• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

It's not hard to locate the two biggest problems with Hyouka, neither of which have anything to do with the actual quality of the production:

Problem the first: The show appears to be about solving extremely mundane mysteries which have no inherent 'weight' to them - nothing that would make an audience care about how they are resolved.

Detective stories aren't just popular because detective-type characters demonstrate their cognitive abilities to decipher mysteries. They're popular because crime and murder are interesting topics. When someone has been murdered most people would say that it's really important to know who did it and why. When someone borrows a book regularly from a library, or opens their windows to let air out a room, it doesn't engender the same interest.

Well, I think you hit indirectly on the key point of whether or not this show will work for someone. For this show, I think the primary draw is being able to identify personally with the characters, and NOT the mysteries themselves. This certainly makes it a different paradigm from the typical mystery show.

I wonder if the reason the show works for someone like me is because, when I was younger, I always had an overactive imagination. Not necessarily in the context of solving mundane mysteries, but like this show, I had a habit of "enhancing" everyday events with the power of my imagination.

Problem the second: Our protagonist isn't just boring by virtue of being a flat character, he's boring because that's his goal in life. Branduil, perhaps correctly, points out that this is the point of the show, but it still doesn't make watching the show any more tolerable.

Perhaps they're will be some radical event which forces him to alter his position on life at some point in the future, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon based on what I've seen so far.

I don't think the goal of the show is to be boring, but it can certainly work out that way for people.

duckroll

I don't think the goal of the show is to be boring, but it can certainly work out that way for people.

If it isn't, a lot of things wouldn't be presented the way they are. Maybe the intention of the show isn't to be boring for the audience, but it certainly is to present that most of the events in the show ARE boring, and the main character is boring. That seems to be a pretty clear cut theme to me.

Fairy Tail 87

eb08H.jpg

Oh hey, this is when Lucy gets all muscley with no explanation.

I think the amusement park is probably the only Edolas magic that doesn't completely suck.

Steroyd

Magical Witch Puni - 7 & 8

Rule number one, don't piss off Puni.

DIPP0.jpg

gPnVU.jpg

Goddamnit Pyun and Potaru, follow rule number 1!

KItfS.jpg

ihcwl.jpg

This show was ace.

survivor

Banned
Un-Go 1

wat?

I feel like I missed a lot.
The whole situation surrounding the dead dude felt lost to me. It's like they just quickly went some facts to show he was involved in some government corruption and that's it. I could barely understand what was he even accused of. And then there was the war stuff that just came out nowhere unless I somehow missed an earlier mention of it.

I still don't even know why the MC is called the Defeated Detective. I also have no idea why they immediately called the computer guy. He was supposed to help with tough cases, but the police didn't even investigate, they just called him.

Oh and I don't wanna even talk about this supernatural stuff with the sidekick girl.

I like the OP and ED a lot. I also like this thing they do whenever a new character is shown, looks pretty cool. Visually my only complaint is some of these characters designs are too vertical for lack of better of words.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
AKB0048 2

The number of girls crying in the OP makes me all giddy inside. The potential for saltiness and angst in this is beyond Black Rock Shooter levels.

"Take this rifle. You'll need it for all that singing and dancing."

/XX/

I should note that I'm partial to the ones that feature just the girls.
Well, yeah... that is cool and the 'yuri-ish' undertone of the show makes it more appropriate, but when there is a character like Tsumugi with such a rebellious nature and you put her together with 'thug-4-life' free spirits that know how to make the most out of everything they do, you can only have the greatest love story ever told.

Theonik

Dai Mahou Touge 7+8
Awesome episodes, first we get a horseback battle ending with
the tanegashima riffle
, destroying everything. Then an episode where her sisters are old. Moral? Don't piss off Punie for both cases.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Fate/zero 17 - I did not like this episode, it kind of reminded me of episode 1 all over again, lots of talking heads, boring typemoon dialogue etc, aside from the awesome development at the end, I really didn't like the episode much.

Fate/zero 18 - Now this was awesome I always like flashback episodes like these, that try to show how a certain character became the bad-ass he is today, and this episode was a really good realization of that particular concept. Looking forward to seeing how it concludes next week.

survivor

Banned
Are you being blackmailed by duckroll?

Best of luck with watching this, the most common thought you'll have while watching Un-Go is "huh, okay."

It was either that or Gosick so I decided to go with the shorter one. Plus that picture Dresden posted from Gosick was quite disturbing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There's going to be a lot of more awkward stuff a lot earlier.

Time to commence Operation Make My Sister Hate Fairy Tail, then. She already seems to be well on her way as, in her words, she's "waiting for the plot to be less elementary" and has declared that the show "hasn't touched [her] heart like Dragonball Z did."

Yeah...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Genius party

Opening

Loved this, creative visuals and some really awesome music. A great start to the collection, as far as I'm concerned.

Shanghai Dragon

This was pretty fun to watch from a conceptual stand-point, but I wasn't a fan of the direction in some places, namely the "action" sequences felt confusing and hard-to-follow at times because of how was much going on in them. But it wasn't bad, and much better than what I expected from kawamori.

Deathtic 4

Did not like this, did not like the visual style, thought it was very uninteresting to watch, reminded me of a Tim Burton film but way more zzzz.

Doorbell

I loved the atmosphere and mood of this, but didn't feel the concept was strong enough to sustain it's momentum for the entirely of the short, felt a tad to long for it's own good, despite that I enjoyed the hell out of it regardless.

Limit Cycle

The dialogue is just rambling pseudo-intellectual garbage; but I really liked how the visuals and concept complimented the "unnerving" mood of the short, it's not particularly enjoyable to watch, but I thought what it was aiming for was quite effective to say the least.

Happy Machine

Fucking awesome - awesome visuals, awesome direction, awesome everything. <3 Yuasa

Baby Blue

The visual style in this reminded me of Kids on the slope the way the characters blended in with the realistic-looking backgrounds, the opening scene also gave me a real KitS vibe. Otherwise this was pretty damn good, it sorts of interesting to watch since it has a low-key premise, but has a lot of elements like the whole grenade thing which feels out-of-place within the narrative, but somehow works with what the director is trying to portray. The closing scene also had a really interesting direction choice too, that managed to somehow work, plus it had great music too.

Jex

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san Episode 05

This show is still dumb.

Yet. I can't stop watching. And not gonna lie... Hastur-kun is pretty adorable.

I'm not sure how to feel about that.

:|

It sounds like you're being abused, and you like it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Code Geass R2 7

I honestly have no clue what the hell was that.

I understand that, given the circumstances (
Nunnally willingly becoming the viceroy and then NTRing Zero with Suzaku
) Ledouche would be upset... But not at the point of giving up on everything and
resorting to drugs. Seriously. Freaking drugs?
He's been through a lot of worse situations.

He's scared of pictures of his sister. Then he uses his Geass to randomly bother some mafia guys in a dark alley. Then he tries to sexually harass his most loyal companion just because. And then Rolo almost kisses him. And, finally, the power of friendship saves him.
Oh, Nina... I must cry now because I miss you so.

"Sir Kururugi! BUBBLES! Aaagggh--"

They should've skipped all that and went straight to keikaku.

Ultimadrago

Code Geass R2 7

W11RE.jpg

Red X's represent those who are terrible people.

Well, keikaku is making its way back again.

Nunally has shared her plans for Area 11
and the Japanese people are confused once again!

He tells some guy to drop and give him push-ups with his eye! lol! For needing to use it cautiously
in order to not have it go out of control
, he sure uses the stuff loosely!

LeDOUCHE tries to get some commanded loving from
Kallen
which results in what the hand said to the face.

Rolo is yaoi for Ledouche.

And bubbles are serious freakin' business!

What else will Code Geass R2 teach me, I wonder.

AKB 2

What the...

this show... what?

acronym organizations? robots? Robot idols? Some pseudo religion think on top?

And is it just me, or does it feel like there are like 3 VA's doing all the idol's voices? Or do idols all kinda sound the same?

Also

ibeEnsdG89FDwz.gif

Grade A idol quality.

So how good is Fairy Tail?

Despite all its flaws, I actually really like it. It always manages to be fun, has an interesting well-realized world, entertaining characters, good fights (albeit asspullish ones), and other stuff. The anime also happens to have godly music, so that's always good.

It does take a bit to get going and the arcs are pretty formulaic, but still fun. In the end, it doesn't try to be anything more or less than a standard shounen with messages about camaraderie and willpower.

survivor

Banned
Un-Go 2

Hold on, let me see if I got this right.
The guy with the computers and stuff dictates who is the killer? And even when the MC finds the true killer it doesn't matter cause it will go against whatever plan the government or whatever has? Cause they like just left the girl there ignoring her crimes.

Also the MC dialogue near the end talking about breaking down was hilarious. It was so nonsensical and he just randomly started talking about his own problems.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So how good is Fairy Tail?

Un-Go 2

The guy with the computers and stuff dictates who is the killer? And even when the MC finds the true killer it doesn't matter cause it will go against whatever plan the government or whatever has? Cause they like just left the girl there ignoring her crimes.

Also the MC dialogue near the end talking about breaking down was hilarious. It was so nonsensical and he just randomly started talking about his own problems.

Yup, welcome to Un-Go, where pretty much any accomplishment that Shinjuurou makes means nothing because the government always presses the reset button on the case when it suits them. I'm sure that this show is some kind of statement on the futility of seeking justice in a repressive society, but I really have no fucking clue, hahah.

You've inspired me to finish my own runthrough of the show so I can discuss the rest with you.

Jex

AKB 2

What the...

this show... what?

acronym organizations? robots? Robot idols? Some pseudo religion think on top?

And is it just me, or does it feel like there are like 3 VA's doing all the idol's voices? Or do idols all kinda sound the same?

Why are you making fun of the idols' voices, it's all they have!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
AKB0048 2

How am I meant to carry on with my life, knowing that:
So deep.

The ones with dudes are just weird...
And you don't even need dudes for certain "activities".

Well, yeah... that is cool and the 'yuri-ish' undertone of the show makes it more appropriate, but when there is a character like Tsumugi with such a rebellious nature and you put her together with 'thug-4-life' free spirits that know how to make the most out of everything they do, you can only have the greatest love story ever told.
It also the greatest escape story ever told.

duckroll

Un-Go 1

wat?

I feel like I missed a lot.
The whole situation surrounding the dead dude felt lost to me. It's like they just quickly went some facts to show he was involved in some government corruption and that's it. I could barely understand what was he even accused of. And then there was the war stuff that just came out nowhere unless I somehow missed an earlier mention of it.

I still don't even know why the MC is called the Defeated Detective. I also have no idea why they immediately called the computer guy. He was supposed to help with tough cases, but the police didn't even investigate, they just called him.

Oh and I don't wanna even talk about this supernatural stuff with the sidekick girl.

I like the OP and ED a lot. I also like this thing they do whenever a new character is shown, looks pretty cool. Visually my only complaint is some of these characters designs are too vertical for lack of better of words.

Un-Go 2

I love these impressions. Keep it coming. Oh yes, OH YES!!! NEED MORE SOULS! *slurp*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom