can achieve some closure on an issue very dear to her heart. He can't fully agree to help, but says he'll keep his ears open (which is about as good as one can get from Oreki).

Kohei Tanaka's music is so beautiful and subtle I've rewatched the opening cafe scene a couple times just to hear it. And again, the direction is amazing, this really feels like a labor of love from Yasuhiro Takemoto.

I can't wait for next week! ^_^

NHK, bleh.
Full Metal Panic, ugly.
Koi Kaze, wtf.
Summer Wars, boring.

So...

What do you like?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Like I told Mad Pierrot in talking about 103, for Sailor Moon S you
really just need to give Chibiusa another chance. She's slightly older now and isn't used the same as she was in R at all. Hell, even in R they stopped putting her in situations just so she could start bawling, and over the show grows as a character as much as Usagi does.

Some people just hate small children!

Narag

Like I told Mad Pierrot in talking about 103, for Sailor Moon S you
really just need to give Chibiusa another chance. She's slightly older now and isn't used the same as she was in R at all. Hell, even in R they stopped putting her in situations just so she could start bawling, and over the show grows as a character as much as Usagi does.

Some people just hate small children!

Pink Sugar Heart Attack had me onboard. What a re-introducton.

Hyouka 3
tumblr_m3mouvh9bX1r2k9o5o1_500.png

A pretty good episode focused on just the character interactions and plot and suspense without all the bells and whistles of genjutsus and innovative animation tricks, nice change of pace. Satoshi was barely around though, but the episode was interesting still with Oreki and Tohgaito. Enjoyed how that plot was handled and actually hope he comes back
He brought the heat to him and caused him to do his will, all for the smokes. Oreki actually expended extra energy/showed enthusiasm of sorts for this, when I thought he would just give up.

Makoto

Hyouka 3

colbert-shaking-head.gif

There was no OP in this episode. KyoAni, one major reason I watch this show is for the OP. Do not make the same mistake next week.

Edit: Good direction and a "mystery" that was waaaay better than the first two episodes.

Edit2: There was also no Sunohara in this episode, so that's probably why I liked it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom