• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Apologies if already linked, but I found this article quite an interesting read. Perhaps not particularly surprising, but cogently stated nonetheless.

Looking forward to reading the second part - I'm not sure if it will have anything particularly revealing to say about moe otaku vs. mecha otaku but it should at least be well written.

NewFresh

Iblard Time

My god. That was fuckin beautiful. A full half hour of constant eye orgasms. This is Flower: The Anime. No plot, just whimsical locales with such incredibly well-done subtle motions that calling this a moving painting wouldn't be an understatement.

I want to post like 80 images, but I'll settle for one. I would say it's among my favorite shots, but man there were so damn many that I don't think I could even say that.

I'm kind of sad this amazingly vibrant world will never have a story of its own. It's just so goddamn pretty. I seriously thought the water was real in a lot of shots. Man...

Wow, that sounds awesome. I need to bump this up my pile of shame.

Ghost girl 6

Wow. some of those 'shaft filters' were pretty rad. Good eps. fanservice... was kinda random at the end though.

Ghost girl 7

Ahhh... so next eps yuuko is getting poweruped up now eh?

smile precure 16

Eww... an eps telling me to study? I didn't sign up for this!

also

i5PwkLMWIDv5p.png

cajunator

Banned
Apologies if already linked, but I found this article quite an interesting read. Perhaps not particularly surprising, but cogently stated nonetheless.

Looking forward to reading the second part - I'm not sure if it will have anything particularly revealing to say about moe otaku vs. mecha otaku but it should at least be well written.

Thanks for the link. This looks like a good read.

Ghost girl 6

Wow. some of those 'shaft filters' were pretty rad. Good eps. fanservice... was kinda random at the end though.

Ghost girl 7

Ahhh... so next eps yuuko is getting poweruped up now eh?

smile precure 16

Eww... an eps telling me to study? I didn't sign up for this!

also

i5PwkLMWIDv5p.png

Yayoi derp? Still cute.

Mecha

A timeline showing the shift in interest would be nice to see. Besides, when talking about moe otaku vs mecha otaku we all know who would "win".

/XX/

Out of the 3, the only one which ever charted was Naoko-san, which sold 844 copies of the blu-ray. Neither of the other two charted anywhere ever, so we can safely assume they sold less than that.
Ouch! That is pretty sad... I'd like to think that many companies with already healthy businesses continue their support to this kind of money-losing projects out of differentiation in their investments or contributions, so I kind of expect Aniplex Inc., to continue trying to impulse ideas like this as long as they keep sustaining themselves in other ways, and the parent company is in good shape too so that certainly helps.

If I were Aniplex, I would not be funding anymore of that.
Instead I will be funding a Ufotable remake of Fate/Stay Night written by Gen Urobuchi. :p
With the success of Fate/Zero I wouldn't be surprised if Aniplex Inc., now goes after a new slice of the Fate/stay night pie, although TYPE-MOON has maintained disseminated the role of various production companies over their properties, so I think we could see many other possibilities on new shows for their franchises.

duckroll

With the success of Fate/Zero I wouldn't be surprised if Aniplex Inc., now goes after a new slice of the Fate/stay night pie, although TYPE-MOON has maintained disseminated the role of various production companies over their properties, so I think we could see many other possibilities on new shows for their franchises.

I think Type-Moon is more or less happy to whore most of their works to the highest bidder regardless of quality. The actual factor here is Aniplex. They can afford to get rights, and they can also afford to front really ambitious adaptations. Going from Garden of Sinners to Fate/Zero was no coincidence, and I'll be surprised if Aniplex doesn't have another major Type-Moon project lined up for Ufotable in the near future...

survivor

Banned
Sengoku Collection 5

Great episode. Well paced and the the villain of this episode was awesome. The design of Bokuden was meh but the other two supporting characters were well done. Wiki doesn't seem to list their names so I wonder if they are supposed to be important or based off anyone famous or just random extras.

So no secret treasures were taken this episode. I don't think Bokuden even wants to go back but she will probably decide to challenge Oda if she was asked to give the treasure.

Also episodes ranking time
5 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 3

cajunator

Banned
I think Type-Moon is more or less happy to whore most of their works to the highest bidder regardless of quality. The actual factor here is Aniplex. They can afford to get rights, and they can also afford to front really ambitious adaptations. Going from Garden of Sinners to Fate/Zero was no coincidence, and I'll be surprised if Aniplex doesn't have another major Type-Moon project lined up for Ufotable in the near future...

What else does Type moon have left that hasn't been adapted into anime?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sengoku Collection 5

Great episode. Well paced and the the villain of this episode was awesome. The design of Bokuden was meh but the other two supporting characters were well done. Wiki doesn't seem to list their names so I wonder if they are supposed to be important or based off anyone famous or just random extras.

So no secret treasures were taken this episode. I don't think Bokuden even wants to go back but she will probably decide to challenge Oda if she was asked to give the treasure.

Also episodes ranking time
5 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 3

Let me fix those rankings: 5>4>1>2>infinity>3

Actually, the story and characters of 3 weren't that much worse than any of the other episodes, it was just the art...

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Actually, the story and characters of 3 weren't that much worse than any of the other episodes, it was just the art...

Episode 3 also (arguably) had the most interesting background art, just.........fuckin' Kanetsugu, man.

survivor

Banned

Oh yeah that was a travesty. I have no idea who thought such a hideous face can be acceptable.

duckroll

Naoko-san from Planet Yuri

I decided to watch another Anime Bunko OVA today. This one is pretty different from Minori Scramble both in tone and in direction. On the surface, it seemed like another wacky action/comedy, but while Minori was a straight up fun and wacky cartoon, Naoko-san is much more of a surrealist dry comedy. It's not so much about direct visual gags or punchlines, but rather a slow burn of constant bizarre nonsensical barrage from a strange character, until either the viewer gives up and quits, or snaps and embraces it.

I didn't really laugh at all for the first half, but early in the second half something just snapped inside me and I was randomly laughing at every other scene. It wasn't because what was happening was actually "funny" in the traditional sense, but because the build up of all the individual insane events just clicked. It probably won't work for everyone, but it's a very interesting adaptation nonetheless. The director certainly has a deep passion for the material, seeing how he didn't just direct and storyboard it, but he also did the character designs and all the key animation for the entire 30 minute piece, including the opening and ending sequences.

The subject matter is kinda adult, so I wouldn't recommend watching this with children, but the nature of those subjects are generally just in the dialogue. There isn't anything here which would qualify as fanservice and there is no sexual or erotic imagery that actually titillates, but the characters (okay it's really just Naoko) constantly talk about subjects which kids probably shouldn't understand. :p

I think the entire show can be summed up like this:

YiA3B.jpg

Erm... errr... okay?

a0t9q.jpg

Yeah, I think so too.

duckroll

They really want to recoup the production costs all right.

I dunno, that's really cheap actually. It's a 13 episode series. Usually that would be at least 4 volumes, going at 6800yen each minimum. The box set is much less than that. I guess people here still aren't familiar with how anime is priced in Japan...

I dunno, that's really cheap actually. It's a 13 episode series. Usually that would be at least 4 volumes, going at 6800yen each minimum. The box set is much less than that. I guess people here still aren't familiar with how anime is priced in Japan...
Yeah, you're right. I forgot how expensive they normally are. :x

/XX/

Yeah, that is true. I can't think of any publisher more prominent and willing to do that than Aniplex Inc., lately.

What else does Type moon have left that hasn't been adapted into anime?
I remember a similar conversation some time ago.

Well, apart from the upcoming Girl's Work (http://www.girlswork-animation.com/), where Aniplex Inc., is involved as well... I don't know, maybe something like DDD: Decoration Disorder Disconnection, perhaps? If they want to promote the next third volume, an adaptation could be a good idea.

It's even cheap for BD boxes. Space Brothers' first BD box is 28350 yen for 13 episodes.

duckroll

I think Tsuritama takes the cake for most overpriced Japanese disc release this season. 6,825yen per volume, 6 volumes in total (2 episodes per volume). That's 40,950yen for the complete set of 12 episode on blu-ray. Lol.

I'll say it again. 40,950yen to own all of Tsuritama on blu-ray. 12 episodes. Fate/Zero BD boxes are 39,900yen and 35,700yen respectively. Aniplex always overprices their 1-cour shows, and they tend to bomb as a result. Madoka was really a fluke.

Kazzy

I'm certainly aware, its just not a practice that I agree with. I just feel for those who go out of their way to import these sets.

Theonik

Still could have been much nicer. I guess it feels like so much more if it's all in one go vs 4 volumes in this case. Especially given how inconsistent the show has been.

7Th

TypeMoon is fine as long as they don't let Takeuchi or anyone trying to copy his style design the characters. That one single drawing of Girls' Work looks a hundred of times better than anything or anyone from the entire Fate franchise.

duckroll

TypeMoon is fine as long as they don't let Takeuchi or anyone trying to copy his style design the characters. That one single drawing of Girls' Work looks a hundred of times better than anything or anyone from the entire Fate franchise.

I dunno. Waver-kun...

Jex

I think Tsuritama takes the cake for most overpriced Japanese disc release this season. 6,825yen per volume, 6 volumes in total (2 episodes per volume). That's 40,950yen for the complete set of 12 episode on blu-ray. Lol.

I'll say it again. 40,950yen to own all of Tsuritama on blu-ray. 12 episodes. Fate/Zero BD boxes are 39,900yen and 35,700yen respectively. Aniplex always overprices their 1-cour shows, and they tend to bomb as a result. Madoka was really a fluke.

Woah, what the hell are they thinking?

/XX/

The director certainly has a deep passion for the material, seeing how he didn't just direct and storyboard it, but he also did the character designs and all the key animation for the entire 30 minute piece, including the opening and ending sequences.
And what an ending that was... beautifully haunting!

Nasu is still pretending that he's going to write more DDD (after Mahoyo 2 and 3 and Tsukihime remake), but an anime adaptation seems like a stretch.
With this synergistic multimedia pushes some companies like to organize, and Mr. Nasu's credentials, I think a sudden adaptation is always a possibility.

With this synergistic multimedia pushes some companies like to organize, and Mr. Nasu's credentials, I think a sudden adaptation is always a possibility.

To be synergistic, Nasu would have to actually write more of it. Even he speaks of it like it's some far off dream. Mahoyo 1 took 5 years, he's supposedly going to go back to DDD after Mahoyo 2 +3, Fate/Extra CCC, and the Tsukihime remake is done. George Martin might finish ASOIAF before that happens.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Are they trying to target the Lupin fanbase (rather than regular otaku) with that price?

Lupin catalog BDs are really cheap too. You can get the entire first series for 12k yen and 30 episode series 2 boxes for 12-14k yen each. They also have singles available.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Bwahaha. That's absurd. No one will buy the BDs at 3,400 yen/episode. The series is good, but not that good.

Oh well.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Best Student Council 06

This show is so dumb. lol

If I had the ability to, I would smother Rino with a pillow and rid her from the world.

It certainly seems like publishers are increasingly trying to push the limits of what they can charge. 2 episodes per volume seems increasingly common. This season we also have Sengoku Collection at 12 volumes for 7350 yen each - yes, you have to pay 88,200 yen for the privilege of owning all of Sengoku Collection. I recall the case of Nichijou as well, 13 volumes at 7980 yen each. I wonder how far this will go before it reaches the breaking point.

duckroll

Sometimes, shaming is in order. So for the clarification of everyone who isn't aware, this is the piece of artwork which 7th claims is "a hundred of times better than anything or anyone from the entire Fate franchise":

5AGvt.jpg

*laughs*

trejo

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 7

People weren't kidding about the whole Persona thing. I half expected Charlie to show up at some point.

Mysteries are getting revealed, clues are being given here and there and the show keeps being visually interesting, for the most part. I liked it.

Space Bros 8

One of the issues when a show is as good as this one is that there's not a whole lot one can say week by week without coming off as a broken record. Show continues being very entertaining and Mutta continues being a delightful main character.

Fate/Zero 19

Not the bees!

Pretty awesome episode.

Sometimes, shaming is in order. So for the clarification of everyone who isn't aware, this is the piece of artwork which 7th claims is "a hundred of times better than anything or anyone from the entire Fate franchise":

5AGvt.jpg

*laughs*

Maybe not a hundred of times better than Fate but it looks interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom