• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
MGX

13375038194886jumn.jpg

ehhh... what?

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 8

the moral of the story is to not fuck with carpenters, hungry bears or smartarse kids.

You might well think that, but Anno's been really open about other things relating to the series. For example, he admits that most of the symbolism is there 'just to look cool', so I don't see why he'd bother lyung about Rei.
I just find it incredibly hard to believe that something as pandering as Rei could be created unintentionally.

Accel World 7

I won't lie, I nearly stopped watching until karen turned into a fucking ferret. SO CUTE.

I still have no clue what this show is suppose to be... I'm still baffled that this is just based off a VN and not some video game similar to pokemon/megaman battle network.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R 59
51hCe.jpg

When did I start watching Sailor Arjuna?

So I guess this plot arc about
Eiru and An
is over! The doom tree turned out to be a real asshole,
why wait so long to speak?
Also I was quite pissed when
An died,
so it was good that
they revived her at the end of the episode.

tSMWN.jpg

Just look at poor Mako's face.

Moonlight Knight's identity was also finally revealed, I must say I was hoping for something a lot better than that. But I guess the Status Quo has finally been obtained again. On to the next plot arc!

Articalys

Sad news time:
Voice actress Yuko Goto (Hiro in Hidamari Sketch, Mikuru Asahina in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) revealed on Saturday evening that the ailment that led to her hospitalization this month is an autoimmune disease. As Goto explained, this disease occurs when a person's immune system attacks his or her own body — in Goto's case, her heart, lungs, and blood cells. In her first blog posting in about a month and a half, Goto reported that her hospital stay will be two and a half months at the minimum.

Goto said that everyone at her management at Axl One — from the president (fellow voice actor Toshiyuki Morikawa) on down — has been watching over her for days at the hospital and talking with her parents, who came to Tokyo to visit their daughter. She previously wrote in her blog about a similar disease she suffered during junior high school, but she recovered thanks to treatment from excellent doctors.
Hope her recovery goes well.

Kazzy

I know Ponyo is regarded as one of the lesser Miyazaki but I really liked it. I think its got a lot of heart that I could sympathize with despite it being aimed at children.

I'm with you, and it seems to be a trend that I have with most of the Ghibli films. Porco Rosso and The Cat Returns are among my personal favorites. The latter specifically, it just gives the impression of being far enough removed from the standard formula (Both in art and the fact its a semi-sequel) that it grabbed be pretty quickly, that and The Baron is a fantastic character.

tumblr_m3khr5obKO1rupioyo1_500.jpg

Anyone who has watched it will know what I don't search for any artwork, I'm scared of what fan-art I might find!

tumblr_m3f1wnwZ3G1qif8koo1_500.gif

Maybe this seems deliberately contrary to popular opinion too, because Spirited Away is one Ghibli film I can say I disliked (actually no I tell a lie, Tales from Earthsea bears that distinction too). I'd probably have to watch it again though, it was my first Ghibli film after all, so I at least owe it that. I think the overwhelmingly positive opinion probably influenced my expectations too much, especially as was close to release.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Spirited Away isn't very good. It made me fall asleep 40 minutes in. Any Miyazaki movie made after Porco Rosso (which is awesome) isn't very good.

duckroll

I've posted my impressions on F/Z ep20 in the F/Z thread. Those interested should read it there, since I don't like cross-posting huge posts. Kinda pointless!

Those numbers don't really mean anything when you consider that the Bleach manga already has ridiculously shitty pacing.

There's just no way in hell Bleach has better pacing than One Piece. You can like it more than the latter (although that'd still be weird)... But claiming it has better pacing is bizarre.

I keep forgetting this is the anime thread. Yeah the big 3 anime have pretty shitty pacing especially One Piece. It's just constant reaction faces and camera showing the scenery for 5 minutes and then back to 5 more minutes of reaction shots and then you just realize the episode is over.

When you are getting episodes where characters are standing with their mouth open as the camera just pans to them and others for minutes, then One Piece does not have better pacing than Bleach, this happened quite a bit, not to mention those extremely long recaps of the previous episodes.

Kazzy

Have you seen Only Yesterday? Do you agree that it's the best Ghibli movie?

tumblr_lqhm6bTWu31qm9ro1o1_400.gif

That and Ocean Waves are fantastic pieces, they just sort of creep up on you. Obviously both will have different effects depending on your age, they both make me really nostalgic in their own ways. They're perfect Sunday films, in that they're so melancholy, but in a good way.

Hunter x Hunter 32
tumblr_m4b3hxYlvS1qlp4x9o1_500.gif

The fight was cool
he actually did die in a frenzy dance
, even with that satanic magic trick (math).The animators must love having the names come up like that, which is nice. Nen stitching looked amazing. I thought recapping the entire fight to reveal what was done was a unique way of doing things for the anime and didnt feel all that boring. Confused on the shower scene
is he or is he not a phantom troupe member?

Hunterpedia always makes me laugh.

DiGiKerot

For the more than likely final anime production of Milky Holmes (season 2 = bomba) I'm sure he can make it an 100 image impression instead!

Did you see the number of people who turned up for that live event, though?

Whilst the anime disks may not have been shifting, that franchise is surely making money somewhere...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yuki Goto in hospital with Auto-Immune disease

From the description, it sounds like what nearly killed my father a few years back. :/ Thank the powers that be for medical science.

Anime News Network said:
Voice actress Yuko Goto (Hiro in Hidamari Sketch, Mikuru Asahina in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) revealed on Saturday evening that the ailment that led to her hospitalization this month is an autoimmune disease. As Goto explained, this disease occurs when a person's immune system attacks his or her own body — in Goto's case, her heart, lungs, and blood cells. In her first blog posting in about a month and a half, Goto reported that her hospital stay will be two and a half months at the minimum.

Goto said that everyone at her management at Axl One — from the president (fellow voice actor Toshiyuki Morikawa) on down — has been watching over her for days at the hospital and talking with her parents, who came to Tokyo to visit their daughter. She previously wrote in her blog about a similar disease she suffered during junior high school, but she recovered thanks to treatment from excellent doctors.

If the treatment is anything like my father's she'll be on chemotherapy for some time to come. :/

wonzo

Banned
Korra no Densetsu 7

meh. the part with the racing cg cars looked really bad and
the sato dude being in cahoots with amon and the equalizers was pretty predictable.

Sad news time:

From the description, it sounds like what nearly killed my father a few years back. :/ Thank the powers that be for medical science.

If the treatment is anything like my father's she'll be on chemotherapy for some time to come. :/
Damn, that's really awful news. I wish her the best with her recovery.

Ultimadrago

Sad news time:

Just as I was about to watch some Hidamari Sketch.
Here's to hoping for a recovery along with offered condolences for her loved ones.

sonicmj1

Eureka 7 AO 6

Action! Explosions! Villains that would fit better in Fullmetal Alchemist!

This episode was much more fun to watch, despite some really ridiculous plot elements. If this is how they're going to anime, I'll stick around for the ride a little longer.

Really, the concept of any shounen jump title having good pacing is nearly unfathomable.

Having a long overarching plot doesn't always mean bad pacing nor does it mean it's given an unplanned extension for money reasons. It can be planned out and have a well crafted story that uses its length to flesh out a massive world with thought provoking lore and other good stuff. It's just hard as hell to pull off.

DiGiKerot

What comes in that box, after all? Only the four BD volumes?

It's a bonus item with the limited edition of the first volume - you provide your own volumes 2-4, on a month by month basis.

I gather each volume also comes with a CD, and some other assorted tat (booklet, postcards, that kind of thing).

NeonZ

You know, it's rather odd how whenever I see screenshots of minor characters from this show, they all seem relatively competently designed, but then you see the Sengoku characters and they're all uguu abominations from the third level of hell.

It doesn't help that they're often using basically the worst designs available for each character in the original source.

I mean, these two are both female Hideyoshi Toyotomi from the original Sengoku Collection:
ToyotomiHideyoshi_younggirl_01_No8.gif

ToyotomiHideyoshi_advisormaiden_01_No6.gif

The design that's going to appear in the anime next week should be obvious... And that's not even getting into the male versions which have been completely excluded from the anime.

ToyotomiHideyoshi_normal_01_No7.gif

(This is the male counterpart to the one that's going be used in the anime)
ToyotomiHideyoshi_advisor_01_No5.gif

(This is the counterpart to that older one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom