• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Un-Go 2

Hold on, let me see if I got this right.
The guy with the computers and stuff dictates who is the killer? And even when the MC finds the true killer it doesn't matter cause it will go against whatever plan the government or whatever has? Cause they like just left the girl there ignoring her crimes.

Also the MC dialogue near the end talking about breaking down was hilarious. It was so nonsensical and he just randomly started talking about his own problems.

The amount of verbal diarrhea uttered in Un-Go is impressive.

Makoto

Shining Hearts 1-4
this is pretty much the worst thing I have ever seen, it's hard to believe it's an actual real thing and not some kind of Psy op by people who hate anime and RPGs
u3eoB.gif
Well, I'm sorry you can't appreciate the value of lighthearted entertainment.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Code Geass R2 8

Best keikaku yet.

Z for Vendetta! Or some kind of Zero Sentai conference.

That was... Interesting. But now the biggest question of the first season has escalated.
Who made a million Zero uniforms? Well, I guess they are allied with the Chinese Federation, huh.

I somehow feel that this is a turning point. Stuff's about to go down.

Was this really necessary?

Ultimadrago

Code Geass R2 8

LHHXp.jpg

Two conflicting paths intersect again.

This episode was brought to you by the letter
V
!

Haha! No one got caught with a single item that was part of the keikaku?!
It's a million people!

Anyhow, Suzaku gets questioned by mecha loli about his motive for staying in a place he's hated, he doesn't say it aloud, but of course he does it
all for Yuffie

Keikaku up the wazoo in this one (one of the craziest in terms of "wut" factor), but the plan seems a bit too ideal...I mean
an iceberg ship that's "indestructible"
?

Quite the Titanic reference!

2Q6BB.jpg

Nippon Power!

survivor

Banned
Un-Go 3

What the fuck?
It was just a robot all along? Come the fuck on.

And why the hell do they not show the thought process of the detective? I'd just like to know what tipped him that the dead dude was a robot, outside of course the family having a researcher who made an awesome AI. And speaking of that, AI isn't my area of expertie and I have yet to take a course on it, but I was under the impression that passing the Turing test had huge implications in the CS field. Why would the government just ban the entire thing.

Makoto

What is this Un-Go? Is it about Go?
From my understanding, it is an adaptation on the game Monopoly but more importantly, a critique of capitalism and its values. The moniker "Go" as coined in the board game is indicative of the player's ability to move forward, progress and prosper in a free market society. This show however, intends to dispute that ideal in effort to emphasize just how backwards the middle class has gone, hence the "Un-Go."

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Un-Go 3

What the fuck?
It was just a robot al along? Come the fuck on.

And why the hell do they not show the thought process of the detective? I'd just like to know what tipped him that the dead dude was a robot, outside of course the family having a researcher who made an awesome AI. And speaking of that, AI isn't my area of expertie and I have yet to take a course on it, but I was under the impression that passing the Turing test had huge implications in the CS field. Why would the government just ban the entire thing.

Remember, Shinjuurou doesn't have to do any real detective work because he has his little pet PLOT HAX tagging along with him. The thought process behind his deductions isn't important to the show; what really matters is rushing through investigations quickly enough to get the weekly CAN I EAT HIS SOUL NOW, SHINJUUROU, actually explaining his thought processes be damned.

Also re AIs being banned, there are conflicting accounts given by different parties. The government claims that the androids were corrupting the public by being used for sex acts, Sasa claims that the government's explanation was an excuse to gain a monopoly over the production of AIs. The New Privacy Protection SOPA Act whatever blah blah was probably involved somehow, too. Keep in mind that the Japanese government is now corrupt and repressive as fuck so a scientific achievement like sentient AI isn't going to mean jack shit to them.

jman2050

Nyaruko-sanTEH YELLOW RIE 5

Hf3M6.png

How friggin deep is their reference pool?

Also, constant reminder
it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy it's a guy

jman2050

Nina is the best character. Didn't you hear?

Only four more episodes till the greatest moment of R2! Well, one of them anyway

duckroll

Shit, I totally forgot about the movie. I suppose I'll just watch it after I've finished the series now.

My episode 5 post

My episode 6 post

Sweet! It seems I did read your ep5 impressions, I just forgot about it. About as noteworthy as the episode itself, lolz. Glad you liked Ep6! Best episode in the series. It made me think the series was turning a corner... which it was... but not in the way the phrase usually means! LOLOL!

sonicmj1

Code Geass R2 8

Was this really necessary?

The answer is always yes.

Well, I think you hit indirectly on the key point of whether or not this show will work for someone. For this show, I think the primary draw is being able to identify personally with the characters, and NOT the mysteries themselves. This certainly makes it a different paradigm from the typical mystery show.

I wonder if the reason the show works for someone like me is because, when I was younger, I always had an overactive imagination. Not necessarily in the context of solving mundane mysteries, but like this show, I had a habit of "enhancing" everyday events with the power of my imagination.

I don't think the goal of the show is to be boring, but it can certainly work out that way for people.

I agree. The mysteries aren't generally mysterious, so the focus is on the interaction between the club members. You need to care about them and their relationships to invest yourself in the show.

For me, the incredibly strong direction in the first part of this episode got me invested, so even when the mystery was mundane later, I had more of an interest in how it played out. And the "crime scene" walkthrough was a nice touch.

survivor

Banned
Un-Go 4
Remember, Shinjuurou doesn't have to do any real detective work because he has his little pet PLOT HAX tagging along with him. The thought process behind his deductions isn't important to the show; what really matters is rushing through investigations quickly enough to get the weekly CAN I EAT HIS SOUL NOW, SHINJUUROU, actually explaining his thought processes be damned.

Also re AIs being banned, there are conflicting accounts given by different parties. The government claims that the androids were corrupting the public by being used for sex acts, Sasa claims that the government's explanation was an excuse to gain a monopoly over the production of AIs. The New Privacy Protection SOPA Act whatever blah blah was probably involved somehow, too. Keep in mind that the Japanese government is now corrupt and repressive as fuck so a scientific achievement like sentient AI isn't going to mean jack shit to them.

See this is what I don't get, the government wants to ban theses robots cause of corrupting young minds or whatever, but are people really that stupid to buy that excuse? Just grant some special rights to these robots so you can't do whatever the fuck you want with them and problem solved. But seeing how Yuuki is being passed around as a smart detective, I have my doubts that the humans in this universe have any critical thinking

Brazil

Code Geass R2 10

Huh. So apparently I care more about Kallen than I ever thought.
And so does Ledouche.

But we've finally crossed the line in terms of the action. Now we have a dying man born with super-human mech control abilities... And direct hyper beam confrontations. Next thing you know Ledouche will be asking CC what's that mech's power level, and she'll be all bald and angry.

It took a while, but Zero has been finally out-keikaku'ed. Well... Except that not really, because he now has
a clone
or whatever. Geez.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Un-Go 08:

ncNWUl.jpg

Mysterious Android X

Well, that was certainly a resolution.
Kazamori hax, Bettennou hax, some simple deductions, and.........uhh...........I didn't really understand much more than that.
All that I managed to take away from the episode is that
Crazy Guy was indeed crazy and Rinroku is an evil asshole as expected
. Un-Go rushes through shit so quickly and can't seem to explain things any other way than for characters' heads to talk at each other endlessly; so much is lost this way and it's nowhere worth wasting extra time to go back and read things again.

It didn't help that this was the most convoluted, nebulous mystery in the show to date, and
KAISHOU RINROKU IS EVIL
is a really shitty payoff for two episodes' worth of not understanding anything when that's been how every mystery ends. I can't even wish for the show to actually advance the plot in a meaningful way now because there are only three episodes left.

Ultimadrago

Code Geass R2 10

AzAJA.jpg

Power levels!

TouDou got some upgradin' to his samurai mechu! Chinese loli princess is getting the field trip of a lifetime. Kallen gets owned and
captured
while Ledouche tries to not be a douche which ends up screwing over his plans.

Xing-ke has a "God" mech or some crap, but he didn't strike me as the super brainy type. Huh. Book covers and all that.

fyT2t.jpg

D-tard was right about not sacrificing resources in a needless battle, but..."dat ass"! The harem would never be the same were she dead! :(

Anyways, more explosions and mechs and
stalker pictures of bewbies
!

The final scene though..........EXPLAIN Code Geass! EXPLAIN!

Articalys

(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー! 5

Daga, otoko da.

XEBEC must be having so much fun this season.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
sX2V0.jpg

That's actually a very good reason for doing something, why can't Kanade understand that. :(

This was the best episode yet, some nice animation,
yuri~
in the first 30 seconds, and another hot mom to add to the Precure collection.
Though Ban-kun still has the best mom.

Hibiki and Kanade volunteer to help be reporters for a day and show off their town. It was fun seeing how their personalities clash (and occasionally combine) while they point out the highlights of their town.
(there's actually one highlight though, which is that music is everywhere.)

Toei really goes out of their way to prevent any panty shots in this, how far they've fallen since Sailor Moon. :(

9uBae.jpg

JUST FUCKING DIE ALREADY ARIA THE MINOR

*ahem*

There was actually a really cool bit of animation when Hibiki was making her instant ramen.

MIsAH.jpg

Hibiki > Kanade

It really captured just how people do carry stuff filled to the brim with hot liquids.

Apollon 04

Might as well post about it since I still haven't been able to finish Hyouka 02. Its soooo sloooow. Maybe its just not for me. Really cute though. Maybe episode three gets better.

But anyway, Apollon. Not a whole lot seems to happen in this show
, but there is an interesting love quadrangle forming and Richie is still being an emo crybaby. but now he knows about Sentaro's shitty childhood so he was able to suck it up and play some fucking awesome jazz. The Engrish in this episode is pretty laughable but at least they tried. While this show is pretty slow, I'm enjoying it.

Eh? I would say the opposite is true. Pretty much every episode has been jam packed with developments among the characters, and it's only Episode 4. It's almost nothing but stuff happening.

That seems to be Kaoru's approach to romance.

Oh snap.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Un-Go 4

See this is what I don't get, the government wants to ban theses robots cause of corrupting young minds or whatever, but are people really that stupid to buy that excuse? Just grant some special rights to these robots so you can't do whatever the fuck you want with them and problem solved. But seeing how Yuuki is being passed around as a smart detective, I have my doubts that the humans in this universe have any critical thinking

These are all valid questions and it's really the fault of the show for being so uneven in what aspects that it chooses to depict of this futuristic post-war Japan. We know absolutely nothing of the circumstances of the war, why it began, why Japan lost, why there was domestic terrorism, why Japan has a repressive government hell-bent on censoring everything it can, why Kaishou Rinroku has so much power, what his objectives are, etc. We don't know if AIs were successfully banned because Japan is in a state of hyper-patriotism after its sovereignty was threatened and everyone trusts the government implicitly, or if the government can do this regardless of the will of the people because it can back up its repression with force, etc. We really don't know anything.

Un-Go is so frustrating in part because it drops little crumbs of this enormously fascinating political and societal upheaval but won't even establish very basic facts about the world if it's not immediately relevant to the week's mystery. We have all of these bits and pieces everywhere but they're never connected and we're just expected to accept basic facts like Japan being in a state of ruin the government being all-powerful without ever needing to know why. Hell, we're not even treated to basic pieces of knowledge about the identities of the characters. They're impossible to identify with because they're all just talking heads that exist in a vacuum. This isn't how good storytelling works. An entire world is reduced to a handful of recurring plot devices and a faceless, ambiguous mechanism by which mysteries are created. The wasted potential in this show is enormous.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well, I think you hit indirectly on the key point of whether or not this show will work for someone. For this show, I think the primary draw is being able to identify personally with the characters, and NOT the mysteries themselves. This certainly makes it a different paradigm from the typical mystery show.

I wonder if the reason the show works for someone like me is because, when I was younger, I always had an overactive imagination. Not necessarily in the context of solving mundane mysteries, but like this show, I had a habit of "enhancing" everyday events with the power of my imagination.

Essentially this is how I feel about it. Really the only point of the "mysteries" is the show that while he keeps trying to deny that he's special by avoiding to act at every opportunity, he's a very observant, bright person. In a way, he's being portrayed as the over-achiever who can't be bothered, if that makes any sense.

You have his main bunny who's trying to get him to stop being so apathetic without trying to be overly-pushy (more like gentle nudges), Eru who's now seen his ability and refuses to let him go back completely, and the other girl who likes the buddy but seems to have taken an interest in what Oreki is truly capable of when he actually puts out a minimal effort.

Actually, I think that might be very well why the show's mysteries have been so "tame" to this point. I think it's because we're being shown what Oreki can do at the most basic, minimum effort possible. While I don't know if this will be the case, it'd be cool if this meant that later mysteries will be a bit more involved and require more effort from Oreki and further draw him out of his shell.

Master Keaton 31

Urasawa really needs to stop
killing dogs.
It isn't nice.

Master Keaton 32

Speaking of which, Tasuke is the best character in the show.

Master Keaton 33

feb7e.jpg

JKJ67.jpg

MacGyver as fuck.

Makster Keaton 34

I wish I had a drunk bus driver friend like that when I was growing up.

Master Keaton 35

Apparently tying a fish flag to a church is how you get the attention of an entire town.

duckroll

Un-Go 4

These are all valid questions and it's really the fault of the show for being so uneven in what aspects that it chooses to depict of this futuristic post-war Japan. We know absolutely nothing of the circumstances of the war, why it began, why Japan lost, why there was domestic terrorism, why Japan has a repressive government hell-bent on censoring everything it can, why Kaishou Rinroku has so much power, what his objectives are, etc. We don't know if AIs were successfully banned because Japan is in a state of hyper-patriotism after its sovereignty was threatened and everyone trusts the government implicitly, or if the government can do this regardless of the will of the people because it can back up its repression with force, etc. We really don't know anything.

Un-Go is so frustrating in part because it drops little crumbs of this enormously fascinating political and societal upheaval but won't even establish very basic facts about the world if it's not immediately relevant to the week's mystery. We have all of these bits and pieces everywhere but they're never connected and we're just expected to accept basic facts like Japan being in a state of ruin the government being all-powerful without ever needing to know why. Hell, we're not even treated to basic pieces of knowledge about the identities of the characters. They're impossible to identify with because they're all just talking heads that exist in a vacuum. This isn't how good storytelling works. An entire world is reduced to a handful of recurring plot devices and a faceless, ambiguous mechanism by which mysteries are created. The wasted potential in this show is enormous.

You see? Un-Go is a deep and provocative commentary on modern Japan and the state of the media!! Roffles.

survivor

Banned
Un-Go 5

I just realized something.
why doesn't Inga ask each person how they committed the crime. If they didn't, they will answer no or I have no idea, if they did, they will talk in details how they did it.

Do they even have any evidence to arrest the girl? He said they can't even figure out the time of death and they have nothing to make the connection to her.

I feel like the anime would have benefited from a having 24 episodes instead so they can flesh things out more without having to resort to Yuuki spouting random nonsense at the end of each episode. But I have no trust in anyone involved in this anime to do anything logical.

Branduil

sX2V0.jpg

That's actually a very good reason for doing something, why can't Kanade understand that. :(

Indeed, you guys don't know what I would be willing to do for unlimited free pizza. Justice and Righteousness cannot give you unlimited free pizza. I care nothing for them. If that means I must stain my hands with every evil in the world, I don't care. If that will get me unlimited free pizza, I do it gladly.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I feel like the anime would have benefited from a having 24 episodes instead so they can flesh things out more without having to resort to Yuuki spouting random nonsense at the end of each episode. But I have no trust in anyone involved in this anime to do anything logical.

I kind of get the feeling that 24 episodes would just double the number of mysteries rather than double the amount of time given to each mystery. With the show's total disregard for exposition it's a lose-lose situation :(

Indeed, you guys don't know what I would be willing to do for unlimited free pizza. Justice and Righteousness cannot give you unlimited free pizza. I care nothing for them. If that means I must stain my hands with every evil in the world, I don't care. If that will get me unlimited free pizza, I do it gladly.

I am the crust of my slice.
Cheese is my body, and sauce is my blood.
I have baked over a thousand pizzas
Unknown to delivery, Nor known to carry-out,
Have withstood pain to create many pizzas.
Yet those hands will never be greasy.
So as I bake,
UNLIMITED PIZZA WORKS

duckroll

Un-Go 5

I just realized something.
why doesn't Inga ask each person how they committed the crime. If they didn't, they will answer no or I have no idea, if they did, they will talk in details how they did it.

Do they even have any evidence to arrest the girl? He said they can't even figure out the time of death and they have nothing to make the connection to her.

Because it's not about solving the crime. I'm not kidding either. You'll see. :p

Brazil

Code Geass R2 11

Mission: Impossibe
antics. Cheapest keikaku trick in the book.

And so, after 36 episodes, Ledouche decides to
join the fray. I was already starting to wonder where that mech was
, only to find out a couple of minutes later that the only true power in the world is the power of the heart.

And vector cannons.

And then,
BACK TO SCHOOL AGAIN KIDS! WITH MORE KIDS!
Sunrise has absolutely no shame whatsoever.

We're almost halfway through this, so I guess I'll make some considerations about what I've seen of R2 so far.

The first two episodes were pretty terrible in terms of pacing - and I'm saying that while considering the already absurdly quick Geass' usual rhythm as acceptable. Since then, though (the exception being episode 8) the transitions stopped being as frenetic and confusing. Meanwhile, the action up to this point doesn't seem as compelling as the first season's - maybe because the mech combat has switched gears and now it's more beam/superpower-focused, and physical combat has been tossed to the sidelines. The strategic aspect of the battles remains as interesting as ever, though.

Strangely enough, apart from Kallen, who kicks the asses, none of the girls have been relevant up to this point. CC only shows up when Ledouche needs to explain something to the viewers, Kaguya is just there, and Shirley thankfully disappeared (although it seems that'll change now). And Zero seems... Fragile, somehow. It's weird. Maybe it's because he isn't
using his Geass at all.

Rolo's useless.

Oh, and the show suddenly became obsessed with lolis.

Ryuukan

I am the crust of my slice.
Cheese is my body, and sauce is my blood.
I have baked over a thousand pizzas
Unknown to delivery, Nor known to carry-out,
Have withstood pain to create many pizzas.
Yet those hands will never be greasy.
So as I bake,
UNLIMITED PIZZA WORKS

Tell me more of this Eater class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom