• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fine, if it makes you watch Manyuu I will.
A series trade is actually how I got into watching K-ON! in the first place.

Time to sign a pact in blood, then.

The series that I want you to watch in exchange for my watching Manyuu Hikenchou is:

BRAVE 10

Same time period with tons of fanservice, so it's a perfectly equivalent trade!

Dresden

Time to sign a pact in blood, then.

The series that I want you to watch in exchange for my watching Manyuu Hikenchou is:

BRAVE 10

Same time period with tons of fanservice, so it's a perfectly equivalent trade!

Dude . . .

I mean, Manyuu probably has some humor to it at least.

wonzo

Banned
ISML Day 7, let's begin.

Lots of interesting matches today, including a creative exhibition match.
isml7.jpg

i still don't get the point of this show ... i've watched all episode and the OP/ED are "ok" nothing ground breaking , the fights are sub par and the chemistry laughable to the least .... After 12 episodes i don't get the point of this show ...

Saizo !! Saizo !! Play with me !!
Saizo fight to the death with me !!!
Saizo !!!

did they just cut the budget or something ??

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Tatami Galaxy 1

That was entertaining.

The premise is bizarre and compelling enough, and the protagonists seem to be of the interesting kind. They strike me as characters who act in seemingly random ways. I like those. Unexpected turns of events are cool. Meanwhile... The visuals didn't really impress me, though. Most of the time they just seemed lazy, and not "stylized" in a good way. They did get them right in some scenes, though, like the one with the girl's reaction to the moth.

I wasn't expecting an Asian Kung-Fu Generation OP, so that was cool.

But the ED... Wooooooooooooow.

i still don't get the point of this show ... i've watched all episode and the OP/ED are "ok" nothing ground breaking , the fights are sub par and the chemistry laughable to the least .... After 12 episodes i don't get the point of this show ...

Saizo !!!

It felt like a huge prequel, though I guess I ended up finding some charm in it at the end of the day, nothing amazing. If they only continue it.

Dude . . .

I mean, Manyuu probably has some humor to it at least.

Saizo !!!

...The tits better be worth it.

For your info, Nyaruko-san OP full is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tidHmg12HWk

(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!

Meanwhile I'll wait for the superior song which would Nyaruko-san's ED.

Pretty good! It'd be nice to know the full translation though...

Sako's a sadistic showboat. What more can you expect? She draws things out for maximum suffering and humiliation.
She pulled a batman gambit thinking Elle would just give up, but she didn't, and that's ultimately why she lost, her own hubris. 16 had to humble herself to win and let Elle save her, and that's ultimately why she won.

What is with you guys and the idea that the good guys losing is "realistic"? This episode, everyone was internally consistent. Sure, the Elle suffering was better done in the manga this episode, but the ideas were still brought across.
I agree, it's not more "realistic" to have the good guys lose. And I thought Sako's actions were somewhat believable...
she didn't think Elle could possibly be a threat, so she did the ultimate insult by not even bothering to shoot her.

That's actually a reference to the fact that the Galil AR platform has a built in wire-cutter that can double as a bottle opener.
Huh, they really do do their homework.

It's bad writing and almost inconsistent with the Sako of episode 5.
She could have inflicted five times as much psychological pain by just shooting L right there and letting her wallow in defeat knowing there was no other outcome.
No, I think not shooting her probably was causing more mental pain... that is, until Elle thought of a way to get back at Sako.

Upotte!! 06

It's that time of week again~ Man, only four more episodes left. I hope there's going to be a second season... This episode I think they ran out of some budget when they realized "Oh shit, there's going to be a whole 'nother arc after this one!" It's too bad really, because there were some points where solid animation would have done wonders to the look at feel of the climactic battle. Oh well I guess, it was still good. Characters got some good development, even if they had to spell 16's out for everyone to see in the campiest, 80s action movie way possible,
The yuri is strong in this one
. and SIG is slowly descending into the character I know and love. :D

I can't wait until the AK arc~!
http://i.imgur.com/6at6I.gif
It's only ten episodes? That's too bad, I guess... but yeah, it was a good episode all around.

Upotte!! 6

Eru is a scrub like usual. Delicious tears, etc., etc.

M16's
speech about her past struggles
was ugh. Eye-roll worthy.

Oh well,
SIG
being back is all that mattered.

Also FNC gets
some elf lovin'

So everyone likes
Funco
? Bad taste school has bad taste.

TL;Dr: Those who watched for Episode 5 can safely leave the premises. You will be notified when things get "not-boring-as-hell" again.
Don't worry, those people; ep. 6 was most assuredly not at all boring.

What I hated about the newest Upotte episode is that
Sako could have easily won the entire thing but she didn't cause of dumb writing
Sako hah...
It's Sig that would have easily won had she participated, I think...

As for Sako, M16 would have come up with a different way to win, I'm sure. The villain was NOT going to win.

It's like K-ON! but with animals instead of cute girls.

This is really not at all true, but if it gets someone to watch the show, whatever...

Oh you.

Also it's not quite back peddling. :p However, I am heavily biased against the big shounen shows. If you can't tell your story in under a hundred episodes, give up.

This is a pretty extreme viewpoint. Some stories simply work better told over a longer amount of time, and can't be told in a short form. If we didn't have any series which ran over a hundred episodes, there would be a wealth of stories that simply couldn't be told in the scope they need.

Some stories are more suited to being a five page short story, and some are better suited to be a 300 episode TV show. There's no need to try and fit a round peg into a square hole.

I hope you didn't vote for Victorique. Because if you did....

http://i.imgur.com/AjXi1.gif

Anyway, no difficult choices for me, but a fair amount of abstains:
Victorique's fine, the show just didn't continue after ep. 16. :)

Insanity is all AKB0048 has going for it. Take that away and you're left with...well something completely awful.
This is just not true. I haven't watched ep. 4 yet, but the first three were pretty impressively good, and not just for their crazy factor...

Is Manyuu Hikenchou absurd enough to be worth watching even if you're kind of repulsed by cow tits?

Hmm... not sure. Maybe. Try it out, perhaps... they are a pretty big element of the show.

Milky Holmes fans rejoice; you're getting a one-shot TV special later this summer.

Good news! Hopefully it's better than the first season's OVA followup was, though... that was one of the least good episodes of the first season.

Damnit. ABF is going to make a 60 image impressions post about it. :/
It would have to be pretty amazing go get 60 screenshots, even S2 ep. 11 didn't have that many... but anyway, given that as I said above the first season's OVA was only average, my expectations aren't incredibly high. Hopefully it's good, at least.

Did you see the number of people who turned up for that live event, though?

Whilst the anime disks may not have been shifting, that franchise is surely making money somewhere...
Good news there then, I guess...

If it saves me the trouble of having to watch it . . .

. . . more power to him.
That would be unfortunate, one of the points of doing a positive review like that is to encourage people to watch the thing themselves. And yes, both seasons of Milky Holmes are quite recommended.

Alright, so I've tried Kids on the Slope (love it, watching), Space Bros. (not as in love, but still keeping up), Eureka Seven (nope), Saint S (nope), Zetman (okay, I guess I'll stay on board), Jormungand (eeeh, I think I fell asleep in episode 2) ...

... this season seems really lackluster to me, GAF. Am I missing this spring's breakout show?
How about trying some of the many other entertaining to good shows this season? Nyaruani, Upotte, Saki Achiga-hen, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, Magical Girlfriend X, Polar Bear Cafe, Natsuiro Kiseki, etc... all of those are worth checking out, I think!

survivor

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

Is there anyone like Ringo here? She was my favourite character from Penguindrum

They sure are doing a good job of making me hate Saionji. That asshole slapping Anthy around

Thoraxes

Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

Is there anyone like Ringo here? She was my favourite character from Penguindrum

They sure are doing a good job of making me hate Saionji. That asshole slapping Anthy around

I will enjoy watching you lose your purity over the course of this.

Also to answer your question, kind of, but no.

Cwarrior

Hunter x hunter 22

I don't remember when was the last time I saw a 2d train in a new anime

no CG to be found here, it has 2d buses,2d boats and 2d blimps, it's nice to watch an anime without being assaulted by CG.

Nice to have some more tracks added to the sound track now we got some guitar riff track going on.

Ultimadrago

A light K-On!GAF gang invasion could only lead to this.

Taking down a prominent member with a pair of ninja mammary glands.

Why, Chet?

What do you want from us?

Money? Power?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R 61
AFvXE.jpg

Meet Usagi MK. II

New villains! New characters! The status quo, shattered! This was one of the best episodes of R so far!

HNXEw.jpg

0Bd63.jpg

There's 3/4 more depending on how you count, but since Duckroll doesn't like image spam, I'll just post these two, the main baddy (redhead) and this episode's antagonist.
Of particular note is the moon symbol on their foreheads, which coincidentally (or rather, deliberately, I'm sure) is the same as Usagi's and Usagi MK. II's, only upside down.

Firstly, the villains are introduced right off the bat.
They give some little speech about finding the Silver Crystal and destroying a Crystal Tokyo, summon a black rider, and then turn on their cloaking device.

Usagi and Mamoru are happily enjoying each other that fine day, when suddenly a girl falls from the sky and lands on Mamoru! When did Sailor Moon turn into the average magical girlfriend harem show? That was bad enough, but then MK. II claims the rights to Usagi's trademark hairstyle.

zgKDe.jpg

She also wants the Silver Crystal, but Usagi of course doesn't want her to get her hands on it. So, MK. II tries a different route: the old
"lets go and doctor all the family photos and rewrite their memories so they think I'm Usagi MK. I's cousin!". And it worked flawlessly too!

uRBw2.jpg

Luna disapproves of all these shenanigans

Usagi next tries Rei's psychic powers, but they fail to discover anything wrong. At the same time,
MK. II tries putting all the Sailors to sleep, so she can search their bodies for the crystal. It almost works, but somehow Usagi failed to drink the potioned tea, and so she is able to catch MK. II and dish out some good ol' fashioned corporal punishment. Usagi will make a fine mother some day.

pmHe1.jpg

Notice the same moon symbol on MK. II's head that Usagi has

The Youma Cardian err... Droid? shows up and starts wrecking havoc. But! Finally... after 13 episodes...

The return of the original Tuxedo Mask!

The moment he touches MK. II, he experiences a vision of what can only be Crystal Tokyo:

And after Usagi decides to take care of MK. II properly now,

Fin~

The biggest thing in this episode was of course MK. II. She's pretty much guaranteed to shake up the rest of the cast a good deal, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens! Also, Usagi's magic was no longer able to take care of the baddy in one hit: these villains look a little more permanent than the Youmas or Cardians. Hopefully, they can get more character too.

jman2050

For your info, Nyaruko-san OP full is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tidHmg12HWk

(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!

Meanwhile I'll wait for the superior song which would Nyaruko-san's ED.

This is every bit as glorious and addictive as I had hoped.

Grr another attack on the 1%!!

K-On fans suffer enough for generating 80% of the good taste and opinion in animegaf.

It's cute you actually believe this!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
i told you!

There's suffering for Chet in the bargain, though! I would never do this without some kind of incentive.

I'm sorry, but it has to be done.

Aren't you supposed to be watching something?

Are you watching the censored or uncensored version?

I actually thought it was more hilarious censored than it was uncensored.

Also, now you know why it's the first show I recommend to newbies.

Uncensored. It's pretty telling that 95% of the good animation in the show is devoted to accurately depicting nipples from different angles and levels of deformation! I'm perversely impressed.

Saint Seiya Omega 8
tumblr_m4aognrE7A1ruq0c9o1_500.jpg

Pretty intense episode. I predicted one of the twists but
didnt see that headmaster was a gold saint nor that this fake athena was that powerful. Pretty emotional with what was happening for Kouga and his search for Miss Saori, kind of got me sad. Yuna and Ryuho are so worthless side characters, why didnt they go to check on Kouga, Souma is excused for being incapacitated but still

Kouga must persever.

survivor

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena 2

Oh I see, so this is a battle shounen anime?
Very cool powerup at the end to beat Saionji again

Reusing the music and same animations was kinda annoying.

NewFresh

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279077/board/thread/199300670

Hello,

I am currently involved with an action/adventure game based on FLCL (Fooly Cooly) anime for the Wii U. A separate version of the game is being developed by a different team for the 3DS. We started development on both versions of the game in October.

The game will be published by Namco Bandai. Developing for the Wii U has been very painless, and the console's GPU and CPU have made development a very smooth process to create jaw dropping next gen graphics with unbelievable ease. The game's engine was designed to run cel shaded graphics flawlessly at 60 frames per second to imitate the art style and fluid animation of the show.

We have been actively working with most of the old cast of voice actors from the original Japanese show as well as the English dub to return for this game.

Yoji Enokido, who wrote the TV series, is writing a completely brand new story for this video game. The game will retain all of the great humor that the tv series and manga were known for. The Pillows reprise their role in providing the soundtrack for the game just like they did for the television series. You can expect both new and old songs.

The game works as an official sequel to the mini series. The video game takes place one year after the events of the tv show, and it will feature real anime cut scenes animated by Gainax.

Throughout the game, you can switch between Haruko Haruhara and Naota Nandaba. Haruko can smash enemies with her electric guitar and drive a vespa scooter through the city. Naota can fight off enemies with a baseball bat and rides a bicycle.

The game is suppose to remain secret, and I'm not suppose to tell anyone about this game. But I felt the need to open the can of worms since many FLCL (Fooly Cooly) fans here have been dieing for a true sequel to FLCL for many years.

This game will be your official sequel.

An announcement about the game should be made real soon with official screenshots and a trailer released.

Thank you.

AHAHAHAHA

Revolutionary Girl Utena 2

Oh I see, so this is a battle shounen anime?
Very cool powerup at the end to beat Saionji again

Reusing the music and same animations was kinda annoying.
Oh boy.
This is a pretty extreme viewpoint. Some stories simply work better told over a longer amount of time, and can't be told in a short form. If we didn't have any series which ran over a hundred episodes, there would be a wealth of stories that simply couldn't be told in the scope they need.

Some stories are more suited to being a five page short story, and some are better suited to be a 300 episode TV show. There's no need to try and fit a round peg into a square hole.
I wasn't being completely serious. Do you honestly think the big shounen shows are worth their episode counts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom