• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
It certainly seems like publishers are increasingly trying to push the limits of what they can charge. 2 episodes per volume seems increasingly common. This season we also have Sengoku Collection at 12 volumes for 7350 yen each - yes, you have to pay 88,200 yen for the privilege of owning all of Sengoku Collection. I recall the case of Nichijou as well, 13 volumes at 7980 yen each. I wonder how far this will go before it reaches the breaking point.

Sengoku Collection is offering items for the game with the BDs right? I wonder if that will have a noticeable effect on the sales.

duckroll

Fate franchise art is way too triangular and amateurish looking. That does look better.

The art? It's better than most of Takeuchi's work, sure. The design? It's so debatable whether it is actually better than some Fate characters that saying it is a hundred times better than any character is just lulz.

Sengoku Collection is offering items for the game with the BDs right? I wonder if that will have a noticeable effect on the sales.

We know they're offering a game card for people who purchase the first and second volume of either the DVDs or BDs, but it's uncertain if similar cards will be offered for the volumes beyond that. The show's been steadily falling since the initial spike in preorders following the announcement, so while it's definitely caused some increase in sales I don't think we're looking at a breakout hit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The art? It's better than most of Takeuchi's work, sure. The design? It's so debatable whether it is actually better than some Fate characters that saying it is a hundred times better than any character is just lulz.
Nothing wrong with the design.

Go_Ly_Dow

y35wT.png

Fantastic avatar. Such fine art

*Bravo*

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think Tsuritama takes the cake for most overpriced Japanese disc release this season. 6,825yen per volume, 6 volumes in total (2 episodes per volume). That's 40,950yen for the complete set of 12 episode on blu-ray. Lol.

I'll say it again. 40,950yen to own all of Tsuritama on blu-ray. 12 episodes. Fate/Zero BD boxes are 39,900yen and 35,700yen respectively. Aniplex always overprices their 1-cour shows, and they tend to bomb as a result. Madoka was really a fluke.

Insanity.

7Th

Nothing wrong with Waver's design either. That's my point.

I worded it wrong; the STYLE and overall draftsmanship is just plain better. Whenever they adapt Takeuchi's designs, they always keep the same overall type of triangular look, even if F/Z. If Ufotable had completely discarded Takeuchi's idiosyncrasies and just keep the rough design, F/Z would be a prettier show for sure.

duckroll

I worded it wrong; the STYLE and overall draftsmanship is just plain better. Whenever they adapt Takeuchi's designs, they always keep the same overall type of triangular look, even if F/Z. If Ufotable had completely discarded Takeuchi's idiosyncrasies and just keep the rough design, F/Z would be a prettier show for sure.

I think style is subjective though. You'll get no argument from me that Takeuchi is a shitty draftsman thoiugh. The main problem with Takeuchi's style is that he designs a wide range of different types of characters with it even though it really only works on a specific character type imo.

If you look at his Rin, Waver, Rider, and Kerrytugu designs you can probably see what I'm talking about. There's a sort of personality that his style had which lends well to characters who are more expressive and childish in their facial forms.

When the same art style is applied to more serious or stoic characters, it tends to just look cheap. It would be better if Type-Moon mixed stuff up for a future project and has Takeuchi design the characters who fit his style, while other designs take on other sorts of character.

/XX/

To be synergistic, Nasu would have to actually write more of it. Even he speaks of it like it's some far off dream. Mahoyo 1 took 5 years, he's supposedly going to go back to DDD after Mahoyo 2 +3, Fate/Extra CCC, and the Tsukihime remake is done. George Martin might finish ASOIAF before that happens.
Are you saying this because you think there isn't enough material to adapt in those two first volumes? If so, I understand... I was talking hypothetically about typical commercial practices as I don't know much about that work.

cajunator

Banned
Sometimes, shaming is in order. So for the clarification of everyone who isn't aware, this is the piece of artwork which 7th claims is "a hundred of times better than anything or anyone from the entire Fate franchise":

5AGvt.jpg

*laughs*

Well that art looks ok to me. I think its about on par with the Fate Zero stuff.

Define affordable.

...oh. You crazy!

Well, I mean that it isn't priced as high as Fate Zero boxset, which is a bit above affordable.
By comparison.

survivor

Banned
Sengoku Collection 6

Incredibly boring and predicable episode. The plot did nothing and wasn't as interesting as the previous ones
who knew time travel can be so boring
and the main character of this episode sucked.

Cwarrior

Sometimes, shaming is in order. So for the clarification of everyone who isn't aware, this is the piece of artwork which 7th claims is "a hundred of times better than anything or anyone from the entire Fate franchise":

http://i.imgur.com/5AGvt.jpg[/IMG

*laughs*[/QUOTE]

where is the undo button when I need it, I think both look bad but I would much rather fate zero look bad in it's own way then look like every other bad art.

Some of the characters in fate zero look fine like rider,2d berserker then you get characters like saber,white hair girl,assassin mother woman and kill it with fire stuff like rin.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure 16:

DRHsw.gif

Finally, a proper Reika episode. I'm kind of surprised at
how easily she was corrupted by her friends' academic apathy
even if
it didn't last very long
, hah. Her home life looks kind of miserable. She's like Istuki from Heartcatch without the judo.

Akanbe battle was pretty great this week, but that's because it was 100% conceptually ripped from the Negatone battle in Suite Precure 30! (and potentially further series previous)

Next week looks freaking amazing.
Keep playing up those Osaka stereotypes for Sunny if we get more amazing episodes! Ooki ni, Toei

Naruto SD 08
2acEd.gif

Pretty good episode. This scene got a good laugh out of me. It is still an amusing show, with suddenly giant mechas and other random things. Next week looks good since Hinata is the character of focus.

cajunator

Banned
Smile Precure 16:

DRHsw.gif

Finally, a proper Reika episode. I'm kind of surprised at
how easily she was corrupted by her friends' academic apathy
even if
it didn't last very long
, hah. Her home life looks kind of miserable. She's like Istuki from Heartcatch without the judo.

Akanbe battle was pretty great this week, but that's because it was 100% conceptually ripped from the Negatone battle in Suite Precure 30! (and potentially further series previous)

Next week looks freaking amazing.
Keep playing up those Osaka stereotypes for Sunny if we get more amazing episodes! Ooki ni, Toei

Please tell me the monsters are looking better. That one doesn't look that bad. The Akanbe's look really stupid in general.
N/m that was suite. Oh well.

Naruto SD 08
Pretty good episode. This scene got a good laugh out of me. It is still an amusing show, with suddenly giant mechas and other random things. Next week looks good since Hinata is the character of focus.

Oh shit, looks like I'll be picking this up again if it's adapting the chapter I think it is.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Please tell me the monsters are looking better. That one doesn't look that bad. The Akanbe's look really stupid in general.

You might be mistaking the Suite monster for the Smile monster. This week's monster was just a book with the usual Akanbe face, hahah.

jman2050

*laughs*

oh 7th, if only you were still here all the time to partake in the shame.

Incidentally that image is just as silly as any other average Fate design.

Jex

Yeah, they're pretty indefensible. Just for reference, here's a better shot of this week's enemy:

At least it's satisfying to see their ugly faces get smashed in each week.
That looks suspiciously similar to every other monster design, just with a different middle section. Talk about lazy!

survivor

Banned
Gokujo 1-3

So this is a 5 minutes perverted comedy anime about bunch of high school girls. Sounds a lot like the filthy manga I read. It looks ugly but on the plus side it did one thing right: it's a 5 minutes comedy anime. Nichijou and Nichibros should learn from it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You might be mistaking the Suite monster for the Smile monster. This week's monster was just a book with the usual Akanbe face, hahah.

I like the suite monster designs, though I do agree that they don't really mesh well with the rest of the show.

This is one of those times where I'll read a sentence three times and have no understanding of the content.

Prisma Ilya is a Magical Girl Fate/* spinoff.

Jex

I have just convinced my brother to watch School Days, though he does not seem to appreciate its depth since he only watched the last episode. There's no reason to watch School Days if a person only watches the
nice boat

Good people don't make other people watch School Days.

Articalys

Oh my god, the second B-side song on the Escape single is a slower ballad song mostly sung in perfect English. I'd forgotten they were a trilingual band; this is so awesome.
Of course the main song is badass as well.

Dresden

You know, in fate/zero,
Sola getting her hand chopped off was a punishment (unintended by Maiya/Kerry of course) for theft as well.

Gokujo 1-3

So this is a 5 minutes perverted comedy anime about bunch of high school girls. Sounds a lot like the filthy manga I read. It looks ugly but on the plus side it did one thing right: it's a 5 minutes comedy anime. Nichijou and Nichibros should learn from it.

You know you could watch at least Nichibros in 5-minute segments, since each skit is so clearly delineated. Speaking practically, I'm sure it was easier for it to get a half-hour slot for 12 weeks than it would have been for it to get a 3-5 minute slot for 72+ weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom