• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 05:

cZlWpl.jpg

INGLIP HAS BEEN SUMMONED

IT HAS BEGUN

This episode was on the uneventful side, consisting mostly of a plodding exploration of
Kirie's body image issues and her frustration at the fact that Teiichi is more attracted to a ghost than a flesh-and-blood human, especially in light of Kirie and Yuuko's resemblance to each other. It was a surprisingly, realistically human concern for Kirie (as silly as that may sound considering the fact that it's impossible for this situation to occur in real life) and a dimension of Kirie and Yuuko's interaction that I hadn't considered.
It was all very good, but with the exception of the
heartless anatomical model
there was no B plot to balance out what was essentially a lot of internal monologue. The episode was also unusually light on experimental visuals, which is a slight disappointment for me but probably good news to most.

Oh yeah, and there was this:

Aren't school festival episodes just the best? Yes, yes they are.

And if you love ghost moe and love pink meido costumes, you'll love this. (in other words, watch Natsu no Arashi. I'm going to keep saying it.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is this a reference to Haruhi?
Yes, since they both aired episodes out of order!

Did Seitokai Yakuindomo sell well enough for a sequel?
Yep, it did the average "not bomba" anime numbers.

You know, speaking of which... does anyone have theories as to why a sequel would bomba when the first season did okay? Milky Holmes S2 bomba'ed hard, it seems... and that's in spite of the girls putting on concerts for Akiba nerds and doing stupid things like cosplay as their characters in London and whatnot.

cajunator

Banned
I can't get into anything. I haven't enjoyed much of anything.
Kimi To Boku, outside the 2nd episode and the Mary stuff, the show sucks.
NHK, bleh.
Serial Experiment Lain, the main girl is ugly.
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto, how did this get a dub?
Sakamichi no Apollon, more whiny teenagers than K-on!
Hyouka, I hope KyoAni goes broke.
Full Metal Panic, ugly.
Koi Kaze, wtf.
Summer Wars, boring.

I'm interested to know what you DID like, because I guarantee you there's more stuff out there that you could like.

CCS - 03

Guys, I don't think i'm going to make it. I will write up my will tomorrow.

Thorax, I'm sorry to tell you this, but you're going to die. We'll make it a beautiful funeral and everything, but you won't make it. CCS is WAY WAY too cute and I'm afraid your heart just wont be able to handle it if you are already like this in episode 3. It took many breaks and doses of non-cute to help me get through it with my heart intact and I recommend you do the same, for your own good.

HUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

There's really no reason not to own this DVD.

My personal reason is because the mountain hasn't taught me anything, but I'm going to rectify this VERY soon.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 05:

This episode was on the uneventful side, consisting mostly of a plodding exploration of
Kirie's body image issues and her frustration at the fact that Teiichi is more attracted to a ghost than a flesh-and-blood human, especially in light of Kirie and Yuuko's resemblance to each other. It was a surprisingly, realistically human concern for Kirie (as silly as that may sound considering the fact that it's impossible for this situation to occur in real life) and a dimension of Kirie and Yuuko's interaction that I hadn't considered.
It was all very good, but with the exception of the
heartless anatomical model
there was no B plot to balance out what was essentially a lot of internal monologue. The episode was also unusually light on experimental visuals, which is a slight disappointment for me but probably good news to most.

Oh yeah, and there was this:

Aren't school festival episodes just the best? Yes, yes they are.

And if you love ghost moe and love pink meido costumes, you'll love this. (in other words, watch Natsu no Arashi. I'm going to keep saying it.)

Oh God. They broke out the cat ears. THEY BROKE OUT THE CAT EARS. curse you, anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I kind of want to purchase a VHS copy of Garzey's Wing because I think that poor video quality, warped audio and bad tracking might enhance the experience even more. There might even be "coming soon" previews for bad anime dubs as of yet undiscovered by AnimeGAF, for all I know. I've spent three or four dollars on far worse.

Cwarrior

garzeyswing.png

well, i've done my bit to save anime

I have no clue what that is, is the box would lead me to believe it could be something like berserk but it's says the creator of gundam.....

*watches dub clip on youtube*

.....yeah i think need sit down and study this.

Hyouka 3: Lie to Me

More fun times with Emo lazy Kudo Shinichi. More kyoani mastery with animating people and not just static images with moving mouths. That rockstar dude freaking out was glorious.

And god does he have Super Cajun levels of imaginations. Just look at this [REDACTED] shit!

And this sneeze makes no sense!

ibvZ2f6Kd7ONvW.gif

It's just super [REDACTED]!

You would definitely get a big blob of snot on your hand that way, or worse, funnel a high velocity snot railgun.

cajunator

Banned
Well you guys caught me at a good time, because I just bought it finally. dunno why it took this long really. I've been wanting it and I nearly stole my friends copy (since he owes me for all the pizza rolls I bought over the years and Garzey's Wing would be a suitable payment)

Thoraxes

Thorax, I'm sorry to tell you this, but you're going to die. We'll make it a beautiful funeral and everything, but you won't make it. CCS is WAY WAY too cute and I'm afraid your heart just wont be able to handle it if you are already like this in episode 3. It took many breaks and doses of non-cute to help me get through it with my heart intact and I recommend you do the same, for your own good.

I think i'll do something. I need something to help me through this. I have to do something.

Just the little exclamations, squees, and other sounds... I can feel it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well you guys caught me at a good time, because I just bought it finally. dunno why it took this long really. I've been wanting it and I nearly stole my friends copy (since he owes me for all the pizza rolls I bought over the years and Garzey's Wing would be a suitable payment)

That's like one box of pizza rolls! You should have at least squeezed an Arjuna box set out of him too.

cajunator

Banned
I think i'll do something. I need something to help me through this. I have to do something.

Just the little exclamations, squees, and other sounds... I can feel it.

It is probably one of the cutest shows in existence. You would be wise to seek help from others who endured for guidance and tips on how to survive. This show is VERY dangerous.

Does Garzey's Wing qualify for "so bad it's good" status?
Absolutely not, it qualifies for "so great it's good" status! :D

I kind of want to purchase a VHS copy of Garzey's Wing because I think that poor video quality, warped audio and bad tracking might enhance the experience even more. There might even be "coming soon" previews for bad anime dubs as of yet undiscovered by AnimeGAF, for all I know. I've spent three or four dollars on far worse.

I have it on VHS.

Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA 3

It's been a while since I saw watched this show, but it's still pretty amusing if you like gags full of dirty humor. It even has some Omigawa.

Man, a new series has to be on the horizon...

I hope so... the OVAs are good, but a full additional season of SYD would be better.

Bodacious Space Pirates 6

Bentenmaru's design is worse than the Odette II.

Yes, she is wearing the hat, hooray. Also the crew looks good but they need to showcase the other members. I'm very interested in knowing more about eyepatch girl.

I never knew piracy was so fake and artificial. They make Luffy sad :(

I know I said it earlier in this thread, but Luffy doesn't do any real pirating either. He's an adventurer, not a pirate... actual pirates spent their time attacking and looting ships and occasionally towns, not wandering around trying to be the king of the pirates and such.

Also, yeah, now the Bentenmaru's crew will get more attention. Expect that. The Yacht Club won't entirely go away, but the main crew do become major characters too now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Fate/Zero 18:

Holy crap this episode was great.

It was totally what I expected out of a beach episode involving Butch :p

The buildup of Kerrytugu into the slow, systematic demise of his in a single episode was absolutely done magnificently. It completely explains his personality in the present day, his belief in sacrificing a few individuals to save the rest is completely Root in what happens in his past. If he had killed the one he would have saved the hundreds (thousands?)

Poor Shirley :(

Kerrytugu should have listened to pops! Don't go to the village kid. The whole bit with Shirley and Kerrytugu was so sad.

Natalia is a total badass too. Explains why Kerrytugu's got that fling with Maiya since the two are pretty similar, although Maiya isn't half as badass as Nikita Natalia.

It is ironic that what did Kerrytugu's dad in the end was the lack of time considering what his research was all about. His research was crazy shit, the fact the Mages wanted to seal him made complete sense.

wonzo

Banned
Space Bros. 6

Not even the rather poor animation quality could stop me from enjoying this. The strength of the writing really does carry this show when it needs to. I'm rather amazed that this is gonna be at least 4 cours long.

I got it for $3 on amazon. Brand new.
Damn, I would've got it from amazon for $6 but the overseas shipping alone would've easily doubled the cost so I ended up buying a brand new copy off of some eBay seller.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
AKB0048 02:

I just got mindfucked by lolis and CG mechas and why are there so many hearts and what is Ai-kun's ghost doing here and why are there
faceless Master Chief robots trying to kill everyone
and what in fuck did I just watchsafdsghtjgfgdfsdghgjhyjfgd

What's the point of
being an android
when regular girls apparently have
bones of steel
anyway? Fucking
chandeliers
, how do they work?

Also,
Appare Genki
appearance. Love ya, Kawamori.

Green hair girl is best girl. She's like a delicious megane Shijou Takane. Chieri can die in a fire, come at me.

Although, considering what happened with the chandelier, she probably wouldn't die in a fire.

Ultimadrago

AKB0048 02:

Green hair girl is best girl. She's like a delicious megane Shijou Takane. Chiemi can die in a fire, come at me.

Although, considering what happened with the chandelier, she probably wouldn't die in a fire.

It is alright to witness and share what proves
Chi"defy physics"eri's
superiority while approving of someone lesser!

Jex

AKB0048 2

- Spines made of adamantium?

- Song that grants extra
physical strength
?

- Cartoon cavemen girl that speak in third person?

- Dark story?

Look no further

Don't forget - crying blue haired girl is the worst character in the show, as one would expect from any blue haired girl in anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA 3

Ah yep, this show is back. Funny how after Upotte 5, some of the more risque gags in this show don't really phase me any more though. Here's one of the tamer ones:

p0RhSl.png

Well, if they keep making OVAs or make a second series, I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing more simply because it forces famous seiyuu to say dirty things.

cajunator

Banned
So far, Nagisa and Sonata are the cutest characters, but I agree that green-hair is best girl.
Not much of a contest at this point.

Grzi

I'm late for the mecha thing, but whatever:

Gurren Lagann - no contest here really
Gundam Exia - love Big O, but the Exia is probably my favorite Gundam design ever, and I'm a big Gundam fan (series-wise I prefer Big O of course)
RahXephon - because of BONES, and because I still haven't seen Patlabor, except for the first two movies long ago, which is pretty ridiculous considering the fact I adore mecha shows. I'll correct that mistake this summer.
Zeta Gundam - because it's one of my favorite shows, and the other one looks hideous, and the show doesn't really look good
Shin Getter Robo - because Getter Robo Armageddon is amazing and you should watch it right now
Nirvash - haven't seen Dai Guard yet, love Eureka Seven
VF-25 Messiah - a tough one. I haven't seen Frontier (afraid it'll disappoint me), and the Mazinger is such an iconic robot. But I still have to give it to the Messiah, it's the Macross design after all, and I love Macross.
Delphine - I love the original Mazinkaiser, but SKL was a disappointment (it wasn't thta bad, but not as good as I expected). Break Blade on the other hand, while not much better than SKL, had really great mecha designs going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom