• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I'm guessing the reason the characters are drawn this way is because it makes the rotoscoping techniques used in the jamming sessions seem less jarring. If you've seen Nodame Cantabile, especially season 2 and 3, you probably noticed the computer models during the music performances. It's more fluid and substantially less work than hand drawing them when the budget doesn't allow for it (especially when the music budget also consists of hiring and recording a live orchestra), but it is very noticeable.

I thought that the style of the characters was going to bother me more than it did, but after a while I stopped noticing it completely. It's certainly a worthwhile trade-off when you consider there's not really any practical way to do the kind of musical scenes that the show requires..

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression

xeGoyl.jpg

This was the worst shit ever. EVER. I feel so dirty right now, as should everyone who was involved in the making of this utterly stupid film. Do not be tricked by the fact that this film has characters with names like Oeufcocque Penteano, Medium the Fingernail, and (possibly most infamous of all) Welldone the Pussyhand. Mardock Scramble doesn't even remotely live up to the absurdity seemingly promised by the presence of these characters, and instead manages to be boring at best and sickening shit at worst.

So what is Mardock Scramble? It's a story of the friendship between a teenage prostitute and a hyper-intelligent shapeshifting mouse. One part cyberpunk, one part courtroom procedural, one part depraved gorefest, it's basically a bad 90s OVA plus lots of rape plus a ton of boring exposition that sets up several characters, their backgrounds, motivations, and powers only for it all to be totally discarded for a long gunfight against a bunch of meaningless minor characters that say a few lines each and die. Oh, and
it ends on a cliffhanger. Still give a fuck what happens to the main characters? Wait for the next movie, sucker!

I could go on forever about the plot, but it's worth noting just how ugly the film is, too. The entire thing is done in shades of oversaturated neon colors in an attempt to look futuristic but the whole thing is generally really garish and often painful to look at. CG cars abound, and the city itself is simply a series of simple polygonal skyscrapers that barely look better than the infamous helicopter scene in Golgo 13: The Professional. I am not exaggerating: the opening shot of the film may be the ugliest CG that I've seen in an animated film produced in the past decade. 2D animation is competent, but exhibits the extra detail and fluidity that one would normally expect in a feature-length film. Even fight scenes are merely passable; one is ruined entirely by being a CG car chase, and gunfights rely more on explosions of gore than sakuga and interesting choreography.

uL5Vcl.jpg
MeqC6l.jpg

Just look at this puke.

Rune-Balot's character design is also ridiculous, however this seems to be because the animators forgot to make people other than her dress as if it was a futuristic quasi-cyberpunk setting:

sdZkol.jpg

Kusanagi Motoko lite.

Balot is kind of a conundrum, because her characterization and sexualization are constantly competing for supremacy and it just turns her into a really uncomfortable character because of her background as a teenage prostitute and rape victim. She'll be talking about how painful her past is in one scene and there will be gratuitous ass and nipple shots of her in the very next. In the worst instances, there will be gratuitous flashbacks of Balot being raped while she's tearfully recalling the event. There's some pretty extreme dissonance in what the movie wants to be and whether it wants to depict these things as evil and depraved or just wants to be softcore hentai. I left the movie wondering why it was made and for whom. There's no audience that would find this movie totally satisfying.
link me to people who rated this 10 on MAL and I WILL KILL YOU.

UdyLGl.jpg

So deep. U go grrlfriend.

Final verdict: if any of you haven't been exposed to these horrors yet and even remotely trust my opinion, don't watch it. Not even out of morbid curiosity, because that's why I watched it and I was sorely disappointed in that regard. Welldone has like three lines in the film. You've been warned.

Mardock Scramble: The First Compression

Final verdict: if any of you haven't been exposed to these horrors yet and even remotely trust my opinion, don't watch it. Not even out of morbid curiosity, because that's why I watched it and I was sorely disappointed in that regard. Welldone has like three lines in the film. You've been warned.

It had good action scenes and style though, sure it was super mature at times, but not unwatchable.
tumblr_m1d2crYEnk1qjtzsdo1_500.gif

BluWacky

Well I suppose they must think that it attract some kind of audience then.

Well, it's been made into a TV drama four times before and a feature film twice - I guess it must be a relatively well known young adult sci-fi novel in Japan, and I suppose Sunrise et al hope it will continue to be popular.

But then I don't really understand why Sunrise makes some of the films it does. Was King of Thorn really a popular enough manga to get a film adaptation?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hey, I warned you. I warned everyone, ages ago when this first came out. I went to excessive lengths to warn everyone!

Why does no-one ever listen?

I think that I heeded your "warning" in exactly the way you intended!

Rock Lee 6

Starting to get bored of this. Hope the Hinata episode is soon.

Any word on how many episodes this is supposed to last? Is there enough material for it to last more than one or two seasons?

yeah, I want news on Bleach, don't judge me!

Kagami

Accel World 5
The wut: this robot
Haha, yeah the author's acting threw off what was supposed to be a dramatic scene. Not that he sounded any better the previous time, but the scene wasn't as important. One cameo was OK but they probably shouldn't have brought him on again.
He posted on twitter that he won't be in the show anymore.
https://twitter.com/#!/kunori/status/198440796649820162
"Thank you all for dealing with the psychological assault from the glasses-box robot! He won't be appearing anymore (as far as I know), so you can breathe easy and enjoy the remaining episodes!"

Mature Means Boobs and Blood

Do you remember anime in the late 80’s/90’s? Have you had experiences with the OVA’s and movies of that time that were brought over from Japan for western consumption? You know the kind of stuff I mean, the “anime isn’t kids stuff” selection: Mad Bull 34, Ninja Scroll, Baoh, MD Geist etc. Anime for adults, by which they meant a focus on gore and tits. Y’know, the good stuff.

If you were familiar with that selection of anime, and someone told you that they were making a cyberpunk anime you’d probably know what to expect. That poster, which thanks to google I can’t really show, featuring a naked robot-lady would have pretty much confirmed your suspicions.

Somehow I guess I missed the post earlier, I would have been prepared. But yeah, I do want to see the second one.

Any word on how many episodes this is supposed to last? Is there enough material for it to last more than one or two seasons?

yeah, I want news on Bleach, don't judge me!

I thought somewhere had it was listed for two seasons, so 26 episodes? But the manga only has 11 chapters.

Jex

I think that I heeded your "warning" in exactly the way you intended!
When I make a post about an anime I want people who are interested to know exactly what they are getting themselves in for. If they read that and still want to watch it than they're the sick ones.

survivor

Banned
Gosick 1

So let's see

The OP and ED are bad
The main lead is generic looking
The female lead is a loli
The detective has dumb looking hair

Oh yeah, the loli detective solved the "mystery" in less than 2 minutes without even questioning anyone or checking the crime scene. u mad Poirot?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gosick 1

So let's see

The OP and ED are bad

Oh yeah, the loli detective solved the "mystery" in less than 2 minutes without even questioning anyone or checking the crime scene. u mad Poirot?

Why are you watching this when you could be watching more Sora No Woto. :(

Ultimadrago

Gosick 1

Mwuhuhahahahaaaaa

I will be your "bad mystery show" host for this evening!

Enjoy your stay, Mr.survivor!

We have complimentary candy to your left.

Haha, yeah the author's acting threw off what was supposed to be a dramatic scene. Not that he sounded any better the previous time, but the scene wasn't as important. One cameo was OK but they probably shouldn't have brought him on again.
He posted on twitter that he won't be in the show anymore.
https://twitter.com/#!/kunori/status/198440796649820162
"Thank you all for dealing with the psychological assault from the glasses-box robot! He won't be appearing anymore (as far as I know), so you can breathe easy and enjoy the remaining episodes!"
Wait, that was an author insert? That explains the seemingly random focus on him and his strange appearance, which were what confused me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
When I make a post about an anime I want people who are interested to know exactly what they are getting themselves in for. If they read that and still want to watch it than they're the sick ones.

I must have missed your original post on the subject, as it appears to have been months before my account was approved. It was a good read and it seems that we're in agreement on a lot of the problems with the film. I really don't think that I would have watched it if I hadn't felt like there was some subtle winking and nudging going on in later references to Mardock Scramble, though!

There is such an imperceptibly fine line between "don't watch this" and "don't watch this, if you know what I mean" sometimes that mistakes and miscommunications are bound to happen. I'm fine with this! The occasional bad anime cleanses the palette. Now I can probably marathon Sailor Moon for the rest of the day with increased fervor.

survivor

Banned
Why are you watching this when you could be watching more Sora No Woto. :(
I will try to alternate between that and Gosick. I can't marathon 24 episodes that fast.

This is what happens when people bring up Un-go and Gosick. I blame Hyouka.
Hyouka's time will come soon, I'm just waiting for it to have more episodes.

Mwuhuhahahahaaaaa

I will be your "bad mystery show" host for this evening!

Enjoy your stay, Mr.survivor!

We have complimentary candy to your left.

I hope the anime has more loli detective rolling on the floor cause that was the most enjoyable part of the first episode.

survivor

Banned
The song used in the OP for Gosick sounds very familiar. I know I have heard something similar to it in some other anime. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

all you'll get is
loli rape
and
loli impregnation

I have seen the picture you posted and I'm scared of reaching that moment

Jex

I must have missed your original post on the subject, as it appears to have been months before my account was approved. It was a good read and it seems that we're in agreement on a lot of the problems with the film. I really don't think that I would have watched it if I hadn't felt like there was some subtle winking and nudging going on in later references to Mardock Scramble, though!

There is such an imperceptibly fine line between "don't watch this" and "don't watch this, if you know what I mean" sometimes that mistakes and miscommunications are bound to happen. I'm fine with this! The occasional bad anime cleanses the palette. Now I can probably marathon Sailor Moon for the rest of the day with increased fervor.

Mardock Scramble is truly a 90's OVA. That stupidying amount of fanservice, up to and including rape, was present in those productions as well e.g. Violence Jack as well as movies like Ninja Scroll and Wicked City. If it didn't have so much ugly CG you'd think it was a relic from the 90's that just didn't get released for some reason.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Mardock Scramble is truly a 90's OVA. That stupidying amount of fanservice, up to and including rape, was present in those productions as well e.g. Violence Jack as well as movies like Ninja Scroll and Wicked City. If it didn't have so much ugly CG you'd think it was a relic from the 90's that just didn't get released for some reason.

I wouldn't use CG as the metric, since Bebop the Cowboy has a ton of shitty CG in it!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So regarding Saint Seiya Omega ep7-10:

- Looks like the tournament crap ends by the end of ep7, and it's going to be a sort of cop out. Lulz.

- Ep8 is directed and storyboarded by Yukio Kaizawa, a Toei Digimon veteran. The AD is Akihiro Asanuma, another Digimon veteran.

- It looks like the Mars shit finally comes back into play in
ep9, with Ken Ootsuka storyboarding that episode.

- No more synopsis after ep9, but ep10 should be an important episode with Rie Matsumoto directing and storyboarding, while Umakoshi himself is AD once again.
PRAISE BE THE HEAVENS
Revolutionary Girl Utena 8
[...]
I'm sure the rest of the series is exactly like this episode, so I'm never going to watch Utena again. Especially the next episode. I'm sure that preview is lying to me.
This is the one episode you should rewatch immediately after finishing the show.
To be fair, it's understandable why some people don't like Nanami. She is a massive bitch, after all. It's not as bad as Chibiusa where everyone in the western world hates her because she's a child.
People can be wrong and that's perfectly fine.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Saki Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A Episode 5

These graphics be crazy!

Or wibble wobble wibble wobble jelly on a plate

Welp, I guess I'm going to have to start watching this now.

Goddamnit, I may have to start watching this after that one.
That's the power of F-Zero Nintendo. Now you can guarantee at least 10 copies sold if you make a sequel for WiiU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom