• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's one of the few VA's I can recognize and tend to voice my favorite roles...well Haru isnt a favorite on character design, unfortunately, but perfect in avatar form.

The pig or the robot dude?

Personally the fat face + how he tends to talk a lot of shit while still getting his ass kicked until plot armor just urks me in a weird way.

Don't talk shit unless you got a keikaku yo

cajunator

Banned
Still can't get over that end to Wasurenagumo.
That spider girl is [redacted] as hell.
I suppose whether you agree or not depends on how much you despise spiders :p

Lain

Mai-Hime 4

Really nice episode. It didn't pull the story forward much, but it offered some good scenes.
99df080f3ac7fb3477fa1d82d6e1e1540e28d41f.jpg

b10f7c18570a0da0ce1e0b9fb9f518f62cb60cb1.jpg

That nosebleed is perfectly justified.

Mikoto's characterization keeps growing on me, for example when the girls are talking about bras and Mikoto is nodding to everything the girls say, only to shook her head when asked if she understands.
91ae534c88f75386cf3961979965e51f2d8bc9dd.jpg

Don't take away her food!

Natsuki is charming in her own ways. She appears to be putting up a front of sort as a strong girl (at least it looks like that to me so far), which makes certain scenes look even better when her face has some great expressions.
8d175042683c28b45aa26b84afb3664f8fc9b7fd.jpg

That's a great "Hmph!" face, as far as I'm concerned.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sankarea 06:

Totally bankrupt save for the above shot and one or two others like it. There is nothing about this episode that warrants discussion. More ecchi, more of Rea acclimating to zombie life, that's it. The tragedy of the show's freefall continues as usual.

survivor

Banned
So how did Phi Brain get 25 episodes first season and a second season? I was looking for sales numbers and I think it was a total bomba. Strong ratings?

Accel World 6
tumblr_m3vqlm0R7w1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I wanted to throw a book at Haruyuki so much, wow.
Why was he so against Direct Linking with Takumu like that, that would have been the best option and they are already such a great team. This was not the time to throw it into question with trust issues because of a useless trip of morality.
Oh well with that fixed swiftly, enjoyed Takumu's contribution to the plot and story. Really accels in all areas where Haru falls short. Ending moment looked epic
darn he was caught in a burst link

Battle theme music was cool.

wonzo

Banned
Still can't get over that end to Wasurenagumo.
That spider girl is [redacted] as hell.
I suppose whether you agree or not depends on how much you despise spiders :p
fortunately i like spiders so i found her to be moe as hell!
You might like this one. She is absolutely adorable.
well until she drops the girl from her web and the girl presumably dies
maybe she'll
be reborn as a cute spider girl! ..... :(

oh yeah... really should have payed more attention in that 'exposition' episode a while back. Kinda have no clue what's going on in accel world ;P

Is it just mmo drama?

Ultimadrago

Bonus review:
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (Live-Action manga adaptation 'with animated X-rays'!)

You have never seen prison like this before. Join hands and walk with me down the stairs of
impaled plastic eyeballs, cranberry sauce blood, instant healing factor, terrible laughter, double-hook handed villains, more fake crushed skulls, lego block "concrete walls" and some of the most atrocious notable choreography
you have seen in a while.

This has been a Hong Kong public message to not use drugs.

survivor

Banned
Phi Brain 6

This episode's puzzle was meh. Don't like ones based on Japanese words and stuff where I have no idea what's happening.

Also since I'm assuming no more characters with Titles will be introduced time for ranking

1) Da Vinci
2) Galileo
3) Einstein
4) Edison

Reknoc

Phi Brain 6

This episode's puzzle was meh. Don't like ones based on Japanese words and stuff where I have no idea what's happening.

Also since I'm assuming no more characters with Titles will be introduced time for ranking

1) Da Vinci
2) Galileo
3) Einstein
4) Edison

There's still one more.

survivor

Banned

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Random question for you guys. I was just thinking about this earlier and I was wondering how you all feel about this topic.

What would be, in your estimate, the show(s) with the best opening episode?

I'm not talking about the opening animation, and the entire series could collapse later and suck, but that first episode just drew you in and didn't let you go. I'll throw out my personal nominees, though I only plan to talk about a couple shows.

Ouran High School Host Club

This show sets up the entire premise and primary cast in it's first episode. And it did so brilliantly with great pacing, comedic timing, and showing just enough characterization for each of the seven main leads to get a good feel of who everyone is and what they're about at a glance, with a nice little "gotcha" at the end to surprise you and make you want the next episode right away.

Cowboy Bebop

A small, quiet scene is followed by a bombastic opening, leading into a laid back beginning where we're introduced to Spike (or Bebop the Cowboy if you prefer) and his partner Jett. We learn they're bounty hunters, and get a small glimpse into how their lives are about excitement (the fight scene in the square) but also can have some tragic results (the escape attempt for the bounty). This episode completely encapsulates the entire tone of the show to follow, some action, some laid-back scenes, and some bittersweet and/or tragic moments.

survivor

Banned
Phi Brain

Oh lol, episode 7 name just spoiled who is the next person with a title.

Random question for you guys. I was just thinking about this earlier and I was wondering how you all feel about this topic.

I really don't remember opening episodes that well for most anime but I do remember that Gurren Lagann first episode was pretty great and it hooked me on the show.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia.

No, of course I'm kidding. I have to think here.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I'm not talking about the opening animation, and the entire series could collapse later and suck, but that first episode just drew you in and didn't let you go. I'll throw out my personal nominees, though I only plan to talk about a couple shows.

Ouran High School Host Club

This show sets up the entire premise and primary cast in it's first episode. And it did so brilliantly with great pacing, comedic timing, and showing just enough characterization for each of the seven main leads to get a good feel of who everyone is and what they're about at a glance, with a nice little "gotcha" at the end to surprise you and make you want the next episode right away.

Cowboy Bebop

A small, quiet scene is followed by a bombastic opening, leading into a laid back beginning where we're introduced to Spike (or Bebop the Cowboy if you prefer) and his partner Jett. We learn they're bounty hunters, and get a small glimpse into how their lives are about excitement (the fight scene in the square) but also can have some tragic results (the escape attempt for the bounty). This episode completely encapsulates the entire tone of the show to follow, some action, some laid-back scenes, and some bittersweet and/or tragic moments.

The biggest problem was that the characters involved had had no chance for any development yet, so the tragic/bittersweet moments didn't have much impact. Plus I just didn't particularly care for the atmosphere of that episode, it was done better by a bunch of later episodes.

Anyway, what immediately springs to mind for me is Gurren Lagann. A small, quite scene is followed by a bombastic opening, leading to an action packed episode where we're introduced to the 3 mainest characters. We learn about the world they live in, and get a small glimpse into how their lives are about excitement (or at least Kamina is), but also has some tragedy in the past (simon's parents, hints at Kamina's father.). This episode completely encapsulates the entire tone of the first 2/3rds of the show to follow, some action, some laid-back scenes, and some spiral powaaaah to finish it off.

Totakeke

Wolf's Rain... but probably more so because what a disappointment that ended up to be.

wonzo

Banned

I'd have to second TTGL and Nodame Cantabile as having truly amazing opening episodes. More recent examples would have to be Kids on the Slope, KoikeLupin and of course the AoTS Upotte!!

Thoraxes

I would go with TTGL and Nodame as well.

I also really like the first episodes of the Macross series shows, too. And Soul Eater.

Troll-tier: Ga-rei Zero.

I really like the newest Lupin episode, especially now that I've watched the sub. Oscar's the super-Fujiko:
he found an incoming student who's new to the academy and happens to have nearly the exact same facial structure and body structure—took her clothes and general appearance, and shmoozes Fujiko into a hard place. And then he gets distracted when the rest of his elaborate plans fail, simply because he's fucking suck-up to KEIBU.
Doesn't get any better than that. I'm now very confident that he'll be written out of the show by the end, simply because, unlike Lupin and Fujiko, he's not got very good foresight, and his backup plans are currently non-existent. A very full-frontal kind of actor and detective. Oh well.

Still a very polarizing series. But that's how you get more viewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom