• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Roukyuubu 3-12 FREEDOM

Overall, this show was pretty much Infinite Stratos but with lolis and basketball rather than mechs, tsunderes, and Char.

In conclusion, to the people who support this:

eofIZ.jpg

So, the worst anime ever?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Lots of short lived Shounen Jump manga had good pacing

Last 50 episodes of D.Gray-man were a nonstop bullet train of awesome. Had to end the show after 100 episodes because it burned through all of the manga up to that point!

Branduil

In all seriousness, I really don't like the introduction of this new character and the strange direction it's taken the show. I mean,
is he literally scheming to separate Karou and Sen for his own personal goals while pretending to be the nice guy? If so, that's the kind of stupid plot that really doesn't belong on this show.

I don't even understand where this whole plot-line came from, it almost feels like some other writer injected into the show to MIX THINGS UP but it's just a horrible mistake for all involved. It's just feels incredibly forced.

I think the main problem is that the character is completely unnecessary. KotS already has a large cast of characters who could have been used to bring about the desired character conflicts in a better way.

Jex

A classic anime gag, it feels especially tacky and forced in E7:AO due to the show otherwise being light on fanservice. There has never been a reason for this kind of scene to occur in the entire history of anime other than to serve as a cheap attempt at titillating the audience.

Now now, there's one example of this where you are actually wrong. Can you guess what show I am referring to?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Dog Soldier:

Just goes to show that you can't trust a bitch with bio/chemical weapons. Nothing that stabbing a few people and fucking up an entire private terrorist island won't fix, though. An AIDS plot in the 80s, so retro-edgy! SERIOUS MATURE ANIME FOR SERIOUS MATURE ADULTS.

Now now, there's one example of this where you are actually can wrong. Can you guess what show I am referring to?

oh god, I'm being tested.

E........

Evangelion?

Branduil

Kids on the Slope 6:
This girl sucks at painting.

It also exposes that she had no real artistic need to have Sentaro model for her, if that was how she was going to paint him.

Perhaps the show is mocking her silly ideas about art and jazz!

I think, in the little characterization Yurika has gotten, we see that she's a girl who likes to give off the impression of maturity, but is actually still quite childish. Which is not surprising, she's a teenager after all.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Poyopoyo] whatever number

Weak episode.

[Space Brothers] 08

Show of the season keeps being the show of the season, yadda yadda. Not in the mood for long explanations but this totally hit the spot with Mutta's reaction to the plot developments.

survivor

Banned
Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou 11-13

They went all out with the last 3 episodes. Loved how they were connected. I was surprised to see a
gathering of other people who can see youkai. I would have expected something bigger and more named characters but it wouldn't mesh well with the anime being focused on Natsume only. I wonder if these people have Pokemon style battles to see who has caught the best youkai. Would be fun to see a spinoff like this

The kid's story in the last 2 episodes was good. Had a good excuse to show the entire cast of characters and bring back Natori again. Speaking of him, he said something about the tattoo not moving to his leg. I was expecting something dangerous to happen but maybe they are saving it for another season?
Overall great season. I mean I don't even remember the first one that much right now so I can't compare the two, but I liked most if not all of the stories in the second one. I would have liked to see more of Hinoe, but there is only so much you can do with a youkai

Season 3 will have to wait a while. Got a lot of shows watching in the spring season plus I really want to go back to watching Gintama. Beside I feel like all of Natsume stories are the same so there is only so much I can take at one time. I will most likely watch it in the summer season when the only anime I will end up sticking with is the awesome Binbougami ga

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You know what the fuck screw you guys I'm not reading 250+ posts just to keep in touch with y'all.
At first it was just crazy lady and childhood friend. Now we've got glasses girl and next week we get I don't fucking even.
One look at the OP should have told you everything.
Well, many shows don't even bother to hide it for one episode, so I guess they should be congratulated.
Being lied to isn't a bad thing necessarily.
You might as well root for Kanna. At least Wanko hasn't actively friend-zoned anyone, but I assume she's still destined to be foreveralone because she's in love with a worthless anime protagonist. Good father's don't let their daughters spend time with main characters.

Okay, y'all making a habit out of this now.
I assume this habit may be related to the NTR craziness.
I havent gotten to that episode of Sankarea yet.
You are already dead.

Also thank God Mad Pierrot can see over E7AO's stupidity and manipulation.

ALSO ALSO fucking NEXT EPISODE PREVIEWS they fucking spoiled the cliffhanger in this week's Space Bros episodes and I'm just now realising it fuckers shitters wankertwats alg;langa;l

Branduil

What the devil

Because surely we didn't already have enough anime adaptations that deal with sibling love.

Incidentally, one trope I've really grown quite tired of is the nonexistent parents one. Mainly because it is so often used only because the writer can't think of a way for his story to work if parents actually exist and have a role in their children's lives.

Defuser

Space Bros ep8
Finally the good light shine upon Mutta after a several downcast feelings and it feels so good.
Show of the season.

Faithless

Alright, so I've tried Kids on the Slope (love it, watching), Space Bros. (not as in love, but still keeping up), Eureka Seven (nope), Saint S (nope), Zetman (okay, I guess I'll stay on board), Jormungand (eeeh, I think I fell asleep in episode 2) ...

... this season seems really lackluster to me, GAF. Am I missing this spring's breakout show?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Congratulations, you passed.

That's not necessarily a good thing.

I really failed this test years ago when I first watched Evangelion as a teenager and responded to that scene in the opposite way from which it was intended.

Alright, so I've tried Kids on the Slope (love it, watching), Space Bros. (not as in love, but still keeping up), Eureka Seven (nope), Saint S (nope), Zetman (okay, I guess I'll stay on board), Jormungand (eeeh, I think I fell asleep in episode 2) ...

... this season seems really lackluster to me, GAF. Am I missing this spring's breakout show?

I'd recommend giving both Tsuritama and Hyouka a try, but based on what you've enjoyed and not enjoyed, I don't think that you'll find much more to glean from this season. You've already tried out most of the good stuff and most of what's left is either pretty niche or steeped in otaku culture.

Soma

Fate/Zero

Upotte!!

trejo

Gurren Lagann?

GL had that? We really need a database of some sort to keep track of this.

I really failed this test years ago when I first watched Evangelion as a teenager and responded to that scene in the opposite way from which it was intended.

So you mean you didn't fap to it?

Shining Hearts - Bread of Happiness!

Branduil

You're right, that is a great shot and I think it nicely demonstrates the important role that background art and mise-en-scene play in establishing mood.

For those of you who might not know exactly what I am talking about when I go on about stuff like the important of background art is to take a look at something really extreme. For the most part, it's easy not to pick up on things like this because they're usually handled in a subtle fashion, but that's not always the case.

For example, lets take a very famous and influential German Expressionist film, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari from 1920. To explain very briefly, the German Expressionist movement attempted to use the visual language of film to capture the emotions and feelings of characters, rather than displaying the traditional realistic world.

To provide an example of how this different from a 'traditional' film, imagine a sequence where a character explains how he is going insane through dialogue and physical acting. An expressionist film would use imagery to tell that a character was going insane, perhaps by having the scenery become distorted or deranged. It's also important to remember that number of these works came from a time before sound, so long bouts of exposition were hardly common anyway. You might say that they were forced to resort to more complicated techniques to convey emotions and ideas. (This may remind many of the ancient debate about showing vs. telling).

GE would convey those kind of themes and emotions through lighting, scenery, shadows, strange angles, composition, contrast unusual costumes, unnatural acting and so forth. Here's an example from The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari:

600full-the-cabinet-of-dr-caligari-screenshot.jpg

It's pretty noticeable, right? The gentleman on the bed is right at the back of the frame far away from the audience. The scenery is nightmarish and otherworldly, with no straight lines in sight. See how even the walls appear to be falling in on him, making it look like the whole world is out of balance and unstable. It looks like the whole world is going to crush him.

Now, this is not the kind of imagery you see often today because it is so extreme and unrealistic. That isn't to say that background art can't play the same role today, it's just a lot subtler these days. Let's return to Kids on the Slope and this image:

Apollon6Corridor.jpg

Does anything stand out to you about this image? Can you put it into words? To me it looks like someone who is isolated, withdrawn and possibly unhappy. What, exactly, about the image helps to convey any of these feelings? I think it's helpful to look at where Karou is positioned in the frame and what we're actually seeing. Here's how the scene looks if I highlight all the straight lines:

Apollon6Lines.jpg

Now you'll notice how much depth this frame contains. By depth, I mean that the image feels like it represents an actual three-dimensional space, like there's space that extends into the back of the shot as opposed to everything existing on a flat plane at the front of the image. They achieve this by having lots of lines which lead inwards and away from the front of the image, as well as by having objects appear near the front of the frame out of focus. You'll see the same thing in the Caligari image above. The depth of the frame helps draw you into the image and makes it more believable. In this case, it also shows how distant Karou is from audience (and a certain girl that he is thinking about). Now, you might not be thinking all this when you watch the scene but your brain is picking up and responding to the imagery on display.

Now, there's more to this image that just depth. It's also worth noting how inconsequential Karou appears to the image, he isn't even the central figure, he's off to the right. The dominant item in the frame is that staircase which slopes imposingly towards the middle of the frame taking up more space than anything else. Your eye can't help but be drawn along straight lines, and there's so many in this particular shot that you don't actually focus on Karou that much even though he's the only figure in that image, literally isolate from everyone else and yet he's not even important enough to be centred properly in the frame.

As a final amusing note, this shot is filled with windows and glass that would normally let light in and brighten up an image (and in turn, brighten up our mood) yet the image is extremely dark and heavy. There's only a bit of light coming in from the partially obscured window on the left, but it does nothing for the overall image. It's just a very dark shot, mirroring Karou's mood.

In summary, this image achieves it's goal of leaving an emotional impression on the audience through:

- Having Karou appear on his own, isolated

- Creating a deep image where Karou is withdrawn from the audience

- Low levels of lighting that create a dark mood

- Making something other than Karou the centre of the image.

Here's an image which fails to achieve anything:

Sankarea6-1.png

Can you see how bad that looks? Yeah.

This is a pretty great analysis. I would also add that the background is visually interesting as a composition in its own right, in the appealing way that its lines and play off of each other, and the way it manages contrasts. For instance, the way that the darker area to the lower left is balanced against the lighter area towards the right, or the way that Kaoru, who is a dark figure against a lighter background, is balanced with the sunlit window against a darker background. Art direction works best when it is both meaningful and visually appealing at the same time.

And speaking of the lines, as well as what you talked about, what's also interesting is how they create a large amount of suggested space that we can't actually see, due to it being behind corners and walls. Combined with the extreme number of slanted lines, this helps suggest inner turmoil and hidden emotions.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I found it creepy the first time I watched it and I did that when I was a horny thirteen-year-old.

I am proud to say I did not fap. Pinky swear.

Instro

Fate/Zero, Lupin, Tsuritama, Hyouka, Mysterious Girlfriend X. All of these are good or great shows.

Branduil

Hyouka, if you don't mind extremely light material that's exceptionally well-animated and directed.

shinji'shandatthebeginningofendofeva.jpg

Makoto

Ponyo

Now here's a feel good film if I ever saw one. Aside from it's tale of love and the like, I really, really liked the animation and sound design. How it all came together was incredible. It really lent a sense of reality to the objects.
An example that really stood out to me was when Ponyo was punished after having her arms and legs emerge for the first time and she's asleep in the bubble while the smaller fish gather around and sort of "chew" their way through to free her. The rubbery sound coupled with the very detailed motion of the fishes made for some very convincing imagery.

I was really curious about the English dub seeing as how it had Liam Neeson, Tina Fey, Betty White and Matt Damon. I come to find out Matt Damon
was merely casted for marketing purposes seeing as how he only had around 5 lines in the entire thing.
It was also really hard to pin Liam Neeson's voice on Fujimoto. I just kept hearing Liam Neeson, not Fujimoto as played by Liam Neeson.

I know Ponyo is regarded as one of the lesser Miyazaki but I really liked it. I think its got a lot of heart that I could sympathize with despite it being aimed at children.

Spirited Away

I've really been trying to figure out what this is about, at the heart of it.
Not to get into too heavy but my take on this starts in the beginning with who Chihiro is. Here we have a very fearful and cautious girl. She likes to play it safe, very safe. She has no interest in surveying the abandoned theme park. She cautions her parents against sampling the seemingly free food to which they beckon her with the assurance that they have credit cards and what not. Chihiro is very much afraid to face her problems. Her journey into the dreamworld isn't so much a realization of how society operates but rather a realization of just how bad the problems of our society have become, polluted rivers and such being the metaphors for such problems. She has to eat food of her world to prevent herself from disappearing (I interpreted this as a metaphor to recover cultural identity in an ever increasingly globalized world). She does what she does in the other world under the notion that she can save her family from what they've become.

I see Spirited Away as a story of the burden future generations will have to endure for the insatiable appetite that past generations indulged themselves in (a prominent real world example, Japanese debt). All the while, future generations must present solutions to these problems without losing their cultural identity. Well, looking at wikipedia, my interpretation of the film doesn't deviate at all from what others have said. What would probably be considered radical however is me saying that I enjoyed Ponyo more than I did Spirited Away. I certainly understand the praise Spirited Away gets but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Grzi

Last 50 episodes of D.Gray-man were a nonstop bullet train of awesome. Had to end the show after 100 episodes because it burned through all of the manga up to that point!

Too bad the first 50 episodes had more than 20 episodes of really bad filler in them.

But yeah, once you get past that, the last 50 episodes are amazing, a shounen paradise. Too bad the manga kinda sucks now and we'll probably never see a continuation of the anime.

Makoto

Tsuri- Oh, it's been mentioned.

Shining- beaten.

Well then: Natusiro Kiseki.

Serious answer is Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

Ultimadrago

トロン: アップライジング (Tron: Uprising 1)

Heeeeey, that wasn't too shabby.

Who didn't see that little twist coming though?

I'm up for another episode.

Fate/Zero.

That's it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I found it creepy the first time I watched it and I did that when I was a horny thirteen-year-old.

I am proud to say I did not fap. Pinky swear.

I didn't go as far as...uhh...that, but I did take it to just be a fanservice scene and I was oblivious to all of the creepy. Dark little rust-stained apartment with bloody bandages and medicine bottles everywhere? That was totally my aesthetic and I was too busy feeling a perverse wish to live in a place like that to care too much about naked Rei.

It was another trick question!

You do want to pass, don't you?

If I have to ask if I've passed, I've already failed.

Too bad the first 50 episodes had more than 20 episodes of really bad filler in them.

But yeah, once you get past that, the last 50 episodes are amazing, a shounen paradise. Too bad the manga kinda sucks now and we'll probably never see a continuation of the anime.

Even the non-filler stuff was pretty hard to get through for me. I mostly just stuck with it during the early parts because Miranda Lotto was mai waifu.

Yeah, I've heard that the manga kind of went to shit due to the mangaka being ill frequently and the format switching to monthly, but I'd still like to see some kind of adaptation some day. The climax that the anime ended on was too painful to just be left hanging forever :(

Branduil

Ponyo

Now here's a feel good film if I ever saw one. Aside from it's tale of love and the like, I really, really liked the animation and sound design. How it all came together was incredible. It really lent a sense of reality to the objects.
An example that really stood out to me was when Ponyo was punished after having her arms and legs emerge for the first time and she's asleep in the bubble while the smaller fish gather around and sort of "chew" their way through to free her. The rubbery sound coupled with the very detailed motion of the fishes made for some very convincing imagery.

I was really curious about the English dub seeing as how it had Liam Neeson, Tina Fey, Betty White and Matt Damon. I come to find out Matt Damon
was merely casted for marketing purposes seeing as how he only had around 5 lines in the entire thing.
It was also really hard to pin Liam Neeson's voice on Fujimoto. I just kept hearing Liam Neeson, not Fujimoto as played by Liam Neeson.

I know Ponyo is regarded as one of the lesser Miyazaki but I really liked it. I think its got a lot of heart that I could sympathize with despite it being aimed at children.

Spirited Away

I've really been trying to figure out what this is about, at the heart of it.
Not to get into too heavy but my take on this starts in the beginning with who Chihiro is. Here we have a very fearful and cautious girl. She likes to play it safe, very safe. She has no interest in surveying the abandoned theme park. She cautions her parents against sampling the seemingly free food to which they beckon her with the assurance that they have credit cards and what not. Chihiro is very much afraid to face her problems. Her journey into the dreamworld isn't so much a realization of how society operates but rather a realization of just how bad the problems of our society have become, polluted rivers and such being the metaphors for such problems. She has to eat food of her world to prevent herself from disappearing (I interpreted this as a metaphor to recover cultural identity in an ever increasingly globalized world). She does what she does in the other world under the notion that she can save her family from what they've become.

I see Spirited Away as a story of the burden future generations will have to endure for the insatiable appetite that past generations indulged themselves in (a prominent real world example, Japanese debt). All the while, future generations must present solutions to these problems without losing their cultural identity. Well, looking at wikipedia, my interpretation of the film doesn't deviate at all from what others have said. What would probably be considered radical however is me saying that I enjoyed Ponyo more than I did Spirited Away. I certainly understand the praise Spirited Away gets but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Spirited Away seems to very much be a film about the importance of traditional Japanese values(though to its credit it also acknowledges negative aspects of them) and how modern Japan is not equipping children to deal with the reality of life.

Of course what I learned from the internet is that it's actually a propaganda piece for communism.

I see. But if its etymology had sexual connotations in the past, why would the premise seem faulty if it's referring to the currently prevalent usage of the word than its origins? Do you still think the use of moe has any sexual connotation today?

From that one quote, I was thinking in terms of discussing how the word's meaning has changed over time, and what exactly that meaning is. That's usually the kind of discussion I see over the word, though that's not saying much because I don't particularly notice tons of discussion of it. But yea, things like "the word used to mean this, but now it means this" is where I was assuming the quote was based in.

But like I said, I read some of the article to put it into context, and yea, I was just jumping to conclusions.

Modern usage of the word, I think it's still got sexual connotations to it. Just not from everyone that uses it. Lots of people just use it as a substitute for kawaii because they seem to think it means the same thing, but others use it for things that are sexually attractive in nature, because they're sexually attractive in nature. I don't think either of those usages are true to the word's origins, however, I think it's interesting that even when misused you can usually see a trace of the word's original meaning.

Grzi

Watching Zetman but not Eureka :O Damn son.

Try Fate/Zero (although you'll have to watch the first season first, but that shouldn't be a problem), you might enjoy Mysterious Girlfriend X too, the premise is wacky and a bit too "anime" if you will, but the show is meticulously done.
Also, Tsuritama, and maybe Lupin, it has it's ups and downs but I'd say it's worth checking out for the art style alone.

Makoto

Spirited Away seems to very much be a film about the importance of traditional Japanese values(though to its credit it also acknowledges negative aspects of them) and how modern Japan is not equipping children to deal with the reality of life.

Of course what I learned from the internet is that it's actually a propaganda piece for communism.
If this thread was partly responsible, then I very much understand what you've gone through.

Branduil

That seems like nitpicking to me. People talk side by side all the time.

It makes so much sense to compare a scene with important impact for the story with a normal scene of another anime.

The fact that you contrast "scenes with important impact for the story" with "normal anime scenes" speaks volumes.

Sankarea6-1.png

I must beg to differ. The mood being aimed for is quite different from the one in Kids on the Slope, and the scenery accurately reflects that. First and foremost, observe the plants in the foreground. The effect of various household plants is a large part of the show, and directly related to what the characters are discussing. It's place of prominence in the front of the frame, yet discretely to the side, ties it into the conversation and theme of the show, while remaining unobtrusive. Observe the open door: A door ajar can often represent a fair number of things. Haste, an invasion of privacy, carelessness... the list goes on. Here, it represents the laid back nature of the scene. These are people who are enjoying the moment, they aren't bothered with whether or not insects are going to fly in, or the cat escapes. Furthermore, it represents motion, or a change: They've just recently gone from the cool indoors to the hot outdoors. This change from "cool" to "warm" is also reflected in the conversation; the characters are rejoicing over a positive change that has occured. Again, the change from shadow by the door to the pool of sunlight they stand in is no accident. Now, let's focus on the characters themselves. They unnaturally face the viewer, and jexhius uses this as a complaint: but is that right? He himself observed on the effectiveness of unnaturalness in a visual media. Just look at the image from The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari that he provided. Extremely unnatural; but effective. In Sankarea, the scene captured by that screenshot is of an expository nature, and the characters directly facing the viewer, almost as if they were conversing with him or her, subtly reflects that. Each pose also has meaning, reflecting the more lighthearted nature of the scene, and the characters themselves. The hands-on-hips pose is a classic one of relaxation, and relaxation often springs from relief. In this case, the relief from the fact that Rea's situation is improving. The old man has a simplistic expression, reflecting his simplistic, almost senile personality. Wanko's is full of excitement and exuberance: again, a clear mirror of her personality. With all this said, I must respectfully disagree with Jexhius on his conclusion of that scene from Sankarea.

See guys, this is happening because you encouraged those Bebop the Cowboy posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom