• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I need to know, is this sarcasm? I'm already drowning in all the Kawamori in Aquarion Evol (
Miiiix! Fuck this shit!
), is AKB that "interesting"?

AKB is magnificent. It is a terrible show, but it is so ridiculous that its a lot of fun to watch.

Steroyd

Smile Precure - 14

2qB9Ql.jpg

And she's into RPG's ontop of drawing manga, dear god she's going to be most dangerous moeblob in existance.

Hyouka - 03

zzZZzz at least it looks pretty.

wonzo

Banned
MGX 5

Not only do we get a tanned Urabe but
sweat licking and dat scissor tanline... YES!
They better not introduce some dumb melodrama about Tsubaki's former crush in the next episode.

Go_Ly_Dow

Coincidently, the friends who I put through Garzey's Wing just posted this on Facebook!

Person 1
On my second watch of "Garzey's Wing", it starts to make sense then!

Person 2
It will never make sense... ever
22 minutes ago · Like

Person 3
at what cost. your slowly starting 2 make no sense
14 minutes ago · Like

Person 1
my mind is heavier than a damn japanese sword
7 minutes ago · Like

Person 4
Enjoy the stroke... Another one gone thanks to that blasted Garzey's Wing!
6 minutes ago · Like · 1

Person 2 is someone new who wasn't at the initial screening. The joy is spreading!

cajunator

Banned
Apollon 04

Might as well post about it since I still haven't been able to finish Hyouka 02. Its soooo sloooow. Maybe its just not for me. Really cute though. Maybe episode three gets better.

But anyway, Apollon. Not a whole lot seems to happen in this show, but there is an interesting love quadrangle forming and Richie is still being an emo crybaby. but now he knows about Sentaro's shitty childhood so he was able to suck it up and play some fucking awesome jazz. The Engrish in this episode is pretty laughable but at least they tried. While this show is pretty slow, I'm enjoying it.

cajunator

Banned
What was Engrish in this episode? The American in the bar was clearly a native speaker and none of what he said was ungrammatical. Unless you're referring to Jun's singing?

It was all pretty clumsy sounding. Still seemed a bit off.
But it was way better than some attempts.
I'm not saying it was awful.

Jex

You're in for a treat. The dub is so spectacular.

My top 5 lines:

"What's that light!?"
"You certainly got sexy"
"Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssss"
"Oh yeah it is"
"He is, a slimy serpent"

No love for 'There are even dinosaurs here'? For shame.

duckroll

You do have a point there. I just thought it sounded a bit jarring is all. Its not a dealbreaker by any means. I enjoyed the episode. Especially when they loosened up and the music changed.

I'll tell you what was really jarring. The fact that his English singing voice is not the same as his normal character voice. Boo! :mad:

Westlo

Man didn't know Urabe was so "equipped".

Man, a new series has to be on the horizon...

Probably not, seems GOHANDS are quite busy with K.

http://k-project.jpn.com/character/

Dat Neko.

Also I can't remember if there's enough source material left for a second season anyway... hopefully they get around to one in the future, I'm happy they gave us these OVAs though. (I still need to watch 2 and now 3!)

Shipping in Seitokai Yakuindomo? Really? Reeeeeeallly?

Team Shino all day every day.
I hope a certain chapter is eventually animated, but yeah it really isn't that kind of show, unless things have changed lately

Theonik

Dai Mahou Touge 1+2
Lyrical Tokarev, kill them all!
This show is a great combination of cute and grim. Watching Punie-Chan go from cute witch to wrestling psychopath is hilarious.
Potato-Dono!
Shame we probably won't be seeing anymore of him :(
Second episode was hilarious where we see
Punie-Chan's mascot and how they met
more wrestling!
Have I told you how awesome the OP is btw?
Lyrics make it even better!

cajunator

Banned
Dai Mahou Touge 1+2
Lyrical Tokarev, kill them all!

This show is a great combination of cute and grim. Watching Punie-Chan go from cute witch to wrestling psychopath is hilarious.

Potato-Dono!
Shame we probably won't be seeing anymore of him :(

Second episode was hilarious where we meet
Punie-Chan's mascot and how they met
more wrestling!
Have I told you how awesome the OP is btw?

Lyrics make it even better!

Yes, another has witnessed.
Welcome to the Punie fanclub.

Defuser

Hyouka ep 3
Houtarou is such a lazy guy but still a boss. Love that reaction he makes when it involves tremendous amount of work.

Jex

[Mysterious Girlfriend X] - 5

There wasn't really any time for anything new or interesting to happen this episode because it was largely devoted to boys trying to get a glimpse at girls bodies, thinking about girls bodies and fantasizing about seeing girls bodies. I suppose this makes it a dangerously accurate depiction of the mind of a teenage boy.

I feel like there's something rather unwholesome about Urabe getting a glimpse into her boyfriends mental state - surely he should be allowed to have some secrets? It seems to be something of an invasion of privacy.

Oh, and I suppose we also got a glimpse of sweat and tan fetishes this week. I am sure this will please many.

sonicmj1

Space Bros 6

Excellent. Mutta is awesome. Good to see that Hibito isn't the only one out there rooting for our hero.

Hyouka 3

Was it just me, or was this episode a big improvement?

XvgzO.jpg

I mean, this looks so classy!

The addition of
Chitanda's mystery
got me a lot more interested in what was going on. The small puzzle of the episode wasn't much different from what we've seen before (I feel like they get more trivial once you know what to look for), but now I actually had some investment in the outcome. That was nice.

And while the show still has the same amount of talking heads in closed rooms, I feel like more time passed in this episode, which lead to some nice direction. The scene in the cafe, as well as the midterms, both were really well done.

slqS0.jpg

A lot of time gets compressed into just a few camera shots, but you can tell how busy the test period is thanks to the transitions.

The opening cafe scene sticks in my mind because it's really the first moment in the series so far where it feels like there are legitimate emotional stakes.
Chitanda's issues could have easily come off as superficial, which wouldn't feel out of character for the kind of person she's been so far. But a combination of interesting framing devices, camera angles, and well-chosen music brought real energy to her confession. And when she cools down after Oreki comes close to blowing her off, the music and framing change, and it becomes clear why this mystery about her uncle is so important.
It feels very different from the show to that point.

g0KGy.jpg

There are a lot of subtle touches in that scene that bring across the passage of time. This is one of the more obvious ones, but I liked it a lot, because it works on a few levels.

I was prepared to drop the show before watching this episode (I'm already watching too many things), but I guess it's got its claws in me. Ah well.

So did I just choose the boredom menu or the excitement menu?

Jex

[We'll never remember the name of the literature we read that day] - 3

With the wealth of talent KyoAni have to hand I feel like they could almost make this material interesting.

It's a shame, for me, that I just can't care about this show because the cinematography and animation are top-notch. However, they're not enough to keep me returning to the show week after week.

Dresden

Imagine how good Hyouka would be if it had some good old fashioned rape or murder.

It's just hard to care, even for the mystery that Chitanda sets up in the beginning, since it'll probably be as lame and ordinary as all the other "mysteries" so far in the show.

Makoto

Imagine how good Hyouka would be if it had some good old fashioned rape or murder.

It's just hard to care, even for the mystery that Chitanda sets up in the beginning, since it'll probably be as lame and ordinary as all the other "mysteries" so far in the show.
Everything has just been so tame. I wasn't expecting quality on the levels of the film Brick but sheesh, is this show just a reflection of how utterly mundane high school life in Japan is capable of being?

Needs more Law and Order SVU.

sonicmj1

I wouldn't go that far. That would betray everything they tried to achieve in the first half of this episode.

I understand commercially why they want to work in an idyllic high school environment, but it loses a lot of its charm when the protagonist is trying his hardest to live the most boring high school life possible. I guess he's succeeding?

cajunator

Banned
see? Cars are not difficult to draw. I think companies just place more or less emphasis on them and that determines whether they go 3d or just hand draw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom