• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Toei shounen thing?
The mahou shoujo shows get all the ED budget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hXeDYmWV90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4GMWTEV5So
I don't think anyone here is talking about music.
:( Ok.
It was still educational all through the Monaco Cup arc though. The microwave used when only having eggs comes to mind.
Was that only in the manga? I don't remember that in the animu.

Michiko to Hatchin has this beautiful ED that's simply ruined by the music chosen for it. Masaaki Yuasa deserved better than that—he deserved more SOIL & PIMP SESSIONS.

Eh, I think the urban style of the ED song matches the graffiti visuals.

I don't think anyone here is talking about music.

I try to judge OPs and EDs by how the music and visuals work together, though ultimately the quality of the direction is more important than the quality of the song by itself.

Ultimadrago

Hidamari Sketch 5

8QaQb.jpg

Bloody ghost sickness

Yuno is sick,
apparently, you recieve a red aura to indicate this in the Hidamari world.
She goes back for some rest which leads up to an odd dream sequence. I won't spoil it, but includes Brutus, a bag of flour and a disgruntled principal.

NanRP.jpg

Settings aren't "impressive" by any means, they're definitely "Hidamari", though

It takes on a dream-like narrative. With elements being brought up out of order and Yuno recalling certain ones into the "reality" of her dream rather than using the logic of reality. For example, wondering if her teacher was hiding in a book locker. It's a different feel than what I've seen before from Hidamari Sketch, even changes pace a bit.

After that Miya comes in to check on Yuno and
strip her to put on some new clothes!
:firehawk Some harmless girlfriend action.

This followed by more acid trip dreaming and some texts from friends. Blah Blah, they come over with medicine and junk food to hang and Miya does her best Principal impression. Got the right amount of shaky in it as well.

I'm not sure why my "impressions" always feel more like summaries for this show, less so for a number of others. It could be because of it's stature and organization as a "slice-of-life". Anyhow, strange(?) episode, yet anything different for this series is usually welcome by myself. Though regardless of the difference in visual aesthetic and tone for the first half of the episode, it still comes around to the girls looking out for one another, being friends, ya know, what the series usually stands for.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
We should, then we could talk about stuff like this.

Oh God.

The 45-minute cycle ends, and still I cannot find my socks

My detergent cruelly mocks me

AHAHAHAHAHAAA!

Spinning in the darkness, LOAD THIS DRYER, my meido is on vacation so I must fold my own pants

In this crowded laundromat, LAUNDRY PLAYER, some bastard has stolen my hamper

Sorting in the darkness, LOAD THIS DRYER, now where was my nice pair of khakis?

A forbidden water temperature, LOAD THIS DRYER, SACRIFICE A SHEET TO GAWD!

Bwahahaha.

Branduil

One of my least favorite EDs of all time is the one for Escaflowne. It's just completely dissonant from the rest of the show. Plus the song is awful. I always race to press stop before that terrible beat starts, lol.

Branduil

It seems like Tatsuyuki Nagai shows always have better EDs than OPs. And of course one of his trademarks is transitioning into the ED song before the episode actually ends.

duckroll

Suzuki has some trademarks I really like. He likes to creatively use text and logos in his EDs to create a unique mood which is different from the normal tone of the show. This isn't true of ALL his works, but he does it often enough that it's clearly a personal preference for him. He also uses interesting fonts.

It seems like Tatsuyuki Nagai shows always have better EDs than OPs. And of course one of his trademarks is transitioning into the ED song before the episode actually ends.

Speaking of transitioning into the ED song during the closing scene of the episode, Natsume's Book of Friends is a series that makes good use of that, and also has beautiful ED visuals, all solo work by Takahiro Kishida.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Akari wasn't even in it so the contest was stupid to begin with.

None of the Yuru Yuri girls are even cute, it makes sense that none of them are in it. Or alternatively, stick some stupid joke about how Akarin~ doesn't exist here.

:)

I'll take that as confirmation to not watch the hypothetical movies if I ever finish the series.
I've only gotten to watch the first movie so far, but I didn't think it was that bad. The plot may be silly, but you get to spend more time with the characters. Which is pretty much how I felt about the original series, anyway.

What, no response to my posts about ep. 6 of Saki Achiga-hen? Too bad... the show deserves more discussion here!

On the note of Achiga-hen, apparently Arata in the series's design is based off of that of someone. See, The Legend of Koizumi's author did a little 8-page bonus chapter called "Ritz" that tells a (fictional, most certainly) version of a part of Ritz's own story, as she confronts the mafia-like group who apparently control mahjong mangas. In the story, Ritz Kobayashi looks almost exactly like the design she'd later use for Arata. See here:

http://www.abload.de/img/ritzlxfnp.png (image removed for size; click to see the page)

ritz2panelv1fer.png
Heh.

You all like KEY Anime and consider Ano Hana shit. Consider HotD ''fun'' show and dismiss shows like Baka no Test. I shall be not be linked with you lot again.

NEVER!
That's not really true, I think a majority of people here would probably disagree to any one of those... maybe not all, but anyway, all four of those are certainly debatable points people in animegaf do not agree on.

Few accurate statements start with "you all".
Yeah, absolutes are often false.

ABe art is always worth looking at. Perhaps making a general appreciation thread with Despera as part of it would be the best option.

It'll be resurrected years later to popular acclaim
when the show comes out - haha.
Artbooks are all well and good, but we really, really, REALLY need another ABe anime...

Not depth, per se, but I'm trying to find what it is that made it popular. If I'm watching it wrong, how do I watch it right? :(

Alright guys, I'll keep watching. I'll go to 15 and then see if I finish it or not.
Code Geass is about unbelievably stupid plot twists, lots of violence and random character deaths/mass damage, crazy characters... overdone everything, pretty much. Either you like that style of flashy and unbelievably stupid junk, or you hate it. I'm on the hate side, myself.

Anyway though, what made it popular is the over-the-top nature of the thing and the perceived ridiculousness of everything. I think it's just really, really stupid and too often cruel, myself, (oh, and I don't like the characters either!) but I know a lot of people here disagree with me.

Sora no Woto 12 (FINAL) + Specials

With the exception of 7 (I didn't like the show's melodramatic take on PTSD), I agree that the last quarter show is generally pretty good. In a sense, SnW is a lot like Clannad's story structure in that my only worry in recommending it to others is that they have to wade through some meh stuff to get to the part where the series truly shines. And that's my main problem with SnW. There's some unremarkable writing in the first 3/4 but then it all comes together in the end in a very "Oooohhh, I get it now" fashion.

And bone me, Kanata has got to be the most adorable thing in uniform. Episode 8 was almost unbearable in that regard.
With the exception of the
Kanata has to hold in her bladder
episode, there is no meh stuff in SnW. Not even remotely, in any way. I guess 7.5 might be the next closest to that, but I found that episode fun enough, so no... there is no meh stuff to "get through". And also, as Firehawk also said, there are many references to the later plot points earlier on in the series. Maybe you weren't paying enough attention to notice them?

I liked the first half as well, since that was the world building. Probably the only thing that didn't make sense was the silly Mafia thing, but that was just derpy anime stuff and gave them a chance to do a "moe" Roshomon riff.

And of course, things like Noel's episode tie directly to the ending as well.
I entirely agree -- the first half is fantastic. The world-building part's just as amazing as the drama part is. And yes, many, many elements tie back into the plot later on.

cajunator

Banned
Another good ending from Mahoraba Heartful Days. A happy cute little song set to a fun storybook art style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgTJcmc2tpE

For some reason youtube keeps taking down this ending theme, Probably because they suck.

None of the Yuru Yuri girls are even cute, it makes sense that none of them are in it. Or alternatively, stick some stupid joke about how Akarin~ doesn't exist here.

Speaking of fun ending themes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmSs1Xelxtg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I thought it was about moéness and the whole lack of presence stick isn't pretty moé.

Also half the contestants weren't even cute.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Medaka Box 7

Bwahahaha. I have to admit, this episode was pretty funny. That first skit with Hitoyoshi and Kikaijima was awesome, and Medaka's reaction to being called
too perfect for art
was good too, haha.

And...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Who are you and what did you do to Medaka Box?!

And here it comes!

cajunator

Banned
Medaka Box 7

Bwahahaha. I have to admit, this episode was pretty funny. That first skit with Hitoyoshi and Kikaijima was awesome, and Medaka's reaction to being called
too perfect for art
was good too, haha.

And...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Who are you and what did you do to Medaka Box?!

And here it comes!

Genre shift start?

Is Shiranui still the best thing about it?

Soma

After reading through a bit of the Medaka Box manga, I kind of understand now why a few people are all "just wait a few more episodes" and such. If it ends up delving into the next few arcs I might actually find myself picking this show back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom