• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

It's stated at the beginning of the show that the Alliance and the Empire have been at war for centuries. Was the Empire positioning at Iserlohn that vital that it basically staved off all direct confrontation between both nations? How long did they control the base anyway?

It's hard to say but, because of the very fact that the war has gone for as long as it has demonstrates that there haven't been too many 'major' loses for either side that would tip the scale one way or the other. Of course, Phezzan helps to ensure that that remains the case.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Don't forget Pandora.
Spoilers for Kid Icarus Uprising:
I don't think Amazon Pandora was designed with the purpose of titillating the audience. Her resurrection was played for laughs, principally through the irritation of the other female goddesses.
It's hard to say but, because of the very fact that the war has gone for as long as it has demonstrates that there haven't been too many 'major' loses for either side that would tip the scale one way or the other. Of course, Phezzan helps to ensure that that remains the case.
So the war up to this point is a phony too? Interesting.
Meh, it never meant anything vulgar.
Oh, I'm just taking a cheap jab at you through the concept of the waifu when taken at its most depraved connotations.

Jex

So the war up to this point is a phony too? Interesting.

Well, I don't know, but you'd assume that if one side had gone 'all in' by now there'd have been a winner and a loser. At least for the Free Planets Alliance, going to war seems to be a very politicised action taken place at the behest of politicians, rather than soldiers. It's more about scoring points with the constituents back home than actually invading the Empire.

Spoilers for Kid Icarus Uprising:
I don't think Amazon Pandora was designed with the purpose of titillating the audience. Her resurrection was played for laughs, principally through the irritation of the other female goddesses.

She wears a striperific get up and flaunts her large talents. Her entrance scene is nothing but fan service.
And everything in KIU is played for laughs. They cracking jokes all the way to the end
and after the credits

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well, I don't know, but you'd assume that if one side had gone 'all in' by now there'd have been a winner and a loser. At least for the Free Planets Alliance, going to war seems to be a very politicised action taken place at the behest of politicians, rather than soldiers. It's more about scoring points with the constituents back home than actually invading the Empire.
Empires are obviously better. I mean, at least they are honest about their motivations!
She wears a striperific get up and flaunts her large talents. Her entrance scene is nothing but fan service.
And everything in KIU is played for laughs. They cracking jokes all the way to the end
and after the credits
What I meant to say is that it had purpose beyond simple fanservice. Also not all the game was jokes and lulz:
Scorched Wings :(
Kid Icarus Uprising is a crazy fucking game and it needs a batshit crazy animu to go with it.
We fans deserve it.
With the sales, why not?
Maybe that's the only thing he felt was worth saying about the film!
Just like your opinions on Sin and Punishment 2!
By Shaft, obviously, if the reactions to the Nintendo Video shorts are anything to go by.
Sure, if you want them to run out of budget after the first episode so the rest of the show looks like shit.

At least we would get a gorgeous OP.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
duckroll, leader of Hot Springs Watch 2012!

Does this mean duckroll looks like this?

fiYmz.jpg

/British joke

Iblard Time

My god. That was fuckin beautiful. A full half hour of constant eye orgasms. This is Flower: The Anime. No plot, just whimsical locales with such incredibly well-done subtle motions that calling this a moving painting wouldn't be an understatement.

I want to post like 80 images, but I'll settle for one. I would say it's among my favorite shots, but man there were so damn many that I don't think I could even say that.

I'm kind of sad this amazingly vibrant world will never have a story of its own. It's just so goddamn pretty. I seriously thought the water was real in a lot of shots. Man...

This series must end with Mahiro getting trolled in the worst way imaginable.
For sure.

Mahiro will fork Nyaruko one time too many, finally shattering Nyaruko's hopes and dreams. Finished with suffering and filled with spite, Nyaruko decides that humanity can all just die. She goes full Outer God mode and crushes humanity's collective sanity beneath the weight of its own bitterness and unhappiness so that they may suffer as she has.

Then some psychological mumbojumbo happens involving Nyaruko making uncomfortable sexual contact with Azathoth.

Nyaruko and Mahiro wake up on a beach. Mahiro is pregnant. Roll credits.

His
mom and Nyaruko should get together, while Hastur becomes a woman... Only to start going out with Kuuko. He'll be left with Shantak-kun.

Either of those would be good... and yeah, Mahiro definitely deserves it. Unfortunately, I'm not expecting anything like that to happen, but it should!

there you go:

http://i.imgur.com/UqbkI.png

GAF-tan's design really grew on me during this :) Excuse the scribbly look, but I just had to finish this up -.-
Why are there two of them?

Then do so. I don't see why anyone needs to rag on another's recommendations.
"Recommendations" like that aren't real recommendations, they're trolls. I don't like that stuff either.

The fella watched Angel Beats and enjoyed it. Pretty sure that level of tolerance can handle stuff like School days ;)
Most certainly not. I love Angel Beats of course, it's fantastic, but School Days is awful, unwatchable trash not worth a first thought about watching in full. Watch it on Wikipedia and maybe watch the ending or something, but don't watch the series.

I think the closest analogue would be Star Trek, where the three main series crossed over at times for weird fan-service. So you had Spock on TNG in order to pimp Star Trek 6, and then the whole Worf on DS9 thing with the Defiant in First Contact.
Yeah, it is a lot like that, I agree.

It'd be interesting if nuGonzo or whomever is doing this adaptation actually thought about the larger implications to the anime franchise.
I was just saying, given that they're basing it off of the manga scripts, how much adaptation to that do you think they can make? They're not making an original work here.

I've just watched Angel Beats! which is the first anime I've seen bar a few shows as a child and I really, really enjoyed it.

What other anime (movies or series) would you recommend on either Netflix Instant or Hulu?

Thanks.
I don't know what's on Netflix or Hulu, but definitely check out some more Key animes if they are there, like Kanon, Air, and Clannad... also ABe stuff, if it's there (probably isn't :( ) -- Lain, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze if you really want to be depressed...

There are plenty of words that can be used to describe School Days but tripe sure as hell isn't one of them. You might be confusing it with Haiyore! Nyaruko-san!
You have those backwards, I think.

cajunator

Banned
Iblard Time

My god. That was fuckin beautiful. A full half hour of constant eye orgasms. This is Flower: The Anime. No plot, just whimsical locales with such incredibly well-done subtle motions that calling this a moving painting wouldn't be an understatement.

I want to post like 80 images, but I'll settle for one. I would say it's among my favorite shots, but man there were so damn many that I don't think I could even say that.

I'm kind of sad this amazingly vibrant world will never have a story of its own. It's just so goddamn pretty. I seriously thought the water was real in a lot of shots. Man...

What is Iblard?

A fictional context used by Naoshi Inoue to convey his highly-expressionist/surrealist landscapes and utopian vision to the art-going public. Like Kenji Miyazawa's Ihatov, essentially, but more sensual and in-your-face with the extraordinary LOD and color of Inoue's pieces.

The movie looks like fun.

Nyaruko Latest

Fun enough eps I guess. You kids never had one of those crazy obsessive/abusive girlfriends?

You have to drop off the radar and move to a different state or country. Quite a hassle. Probably worse if the g/f is some alien octopus ;P

Soma

Taking a quick break from this season's shows and decided to watch something I've had on my backlog for years:

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

y93wG.gif

That was definitely something.

Bit of a slow burn this film was. Maybe a little more than I would've liked but I still liked this a lot. The overlying Red Riding Hood theme was interesting and the story was pretty solid. I don't think it was as engaging until the last third of the film where the plot started moving in a way that I wasn't really anticipating. With the theme in mind, it really made sense looking back on it. The ending was... pretty damn heavy despite (somewhat) anticipating what was going to happen. Not gonna lie, years ago I wanted to watch this simply because of the "cool Killzone looking armor" and I can't say for sure if I would've appreciated this as much back then.

It's a slow film but the plot is most definitely well constructed and the themes presented were done in a very interesting way.

Visually, this was really solid. The character designs were decent but the background details were awesome. The animation itself was pretty flawless with the Wolf dream sequence being pretty memorable and unsettling. The alternate history setting was a nifty backdrop and fit the moody atmosphere very nice. There were some really nice musical pieces here as well.

So yeah. Good film but not sure if I have enough patience for a second watch anytime soon.

wonzo

Banned
You have those backwards, I think.
nah

A fictional context used by Naoshi Inoue to convey his highly-expressionist/surrealist landscapes and utopian vision to the art-going public. Like Kenji Miyazawa's Ihatov, essentially, but more sensual and in-your-face with the extraordinary LOD and color of Inoue's pieces.

The movie looks like fun.
The movie's basically a music video of Naohisa Inoue's paintings with subtle animation added. It's pretty neat!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was just saying, given that they're basing it off of the manga scripts, how much adaptation to that do you think they can make? They're not making an original work here.

Well, for instance, how they end the series. It could be "To be continued in... Saki: Deep Space Nine" or it could just end without any mention of a potential new series.

Branduil

Hyouka 5

ibozYTvxDCBTO2.jpg

Being a rabbit is suffering.

Incredible episode. It's pretty impressive how this show has gotten better each time. The way they illustrated
the librarian's
flashback was very creative, I thought it worked extremely well as a visualization of how memory works. It's almost impossible not to feel sorry for
Eru's poor uncle. It doesn't seem like he ever got over what happened.

With all our discussion about framing recently, it was impossible not to notice all the different ways KyoAni frames multiple characters in interesting and dynamic ways:

Also, the character development for Houtarou was nice, and it was really interesting how they used the visuals to develop it. For instance, seeing
him tap his foot with nervous energy when he figures out the meaning of the title.
And the opening scene had some really gorgeous, symbolic background art:

KyoAni's art direction has become really, really good. I though Nichijou was a nearly flawless example of taking a unique style and making it as aesthetically pleasing as possible, and Hyouka continues that trend. In particular, I think the use of impressionistic lighting is about as good as I've ever seen in TV anime. This is apparently Shuuhei Okude's first time working as an art director, but he did background art for KyoAni's three previous works, so I imagine he was responsible for a lot of the great art in those as well. In any case it seems that KyoAni is doing a good job of developing its own talent.

Articalys

Weekly DVD/CD Sales for May 14-20

Blu-ray
**, 4,900 **4,900 Taketatsu Ayana Image Blu-ray
*1, 3,090 **3,090 Shinryaku!? Ika Musume vol.6
*2, 1,645 **1,645 Ben-To vol.6
*3, *,486 **6,838 Mouretsu Pirates vol.3 Limited Edition
*4, *,450 *54,389 Nisemonogatari vol.1 Limited Edition
*5, *,343 **2,846 Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! vol.3
*6, *,266 119,050 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.4
*7, *,247 *21,195 Persona 4 The Animation vol.6 Limited Edition
*8, *,196 **6,688 Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA

DVD
**, 1,181 *,**1,181 Taketatsu Ayana Image Blu-ray
*1, *,929 *,***,929 Cardfight!! Vanguard vol.10
*2, *,711 1,136,876 My Neighbor Totoro
*3, *,626 *,*17,408 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 5 - Blood Prison Limited Edition
*4, *,367 *,**3,061 One Piece 14th Season vol.8
*5, *,347 *,651,454 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
*6, *,276 *,481,056 Kiki's Delivery Service
*7, *,254 *,751,079 Castle in the Sky
*8, *,253 *,**4,109 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 5 - Blood Prison Standard Edition
*9, *,236 *,***,236 Ben-To vol.6
10, *,222 2,371,385 Spirited Away
11, *,217 *,**3,647 Sore Ike! Anpanman Ongakukan
12, *,215 *,*44,292 Usavich IV

Single CD
*6, 20,845 *20,845 Mobile Suit Gundam AGE "REAL"
12, 11,090 *11,909 Tsuritama "Tsurezure Monochrome"
13, *9,913 **9,913 Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A "Miracle Rush"
17, *9,071 **9,071 Jewelpet Kira Deco! "Zutto Zutto Tomodachi"
18, *9,020 **9,020 New Prince of Tennis "Ore-sama no Bigi ni Yoina"
20, *5,512 *22,502 Accel World "Chase the world"
24, *4,160 **4,160 Suzumura Kenichi "messenger"
29, *3,213 *55,173 Detective Conan Movie 16: The Eleventh Striker "Haruuta"
34, *2,079 *41,885 Fate/Zero 2nd Season "to the beginning"
35, *1,930 *29,131 Sakamichi no Apollon "Sakamichi no Melody"
38, *1,681 *14,649 Fate/Zero 2nd Season "Sora wa Takaku Kaze wa Utau"
41, *1,499 **1,499 Gon "Kuchibue Pyu Pyu"
42, *1,494 170,275 Doraemon: Nobita and the Miracle Island - Animal Adventure "Ikiteru Ikiteku"
43, *1,488 **1,488 Naruto: Shippuuden "Cascade"
46, *1,317 **6,856 Hyouka "Yasashisa no Riyu"

wonzo

Banned
Hyouka 5

There's really nothing else to say about this that hasn't already been said. This show just keeps on getting better with each and every episode.
The true meaning behind the name Hyouka and the imagery of the rabbits after it was absolutely genius.
I'm looking forward to what direction the show'll be going in considering this mystery has finally been laid to rest.

duckroll

Single CD
34, *2,079 *41,885 Fate/Zero 2nd Season "to the beginning"
38, *1,681 *14,649 Fate/Zero 2nd Season "Sora wa Takaku Kaze wa Utau"

I guess it's pretty interesting to see the huge gulf in sales here. Even though both songs are associated with the same show, and composed and written by the same person, the popularity of the actual vocal unit makes a huge difference.

Marathoned maji de watashi ni koi shinasai!

It had a bunch of interesting elements that kinda just floated around. The main lead was a pretty interesting lead for the harem genre. The fights were also surprisingly well choreographed where it probably could have been half assed. Some of the nudity just seems a bit like... idk, slapped in for bluray sales? Just topless cuz~

The nipples are decently drawn though (9/10!).

I just wish the show didn't have the 'serious stuff', because they kinda didn't be serious about it. You either go serious, or don't, don't go half way.

It's worth a watch for anyone that wants a relatively inoffensive raunchy harem fighter thing.

cajunator

Banned
I guess it's pretty interesting to see the huge gulf in sales here. Even though both songs are associated with the same show, and composed and written by the same person, the popularity of the actual vocal unit makes a huge difference.

To the Beginning is a fucking awesome song. I listen to it a lot. I can see why its more popular.

duckroll

Since /XX/ was wondering the other day about the likelihood of a second series of Anime Bunko OVAs, I decided to check to see how the first 3 OVAs sold. The result is pretty devastating. Out of the 3, the only one which ever charted was Naoko-san, which sold 844 copies of the blu-ray. Neither of the other two charted anywhere ever, so we can safely assume they sold less than that.

That's really mega-bomba. If I were Aniplex, I would not be funding anymore of that.
Instead I will be funding a Ufotable remake of Fate/Stay Night written by Gen Urobuchi. :p

Defuser

Blu-ray

DVD
Those otaku sure love Ayana Taketatsu. Or are they just creepy?

Single CD
*6, 20,845 *20,845 Mobile Suit Gundam AGE "REAL"
12, 11,090 *11,909 Tsuritama "Tsurezure Monochrome"
Glad to see Tsurezure Monochrome doing well. But Gundam AGE? I thought nobody is watching that show!!

wonzo

Banned

Blu-ray

DVD
i wonder what the Manabi Line (approx 3.283 frt) equivalent for seiyuu promo's would be

DVD

I didn't think Cardfight!! vanguard was that popular, or at least has a really quiet fanbase. Go One Piece and Blood Prison (which has cool fanarts).

survivor

Banned
Kuroko's Basketball 5

Pointless episode. There really was no need for the food segment or that little game at the end. Not to mention the Kise and Kuroko talk was painfully cliched and boring.

Kuroko's Basketball 6

I find it funny how they mock the other team for relying on the foreigner when their strategy is literally just relying on 2 players. I guess it's not as bad as relying on only 1 player, but it's still pot calling the kettle black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom