• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

There was a visual sequence early on in the second episode of Kids on the Slope that I really liked:

iPZ4OVMRFKfTU.jpg

ibt77OE8Sa8ktR.jpg

ibbEHRNjvcPIXe.jpg

These shots are all spaced several shots apart, but I really enjoyed how they illustrated Kaoru's cousin's idle curiosity without drawing attention to it. A less confident director would have cut to a closeup of her watching him at some point, but here they just leave her unobtrusively small and unfocused within the frame. It's a good decision because his cousin really isn't an important part of this scene, but it's a nice little touch to add some visual fun to the scene and a little bit of characterization for a minor character.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Strawberry Panic 11

Tamao... stuck in that goddamn friend zone.

What episode are you on Wonzo?

There was a visual sequence early on in the second episode of Kids on the Slope that I really liked:

These shots are all spaced several shots apart, but I really enjoyed how they illustrated Kaoru's cousin's idle curiosity without drawing attention to it. A less confident director would have cut to a closeup of her watching him at some point, but here they just leave her unobtrusively small and unfocused within the frame. It's a good decision because his cousin really isn't an important part of this scene, but it's a nice little touch to add some visual fun to the scene and a little bit of characterization for a minor character.

I really did enjoy that whole sequence. I actually didn't notice her head poking up during the first shot, but I did during the scenes where he was actually playing the piano. It works nicely with everything going on around it, and the way the scenes are cut together work for Kaoru's ongoing development. The visuals and music communicate his feelings pretty well, and there are a lot of small little touches that bring it all to life.

Articalys

Yeah, I noticed that in the scene as well -- I was wondering if they were going to show a reaction shot from her point of view, and when they didn't, I simply put it out of mind, but when you phrase it like this I can see why it was better to not do so.
I liked the repeated shots of him running up and down the stairs as well.

Instro

These shots are all spaced several shots apart, but I really enjoyed how they illustrated Kaoru's cousin's idle curiosity without drawing attention to it. A less confident director would have cut to a closeup of her watching him at some point, but here they just leave her unobtrusively small and unfocused within the frame. It's a good decision because his cousin really isn't an important part of this scene, it's just a nice little touch to add some visual fun to the scene.

It was rather neat in the sense that the audience(or at least me anyway) is expecting her to come bursting in the room, but it never actually happens. Or at least some sort of close up as you mentioned. In my mind I am thinking, "I've seen this before. She's going to come in and then he will start bumbling around to trying to hide what he is doing, etc etc."

It became a nice extra detail to the scene instead, I like that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well, the best way to recommend an anime is to some it up in a neat catchprase or write a whole thread for it. I've already done that for Rose of Versailles, Mushi-Shi, Angel's Egg, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (0 posts, you guys suck), Giant Robo, Patlabor, Kaiji/One Outs, GAINAX and Master Keaton. It tends to be the stuff that I am most passionate about.
Everytime you make a LoGH post you should PM me.
At least Devil over in SC II GAF is watching it now after waiting a year.
Giant Robo was good and I'm glad you recommended it.
One Outs I watched on my own after hearing about Akagi, didn't like Kaiji that much.

I'll get to Patlabor and Versailles eventually.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So you haven't watched the original Saki series that this is a spinoff of?
No familiarity with it.
There isn't even all that much mahjong in this episode... what confused you, can you explain?
Mahjong itself played no real role in the major plot but the game itself might as well have just been people flipping tiles and making up words for all that could come across to me. As such, I had no idea what they were actually doing or what any of the terminology they used meant. While I appreciate the involved response most of it with the names still flies over my head, so it's probably not worth me going too in-depth on, particularly if I'm not watching more of the show.

Jintor

I got that, I just don't like weekly waiting for things ever. Unless it's wrapped in Toonami.

We don't archive links to previous threads in the OP, do we? Guess it's just NeoGAF Search for now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Eureka Seven AO 02

Still not liking the fact that the writers keep shoving all these affiliations and technobabble indiscriminately. I don't know what or who or where the fuck everything is going on, but at least I have turned around on my feelings of it. It had some nice set pieces and Ao no longer seems like a whiny brat. I just hope they tone down on the exposition.

The OP song is really good. I don't get the hate.

Branduil

I got that, I just don't like weekly waiting for things ever. Unless it's wrapped in Toonami.

We don't archive links to previous threads in the OP, do we? Guess it's just NeoGAF Search for now.

Not like it will be hard to find old threads now. We haven't even filled one page of OT Community yet.

Narag

Angel Beats 3

This is pretty bad when it gets to be serious time. The slow motion sequence looked so awkward too like an image ghosting.

You need to pick a different picture. that one has really played its course.

I kept looking for it when I was watching the first ep and never saw it as i kept looking away.
Likely for the best.

cajunator

Banned
Nah its not terrible. It just isn't very good.
It's more interesting visually than other KEY shows. Although AIR had some pretty visuals too. The art is definitely inconsistent though. But DAT MUSIC.

Jintor

Not like it will be hard to find old threads now. We haven't even filled one page of OT Community yet.

I just like to go through older OTs to grab summaries, GAF is the fastest way to do that without getting sidetracked. I just thought it'd be nice to see it linked in the OP or something.

Anyway, tell me about Crunchyroll. Can I get an App to put it streaming onto a Rokubox or something, or is it PC only? Are they still terrible things or did are they totes legit now? Their website layout is terrible. Well, it's functional, but it reminds me more of YouTube than anything.

Defuser

Eureka Seven AO 02

Still not liking the fact that the writers keep shoving all these affiliations and technobabble indiscriminately. I don't know what or who or where the fuck everything is going on, but at least I have turned around on my feelings of it. It had some nice set pieces and Ao no longer seems like a whiny brat. I just hope they tone down on the exposition.

The OP song is really good. I don't get the hate.

That's the same feeling I get when I watch the first episode. It's too much for me to take it in.

Branduil

Nah its not terrible. It just isn't very good.
It's more interesting visually than other KEY shows. Although AIR had some pretty visuals too. The art is definitely inconsistent though. But DAT MUSIC.

No, the KyoAni KEY shows far exceed the others visually. It's really not even close.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Instead of the overarching story I found the mini-stories and individual pocket stories interesting. Maybe it's just me

Koroviev

I just like to go through older OTs to grab summaries, GAF is the fastest way to do that without getting sidetracked. I just thought it'd be nice to see it linked in the OP or something.

Anyway, tell me about Crunchyroll. Can I get an App to put it streaming onto a Rokubox or something, or is it PC only? Are they still terrible things or did are they totes legit now? Their website layout is terrible. Well, it's functional, but it reminds me more of YouTube than anything.

Yep. Also available on Apple and Android devices.

Website is legit. Premium members have access to HD-quality streaming and early access to simulcasts.

Narag

Legit and http://www.crunchyroll.com/devices

Crunchyroll is great, totally legit. Good video quality and good organization. You may criticize their website layout, but I haven't seen another anime streaming site match it except Hulu. I know they have an iOS app, and I think they have ones for Roku and the like as well. As long as they've got shows you're interested in, I highly recommend it.

cajunator

Banned
No, the KyoAni KEY shows far exceed the others visually. It's really not even close.

NO. I have all of them, and I'm inclined to disagree. the UGUU-style of the others is not as visually pleasing IMO. The character designs with GIGANTIC EYES is kind of stupid looking overall. Definitely kind of derpycute but still just really weird. I much prefer the visuals of Angel Beats.

No familiarity with it.
I could tell, yeah. It certainly makes a lot more sense within the context of what it's a spinoff from.

Mahjong itself played no real role in the major plot but the game itself might as well have just been people flipping tiles and making up words for all that could come across to me. As such, I had no idea what they were actually doing or what any of the terminology they used meant. While I appreciate the involved response most of it with the names still flies over my head, so it's probably not worth me going too in-depth on, particularly if I'm not watching more of the show.
They do explain some of the more important terms in the original series. You really should watch that and see if you understand it more after watching a few episodes. It's on crunchyroll.

Those are pretty much my impressions after watching the first episode about a week ago. I kind of felt derp because the show didn't bother explaining Mahjong the way Chihayafuru explained Karuta. I also had a wtf moment again with the bonding montage. The whole episode made me feel like the one person in the group of people who didn't understand a joke and just sort of smiles stupidly wondering what in the world people heard that I didn't.
Once again, Achiga is a spinoff and they didn't entirely design it for new viewers who also know nothing about mahjong, clearly. Maybe they should have, but with their time limitations, they didn't.

Basically though, it's sort of like poker -- each player has a hand of tiles, which make up several suits and then various single tiles not in the suits, and they can play them in certain combinations that make them points. They also can pick tiles off of the wall of tiles in front of another player, or pick up discards. Obviously, in reality the former would be pretty random, but in Saki... not so much, for some characters. :p

But really, as I said above, you people who haven't watched the original show should solve that problem by going to crunchyroll now and watching it! Saki's there, subbed, and it's great!

Wait.... so why does everyone hate on Angel Beats? I didn't think it was terrible.

They hated on Key first, Angel Beats hate was a natural product of that.

Why so many people here all hate Key so, so much, though... that one I don't understand, no. I know Key isn't for everyone, but the degree of hatred, and near-unanimity of it, are pretty absurd.

Jintor

Fuckin' sweet.

I really need to get around to fitting out my home theatre properly so I can actually take advantage of this crazy ass bullshit.

Can you download shows to HDD in case my network goes crazy? Because I live in Australia and shit gets fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom